Twilightpeaks.net

RoE Archive => RoE2 Archives => Legends of the Hero-Kings => Topic started by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 26, 2009, 10:30:37 pm

Title: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 26, 2009, 10:30:37 pm
1.

Assuming all players and DM accepts I will copy-paste from adventures mail thread and here. I wait for permission. Should permission come I will take the last post in mail thread and put in bottom of 7. and then work backwards finishing te task by putting the first IC entries at the top of this thread.

Feel free

Having the permission I have started with the last entries - for all I care the adventure can carry on while I work my way back to the start.

[Done: Adventure can continue in this thread. Everything should be posted including now apparently irrelevant OoC from myself and others.

Please post me if anything is missing or put in the wrong order and I'll fix it. Bjørn & Jon can do as they will - I dont know to what extend they can controll forum
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 26, 2009, 10:31:31 pm
Bjørn:
You’ve all gathered in Serien, which is a good jumping of point for the expedition.

Mhistecai has sent her lieutenant Shauna Nolan to represent her; this former cleric of Nesirie is also quite knowledgeable with regards to the arcane, and supposedly some form of apprentice (to Mhistecai). In addition there is a body-guard of knights led by Ser Fedéren Cerien, another high-ranking official.

Baron Zenneth is sending along a small contingent of knights as well as Daerla Faieme – supposedly the late Baron’s spymaster.

The rest will have to speak for themselves.


IHH:
Wallac Isilviere bring along a bodyguard of 20 templars and a henchman seemingly of sidhe origins. Some kind of mix between Sorcerer and Eldritch Knight (in a Haelyn temple!)

[OoC: KoH offered assistance for adventures and since no other CoT adventure seems to come up and running I'll ask him to join this one

Oops forgot to add him as CC]


ETN:
Maire Cwyllmie brings with her 15 female bodyguards under command of paladin Celina Geren.

"May I suggest we gather in Serien ETN temple for a prayer and little protective ritual before ve leave on our way?"


EOM:
Sarae Somellin has brought with her two of her henchmen: Welton (you'll find a description of him in the forum at the following link http://roe.twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=297.0) (http://roe.twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=297.0)) and another young man with a mask from which one can only see two bautiful green-eyes. 15 armed men of EOM guards will escort her.
 
Sarae adresses politely all the regents, the, to ETN's High Priestess
 
"I'm glad you joined us."


KoH Dispatch to IHH:

Your Imperial Holiness,

I've already committed to travelling to Northern Alamie to try and put down the undead menace there.  You asked me to join you, I have to decline.  I recognize your authority, if you order me to go, I will, but Alamie is closer to home, and its a problem that's been troubling my neighbor for a long time.

Your Servant, Guy de Nichalier

IHH Dispatch to KoH:
"Grand Maester,

In this regard I give you no orders. I was under the impression you where uncommitted and on standby and thus I asked you to join.

I hope we will be of enough strength for the Obelisk.

Good luck with putting down the undead menace in Alamie.


In faith

Wallac Isilviere
High Prefect IHH
Pontiff CoT"


Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor attends with 20 or so men lead by a man he addresses as Captain Oeberon.   They do not give the appearance of regular men-at-arms.

The Governor himself is dressed lightly in studded leather, and a dark grey cloak for travel through the wilderness, a number of small daggers and a short sword strapped to his waist.  He seems surprised to see the Pontiff gathered among the travelling party but he pays him due respect.

He nods to the other leaders and representatives of the powers within Mieres and smiles wryly.  "One big happy family then."

"Please allow me to introduce Captain Oeberon.  He will be with us to ensure that we don't fall prey to any nasty suprises along the way.  I would caution that although the Gnolls were thwarted last season they were not wiped out, but scattered into the wilderness."

"Are we ready to proceed then?"

EOM:
Sarae Somellin gladly welcomes the arrival of the Governor and of his men.
 
she watches all of her companions and she said
 
"I can start whenver you want"


IHH:
The Pontiff gives the govenor a curt nod.

"Yes I believe we are ready to proceed"

[OoC: If I am not mistaken we number around 100 people bodyguards including]
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 26, 2009, 10:33:41 pm
Bjørn:
A week later you are deep in the forested and rugged interior of Thenial; it takes time to move such a large party as yours – there may be security in numbers, but there is no speed, nor secrecy. You have left behind the relative civilization of Serien and Dhalier, and are now deep in a land untouched by human hands. And unless you’re a deer or a goblin, there are no tracks or trails here either. But you have guides skilled in woodcraft and knowledgeable about the region, and there is no question about getting lost. Nor are the warm woods of Mieres in autumn unpleasant to travel through, they are dry and warm, but you have plenty of rations and water, and suffer no hardship.

 

Seeing as both the EOM and Mhi knows where to find the Obelisk, that also proves quite unproblematic, and you arrive without incident.

 

It is a strange thing this Obelisk. It towers a hundred feet above the ground, and probably a good piece buried in the dirt as well, a massive shard of darkest obsidian. It appears not to have been worked by any tool, yet it does have a certain shape to it, a certain geometrical symmetry that the eyes finds pleasing, one that draws the attention of the weak-willed and keep them looking at it, seeking to find hidden patterns in the darkness…already several of those who have travelled here with you are staring at it, oblivious to their surroundings…

 

Within thirty feet of the Obelisk nothing grows, and beyond that radius only some hardy mosses cover the ground…and every tree within half a mile looks sickened or dead, but covered by vines and lichen that seem to thrive well enough. Those of you that fashion yourselves men of reason wonder suddenly for how long the Obelisk has sat here – not forever, or the trees would be all de dead and rotted, not just sickened…something to take into account.

IHH:
Wallac thinking out loud remark to his Sidhe companion that another possibility is perhaps the Obelisk has changed recently - or the use of the Obelisk has. The trees surely hold some kind of key to unlocking parth of the mystery about the Obelisk.

Regardless I dont think wantom starring directly at the Obelisk for prolonged time is healthy.

Wallac instructs his bodyguards to take care not to keep starring at the huge obsidian stone. Then he turns to the others.

"May I suggest everybody take care not to starre at the Obelisk for too long"


Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor shakes his head for a moment and rubs his eyes he scowls for a moment and mutters something to himself.  He moves to Captain Oeberon and comments;

"We may be here for some time, and I suspect we left a trial through the wilderness obvious enough for a blind man to find.  Perhaps it best to send some men into the surrounding area to ensure nothing is sneaking up on us while we investigate."

EOM:
Sare Somellin agrees to both suggestion of the Pontiff and the Governor...


ETN:
Maire scans the obelisk and its surroundings with all detection magic at her disposal (OOC: Detect Evil is of particular importance).

"Perhaps it is the time , dear Sarae,  you can finally tell us. What ways did you plan to use this Obelisk in?"


EOM:
"For now I only want to secure the area and then EOM will start to build right near a Chapel to Eloèle."
 
OOC: I'll be out until monday morning. If Bjorn and Jon need, they can freely move Sarae and her followers since they know for sure what are Sarae's goals for this adventure

IHH:
[OoC I'll be out for the weekend in less than an hour. Returned late sunday GMT +1]
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 26, 2009, 10:33:53 pm
Mieres & SAS/AV:
"Perhaps we can be a little more detailed about what we know this thing."  The Governor looks at his co-travellers, and in particular Sarae and Shauna,  "I know little to nothing about the mystical, the shadow world, or anything of that nature.  In fact the extent of my ability to investigate  this thing would be to take this rock," the Governor states picking up a fist sized stone, "and throw it at the Obelisk to see what happens."

"What I do know is that this thing is a causing a great deal of tension and chaos which neither I nor the Baron can afford right now.  So I would really appreciate it if someone would explain to me exactly just what in the Burning Pits this thing is or where it comes from.  Your best guesses would do at the very least."

The Governor looks at the stone in his hand for a moment, shrugs, and hurls the stone at the Obelisk.

Bjørn:
The stone hits the Obelisk, and then sticks to it. It is strange that such a little thing – a stone that does not fall – can feel so profoundly unnatural. Sorcery…only sorcery can turn the nature of things around and make it other. You can all feel it, to one it is a strange taste to the air, to another it feels like the air has become thick and hard to breath, to yet another it is a tingling feeling down the spine…

 

The Obelisk suddenly explodes outward, turning into a million razor-sharp shards of rock that lance through the air. The quick or the lucky mange to evade the worst, while the heavily armoured generally make it though without serious injury; a score men are, however, killed or severely injured.

 

The shards of the Obelisk start swirling around and around, shredding the trees and vegetation in a 300-foot radius. It lasts for several minutes, accompanied by a cacophony of shrieking noises emanating from the cloud of rocks. Beyond the swirl you can see the rest of the group, including the pack and riding animals; they have come under attack by gnolls! Arrows are flying through the air, and gnoll warriors are leaping into melee with your men!

IHH:
Pontiff Wallac Isilviere:

"This cannot be a coincidence - within 10 yards of the Obelisk nothing grows, beyond those 10 yards only mosses and untill getting something like half a mile away from the Obelisk all tree's seems to be dead or dying. The when upon a stones impact the Obelisk explodes?"

The Pontiffs voice fade as he realizes the danger the explorers suddenly find themself in.

"Move away from the Obelisk and defend, The Gnolls are upon us.
Divine Haelyn, master of strategies and battle. All Father - please lend your children your help and give your sevant a small part of your skill that I may lead the men in battle defeating the vile Gnolls. Justicars to me, shields in tortoise formation. Forward in quick steps we engage head on!"

Lachlan gestures and seems to invoke some arcane protection and then he unleash hell against the Gnolls, ancient enemies of the Sidhe and not counted among those worthy to spare. Eldritch energy gathers in the hands of the elf only to be released in mighty clashes of thunder again and again.

[OoC: Mark I liked your last mail a lot and laughed my arse off reading it twice. I could hardly resist doing something similar myself before I left for weekend but I guess it was better someone else triggered the action since I was not able to respond before late in the weekend.
Clubbing time lol]

EOM:
Sarae looks quickly at the Governor "You're much more experienced than me in fights. Do we have chances to rebound gnolls' attack?"
Then Sarae gathers all of her men alive and put in turtoise formation near the Pontiff's men crying the others regent to do the same with their soldiers and encouraging her minions.
 
ooC: Bjorn, are AAs of mine still alive?
 
Ooc2: went out for the week-end. I'm coming back for an hard work-day and to add more pain the Obelisk is destroyed :-) ah...Mark...but Kasper is right...your action was funny...but deep in y heart I was feeling it eventually our expeditiion would have ended in a mess :-)


Bjørn:
There is a tiny problem; between group of named characters (and a smattering of aides and guards) and the baggage/guards vs. gnolls fight there is a swirling mass of obsidian shards that will present a considerable hazard to anyone venturing though.

It is also difficult to fully see/heard what is going on; between the roar of the obsidian cloud and the shredded foliage there is considerable concealment.

ETN:
"Sarae, it is time to use your knowledge of using Obelisk. Stop those rocks if you can and return obelisk into its original shape."

Then Maire looks around and thinks loudly.

"Is there a mean to form a barrier either material or magic into path of those swirling stones and slip away or inside under its cover?"

Jon:
OoC: That'll teach you not to bring heathens to a believers ball ;)

Bjørn:
Sarae prays to Eloéle for guidance in this difficult time, and here prayers are heard - by channeling the dine power of the Mistress of Thieves, she returns to Obelisk to its original shape by turning the shards into obsidian mist that quickly reforms into a great standing stone.

You are no longer separated from you other companions, but there is still the issue with the gnolls - without the shards to shield you the gnolls start firing their bows at your too.

EOM:
Sarae watches at Mairie and the Pontiff: "Now I hope you trust me. I'm able to control it and I don't want to harm you or to destabilyze the region"
 
The Sarae tries to avoid the arrows and looks at the battlefield:
 
1) Are the gnolls being repelled? or are they winning over our forces?
 
2) are AA of Sarae in her sight?

ETN:
Maire's bodyguards gather aroudn her and after quick blessing only 2 remain to protect her while Celine Geren leads the rest in formation against the gnolls. Other groups more or less quickly follow similar pattern and soon uneven wedge of groups drives deep into gnoll band.
Pontiff's assistant finally gets his chance and with burst of strange magic the gnoll archers are shrouded in veil of flames, while Maire is saving her power for healing after battle and looks around in anticipation of another nasty surprise.
Meanwhile, gnolls waver under determined onslaught and some of them are actually starting to run away.

Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor picks himself up off the ground from where he dove for cover and curses quite loudly, using words you are almost certain are not even remotely appropriate for unpleasant company.

He looks quickly around for Captain Oeberon and calls over what few men of his are near.  As arrows fly by he moves over to one of the already fallen dead and lifts the body up for cover.  What men he has do the same as they attempt to use the bodies as cover to close the distance with the Gnolls.

Some can clearly hear the Governor yell out, I want one of them alive enough to talk!!

EOM:
Sarae Somellin rallies her survivor men "The Lady of Mysteries is with us since we've find the sacred Obelisk...She won't abandon us....and the Governor's right. One of the gnoll must be left alive."

Bjørn:
Finding a live gnoll will not be a problem, seeing as they keep arriving in greater numbers by the minute. They must have known – either by treason or magic – you were coming and prepared accordingly. You are hopelessly outnumbered, surrounded, and soon to be very dead unless you do something quickly.

IHH:
Either EOM will be able to use the Obelisk to defend us or we will have to flee.

"Sarae seeing you are blessed by divine favour perhaps you can put the Obelisk in use defending us? If not we will have to flee right now or be quite dead"

Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor looks around scowls.  Not today he mutters to himself.  Grasping the desperate nature of the situation he glances at the Obelisk for a second and seems to have the same idea as the High Pontiff - he just doesn't wait for the High Priestess.  He attempts to get his companions attention and calls out to begin falling back to the Obelisk away from the Gnolls.

As soon as he has a moment he hefts another stone from the ground and calls out - We need some breathing space!  Get behind someone armored or someone already dead!  The Governor pauses for a moment and braces to duck behind another of the fallen or behind an enemy and prepares to strike the Obelisk yet again.

IHH:
Realizing the inovative Govenor is about to detonate the Obelisk once more Wallac Isilviere exclaims:

"My Lord, NO! Dont. Leave that to the High Priestess. We dont want to agrivate divine Eloéle by unmaking har recent intervention. Let her servant do what needs to be done. At the very least let the Gnolls get closer to the Obelisk so they can get a better taste of Obsidian"

Not trusting the Govenor to have heard his warning the Pontiff direct those around him to find the best available cover.

Lachlan is working himself into a frenzy throwing great balls of fire and lightning at the gnolls buying time for the rest to find cover

Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor holds for a moment at the Pontiff's words.  He looks for Shauna and Sarae in the specifically in the chaos and calls out, If anyone is going to pull a rabbit out of their hat NOW would be a GOOD TIME!!!

OOC: The Governor doesn't really WANT to do this, but is pretty desperate.  He is going to hold for a moment to see if someone has a better solution, otherwise he will take his chances and re-activate the Obelisk.  He will try and give everyone of the men time to get within the radius and behind some cover, and will try and catch as many Gnolls in the stone clouds as possible.

IHH:
[OoC: For all I care we can do the adventure in forum thread for the others to enjoy]

EOM:
Sarae Somellin looks at the Obelisk and mutters some arcane words asking for the blessings of Her Beloved Goddess (OOC: Sarae will try to use to Obelisk to repel the gnolls)
 
OOC: I agree with Kasper, we could move into the forum

ETN:
OOC: Im not sure to what extent is RoE I history applicable to RoE II. I read in old RoE forum mention that Sarae used the Obelisk to teleport herself and group of other people to Valley of Mist to fight Red Wind. So she can do it again and teleport us out of there, right?

Bjørn:
That she can do; although I'd like to point out that it is not teleportation, but a shadow walk, so you'll be spending some time in the SW...what is your intended destination.

EOM:
Sarae Somellin kneels towards the Obelisk and starts praying
 
"Mighty Eloèle, Goddess of Night, your humble and trustful servant needs you in this hard hour. Show to those foul and heathen creatures how mighty are your powers and blast them with no harm to us. A beautiful chapel will be built here to remember the sign of your presence and followers forever will chant your name. I, Sarae Somellin, highest of your worshipers, but humblest in front of you, will personally lead them. Sister of Thieves help us"

Bjørn:
The surface of the Obelisk turns silky smooth and you can see your own reflection in it…when the Governor’s second rock hits it, it simply passes into the Obelisk…

ETN:
Guards are retreating towards the Obelisk where Sarae is praying. The possibility of breaktrough and flight is abandoned now. Maire and Wallac are caring for injured so that they could if not fight then move themselves back with the retreating fellows. Warriors are preparing for heroic last stand and mix of determination, fatigue and fatalism is in their faces.

Mieres & SAS/AV:
The Governor orders a few of his men through the Obelisk quickly to
secure the other side.  He then calls out for cover fire as he moves
to attempt to recover the fallen form of Daerla Faieme.  He seems hell
bent to reach her whether she is dead or alive some some reason.

If he can reach her body relatively safely he will drag her back
through the Obelisk with what few men he has remaining here.

IHH:
[OoC: As I understand Bjørns last post the Obelisk is now an opening to the Shadow World; the stone throwed by the Govenor passed to the SW and if we want to escape this is the way. I've held back posting because the Obelisk is EOM's show but I'll make an attempt now]

IC:
Wallac tending the wounded at first dont realize the Obelisk has changed. Why the Obelisk did not explode with the Govenors second rock impacting was but a mystery.. Untill the possibility of an escape route dawns on him.

"Look, the second rock passed into the Obelisk. Perhaps thats our way out - we can go through the Obelisk. Sarea, I dont know exactly what you did to the Obelisk but it sure changed it. Dont you think this is our way out?"

IHH:
Wallac orders some of his men to assist the Govenor and the rest to cover the retreat.

Lachlan wait for the priests of ETN & EOM and then he and Wallac follows through the Obelisk.

EOM:
Sarae finds a moment for a brief smile " looks like we must take a little walk in the Shadow world...will you dare? surely I don't know what will await us there"

IHH:
Wallac agrees.

"I've survived the Shadow World before - the Shadow World in it self needs not to be dangerous - as Anuire there seems to be parts to avoid and parts to enjoy. Lets go!"

Bjørn:
Moving forward.

The Governor manages to haul the injured woman back to the Obelisk, and you retreat into the Shadow World under a hail of arrows – protected by a sound Anuirean shield-wall that would have made Role proud. Two score men make it through, which is not bad considering the circumstances of this ambush.
 

All is not well, however, for the Obelisk continues to be ‘open’ and the gnolls start charging through it to engage you. Once again Anuirean discipline wins the day, and the gnolls are repulsed several times, until their will to attack is gone…which is good, for had they stormed en masse you would have been unable to stop them.

 

You can still see the Daylight World – it is a lot like looking through a stained-glass window – and suddenly you see a large shape wading forth through the mass of gnolls outside. At first glance it look like a centaur – one of the horse-men of the wastes – but it quickly becomes apparent that it is not. Instead of being an amalgamation between horse and man, this creature appears a mix of man and lion. It shakes a great spear towards the Obelisk, and suddenly three more of these creatures leap over the gnoll ranks and charge towards the Obelisk…the gnolls surge after them…

IHH:
"Sare if you and your deity hold any sway over the Obelisk, now would be a good time to close the gateway to the Shadow World and for us to make way to another entry far away to the world of the living. Those Lion-men seems not to be reasoned with and hold sway over the Gnolls far too much for my liking"

Wallac, Lachlan and what remains of Wallacs Templars try to hold back the gnoll hordes as the High Priestess of EOM close the Obelisk's gate to the Shadow World with us on the inside, and hopefully, not too many of the Gnolls with us.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 27, 2009, 07:50:46 am
Sarae Somellin prays for guidance from the Mistress of Night and try to lock the Obelisk's gate
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 27, 2009, 12:02:29 pm
And just for the case Sarae fails, Maire prepares prayer to Nesirie for helping to hasten the effect of Shadow Ward cast on Thenial (OOC: as in my DO).
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 27, 2009, 12:27:10 pm
The lion-men leap towards the Obelisk just as Sarae manages to close the gate; for a moment the trio hangs motionless in mid-air, before the stained-glass window fills with gray mist, obscuring them and the Daylight World. Then the mist is gone too, leaving you alone.

There is and Obelisk on this side of the Veil as well, when you stepped into the Obelisk on the other side, you stepped out of it on this side. And when you looked back out, you were looking though the Obelisk. Now you see only dark obsidian...

Around you is the forest, much as it appeared on the other side. Everything is darker though, seeing as there is no sun, only a faint moon high overhead. To the north and west of you the Starspire Mountains loom much higher than they do in the real world.

Shauna Nolan: We are safe for now, but we are trapped in the Shadow World, which is not good. The only exit that I know of is located in the Valley of Mist, but getting there would be impossible (she points at the mountains) on this side of the Veil - the mountains remember that once they were greater than today, and that memory is real in the Shadow World...

The Governor and the Pontiff: Meanwhile the two of them is trying as best they can to preserve the life of the Baron's representative.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 27, 2009, 12:30:55 pm
Sarae tries to commune with Eloèle for guidance and advice
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 27, 2009, 12:52:56 pm
"Sarae, you did that journey from Obelisk to Valley of Mist once before, didn't you? How was it back then?"

Then Maire thinks some more and speaks again

"And about the mountains ... hmm. They may remember they were high but we all know they are much lower now. So we may be able to persuade them that they are not as big as they try to appear." (OOC: That may sound like Pratchet but it is not meant to be funny)
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 27, 2009, 01:15:28 pm
Sarae tries to commune with Eloèle for guidance and advice

The gods are notoriously uncommunicative when it comes to worldly affairs...you're a priest, you're supposed to solve the problems...and anyway, the gods of Cerilia have little power in this place - the Shadow World. Even your goddess does not walk here, her domain is the shadows of the Daylight World.

The last time you were here you were able to use the Obelisk to shadow-walk to the Valley of Mist, but this is different. Now you are here, in the SW, whereas the last time you merely passed through it on your way to another place.

Finding an exit is one goal...but it still leaves the question...why are you really here, and what were you trying to accomplish? Your 'claim' to the physical manifestation of the Obelisk seem somewhat contested by the gnolls, and until that is solved you're no closer to a solution.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 27, 2009, 01:41:38 pm
The Governor is kneeling beside the body of Daerla Faieme attempting to aid the Pontiff as best he can.  He attempts to carefully remove as much of her armor and clothing as possible to allow the High Pontiff to better inspect her wound.  "No time for propriety..." he mutters as he works.

He looks around and orders any of the Baron's men (if any are remaining) to search out for some materials so that something can be made to carry Faieme since, if she even survives, she likely will not be able to walk under her own power for long, if at all.

To the Pontiff he points out a large piece of obsidian sticking out from under her left armpit, and it doesn't look good.  He questions the Pontiff as to whether pulling it out would cause her to "...bleed out like a stuck pig...."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 27, 2009, 02:33:04 pm
To Bjorn: are my AA's still with us?
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 27, 2009, 02:36:47 pm
Maybe it would be good to make a summary: What named characters are still alive and able and how many guards from each faction.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 28, 2009, 10:29:46 am
My goal for comming to the Obelisk is partly resolved - I wanted to learn something about its location, nature and who if any that took an interest in it. I believe the Gnolls have pretty much showed an interest in keeping the Obelisk to themself and their masters.

We have little or no chance to remove the Gnolls physically and thus what remains is to get escape from this place and the Gnolls. I suggest we heal the wounded and count heads. Lets find out what resources we have left and then discus what options we have left.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 28, 2009, 03:17:57 pm
After some time spent by resting and tending to wounded, Maire gets attention of survivors and speaks:

"Fear not, men and women of Anuire. Here, in the Shadow World, we are safe from the gnolls now. We are also well protected from shadowspawns by grace of Nesirie, they have no power over you. There is a gate in Valley of Mist leading back to our world and we will reach it one way or another. Just have faith and endure whatever lies before us and we will make it home soon. Then we will assemble an army, return to Thenial and cut the gnolls to pieces. So our most pressing task now is to find Valley of Mist."

Then Maire pauses for moment and turns to regents:

"Sarae Somellin and Shauna Nolan know the way and they will guide us. Pontiff Wallac Isilviere is a wise man and military leader with expirience of Shadow, he will be our commander. Governor, can you please organize a vanguard and shield us from another nasty surprises?"

Then back to common audience:

"Now, who of you are able to walk themselves and  who will need a help?"

OOC: Quick summary of people present and their shape would be really helpful
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 28, 2009, 06:11:21 pm
"I will gladly use knowledges of mine for reaching the Valley of Mist"

OOC: I agree with Kasper's and Libor's requests
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 28, 2009, 06:45:05 pm
The Governor will attempt to ensure that the Pontiff and if necessary the Priestess focus on keeping Faieme alive before making a head count.  He points out that his ability to tend and heal wounds is about on par with his ability to interact with mystical artifacts and "We all saw how well that went last time."

Once Faieme is tended to (whether she lives or not) the Governor discusses the situation with the other regents away from the men.

"Moving out now is not a good idea.  We should make camp here for a few hours at least before we decide what to do next. 

I will send what scouts I have around to make sure there are no enemies near but we need to let the injured rest for a time and take stock of our supplies.  I'm not sure if we even have enough food or water to reach the Valley of Mists - and I'm not sure I trust what can be found around here


Sarae can you see through the Obelisk to the other side without... uh... 'opening' it again so to speak?  I would like to see if we can observe our enemies without them seeing us if possible.


Shauna - you are the only one who knows an actual way out of here.  I need you to write down directions for the rest of us yourself in case we get separated.  I'd like to be prepared for the worst...."


The Governor looks around for a moment and finishes his though, "...if things actually can get any worse."
.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 28, 2009, 11:24:21 pm
"You can see Governor, that we have no supplies and very little water. It was all with our baggage and now gnolls have it. That is another reason to set out as soon as possible. We will have to at least get to water. I don't object against few hours rest but we can hardly expect all injured to recover sufficiently in such a short time. All what I, Pontiff and Sarae could do is done already. Others will have to wait. No one have died from their wounds, but we have some people like Faieme that won't move without help. Anyway, we have to go. I suggest you send your people forth to search for water and once they find it, we move there."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 29, 2009, 03:31:36 am
"Beg your pardon Priestess, but it might take some time to find food or water and we should prepare for that possibility. "

The Governor surveys the region briefly before continuing,

"Like it or not, we are stuck here for a least a day or so since we don’t have enough supplies to simply guess the best direction to head.   We have very little food or water now, but a man traveling through the wilderness uses far more than one at rest, even without the sun beating down on them.  The men shouldn’t be made to march unless we are certain they are marching towards more supplies."

"Which, of course, raises another problem.  The enemy knows where we came through, and therefore where we are now.  I wouldn’t assume that they have no way to follow us – and they clearly have been trying to use the Obelisk themselves for some time.  If Sarae cannot make any further use of the Obelisk it may be wise to move a short distance from it and fortify our position in case of attack while we wait for the scouts to return."

"As for the Valley – if it is as Shauna says – impossible to reach, perhaps we should consider another alternative.  Where else might we find a place to cross over?"

Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 29, 2009, 10:43:45 am
A head count reveals that a surprising number of Anuireans have survived; probably thanks to their toughness and discipline. When the gnolls attacked, these men did not panic, but gathered togetehr and formed defensive lines. Gnolls are mean lean killing machines, but when faced with heavily armored and disciplined formations neither their archers nor individual ferocity count for much. The Obsidian shards killed quite a few and injured many more, but by and large you've  not done too badly...and Lady Faieme is the only person of importance to be badly injured/dead (Btw: Maire is renowned for her healing powers - she even reattached Duke Hiriele's arm if the bards are to be believed).

OOC: The above text might as well have been added by one of the players; it doesn't really change anything. If the DM REALL wants to kill all the nameless guardsmen, he can devise a thousand ways to do so - later.

The Governor is right; the loss of supplies is your biggest concern. You have a large party of men and all the animals and supplies were lost to the gnolls. Now, the Shadow World doesn't look too hostile in this area, more like a shadowy version of the Daylight forest. Captain Oeberon and his men scout about a bit, and return with directions to a small stream that turns out to hold pure, drinkable water. He's also fairly confident that he and his men can find some game and edible plants/fruits/whatever.

OOC: One of you could also have written this; The Governor pointed out an obstacle (very good!) but one of the other players could easily have come up with this solution. If I had wanted, I could have limited the amount of water found, made it poisonous, or simply ensured that you lost it later or whatever...
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 29, 2009, 10:46:53 am
Shauna:

I am at a loss as what to do...as I understand it Thenial is Shadow-warded, so there will be no escape for us here. We must walk a long distance....and since the Starspires is an obstacle we cannot overcome, we must head into the deep spirit-lands of Mieres...which is not a good thing. There are things there that would dearly like to feast on our souls or enslave us to their will...even I, the servant of Mhistecai, cannot go there without fear of attack...the rest of you...
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 29, 2009, 11:29:12 am
Having rested for a bit and done the head count as well as resource assessment the decision as what to do is at hand.

Wallac Isilviere:
Two options are at hand. Either regroup and charge the Gnolls hoping to overwhelm them momentarily and flee towards Serien should we be successful; Most should expect to perish in such an attempt but a few of us might get through and warn the people of Mieres.

The other option is a pointed out already to try traveling through the Shadow World. High Priestess Maire Cwyllmie made up a plan and I suggest we follow it. Thenial being Shadow-warded we have to go around the Starspire Mountains. That mean going through the outer perimeter of the deep spirit-lands of Mieres but I can see no real alternative.

Let’s gather what resources we can - especially water since we know not if we can find any reliable source anytime soon.

The party set out as described by ETN; Sarae Somellin and Shauna Nolan know the way and can guide us. I will take overall command and the brave Governor can organize a vanguard and shield us from nasty surprises like the Gnolls venturing the Shadow World.

If rumors speak the truth the travel through Dhalier will be the most dangerous part of our travel and since Thenail borders Dhalier we should be there within a few days. Of special importance to avoid is the ruin of an ancient castle located near the border between Thenial and Dhalier. The soldiers patrolling Dhalier avoid the area at all cost and so should we.

Perhaps the Governor knows more about this ruin?
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 29, 2009, 12:38:48 pm
The Sidhe Eldritch Knight, Lachlan, that follows the Pontiff is particularly vulnerable to the Shadow World as all Sidhe are and is asked to stay close to Wallac all the time to increase his chances of survival.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 29, 2009, 02:43:57 pm
The observant see a slight tightening of the Governor's jaw as the Pontiff begins to take command and give orders but it passes just as quickly as it came on

The Governor shakes his head,

"I know little of Dhalier, save that it is sparsely populated.  The ruins of which you speak were designed to spot and prevent invasion from the South but were abandoned long ago.  Here, in this place, I do not know - but if they are manned by some manner of creatures we will have to step very carefully to avoid them. 

As I understand it, they were designed to spot invaders - which is what we are.  Is there any magic that would shield us from watchful eyes of sentries as we pass near?  It may not be possible to avoid being spotted otherwise.  On that matter, Captain Oeberon and his men are good scouts, so clearly the Gnolls on the other side were shielded as such.

As good as he is neither Oeberon or his men will be able to see an enemy concealed with magic - only signs of their passing, if they have left any.  Is there any aid that can be given here?"

The Governor moves to organize the men.  It is suggested to Captain Oeberon that the scouts be leapfrogged head so that there are always two groups of scouts ahead of the men.


Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 29, 2009, 02:44:39 pm
Sarae Somellin watches all of her companions and says

"Our travel will be very hard and difficult here in Shadow World but we can make it. My able servants, Green-Eyes and Welton, can join the scouting group of Captain Oeberon, since they're able to move silently and to pass without lefting traces. Maire, Wallac and I have access to clerical spells and we may able to create food and water to help to boast our supplies. Shauna and I know something about Shadow World. and the Governor is expert in leading men and has trustfully men expert in warfare situations. Things arent so desperate."   
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on May 29, 2009, 02:48:18 pm
Sarae looks at the governor " a Detect magic spell can reveal the caster if beings are magically concealed to our view"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 29, 2009, 03:36:21 pm
"If I remember correctly from the last time I entered the Shadow World the nature of the Shadow World resists divination in general - illusions and spells that fool are enhanced. Whats worse divinations are more limited than usual.

So while detect evil hold some merits we may be better off trying to fool the eyes spying us."


Wallac ponder the issue for a while and turn to the sidhe

"Perhaps you have a spell that can mask our presence - bear in mind that enchantments seems to have an increased power in this world"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 29, 2009, 05:45:36 pm
The sidhe (whatever his name is):

"I know something of the spirits Shauna-human is referring to...some of them are very dangerous, but most are just...malicious, but not ones that could caused armed party much harm. The real problem is that if one of them spot us and alert the others...then one of the dangerous ones will come and you will all die, which would be unfortunate.

The closer we stay to the coast the better it is...though we still need to find a place where we can cross over.  Any ideas?"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 29, 2009, 06:08:00 pm
The Governor looks down for a moment and seems to be think for a moment,

"This may sound strange - but what if we could take the Obelisk with us - could we use it to open a doorway somewhere else."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 29, 2009, 06:16:09 pm
Governor I cannot see how we could hope to carry the Obelisk along with us? It is huge and made of Obsidian.

Its a hundred feet tall and seems to have a good part burried in the dirt as well. How could the few of us hope to bring it along? Please if you have an idea speak up for such a feat would indeed be wonderfull and deny the Gnolls the controll of the Obelisk.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 29, 2009, 06:29:56 pm
The Governor speaks slowly, clearly trying to wrap his own mind around what he is thinking,

"But we have a piece of it - right here.   Remember when the Obelisk reformed - there must have been hundreds of thousands of shards in the maelstrom, maybe more - and each and everyone one of them reformed upon Sarae's plea - save one.

The shard that struck Lady Faieme.  It did not reform into the Obelisk.  Out of the millions of shards - this lone piece remained separate - we still have it.  I can not think that just a mere coincidence. 

We can not move the Obelisk your holiness - but we can take the shard with us.  If it is stilled tied to the power of the Obelisk - perhaps we can use it to channel its power elsewhere - and get us out of damnable place."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 29, 2009, 07:03:49 pm
Govenor your genious surpass us all!

Indeed we have that little part of the Obelisk with us.

Perhaps it can be used to open a shadowgate far away from the gnolls? Or to open only a tiny little shadowgate through which we can peek or send a message through so military units can be send to the Obelisk.

Shauna what use can we put the shard to?



Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on May 30, 2009, 07:19:58 pm
The shard plan does not bear fruit. Several 'days' later you are slowly making your way north, towards the border of Thenial, and the hope that you might find an entrance into the Daylight World.

Other than the general hardship of travel and the need to find water and at least some food, you suffer no harm at all. Or rather, no physical harm. In terms of the mind the extended stay in this place is beginning to wear on the men.

Lady Faieme is feeling better, not much, but enough that she can be carried along without too much discomfort.

Shauna:

We are getting nowhere. This is the third time we pass the same spot. Although it might look different to the rest of you, it is not. It has the same magical signature...we are lost...or trapped.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 30, 2009, 07:45:40 pm
The same magical signature? Do you mean we are still close to the Obelisk?

Sarae & Maire is that also your oppinion?

Perhaps it is time to try some divinations after all. I know I myself said they are limited by the Shadow World but if the four of us join hands we may work on a greater effect than usual - perhaps enough to penetrate the Shadow Worlds inherent resistence towards divinations


Maire, Wallac, Maire and Shauna join hands to increase the effect of their divinations

[OoC: I dont think there are any other npc priests present but if there are they shall join as well]
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 31, 2009, 02:15:50 am
Having joined hands the priest’s divinations seems to be able to penetrate the fog that but for Shauna keen senses had clouded the minds of everybody else and so progress can be made and this time for real.
The trip is not a gentle walk in the countryside, though. The trees in this part of the Shadow World are enormous, leaning over the party, and immense trunks of decayed trees lies on the ground leaving the feeling of foreboding. In short the atmosphere here is oppressive; there is a feeling of being watched. The fear that slowly creeps into everyone's mind from the knowledge of being aliens to this world won’t be suppressed.

The Sidhe of IHH, Lannelah Lachlan, instructs everybody to stay close and keep the formation. He then gestures with his hands and some kind of shadowy energy lingers between his two hands for a short while gathering strength before spreading out from him in all directions almost disappearing at the perimeter of the party. The feeling of being watched quickly fades and the oppressive feeling only but lingers weakly in the back of the minds.

For a while it seems the party succeeds in making real progress to Mieres
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 31, 2009, 02:26:27 am
The next break in the march the Governor approaches Isilviere and takes hold of him by the arm pulling him away for a moment.  "Your Holiness, if I may have a moment of your time." He asks.

When they are far enough away from the others he leans over and whispers into the Pontiff's ear as not to be heard.  "We may have a problem - or, more specifically I may know the source of our problem but I need your trust and I need a moment's discretion.  Do not do or act in any way differently but be prepared to order your own men and the Priestess into action if all hell breaks loose." He pauses for a moment and lowers his voice even further so that the Pontiff himself has to strain to hear him.

The Baron's men can not necessarily be trusted."

With that he moves to Captain Oeberon and discusses something with him and then moves on to Lady Faieme with Oeberon and a few of his men ensuring their privacy.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 31, 2009, 08:00:17 am
Promted by the Govenors words Wallac ask the why he suspect the Baron's men may not be trutworthy
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on May 31, 2009, 10:00:43 am
After pondering for a while Maire speaks to other regents:
"I think that the real reason we get lost is that we don't really know where we are going. We just wander aimlessly in our minds and here in this world it just took physical form. So we need clear immediate objective to aim for. And it shall be the sea. We need to get to coast and then go along the coast as it is the safest route."

Then she speaks to companions in a strong and captivating voice and inspires them to set out to journey with renewed vigour once more. She gestures theatrically in the direction she anticipates the sea and instills in the hearts and minds desire to get there:
"Sea will lead us, we can't get lost.
Sea will feed us, will be our host"


Excited murmurs arose among companions "... yes, sea ... there  ... lets get out of those forest ..." and soon the whole expedition is on the way with new spirit and eager anticipation.

And one 'day' later governor's men bring surprising news. Sea is near, we are almost there. Is it possible? We must have been pretty close already. Or did our desire and purpose get us here? Sure Shadow World works in its own ways.

Soon the whole party is standing at the top of low cliff above the sea with lower coast to the left and right. And there on the left side is a beach and ... VILLAGE?
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 31, 2009, 03:15:29 pm
The Pontiff gladly follow Maire's lead towards the coast; afterall that was our original plan and seeing how well it work he is never the less as surprised as everyone else but Maire upon setting his eyes on the village.

"Govenor pray tell what village can that be? And bear in mind it may well be but the memory of a vilage from ages past - or perhaps a village never of the Daylight World - one native to the Shadow World though as far as I know the Fey's usually live in the woods so them I surely cannot be. Who live there?"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on May 31, 2009, 03:27:55 pm
Promted by the Govenors words Wallac ask the why he suspect the Baron's men may not be trutworthy

The Governor pauses for a moment, slightly annoyed that his instructions are not simply being followed. 

He gives the Pontiff one last looks and whispers "Because one of them is an assassin that has already tried to kill Faieme once and I don't know about the others - but I will know the reason why." He then continues on to where Faieme is resting.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on May 31, 2009, 08:32:48 pm
The Pontiffs face reveal no emotions on getting that piece of information nor the governors almost undetectable annoyance

"I need you to tell me more if not now then soon. I need to know the details"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 01, 2009, 10:52:40 am
Maire turns to Shauna as if suddenly remembering something. "Is it so, that the shard of Obelisk we have exists simultaneously in Shadow World and in our plane as well? If yes then I fear we can be traced on the other side of the Veil. On the other hand, in such a case it can be the key component to our way home."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 01, 2009, 11:50:47 am
Sarae Somellin has examined the Obelisk's shard for a long period during the travel..She has thought more and more and then she has reached to her conclusion.

She asks to her regent companions, Arron, Maire and Wallac to leave the column for a while with her.

Then she looks to them and says

"I'll speak directly...this rock is not a shard of the Obelisk, its and obsidian rock shaped to act as a dagger. Green-eyes had told me he had already seen weapons like this among assassins but he cannot trace who's the assassin among us..."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 01, 2009, 07:02:53 pm
Maire stares in disbelief at Sarae for a moment, but then scouts arrive from the "village" and her attention is turned elsewhere. Scouts are reporting that "village" is deserted and no one is near.

Soon all can see for themselves. Handful of houses built in a strange style from wood and stones and in contrast finely made basin from smooth boulders, which is fed by a small stream from forest and empties itself to the sea. And then there are few other things. All the houses are just too small to fit to a man. And everything looks like the inhabitants left just before a while. Captain Oberon assures that there is nobody else in the vicinity and no trails leading into forest. The only trails lead to the beach near the village and then straight to the sea. Everything seems so tranquil yet people shiver with uneasy feeling of impropriety. Like if sea was watching them.

"It is odd" speaks Maire "but i recognize the location. In our world there is a Nesirie's temple here." Then shakes her head "probably mere coincidence".

Then to regents:
"What now? shall we stay and look around or continue along the coast? And how far? When we are to turn west for Brenlie? Can anyone say what is our immediate goal now? Because if we don't know, we will probably get lost like we did before."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 01, 2009, 07:24:26 pm
The village, which upon closer inspection appears quite large, looks like it was abandoned only yesterday...everything is fresh and neat, there is even unspoiled food here, and one of the fireplaces is actually almost warm...but where are the people? From the tracks it would appear that they boarded small boats and sailed away.

As for temples...there IS a temple here as well, which at first glance looks like a temple of Nesirie...but a closer look reveals the truth - it is a temple of Masela, the dead goddess of the sea. Anyway, although the village appears well-maintained, it isn't new...but feels rather old.

Bet that as it may, this is the most pleasant spot you've seen so far. There is even a hint of a setting sun far away across the sea, to the east...
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 02, 2009, 09:09:34 am
A temple of Masela you said? The the dead goddess of the sea? Maire how do you suggest we proceed here? I mean can we simply waltz in or is there some strictures or dogmas you know of we would break by simply walking in?
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 02, 2009, 09:28:45 am
A temple of Masela you said? The the dead goddess of the sea? Maire how do you suggest we proceed here? I mean can we simply waltz in or is there some strictures or dogmas you know of we would break by simply walking in?

"I don't know about any obstacle in dogma of Nesirie's ancestor, but the inhabitants might find it offensive if they return and find us sniffing around in the temple. I suggest we make a camp somewhere near the village and wait if they come back."
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 02, 2009, 10:28:23 am
I am not sure they will ever return - this might just be the memory of a real place but lets make camp and wait a little while we scout the immediate surroundings including the village - but don't touch anything and dont enter the temple yet
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 02, 2009, 11:47:27 am
Captain Oeberon offers some insight...he knows of this place in the Daylight World...and it is similar, yet different...even the beach is different...the ocean does not reach so high here as it does on the other side...why he cannot say...things like that.

As night sets you become convinced that whomever lived here is not coming back...this place is just a memory of something that was, preserved in the dreams of the Shadow World.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 02, 2009, 02:20:45 pm
As the party prepared to rest and sleep, wind came up from the sea. And not long after, sentries rose alarm. A ship was approaching the beach with really big man standing on the prow. And behind this ship other boats appeared as if they were forming from wind, sea and starlight.

"They are like the ships of souls from sailors' tales" whispered Maire.

One by one, the ships quietly landed on the beach and their crews gathered and walked to the village. It was clearly visible now that there were basically 3 kinds of them. The big one with double size of a man, few of the normal size and the rest were small, about two thirds of norm. They entered the village and started to do their chores like it was the most casual thing. Some of the small people got to their houses and set small fires inside, while others under guidance of the middle sized started various works. One group set to clean the basin while another went to the temple. And the big one sat on the building, which turned out to be rather some kind of chair, and slowly turned his head left and right overseeing the whole settlement. They all paid little attention to party camped near their village. Only occasionaly some of them laid their eyes upon watching adventurers or pointed fingers at them.

"Tell me, Pontiff, can Shadow world preserve memories of people long gone as well as memories of things?"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 02, 2009, 02:45:33 pm
The Governor then glances around for a moment,

"The Shadow World in not within my experience so I will leave the decisions on this to you three."

He looks at the High Pontiff for a moment and continues addressing the him and the High Priestesses.

"Other things are, however.  Sarae is correct, this rock is not a shard of the Obelisk but is the weapon of an assassin, of that I have been sure for quite some time now.  And I am also quite sure who the assassin is.

You may have noticed Lady Faieme has not been alone since we entered the shadow world, and that one of Oeberon's men has always been with her at all times or have been the only one's to prepare her food.  They have also been keeping an eye out on anyone trying to get close to Lady Faieme again or who have been peculiarly concerned about her recovery. 

Oeberon has identified one of her men as almost certainly the assassin.  I want to take him alive to question him.  I hear the three of you speak of illusions - I want to set a trap to give the assassin the appearance of another opportunity to strike.  Can this be done?  If we catch him in the act there should be rather little objection to questioning him rather harshly I would think."

At this last question he focuses his gaze on Marie and the High Pontiff.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 02, 2009, 04:23:57 pm
"Maire i know it not. I've experienced the Shadow Plane to refect the surroundings of the past but never the people of the past.

But then again I'm not expert on the Shadow Plane so I can't give a better answer. Those people down there could be a memory of those people from the past which would then be my first experience with memory of actual people being preserved in the Shadow Plane. Or it could be somebody else living in the Shadow Plane"
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 02, 2009, 06:18:57 pm
Having completed their tasks the strangers gather at the short, board their ships and sail away into the darkness. You'll never know who they were or why they are doing what they do.

Shauna Nolan:

We should get going. This memory is delaying us...if I'm not much mistaken this is an old Masetian colony.
Title: Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 02, 2009, 09:20:19 pm
You have to make a decision:

1. Try to make your way by sea. Unknown hazards.
2. Make your way north through the woods. Warned about spirits.
3. Head south into the wastelands. SHould be fewer hazards, but the trip might get awfully long.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 02, 2009, 10:57:59 pm
The Governor shakes his head,

"At the risk of seeing to shirk my duties as Governor I will leave the decision making as to direction to the four of you," he states looking as Sarae, Marie, Wallace and Shauna.  "The shadow world and its dangers are not within my experience and so I concede to your greater knowledge."

The Governor grows colder,

"But dealing with assassins and the like is.  It is imperative that we take him before we set out again.  There is to great a chance that he will slip away as we travel further, and, if we are attacked, it is almost guaranteed that he will use the chaos to run.  I need your help in taking him, but after that I will handle the questioning myself, unless anyone objects.

What I need is to give him the opportunity, or at least the apparent opportunity to finish the job.  Is that possible through magic.  Can one of you create an illusion that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time? I want to move her without anyone knowing and make it look like she is still resting or sleeping.  My guard will depart to relieve himself.

If the assassin wants to finish the job - well he hasn't had a chance yet and he knows he will likely not get another one.  If he jumps at the bait we can seize him knowing for sure he is the guilty party."

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 02, 2009, 11:44:34 pm
At the risk of seeing to shirk my duties as Governor I will leave the decision making as to direction to the four of you," he states looking as Sarae, Marie, Wallace and Shauna.  "The shadow world and its dangers are not within my experience and so I concede to your greater knowledge."

The Governor grows colder,

"But dealing with assassins and the like is.  It is imperative that we take him before we set out again.  There is to great a chance that he will slip away as we travel further, and, if we are attacked, it is almost guaranteed that he will use the chaos to run.  I need your help in taking him, but after that I will handle the questioning myself, unless anyone objects.

What I need is to give him the opportunity, or at least the apparent opportunity to finish the job.  Is that possible through magic.  Can one of you create an illusion that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time? I want to move her without anyone knowing and make it look like she is still resting or sleeping.  My guard will depart to relieve himself.

If the assassin wants to finish the job - well he hasn't had a chance yet and he knows he will likely not get another one.  If he jumps at the bait we can seize him knowing for sure he is the guilty party."


If we have an assassin in our midst dealing with that assassin should be our first task.

For a man desperately in need of our help you ask for a lot of confidence yet you show little confidence yourself. When this is over I want to know it all. I don’t ask you to reveal the sources of your information should you prefer to keep those to yourself, but I think I’m entitled to get filled in on the details but for the sources of the information; if not know then when we have caught him.

I will trust you to keep your word – do I have your word to fill in the blanks afterwards governor? 

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 01:01:45 am
The Governor nods,

"I assure you I will inform you of everything I learn from the assassin during his questioning, and everything else I know about what is going on.  Most of what I know comes not from any hidden source of information but from the context of what has been happening here these past seasons, and of my own experience.  Being Governor of Mieres your Holiness is anything but dull.

As for what I learn from the assassin, you can of course observe the questioning if you wish, and in fact it may be advisable as we may need the assistance of a healer...  I would only ask of course if anything should occur that may... offend your sensibilities, that you allow me to get the information we need from him."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 06:35:36 am
Wallac nods and sometimes later instructs Lachlan to help the Governor and do as he ask regarding illusions gives the impression that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time.

"Governor we may need some sort of reason as to why lady Faieme is unguarded - perhaps an illusion of more than simply her being unguarded? My friend, Lachlan, will do as you ask of him"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 04:55:52 pm
The Governor instructs Lachlan that they will require three separate illusions if such is possible.

Firstly they require to move Faieme away from her current location and secret her somewhere else without being seen while maintaining the illusion she is still there, "live bait" the Governor points out, is not something he believes Faieme would sign up for.

Second, they need to have some guards nearby to the illusion, not visible to the human eye who can grab the assassin as soon as he makes his move.

Thirdly, the Governor suggests an illusion of some grotesque monstrosity arising from the sea to attack the group.  This would give them the perfect  excuse to move the guards away from Faieme as the men would be ordered to line up near the village to defend leaving Faieme alone in the rear. 

Is Lachlan capable of these feats, does she require aid from Shauna or others?
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 07:02:51 pm
All this planning has clearly spooked the assassin...he is reported as missing...probably left the group when you were in the village. Too bad.

Oeberon thinks he must have gone north. LL is inclined to agree.

So, once again, what are you going to do?
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 07:09:42 pm
The Governor is insistent that the party head north despite the dangers. 

The assassin is the only link viable link that he has to who is behind what has been occurring in Serien and he doesn't believe he or the Baron can afford to lose this link. 

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 07:12:18 pm
wallac:
"Strange thing he went away from us since he must know he is in great danger alone from being in the Shadow World. Even more so that he went north. I am prepared to go after him double speed"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 07:13:18 pm
Tracking a lone assassin would be impossible with such a large party of yours. He even has a head start. A small group of foresters and such COULD have a chance of catching him.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 07:18:33 pm
"Though some may be inclined to split up sending a small party after him I think that would be a mistake. While we may move a little slower we could send scouts ahead and move at slow trod. My men are up to it. We can use the energy for moving the larger group and the scouts taking turns when they get tired"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 07:22:12 pm
The Governor hears the Pontiff's words, but he is somewhat furious and clearly not accustomed to losing, or at least losing well.

The instructs Oeberon to gather his best trackers and prepare to set out immediately.  He would prefer some mystical assistance, however if his companions are not prepared for such light and fast travel he requests that they follow as best they can.

He is not only concerned with losing the assassin's trail, but of something else finding the assassin first.  He indicates if the larger group follows the advance group can fall back to the main group if they run into much trouble.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 07:27:05 pm
The sidhe join the group of trackers as they race ahead...leaving the rest of you to plod along as best you can.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 07:34:17 pm
"Governor you must do as you find best. Me and my men cannot willingly be part of such rash action here in the Shadow World. The assassin may even have problems finding his way - problems that we are far better suited to deal with. We will travel as I said in a light trod trying to keep up with you. with scouts out ahead. I hope we dont get too far seperated. Those you or any of the other regents present want to leave behind with us are welcome"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 07:35:49 pm
Wallac issues a few select command and his men are ready to set out.

The Justicars of Haelyn all clad in field plate start forcemarching with a rhythmic stride and in step with each other. Surprisingly for a man his age Wallac keeps up with them not breaking a sweat

They try their best to keep up with the advance group
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 08:03:58 pm
Two days later (and many miles) Oeberon reports that they have found the assassin...it is not a pretty sight. The shot version is that the assassin has been taken by something, hung by the feet from a big tree and then dissected. The butchery must have taken hours...all the while the assassin was alive and conscious.

Lannelah is concerned - the torture was clearly designed to be used as some sort of summoning focus. He fears there may be sword-spirits nearby. If so you are all in mortal jeopardy.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 08:09:13 pm
Wallac:
"Used as summoning focus or not - blood spilled attracts the creatures of the Shadow all by itself. We are in danger should we chose to linger much longer"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 08:42:18 pm
Lannelah sticks close to the Pontiff after that. Probably not a good sign.

The first attack comes three hours (you think, time is hard to tell) later, in a dark patch of the forest, where there is almost no starlight under a heavy canopy of black leaves....

...then suddenly there are muffled screams from around the perimeter. You are under attack by something unseen...men become enveloped in even deeper darkness, and then there will be screams...before the darkness lifts and the man is all the remains...a dead man with vicious many-pronged wounds in the vitals and sometimes hideous acid burns covering his skin.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 08:49:09 pm
Divinely inspired Wallac sense the sword-spirits before they reveal themselves. Though if it is sword-spirits no-one can really tell yet.

”We lingered too long. The dark creatures of the Shadow will be upon us any minute now. Justicar’s form the square. Remember one weak stone in a wall is enough to bring the whole structure crashing down. Lads give me your best and make me proud!”

The Justicar’s have drilled this time and again. Swiftly they form a solid square of steel around the Governor, Oberon, Lachlan, Wallac and most of Oberon’s men; only the perimeter sentries are not protected within.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 08:55:53 pm
"Haelyn aid your servant in this the darkest hour for our need is great and the enemies seems to be the Shadow incarnated in vile spiririt forms. Bring us your light"

The Shadow World is however NOT the domain of Haelyn and much as Wallac would liked to see daylight radiating from his holy symbol it happens not. A tiny vibration in the symbol does occur though and it seems to be increasing albeit not too fast
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 03, 2009, 08:58:49 pm
OOC: Im somewhat confused now. How many groups are there? And who is where? Anyway Maire and her people prefer to be with the largest group and desirably stay near the village waiting for others to return if that is an option.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 09:07:05 pm
Suddenly Wallacs holy symbol stop vibrating and as if directed by some outside force Wallac, his hand moving by itself, point it an area darker than anything he has seen before.

"I SMITE YOU WITH THE HOLY POWER OF HAELYN! BEGONE VILE CREATURES OF THE SHADOW"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 09:09:15 pm
The Governor takes a step back from Wallac.  To Oeberon he states, "Let the Pontiff take the lead and do what we can to aid them". He and Oeberon begin to organize the scouts to hastily make torches, tossing some beyond the square of defenders and holding up more behind the rows of steel to allow the defenders a better view of their attackers.



Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 09:22:54 pm
Lachlan moves as if in a blur. He taps pure energy from the Plane of Shadow and cast quasi-real, illusory evocations of shadow left and right. He knows he’ll be bygone if those creatures are not dealt with soon.

Several dark motes of energy zaps one of the shadow creatures and grey ichor cover the templar that was just about to become the next victim.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 09:31:59 pm
The holy symbol of Haelyn shoots white energy at the darkness. At first no applicable result can be seen. The white light seems just to be absorbed by the black void.

Several shrieks erupt from the black void and the darkness lifts a little from that part of the wood. Albeit the stars are not exactly bright they can now be seen.

The torches of begin to light the area a little and the men can glimpse the darkness moving around their perimeter.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 09:38:26 pm
With the attackers now, if not visible, so at least darker than the rest of the dark forrest, the torches shows to be a briliant move.

The templars earlier almost helpless now begin to throw around with their vials of holy water, and it seems from their keen sreams, much to the dismay of the attackers.

The battle by no means yet won have changed; the defenders now having almost a breathing space can begin to dicern what hit them
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 10:02:20 pm
The respite given is put to good use by everybody. Men badly shaken are calmed by a comrade, survivors from the perimeter are let inside the square all the while the Pontiff invoke the All Father once again; this time to make a circle of protection against evil
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 10:04:31 pm
The Governor takes a moment to breath.  He calls out to Oeberon and Wallace, "Do we have any oil?!" 

He then turns directly to Oeberon, not expecting a positive answer from the High Pontiff on his next question - "Or (more likely) do any of the men have a flask of strong drink. If so spread it on your blades and set it alight when the creatures move in again.  Give them a taste of fire and steel."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 10:15:58 pm
As expected neither the Templar’s nor the Pontiff carries any strong drinks.

Oil though is another matter; brought along the trip to Thenial for armor and weapon maintenance and though not in large quantities some can be had.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 10:17:17 pm
OOC: There is only one group now, you've all banded together again after finding the dead assassin.

You lost three men in the darkness before you even knew you were under attack; then three more were taken while the rest of your hid inside the square, while a fourth sentinel managed to get back to the lines, pursued by one assailant.

Apart from firing arrows into the dark, and some divine lighting flashing from the Pontiff, you've yet to really see one of your attackers...but now you do;

The square of men is amply lit by torches, but as the dark blot moves closer, the lights is subdued - it does go out, it just stops illuminating. But then Maire calls forth some divine light of her own, and the shadows are dispelled:

It is a hideously twisted figure, about the size of a man, but with monstrous features - long claws, fangs, bony ridges, black leather skin...the works. It is like something conjured out of a nightmare! Several arrows are immediately put through it, but it doesn't even blink. Then the Governor hits it with a vial of burning oil, which does not seem to bother it the least.

Then it just turns to black mist and is gone...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 10:19:12 pm
Lannelah:

Be alert! It can reappear anywhere at any time...be ready for it...it can be hurt, just not easily by mundane means.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 10:29:07 pm
"Gods Balls," The Governor curses upon actually seeing the assailant. 

He looks to the casters including Lannelah and Shauna, "My blades are not mystical and I neither are most of the men's.  Is there anything that can be done for this?"

The Governor focuses on scanning the surroundings in order to spot where the next attack will come from.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 10:35:23 pm
LL:

When it appears, I will make it so that it cannot flee by magic...but it can still escape by mundane means, or kill you all. So be prepared...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 10:44:29 pm
Heeding Lachlan’s warning the men stay vigilant.

“Maire please be ready to shed the divine light in a moment’s notice"

Turning to the Governor

"Governor Haelyn is the God of War and he will lend you his aid through his servant. Let me bless your blade"

As the Governor hand over his blade to Wallac he anoints it with holy water and invokes the All Father. The blade shivers and gets a silvery shine and the pommel turn the color of a bursting sun

"Go with Haelyn. Be courageous and just and the blade will serve you well. Let the All Father enters your heart as you go to battle for He cherish in displays of chivalry"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 10:46:27 pm
Wallac then turn to his sergeants one at a time and invoke a similar ritual; they have done this before though never under such grim circumstances
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 10:50:38 pm
"Lachlan how you manage to prevent it fleeing amazes me but know you have my gratitude. Is there anything I can do to aid you before it reappears?"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 03, 2009, 10:55:39 pm
Maire imbues Lachlan and Shauna with ability to see evil, so that they can aim their spells better even in dark.

"If this continues in such tempo, we all will be dead soon. We need to return to coast and take the southern route."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 03, 2009, 10:57:23 pm
OOC: DM going to bed :)
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 03, 2009, 11:14:39 pm
“Wallac I’m not sure if you know the extent of the difference between the men and the Sidhe. But you seem to be aware that I am even more exposed here in the Shadow World than the rest of you. I could use some protection”

Wallac slowly nods to himself.

“Will you permit me?”

Nodding his consent Lachlan bows his head just a little.

Wallac dip his fingers in holy water and invoke the All Father in a rather unorthodox ritual; a ritual to protect a sidhe without soul or perhaps just not having body and soul separate. Never the less the Pontiff goes through the ritual.


“All Father your humble servant ask you for yet a favor. Bless my friend Lachlan and protect him when the vile creature of Shadow returns. Lachlan is noble and just and has served your temple for more than a century for nothing but his own principles. Even now being himself in the gravest of dangers and far more vulnerable than the rest of us he serves to protect these people. Show him your mercy and lend him a fraction of your divine spirit to shine when the Shadow assault us. Lachlan may see no supernatural significance in this ritual and his view is that the most important function of ritual and tradition is not to achieve any effect in the outer world but create stability and balance in the inner world of the mind. My Lord prove him wrong”


[OoC: Bjørn can he be divinely blessed with something akin to protection from evil?]
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 03, 2009, 11:33:25 pm
The Governor nods at Wallac, and looks about. 

He indicates to Oeberon to join him near Lady Faieme, who still lies injured.  Both stand ready to defend themselves, and Lady Faieme should the creature be looking for an easy kill.

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 07:34:23 am
OOC: RL took me away for two days...sorry guys...but now I'm back...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 10:20:33 am
You make some hurried preparations; you have several powerful priests that can bless the men and protect them from evil...and you also have a couple of arcane spellcasters.

The creature goes for the sidhe - with a singular focus and great ferocity. But Lannelah is ready, lashing out with his magic as it forms, binding its shape so that it cannot again turn to shadow and disappear. The thing then must contend with a wall of steel, and seems to reconsider its position. But by then it is too late, for it has lost the power of flight, and is hacked to pieces...but in the process every non-magical blade used to strike it turns black and rusted. As it 'dies' it turns into blackish goo that seeps into the ground and disappears.

"Beware, there are always more than one. Rearm and prepare!"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 12:25:11 pm
Five more of the things appear suddenly, killing any light but that conjured by magic, they lash out killing many men, but you ARE ready for them. Two of them you kill before the last three flee...leaving several men dead and half your remaining weapons useless.

Lannelah:

"This will not do. I know something of these creatures, and these were but scouts and assassins. They are here to pin us in place, make us afraid. If we remain here they will come in force and then we die. We must move, and quickly. Stay together in smaller groups and keep moving, preferably groups priests and mages with those unable to create light or fight back...if saving the commoners is of importance. Accept that they will strike us again as we flee, but there is no other alternative.

Follow me, or die."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 01:24:02 pm
And so all run for their lives back to the coast, each faction in its own small group. Few celestial beings appear (hard to know who exactly called them) and fly over ready to engage any creature of shadow trying to interfere. Thank to this cover, "retreat" goes rather smoothly and it seems that party will be able to escape the danger.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 01:47:51 pm
And so it is that you return to village by the sea...fewer in number, but richer in terrible memories. Of those that went into the woods, only half has returned. The rest were taken by half-glimpsed shapes...

Morale is, needles to say, completely broken...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 02:26:48 pm
"Seems to me we cannot overcome most of the dangers here...I suggest we take the safest route and we avoid any more contacts with beings of this plane" so speaks Sarae
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 02:49:50 pm
Clearly it is too dangerous to travel through all of Thenial to find an exit from this accursed place!

You must find another way.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 02:54:42 pm
The Governor wipes some blood off his face and looks around.  Seeing the men demoralized he grabs a stool from the village and stands on it.

“LISTEN UP!” he calls out to get the men’s attention.

“My name is Arron Vaumel.  Arron Vaumel: Baron of Seaward, Count of Lathier, Viscount of Albiele, and Guardian of the Southern Wastes.  But more importantly, I am Arron Vaumel, Governor of Mieres.  I've survived gnolls. I have survived bandits. I have survived more assassins than you have fingers! 

I lived through the Diem invasion and I spit in the eye of Avan and survived his wraith.  And I swear by Belinik's Cock I am going to survive this damnable place.  I am bloodied, bruised, and more tired than I can remember.”  The Governor spits, “I can taste my own blood in my mouth.  All these things tell me one thing - I’m alive.  And I am going to stay that way.

If you want to stay alive, want it! If you want to give up - I’ll dig you your hole before we leave.  But know this, we are heading out soon and Gods help anything that tries to get between me and my way out of this place.”

He then smiles slightly, “And when I do get back to Seaward I am heading right to the Singing Ladies tavern and I am going to drink myself unconscious.  Anyone who joins me there - your drinks are on me.”

He then moves towards the other regents away from the men and speaks privately. "I've done what I can, I have no idea how in the hell to get out of here - do any of you?"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 03:02:48 pm
If I recall correctly we cannot exit from the Obelisk since thenial's shadow-warded by ETN, right?
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 03:06:55 pm
Well, you did get IN while it was warded, so maybe you could get out too. But then you'd have to contend with the gnolls (if they are still there).
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 03:09:19 pm
"Governor, your little speech surely has brought a little of hope in our men heart but things aren't, in my opinion, easy. only two opportunities I see: first if our wizards have the Shadow Walk spell, to use it to walk very fast to the southern wastelands and there exits from the Shadow World. Second: try to exit through the Obelisk and face the gnoll, they may outnumber us but at least we should fight against enemies we can kill"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 03:19:34 pm
As the sad remains debate how to leave the Shadow World Wallac stops and address the survivors:

“I want you to consider something for a moment. You have been preyed upon by some of the most terrible and sinister creatures in existence and yet you prevailed. You have endured the soul tearing environment of the Shadow World for days and nights, a world forever shrouded in darkness and shadows. Yet, you are still here. You endured these things where others would have failed. The question I would ask you is simple. Why? Why did you pass this test where others will fail?”

The Pontiff looks from one man to another, waiting to see if any of them would answer the question.
At length, once Wallac has seen that none of the men will, he answers the question himself.

“It is because your minds were stronger. A man can be trained in the skills of killing; he can learn to use a blade or other weapons. Some can even learn to weave divine or arcane spells, but these things are nothing if the mind is not strong. It takes strength of mind for a man to face such terrible creatures. It takes strength for a man to know the environment of the Shadow World, to feel fear and yet refuse to break in the face of it. Always remember, the mind and will are as much weapons as the sword and magic.”

Pausing Wallac looks the men in their eyes, his commanding presence implying each that he looks into their soul and give each man the impression that he is directing his speech to him.

“Ultimately, the question of whether you will succeed or fail will be decided in the recesses of your own hearts. It takes mental strength and great fortitude of mind and will to walk the Shadow World and live. Yet you did. Take comfort in that fact and remember that while we were put to the most challenging of tests we who stand here passed”

As the words of the Pontiff take root in each man’s heart the mood change and suddenly thunderous applause and spontaneous cheering erupts as everyone is swept up in the infectious enthusiasm.


Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 03:31:38 pm
The Governor shakes his head.

"The Obelisk is one possibility but we have no idea what lies on the other side.  You are the only one who seems to know what uses it can be put to.  I would ask again whether it is only a door or if it can be used as a window as well.  Can we see what is on the other side before we pass through?

Also, how tied is the Obelisk to its mirror self here?  If we were to trigger a storm like before here - would it set off in our world? If there are but a few gnolls around it, this may give us the surprise needed to run through quickly and escape.

If not we can we can do little at this point but head south into the wastelands I would think."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 03:39:16 pm
”The Governor yet again astonishes me with his pose as a brute soldier yet commanding the insight of the subtle differences between the different applications of magic. Come to think of it the will to succeed is perhaps what makes you stand out from the stock of many a noble. Baron Arron Vaumel making your acquaintance has made the quest with all its hardship worthwhile.”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 03:47:41 pm
"I believe the Obelisk does not necessarily explode simultaneously in the Shadow World and the Daylight World. High Priestess Sarae Somellin has already showed extraordinary skill in manipulating the Obelisk.”

Turning inquiringly to Sarae he looks her in the eyes.

“High Priestess can you do as Baron Arron Vaumel ask?”

Addressing High Priestess Maire

“And can Your Holiness help her in doing so; help her bypass the Shadow Ward made by your Temple?”

"Shauna and Lachlan when we erupt through the Obelisk can you make our first appearance in the Daylight World invissible or at least masked by illusions? Come to think of it also ward us from any scrying done as we approach the Obelisk in the Shadow World?"

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 04:06:25 pm
"Nice speeches and plans. But perhaps we should allow few days of rest before we drive ourselves and others into yet another mortal peril."

Slight hint of disgustion is in Maire's face as she turns from the discussion and goes to tend to battered and exhausted people.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 04:08:45 pm
Addressing High Priestess Maire

“And can Your Holiness help her in doing so; help her bypass the Shadow Ward made by your Temple?”

"We have seen that the Shadow Ward has no effect on Obelisk."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 04:16:22 pm
"Excuse me Your Holiness but what we have seen is the Shadow Ward did not hinder the Obelisk to open the way to the Shadow World - we know not how much it took to overcome said ward. What we want Sarae to do it not just to open the way but also give us a glimpse of the surroundings around the Obelisk but in the Daylight World, make it go boom and then open a gate. This would be no simple feat and everything that would lighten the burden can be used. At least that is how I perceive it"

Looking to Lachlan Wallac continues

"regarding taking a few days rest I warn against it. I concur we escaped the beast but only for know. They may be hunting us as we speak and speed may be essential to our survival. Those where the scouts - we don't, I repeat, we don't want to meet the army"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 04:21:44 pm
"Dear Maire, your thoughts are good and beautiful but I think if we spent any more time here we're going to risk to increase dramatically th number of dead and wounded

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 04:26:22 pm
The Governor smiles at Wallac's complement,

"Thank you, your Holiness, I would say the same of you.  Let us just hope that we can say it a few days from now- eh?"

Looking after Maire as she leaves he sighs,

"She's not wrong that the men can use some brief rest.  But we need to keep them moving towards some definite goal.  If we don't at the very least seem to have a plan for getting out of here, and end to focus their thoughts on, despair will take them right quick. 

If we could but get a message to those in Serien Kirr and Vandross are there with the bulk of my forces and I'm sure the Baron could send some troops to meet us as we escape - if this is even a plausible solution."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 04:36:44 pm
Speaking softly Lachlan address the gathered regents:

“Resting but for a short while put us all in danger. Please don’t underestimate our adversaries. Once spotted by those beast one need to find a safe haven or face destruction. They found us and while we did kill most of these scouts some escaped. Take heed of this warning and make great haste to the Obelisk; taking the long trail south will mean they catch up on us as they don’t need rest or sleep. Either we find a way to cross the sea, and we need to be real quick which is problematic seeing there are no boats, or we make the best use of the Obelisk as we can.”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 04:52:55 pm
Sarae knows that the shards of obsidian were not her doing; the Governor did something to trigger a spell someone had emplaced upon it. That much should be obvious. She can't duplicate that.

Sarae can most likely open the gateway once more and possibly even peer out; she doesn't know. She has never tried it before.

If, and that is a big if, you can surprise the gnolls (assuming there are any guarding the Obelisk) you might be able to break through. And perhaps you might escape and survive. Perhaps. It is a long shot, but it is POSSIBLE.

Shauna also has one interesting piece of information; the spirits won't leave the forests of Mieres. So should you go south, you would be safe from them.

As for a ship...that is a big unknown. Perhaps the strange visitors will return, perhaps not. And what does the SW sea hold of dangers? Even Marie does not know.

What Maire does know, is that as long as you remain in the village you have refuge. The spirits will not come here. But that doesn't prevent them from gathering outside...so the longer you linger, the more dangerous it will be to leave.

Morale is recovering - the Governor and the Pontiff has seen to that.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 04:56:13 pm
Having done all that she could for others, Maire tries to get some rest and consolation herself. She goes to the sea and Masela's temple trying to commune with sea and draw an inspiration from it as she is used to do. To calm her mind and clear it from anger and frustration like the sea calms and sky above it clears after storm. Maybe if she clears her mind she will be able to come up with a solution to this mess. Or will even sea answer the call of Masela's blood in Maire's veins?
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 04:56:56 pm
"Hmm intriguing thing you told there Shauna. Combined with Maire's most convincingly statement that the village is a safe refuge that makes for some other options"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 05:03:48 pm
I suggest we rest in the village for a while and return through the Obelisk unless Maire's seaward meditation has rendered her divine insight
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 04, 2009, 05:04:55 pm
I'm also for reach the Obelisk
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 05:16:06 pm
In the part of the Shadow World corresponding to Ilien the sea held some gruesome beast preying on those unfortunate souls that came near them. I saw a party of the Red Wind, 100 or so strong and with at least three sorcerers being attacked from beneath the waves. They even had boats. During the attack of the beasts attack they saw my party on the beach and fighting came about. At least 40 of them disappeared under the waves and only a score or so escaped, including one of the sorcerers.
Personally I must confess I much prefer going through the Obelisk even if facing the Gnolls than the unknown of the sea.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 05:22:10 pm
The Governor's eyebrow raises,

"The Red Wind in Ilien?  If we do make it out of here I would like to know more about that..."

"If we stay here to long we risk being boxed in and unable to leave.  A brief rest will do us good, but we shouldn't become to comfortable.  If we can peek through the Obelisk we should do so - but I doubt we could outrun hundreds of Gnolls through the forests if they are still about the Obelisk.

They are mongrels and barbaric, but they are also creatures of the wilderness and more apt at moving through it quickly than heavily armed soldiers.  If they are still about, the south might be our best option."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 05:26:24 pm
"Dont forget we have mighty users of magic. If we are hidden by illusions as we leave through the Obelisk we may even get away without being noticed or at least getting a headstart when making the run for it"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 05:29:24 pm
The DM recaps:

Staying in the village is safe. Staying long in the village will mean the spirits are ready in force when/if you decide to leave. Of course, resting would be VERY good at this point...as would taking some supplies from the village if you're going to be traveling for a while.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 05:32:47 pm
Having done all that she could for others, Maire tries to get some rest and consolation herself. She goes to the sea and Masela's temple trying to commune with sea and draw an inspiration from it as she is used to do. To calm her mind and clear it from anger and frustration like the sea calms and sky above it clears after storm. Maybe if she clears her mind she will be able to come up with a solution to this mess. Or will even sea answer the call of Masela's blood in Maire's veins?

Something happens all right. But not what you had...expected, if you had any expectations at all.

First one appears. Then one more. Then a few more at a time. Faster and faster. What say you? The bloated corpses of lost Masetian sailors...hundreds, nay thousands, slowly drifting to the surface, chocking the beach and the ocean beyond. It is an eerie sight to say the least. Nothing works the way it is supposed to here, and all that you do turn into something dark and distorted.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 05:44:14 pm
The Governor turns a shade pale and looks like he might vomit but says nothing.

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 06:04:23 pm
Something happens all right. But not what you had...expected, if you had any expectations at all.

First one appears. Then one more. Then a few more at a time. Faster and faster. What say you? The bloated corpses of lost Masetian sailors...hundreds, nay thousands, slowly drifting to the surface, chocking the beach and the ocean beyond. It is an eerie sight to say the least. Nothing works the way it is supposed to here, and all that you do turn into something dark and distorted.

Maire pales too but nonetheles tries to pick up her wits and concentrate. And then calls for great leader among the Masetians. (OOC: When everything turns into something dark and distorted then it is time to get dark and distorted oneself)
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 06:11:40 pm
The Governor reaches for Marie quickly attempting to cover her mouth and stifle her call.

"Are you Insane!!!" He whispers sharply, as if he is afraid he might wake the dead - literally.  "I have been accused of a number of dark deeds in my days, and had a number of unkind words addressed as to my character - and even I know this sort of thing should not be done!"

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 06:28:55 pm
“Dear Maire what have you done?”

Acknowledging the sound reaction from the Governor Wallac instruct the men to break up, gather what provisions can be found and head out of the village.

“If Sarae thinks she can peek through the Obelisk without being spotted from the other side we head for the Obelisk. If not I suggest we travel south”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 06:36:57 pm
"If we can peek through the Obelisk sending scouts through it would be a mistake as they risk warn about our coming. I suspect someone had warded the Obelisk and that ward set off by the stone thrown at it by the Governor. If someone has warded the Obelisk I think approaching it, even here in the Shadow World should best be done under the cover of powerful illusions hiding our presence - and even more so when we, or should I say if, we return to the Daylight World through the Obelisk."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 07:24:25 pm
The Governor reaches for Marie quickly attempting to cover her mouth and stifle her call.

"Are you Insane!!!" He whispers sharply, as if he is afraid he might wake the dead - literally.  "I have been accused of a number of dark deeds in my days, and had a number of unkind words addressed as to my character - and even I know this sort of thing should not be done!"

Maire turns to governor with a blank expression in her face. "Don't you remember who destroyed gnolls south of Mieres? Ghosts! Ghosts of 13th legion. Believe me governor, I know well what I have to do. Anyway thank you for interrupting me. There is even better way than I knew first. Now leave me alone."

Then she turns back to the sea and cries loudly "Do you remember how it was when you died? When water filled your lungs? When you knew for sure you are going to die? Do you remember the pain when soul ripped from your body? I know you do. You remember it very well. Dont hold it! Let it all go out of you now. That is why you get here! Free yourself prom pain and release it!"

Then as aura of suffering emanating from dead Masetians grow stronger and weakens the Veil, Maire strives to find a proper place where she can lead the party trough her own Ward back to the world of living.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 07:31:39 pm
The Governor backs off without a word, the priestess knowing more about the dead and what she is doing than he, his eyes however never leave the floating sea of the dead.

He whispers to Oeberon, "Get the men ready to run... I've got a bad feeling about this."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 07:36:30 pm
“Dear Maire what have you done?”

Acknowledging the sound reaction from the Governor Wallac instruct the men to break up, gather what provisions can be found and head out of the village.

“If Sarae thinks she can peek through the Obelisk without being spotted from the other side we head for the Obelisk. If not I suggest we travel south”

While the Governor tried to make Maire change her mind Wallac prepared to set out and as Captain Oberon come to prepare for a quick departure he find all ready to go though the people from ETN look for where their High Priestess is, clearly not going to leave without her.

“Captain Oberon no need to run, the men are already fully prepared to leave. We just wait for the Governor and the High Priestess”

Little do Wallac know that Maire has gone even further than before and is now actively trying to use the dead sailors
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 07:53:41 pm
To those that know the story of the 13th legion - that was different. They abandoned their posts in life, and were cursed not to find rest by a dying Emperor. They found salvation in dealing with another gnoll army, earning them their rest.

What Maire is doing is just plain wrong...calling upon the dead to serve her. Perhaps old Pontiff Aurlien was right, and she has been consorting with dark powers? Be that as it may...Maire calls, and the dead rise to the occasion...literally speaking.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 07:56:24 pm
Now, if this is to have any effect, you need to let the undead pass you by, otherwise you'll just be wedged between the dead and the embodiment of malice (a variant of the rock and the hard place, only much worse). Yes, they may leave Maire in peace, but the rest of you...you're fair game!

The only pace that does come to mind is the Masela temple - it might still be hallowed ground to these monsters.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 08:04:54 pm
[OoC: The party is ready for departure - provisions gathered. All they need is realizing what is happening]

Wallac soon realizes he is waiting for the High Priest in vain
"The dead sailors are rising. Pick up your stuff and run to the temple now!"

Quickly for such a large group of men the party run to the temple; the discipline once again save the day. Upon reaching it the men start barricading all openings including all but a few tiny holes to peek through well above ground
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 08:07:00 pm
The weary Anuireans make their way to the temple with their gear - all save Maire, who is calling yet more of the dead to rise from the sea. It is a sight none of you will forget...their bloated and pale faces...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 08:08:36 pm
The Governor runs behind Wallac into the temple.

"But it isn't a temple, just a memory of a temple! Will we still be safe here?"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 08:20:43 pm
"It's the best we have so lets make good use of it"

Wallac gathers the Governor, Sarae, Captain Oberon, Shauna, Lachlan, Ser Fedéren Cerien and lady Faieme. Speaking softly as for the men not to hear he addresses them.

“I know not what the High Priestess is doing but this feels wrong and I cannot have it. But be it as it is I can do nothing to stop it. I know not what has happened to Maire but I fear she has become possessed by some malign spirit so prepare for the worst without making the men losing what spirit they have left. Be ready to repel any attempt to breach the temple. We have little holy water left so instruct the men to make what we have count if it comes to that.”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 08:33:55 pm
The Governor scowls and looks at his comrades,

"I suspect everyone else is thinking it so I might as well say it.  We know we were betrayed by someone in coming here.  The Gnolls were waiting for us, the Obelisk was trapped, and an assassin was planted in Faieme's party.  The Gnoll attack this season past is enough to cause worry that someone in Mieres and Serien, someone with power, is betraying us.

Though I admit the Marie was at the bottom of my list of those I would suspect of such treachery... this is just... to much.  Oeberon, if you can, place some of your men in the high windows with what bows and arrows we have.  If necessary..." the Governor pauses, knowing what he says next will not be popular, "If necessary I want your men to fill Marie with as many as possible.  - But not until I or the High Pontiff order it - understood."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 08:41:18 pm
Maire tries to organize the dead Masetians in a deep crescent all staring at its centre right before main entrance of the temple. There shall be the focal point to concentrate all suffering they release and where hopefully the Veil will be pierced.

Then Maire walks to the barricaded entrance alone leaving the dead behind and says loudly "Here is the gate you can pass trough to the world of living. The dead won't harm you, I will see to it."

OOC: Does it work? If not, I will have to come with something different.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 08:42:57 pm
The Pontiff clearly seems NOT to be enjoying the thought of ordering a volley of arrows fired a Maire but he does not say anything against the Governor’s instructions.

“Let’s hope it does not come to that. We may be wrong and Maire is simply excising very poor judgment of a difficult situation. Let us warn her not to move closer before taking the most drastic of actions. I know that may be a risk but I am willing to be the one calling out for her and possible facing the consequences. I consider her my ally or at least I used to, and I hope my worst fears are proven wrong.”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 08:44:18 pm
"Maire stop where you are - don't come any closer. We can speak from here"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 09:38:38 pm
Someone steps out of the packed ranks of the dead. A man. Less bloated and hideous than the rest. He's just lacking his eyes...

"So what now priestess. You called us and promised deliverance. Yet I see no deliverance. I can feel you holding back...its is your own wards that are keeping us here. Dismiss it, and all shall be well."

The temple is now ringed by several thousand dead, perhaps even more than that.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 04, 2009, 09:47:34 pm
Celina Geren, the ETN paladin:

"High Priestess, you cannot do this. You cannot lose the dead upon the world of the living only to save us few! Come to your senses, or I will do what I have to do, in the name of the Lady!"

With that she draws her holy sword, anointed by the High Priestess herself, calls upon the power of her Goddess and makes ready to smite her mistress if need be...

...the speaker for the dead motions in her general direction and a score undead more to block her path...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 09:50:10 pm
"Celina come back. Before we throw away our lives in an attempt to stop this madness. Let's try to reason with the High Priestess first; to see if it can yet be unmade"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 10:07:47 pm
Wallac speak from the top of the temple

”Maire what have you done? I’ve asked you once before but you did not answer; this time I ask you as your Pontiff. Why have you called upon the dead? Why have you made them come alive and why do you refrain to set them free? I rather stay in the Shadow World than use such means to escape. Put those dead to proper rest. Release their immortal souls or face judgment!”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 04, 2009, 10:22:38 pm
... or face judgment!”

At the Pontiff's words the Governor motions to Oeberon to have his men take aim at the High Priestess.  Oeberon nods back that his men are in place and have taken aim.  They merely wait the Governor's orders to fire....

The Governor pulls Geren back as best he can while the High Pontiff attempts to speak reason.  "My Lady let me take care of this.  Killing the High Priestess is not in your nature regardless, and something I highly doubt you could likely live with for the rest of your life.  I'll give the order if this thing is to be done, and bear the consequences for the choice."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-DM Jon on June 04, 2009, 10:28:15 pm
Several hundred undead block your field of fire, they have by now completely surrounded the High Priestess, awaiting her decision. A small speck in a sea of ocean borne corpses. The stench is unbearable...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 04, 2009, 10:31:08 pm
Celina Geren, the ETN paladin:

"High Priestess, you cannot do this. You cannot lose the dead upon the world of the living only to save us few! Come to your senses, or I will do what I have to do, in the name of the Lady!"

With that she draws her holy sword, anointed by the High Priestess herself, calls upon the power of her Goddess and makes ready to smite her mistress if need be...

...the speaker for the dead motions in her general direction and a score undead more to block her path...

"All back! No one will harm the living! Yes you will be delivered,  your pain will end once for all. That I promise. And the Ward is here for it and must stay. All I need is a narrow channel to flow the might of the Goddess which will deliver you. And for that I need your help. Just concentrate all at this point and all will be well. Do it now!"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 04, 2009, 10:43:35 pm
"Maire please reconsider what you are doing. You are condemning yourself even as you believe you do this for the common good. This cannot end in a good way. Release the dead and atone for what you’ve done. You can still save your immortal soul; perhaps even your life. We may not live to see the Daylight World but better stay here than leave by such means.”
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 05, 2009, 07:49:29 am
Sarae Somellin has been very quiet in the last hours and she seems not particulary impressed by the huge undead's gathering.

Most of the time others regent haven't noticed her or they've seen her praying and meditating.

Suddenly she gathers all of her men still surviving and whispers them some orders. Quickly Eloèle's followers gather wood and small stones and they build a small chapel.

Sarae enters in with awe and respect. She took of from her pale neck a beutiful golden necklace with a black opal. She still remembers of it, it was the prize of one of her first steals founded when she had entered unnoticed in one of the richest family manor's of Seaward. Then it was the first time she had felt the blessing of Eloèle at her side. Many fences had offered her big rewards for it but she had never sold.

Sarae knells in front of a stone placed at the end of the chapel in guise of an altar. She puts the necklace in the altar and starts praying

"Mighty Eloèle, Mistress of Night and Sisters of Thieves, I offer this necklace ans a token for you. I know it may be a tiny prize for a power being like You but you may remember it was this necklace You used to channel your mighty power to bring me back from dead. Now it's yours and I promise this place will be forever consacrated to You as a safe haven for your followers while walking in the Shadow World. Then allow me, Mistress of Night and give me access to Your sacred Obelisk and to scry waht awaits for your humble servant Sarae"

ooC: while in the chapel if she was able to call for some Eloèle's power she uses it to get to Obelisk and to scry what the situation is in Daylight World around the Obelisk, if the way's safe, and waht may await for us in the southern wastelands in the SW.

Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 08:39:52 am
Sarae Somellin has been very quiet in the last hours and she seems not particulary impressed by the huge undead's gathering.

Most of the time others regent haven't noticed her or they've seen her praying and meditating.

Suddenly she gathers all of her men still surviving and whispers them some orders. Quickly Eloèle's followers gather wood and small stones and they build a small chapel.

Sarae enters in with awe and respect. She took of from her pale neck a beutiful golden necklace with a black opal. She still remembers of it, it was the prize of one of her first steals founded when she had entered unnoticed in one of the richest family manor's of Seaward. Then it was the first time she had felt the blessing of Eloèle at her side. Many fences had offered her big rewards for it but she had never sold.

Sarae knells in front of a stone placed at the end of the chapel in guise of an altar. She puts the necklace in the altar and starts praying

"Mighty Eloèle, Mistress of Night and Sisters of Thieves, I offer this necklace ans a token for you. I know it may be a tiny prize for a power being like You but you may remember it was this necklace You used to channel your mighty power to bring me back from dead. Now it's yours and I promise this place will be forever consacrated to You as a safe haven for your followers while walking in the Shadow World. Then allow me, Mistress of Night and give me access to Your sacred Obelisk and to scry waht awaits for your humble servant Sarae"

ooC: while in the chapel if she was able to call for some Eloèle's power she uses it to get to Obelisk and to scry what the situation is in Daylight World around the Obelisk, if the way's safe, and waht may await for us in the southern wastelands in the SW.

Your vision soars upwards and away, drawn towards the impenetrable black of the Obelisk. Once there you peer into its depths and see into the land of the living...

Yes, they await you there. A strong guard of gnolls, and more of the lion-men you saw before. there will be no out-running or evading them. There are also men there, just a few through, garbed in loos red robes, with shaven and tatooed heads - the sorcerer-disciples of the Red Wind. That way is shut for you, unless an army comes an chases the enemy away...but that will not happen, not with Serien divided and the Governor here.

Towards the north the forests looms dark...here and there you notice the presence of malicious spirits large and small, but you move on quickly, lest you attract their attention. To the north you find a glimmer of light, on the border of Thenial and Dhalier...the ruin the Pontiff spoke of. The one best avoided. That could be an escape, if only you could get there...but the demon-spirits block your way.

Perhaps you could go north by sea...but to you the sea appears even darker than the woods, and you dread the though of sailing it. The shadow ocean is not the domain of Eloéle....

To the south there are no spirits, not very many anyway. But neither are there many exits, only a weak glimmer of light far far away in the deep interior. Just getting there on foot will take a very long time and require much in terms of supplies. Perhaps, perhaps you can make it...but you will then be stranded deep inside Aduria once your return to the light...and will have another long journey to get back.

Outside you can feel the dead tugging at the Veil...only Maire's Shadow Ward keeps the worlds from overlapping. So there is another escape right there...if Maire follows through, you will all soon find yourself in the temple of Nesirie on the other side...but so will many of the dead. And there is no telling what will happen then...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 08:41:44 am
Celina Geren, the ETN paladin:

"High Priestess, you cannot do this. You cannot lose the dead upon the world of the living only to save us few! Come to your senses, or I will do what I have to do, in the name of the Lady!"

With that she draws her holy sword, anointed by the High Priestess herself, calls upon the power of her Goddess and makes ready to smite her mistress if need be...

...the speaker for the dead motions in her general direction and a score undead more to block her path...

"All back! No one will harm the living! Yes you will be delivered,  your pain will end once for all. That I promise. And the Ward is here for it and must stay. All I need is a narrow channel to flow the might of the Goddess which will deliver you. And for that I need your help. Just concentrate all at this point and all will be well. Do it now!"


"We will help you, but you must stop resisting. It is you who are holding everything back. You and your wards. If you do not let go, there is nothing we can do. And if there is to be no deliverance, then there will be a price to pay for disturbing the dead..."

He moves forward to seize Maire
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 05, 2009, 10:03:01 am
Maire falls to her knees and calls for Nesire in time of desperate need hoping that this call will reach Nesirie trough Masela/Nesirie temple. At the same time she tries to weaken her Ward at the place she is kneeling with hope that her call and Nesiries answer will flow trough easier.

To the dead Masetians:
"Kneel before the Goddess! Goddes of Sea. Goddess of Dead. Goddess of Masetians. Before YOUR Goddess. Let her see you and your suffering. Feel her compassion. Allow her to end your pain once and for all! We living will remember you for the rest of our lives and pass the memory to our successors."

To Nesirie:
"O Great Mother, guardian of dead, patron of Masetians. Please, look here and see all the suffering. I beg you, help me and end the pain of these poor tormented creatures once and for all. I know I might done wrong and I accept whatever punishment you deem appropriate for me. But please don't abandon them. Have compassion for those suffering and save them from eternal agony. And please protect the living who went here with me and who are innocent."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 05, 2009, 10:40:20 am
From the top of the temple Wallac hears the change in Maire’s voice – a change from command to prayer and upon hearing Maire’s prayer to Nesirie, a prayer where it is evident Maire’s have seen the errors of her past actions. Standing as transfixed Wallac is spurred into action as Maire’s words: “..done wrong and I accept whatever punishment”. He takes a step forward, almost falling off the temple.

Haelyn hear the confession of Maire. Well meant was her actions and ill did they turn out. I suspect even the most well meant action can easily be twisted here in the Shadow World. Hear her confession to your divine wife, Nesire, and lend her your guidance. I beg you to consider that she does not ask for mercy for herself but only for others; for the dead and for the living, but not for herself. Truly she did walk on a path that turned from grey to black, but she also turned back and took responsibility. My Lord I beg, assist your wife in this and lend her your strength and your council.
My Lord let Maire be sparred!
"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 05, 2009, 10:49:02 am
Sarae is near the Pontiff and the Governor

"After scrying all I think the best think it's to let the nice priestess to continue in her effort, when the veil will open there'll be great turmoil. Governor, are forces loyal to you near the ETN temple where we're supposed to coming out?"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 11:01:13 am
The dead have restrained the paladin by piling on top of her...all the while Maire continues to pray...eventually releasing the power of her wards over the temple. There is a sickening falling sensation and then there is moonlight and torchlight all around! You are in the daylight world, in the exact spot you where in the SW (i.e. most of you are in the temple, some on the roof, others outside). You've done it!

But so have the dead. Endless rows of living dead now crowd the streets. Quickly they start seizing the villagers and start hauling hem towards the waiting sea. Only your own men and what clergy there is in the temple at this late hour are untouched...and Marie. They leave Maire alone...but Cerlina Geren is dragged screaming towards the shore.

The speaker for the dead:

"Than you Maire. You have released us from hellish bondage. Now we are free to join our mistress in the dark deep. Goodbye."
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 05, 2009, 11:08:52 am
"WHAT IS HAPPENING? MAIRE STOP THEM! SAVE THE VILLAGERS!"

Wallac address the speaker of the dead

"Why oh why do you seize the innocent villagers? Why do you take the Paladin Cerlina Geren? You've been released now don't condem yourself yet again as the first action. Leave those people alone and seek the eternal rest of your souls"
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 05, 2009, 11:14:10 am
If the dead ignores his pleads and keeps seizing the villagers Wallac run down the temple and begin to drag people inside in the hope they will be safe. He instruct all those that cares to join him to help; his own people do it without second thoughts. Saving the people, including the paladin, is a priority
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 11:18:18 am
Anyone that leaves the temple before the undead are gone will be seized and dragged to sea; simple as that.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-EOM/SS (Marco) on June 05, 2009, 11:27:46 am
Sarae takes care all of her surviving followers will remain in the temple until the undead will disappear into the sea
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 05, 2009, 11:33:49 am
“For seizing the innocent and sleeping villagers from their beds and dragging them to the sea I condemn you for all eternity. The followers of Nesirie may believe that the dead’s salvation depend on being remembered by the living but I will remember you for the great atrocity you visited upon those poor people this night and I will pray to God, to Divine Haelyn, that justice will be done, be it in this world or the afterlife you hope to enjoy.”

Wallac does not accept this destiny gracefully. Trying to leave the sacred ground he is restrained by Lachlan with force
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor) on June 05, 2009, 11:38:57 am
"No, no!" shrieks Maire. "Let the living be! Leave in peace."
Frantically, Maire starts to run around attempting to wrestle the villagers and Celina from the dead. She uses any means, physical or whatever magic left in her to save as many people as possible but it is clear she can save only a few however she may refuse to acknowledge it.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 12:08:45 pm
All the priests present, save poor Celina, have lost their divine powers. You have helped, or did not try hard enough to prevent, a horde of undead from entering the Daylight World. An act more heinous or stupid would be hard to imagine. Penance is in order...surelythere must be acts of goodness that can wash away the stain upon your souls!?

In the end, Maire manages to save a small child. Without the blessings of the Mother she is nothing. As for the Pontiff's words the speaker for the dead only laughs:

"We are already condemned men priest of a false god; why else do you think we were condemned to an eternity of punishment in that bleak realm? Mercy is for the weak...as you have now learned..."

The rest go into the deep to keep the undead company - all those years alone beneath the dark waves...is it any wonder they long for some company? Can you blame them?

The main part of the adventure has ended. You are free to continue talking of course, but you are safe in the village. All the regents are alive, as are the AAs, save poor Celina. In addition there is a hardened core of followers left, some for each domain.

OOC: Good work. Though in a sense incredibly stupid, Marie's plan was both innovative and made for an excellent story. I had not intended to let the SW let you go so easily, but creativity like this should be rewarded. But that said - the undead are not for the living to play with...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) on June 05, 2009, 12:36:28 pm
Relaxing his attempts to escape Wallac bleakly stare as the villagers are carried away to the sea.
As their number decrease Lachlan, thinking Wallac has come to his senses, hold less tight.
Wallac seize the opportunity a tear himself from the restrain of Lachlan and run after the undead.

Last order: Everybody stay where they are

The vast majority has already gone beneath the waves but still their number is overwhelming

“By Haelyn I will not passively let you take these people see if you can cope with me”

Wallac throw himself at the dead brandishing his holy symbol. At first the undead shrink back from Wallac releasing a boy, who makes a run for the temple. For a moment it looks like Wallac have power over the dead; that he can actually alone, just one man, stem the river of the undead.

A wave ripples through the undead and as if directed by one mind they turn on Wallac. Hundreds and hundreds of shambling rotting bodies, malignance shining from their eyes, pressing in on the Pontiff. With a mighty roar Wallac invoke Haelyn's wrath and smite scores of them though almost as quickly they are replaced. Once, twice and three times does Haelyn’s power stream from Wallac to scourge the undead just around Wallac, then it is melee.
The undead ignore all defense and all wounds inflicted upon them; their only goal is to overwhelm Wallac and drag him to the sea.

Piling on top of the Wallac a score of undead succeeds in subduing him. Quickly they lift him up while holding him tight. There can be no escape and Wallac knows it.

As he is carried towards the sea Wallac pray. The prayer is in an aerie way audible over the whole village.

“Haelyn forgive your servant. Little did I realize what Maire where doing. I thought I had succeeded in making her realize the error of her way. Alas I was wrong as she had not. Forgive my failure in protecting the villagers and save my immortal soul from damnation. I commend my soul in your care my Lord”


And so it came that the Pontiff of all Anuire was dragged to the sea to be drowned along with the rest of the villagers.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark) on June 05, 2009, 02:03:07 pm
The Governor startled reaches out for the nearest object, which happens to be a small stool and attempts to bring it down on the Pontiff's head. 

He's learned what happens when he DOESN'T bludgeon priests who are about to do something stupid - though if the Pontiff gets out of the temple, he's on his own...
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: X-DM Jon on June 05, 2009, 02:05:04 pm
The stool collides solidly with the backhead of the grief-crazy Pontiff who goes down like a sack of potatoes.

 In sweet dreams he sacrifices himself to Haelyn, but in real drab life he is dragged back inside the temple.
Title: Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
Post by: DM B on June 05, 2009, 02:18:42 pm
If you want to continue, do so in the Aftermath thread.