Twilightpeaks.net

RoE Archive => RoE2 Archives => Legends of the Hero-Kings => Topic started by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 18, 2009, 06:48:38 am

Title: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 18, 2009, 06:48:38 am

The Duchess column arrives at Croaker Norge, the largest town in Monsedge.
Both local nobles and traders from near and far have taken a strong interest in the gold rush that as swept the province.

As both the Duchess and the provinces regent, the Duchess vassal and close confidant, Maquis Braedonnal Tuare meet the local dignitaries a feeling of unease settle over the gathering. The Duchess has requested a report from persons of importance, be they noble landowners or prominent guilders.

(--- OOC: Will this do DMs ? May we adventure ?  ---)

Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 18, 2009, 11:15:54 pm
Will start tomorrow.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 19, 2009, 02:40:36 am
Sir Guy de Nichalier is present, along with a small retinue of bodyguards, having ridden to join the Duchess shortly after she left the Imperial City.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 19, 2009, 04:56:57 am

Minor nobles, local landowners, and prominent guilders have all gathered at the estate of Maquis Braedonnal Tuare just outside Croaker Norge.
A fine evening banquet has been arranged and all should be well as the Duchess has granted the province the honour of a visit. But the gathering is tense.
The Duchess did not come alone. Some hours after the Duchess column arrived another group of heavily armed knights entered the town. Sir Guy de Nichalier, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, also known as the Red Knight has come to Tuornen. 
Such men do not tread lightly, so the locals here gathered feel a strong desire to uncover what change will follow now.

As the whispering of rumours, true and false, grows to levels above modesty and good conduct the Duchess signals her Maquis. He stands tall and lifts his voice over the murmur of the room.

“All hear! All Hear!”

Silence fills the room, the anticipation and unease shifts in the eyes of the locals.

“The Duchess Laela Flaertes of Tuornen, liege of these lands!”

The Duchess steps forward, smiling, eyes on all and non.

“Our journey north has been a great joy. And indeed this joy grows more as Our Maquis have been able to gather such a room filled with hope, prosperity and potential. All present have Our good will this evening.

Sir Guy de Nichalier, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, a shield against Evil for all deserving, Our gratitude goes to Your Grace.

Before all will be allowed to present their views on matters important to Monsedge, as was Our request for these evening, Our heart will share with you all Our vision of the coming time.

It has become Our will that taxes should not be collected in Monsedge and Ghonallison until these provinces has been born again from the ashes of darkness. Our Maquis will rather be granted funds from Our court to rule these lands.

Great efforts have been set in motion to make sure any orog or brigand will be tracked down and slain. And that will also be the faith of any who plot, conspire or espier to hinder the healing and cleansing of this Our Tuornen.

Now who will be the first to claim the floor and speak of matters important in Monsedge? What is this news Our court tell of the precious metal found of late?”

Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 19, 2009, 08:42:25 pm
Guy de Nichalier observes the scene quietly, standing behind the Duchess and to the left.  His eyes seem to examine each person in the room, one at a time. 

OOC: Take 20 on a spot check
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 19, 2009, 11:02:02 pm
Guy notices an old crone standing alone in the middle of the room; no-one else seems to notice her - the do not look at her, but somehow know she's there and avoid her.

She notices Guy looking and then she winks at him.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 19, 2009, 11:06:56 pm
Braedonnal Tuare, the Elf General of Tuornen stands to speak. He is quite tall, over six feet, but does not have the light build common to this people; instead he is broad of shoulder and strong of arm. He has quite a presence...on the level of the Duchess, but less subtle...and far more alien.

"The gold matter but little to me...save for the fact that it will pay for soldiers and thus secure our grand realm all the more. But first we must take care of goblins and orogs. We shall send forth scouting parties and mounted reserves to follow them. My knights know this land well, and traverse it well even on horseback, and our mounts are hardy and used to difficult terrain. Once the scouts sot trouble they will call for support while keeping the enemy either pinned or followed."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 20, 2009, 01:52:41 am
The Duchess walk among the gathered.
"Good good, Our Marquis is Our hope for order and law in these lands. But there must be someone that know of from where all this talk of gold finds comes. And what of raider and brigands? You have all sufered much, you deserve peace and prosperity, securety and trade.  Is there any here that can speak for the Source of Masiel trade guild?"
The Duchess looks at each in turn, smiling but willing them to speak. 
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 20, 2009, 02:08:39 am
Sir Guy smiles towards Braedonnal Tuare and speaks softly.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you.  I had heard rumors that you were in Endier not long ago."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 20, 2009, 11:40:00 am
Guy allows his eye to wander to the crone from time to time, concerned she may be a spellcaster, and wondering how many people a fireball would kill.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 21, 2009, 06:49:13 am
Sir Guy smiles towards Braedonnal Tuare and speaks softly.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you.  I had heard rumors that you were in Endier not long ago."

"Yes, I was there briefly not too many months ago. A most...busy...city Endier is, even for a human settlement."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 21, 2009, 06:49:46 am
Guy allows his eye to wander to the crone from time to time, concerned she may be a spellcaster, and wondering how many people a fireball would kill.

As soon as you took you eyes away to speak to Braedonnal she slipped away; she's nowhere to be seen.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 21, 2009, 06:52:31 am
The Duchess walk among the gathered.
"Good good, Our Marquis is Our hope for order and law in these lands. But there must be someone that know of from where all this talk of gold finds comes. And what of raider and brigands? You have all sufered much, you deserve peace and prosperity, securety and trade.  Is there any here that can speak for the Source of Masiel trade guild?"
The Duchess looks at each in turn, smiling but willing them to speak.

A young man with dark hair and very fine garb steps up;

"I am Galdiel Endiel, envoy from the Source of the Maesil - and ambassador of sorts if you will. The guildmasters would like to extend their well-wished to the Duchess, and assure her that any major find will be thoroughly investigated and exploited, to the benefit of all Tuornen; they are certain that through taxes many gold pieces will enter the Duchess' coffers."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 21, 2009, 11:35:58 am
"Gretings young man, We are pleased you could make it to  Our gathering. So can you confirm that there have been a major find these last seasons? There are news of such a find, and that your guild is involved in talk with nobles on this mater." The Duches scans the rom to see how the others react and regard this man.
quote]
A young man with dark hair and very fine garb steps up;
"I am Galdiel Endiel, envoy from the Source of the Maesil - and ambassador of sorts if you will. The guildmasters would like to extend their well-wished to the Duchess, and assure her that any major find will be thoroughly investigated and exploited, to the benefit of all Tuornen; they are certain that through taxes many gold pieces will enter the Duchess' coffers."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 21, 2009, 12:51:01 pm
"No Your GRace; no major find yet. But several promising minor ones. Together with local landowners we have been trying to find our way; but it is dangerous, with the orogs about and all.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 21, 2009, 02:30:23 pm
Sir Guy's eyes focus more sharply with the mention of Orogs.

Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 21, 2009, 02:35:40 pm
The orogs need clearing out; then we can see if there is more gold to be found. And once the gold is found, we need to determine what local landowners are affected, how much the SoM can extract, and what taxes will flow to the Duchess treasury.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-MOC/Leman States (Even) on March 21, 2009, 05:21:48 pm
At the Duchess' request, Auxiliary-Patriarch Tanar joins the gathering.

"Your Grace, Patriarch States sends his regards. Marquis Tuare, please accept these donations from the Militant Order to help you rebuilding these lands."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 22, 2009, 01:08:01 am
Sir Guy nods at the Duchess and speaks to Endiel. 

"I think we can probably do something about those Orogs.  What do you think?" Guy asks looking back towards Flaertes.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 22, 2009, 05:04:54 am
Sir Guy nods at the Duchess and speaks to Endiel. 

"I think we can probably do something about those Orogs.  What do you think?" Guy asks looking back towards Flaertes.

“Yes Sir Guy”

The Duchess looks up proudly at Tuare.

“As has been stated, Our Maquis Tuare is fielding patrols and is surveying what treats there are to the lands of the north. The treat will be removed shortly, even if, as Our understanding extends, the fell beasts seek to hide when armed riders come to close.

Our gratitude is earned by the Knights of Haelyn for their service and support in clearing this vermin from the lands of Our Maquis.”

Turning to Galdiel Endiel, envoy from the Source of the Maesil, the Duchess states businesslike -

“Well, Good Envoy, Galdiel Endiel, Our Maquis Tuare and Our court should expect a closer connection with the Source of the Maesil on these matters then. And so the Good Envoy should earn Our favour.”

Smiling slightly the Duchess ads –

“We are pleased.”

The rest of the evenings gathering the Duchess has Her Maquis Tuare present each attending dignitary in order of importance. The Duchess takes a strong interest in the well being of the gathered and notes their worries.

Special attentions are also given to Auxiliary-Patriarch Tanar of the Militant Order of Cuiraécen.     
The Duchess personally thanks the Auxiliary-Patriarch for his presence. And invite him to join Her as She talks with each and all. The Duchess asks the Auxiliary-Patriarch about his opinions when talking with gathered and percent the Auxiliary-Patriarch as important in the work that must be done in the north.

The Duchess informs that She and Her guests will travel further north in the next days and aim for Fox Run in Ghonallison as the next major point of interest.

Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 22, 2009, 07:41:51 am
OOC: Are you going to chat more amongst yourselves, or should we move on to orgo-searching?
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 22, 2009, 07:27:44 pm
Late in the evening the Duschess has a final close talk with Maquis Tuare, Sir Guy of the KoH, the trusted sheriff of Monsedge William Redstaff and also Auxiliary-Patriarch Tanar of the MOC.

The Duchess asks the trusted sheriff to carefully collect all stories of the gold finds. Note names on any who has found gold, or claim to have firsthand knowledge of someone that has found gold. The Duchess also by word charges the trusted sheriff with a special right to request the same information from the SoM, in the name of the Duchess. The Duchess suggests that the MoC should aid with book learned scribes to assist the trusted sheriff in his work on this matter.

“Our will is that the facts be drawn into the light on this matter. There is no evil in gold, these gold finds would be blessing indeed for Monsedge, and Our person has no greed in Her heart! Bring before Us any who claim otherwise! But if there is mischief, deception, illusions or, Gods forbid, witchcraft at work in Monsedge, and it is from that where these shy rumors of gold comes, then heads will roll!
So is Our will!”

OOC:
Yes, don’t see much more to do here now at this moment. I have gotten some useful info that was hard to get by more mundane means. We are ready to hunt orog!
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 22, 2009, 08:45:54 pm
In the late evening a wagon arrives escorted by a pair of Knights.  The next morning, Sir Guy speaks with them.

"My Lord, we bring supplies that Montpilier said you would need."

Sir Guy raises an eyebrow

"We bring healing potions, antidote doses, sunrods, grappling hooks, well Lord, here is the list" the knight says as he hands Sir Guy a scroll.  As Guy opens the scroll he looks annoyed as the scroll is nearly 2 feet long.


"He said I'd need all of these items?  Books, he sends me books?  Well, his heart is in the right place.  You two will stay here for a time.  I want you to survey the surrounding lands and see if there is anywhere that looks right for a small outpost by our Order."

"Yes, My Lord", replies the Knight, as the pair of them step away and leave.  Sir Guy removes several items from the wagon and distributes them to his bodyguards.

Sir Guy nods to the General of Tuoren "The Orogs will, of course, be in the hills.  My men and I have ample provisions, perhaps too ample, but in any event, we are ready.  We shall depart on your word" Guy states, glancing at the Duchess for the last part.

(OOC: Taking some liberties, cuz, OMG, we gotta get this moving)

The Duchess nods and the party heads west, towards the dangerous mountain-like hills, reputed to be crawling with Orogs.

Sir Guy's 8 bodyguards fan out, 3 on each flank, and 2 in the rear.  Sir Guy gazes at each stone as if it might hide something deadly.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 23, 2009, 11:51:24 pm
As the party traverses the broken hills, a keen-eyed ranger, trained by Brandonael Tuore, spots an Orog hiding in a cave.  He alerts the party and they rush to the cave entrance to find no sign of the Orog, except some hastily-covered tracks leading underground.

Sir Guy says "If we act quickly, we may be able to find his tribe and take them relatively unawares"

(OOC: Again, taking liberties)
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 24, 2009, 09:15:31 am
OOC: Not sure how many personal guards you have; but with one Duchess, One Count/Grand-Maester and one Aux-Patriarch of a militant god I'm assuming you have quite a personal guard. Any MILITARY UNITS supporting this operation don't come directly into the adventure, but will contribute vs. any unit-sized groups of orogs.

Can we say 20 knights for the Duchess, 20 for the G-M and 20 templars for Drago Tanar? Plus am equal number of armsmen/sergeants, a smattering of squires/acolytes and a variety of servants? Of named characters we have the Duchess, Drago, the G-M and Braedonnal. Anyone else?

OOC2: You MUST take liberties to move things forward; as long as you're not obviously trying to make everything go your way you can take great liberties without any censure from the DMs.

IC: The orogs strike as the advance party has entered the cave, with more men on their way in, but the bulk of the guards outside. It is a three-pronged strike; orogs strike at those in the cave from a hidden tunnel, a rock-slide seals the entrance (crushing several guards in the process), and camouflaged orogs reveal themselves jumping out of hidden pits dug among the trees. Braedonnal and Guy are caught inside the cave, while Drago and the Duchess remain outside.

About 20 knights and armsmen are inside the cave, and their main problem is a lack of light. Braedonnal's sword and a few torches are glowing, but anyone with nightvision poorer than an elf is at a disadvantage. Braedonnal charges into the emerging orogs, rightly perceiving that you must contain the NOW or risk being surround.

Outside the situation is better; there are at least 80 men under arms, and they quickly close ranks and stop the orog charge. A drawn-out battle ensures, between packed ranks of heavy foot-men, until several knights can mount up and start making lighting sallies. Unfortunately the get cocky, and as the orogs fall back from their third charge they pursue and get surrounded and cut to pieces. Then a trio of hill giants appear on the ridge above the collapsed cave mouth...
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 24, 2009, 11:11:14 am
OOC:
It has been stated that Erin Hunter, Regan Pechalime and William Redstaff also follow the Duchess on this “expedition”. But William Redstaff would have left the group after the first part.

Assuming the short scribble of the same name in “The bard” section is relevant, where it is also said in the end “OOC: There will be an adventure to continue this short scribble.”
In the above mentioned text it is said that :
“Outriders of Maquis Braedonnal Tuare screens the (Duchess) column as it travels..”
http://roe.twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=491.0
So at some distance a unit of elite Outriders, about 200 riders I believe, form a circle of patrols, say ten patrols each of twenty riders.

OOC2: Got it, still learning :-)

IC on the way now.
Title: Inside the Cave
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 24, 2009, 12:15:20 pm
Sir Guy frantically pulls a sunrod from his belt pouch and throws it to the left.  He then grabs another and tosses it straight ahead.  As he reaches into his pouch for a third sunrod, other sunrods begin littering the ground as his bodyguards put the excess supplies to good use.  He suddenly lets go of the sunrod he had half-drawn as a large Orog swings a great axe at him.

Sir Guy leaps backward, nearly stumbling over ruble as the Orog continues his assault.  The Orog slashes wide, striking the man next to guy in the shoulder.  Just as the Orog raises his axe to finish the injued man off, Sir Guy delivers a swift kick to the Orog's sensitive parts.  While the Orog shakes off the blow, Sir Guy readies his battleaxe and wheels around behind the Orog.

Greataxe clangs against shield as Sir Guy blocks the first strike, and then he swings to the right, forcing the Orog to move to the left, right into the blades of two Knights.  The Orog falls in a puddle of blood as Sir Guy and the two knights advance into the now, well-lit, fray.

They fight as a team, with no man seeking the glory as they engage their foes.  Again and again, the same tactic, one will lure an opponent into attacking with exposed flanks, and the others cut him down.  Brandoenal is up ahead, only 15 feet or so, but he is surrounded.  They pause for a moment to admire his skill with the blades.  They watch as he slashes low, and one Orog dies, and then he slashes high, and another Orog dies, and then he pierces backward, and another Orog dies, and finally he does a short cut, a weak blow backed with mostly the muscle of the wrist, and an Orog staggers back bleeding.  This in the space of a few seconds.  Elven Swordplay evidently has many techniques the Knights are unfamiliar with. 

The three Knights, led by Sir Guy, quicky advance to Brandoenal's right flank, just in time to receive a charge by a dozen Orogs.  Sir Guy brings his battleaxe down on the head of one of them, but as it crumples another Orog leaps over the falling corpse and lands directly on Sir Guy.  The two of them fall to the ground as other Orogs engage the remaining standing men.

Sir Guy and the Orog wrestle on the ground, Sir Guy unable to use his axe as the Orog uses his superior strength to attempt to hold Sir Guy down.  Sir Guy manages to roll away and stand, but his magical shield is left under the Orog who rises slowly.  A bit too slowly, as Guy's two-handed swing at head level simply decapitates the Orog.  As he reaches to grab his shield another Orog charges him, Sir Guy manages a quick swing that injures its leg, but it still slams into him, 300 pounds of flesh and steel forcing him back, against a wall.  Sir Guy notices a sharp pain in his stomach as he prepares to swing at the Orog, and notices a dagger in his belly.

The Orog draws a serrated greatsword just as Sir Guy swings at him.  The Orog, however, steps to the side and attempts a clumsy blow, and misses.  The two warriors circle each other warrily, each attempting a swing while the other moves to the side.

Nearby, one of the Knights slips on a pool of Orog Blood and falls to his hind end.  Four new Orogs join the fray and he is forced to essentially hide behind his shield as his brother and Brandoenal engage them.

Meanwhile, Sir Guy has lost track of the battle at the cave entrance, and is completely unaware of the battle outside the cave.  His Knights, well-equipped with many healing potions, do their best not only to kill the enemy, but also to aid their fellows.
Title: Inside the Cave.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 24, 2009, 12:52:21 pm
The men at the cave entrance, having readied weapons, provided light sources, and gathered their wits let out a battle cry as they charge forward as one. 

Sir Guy is shocked as his opponent is run through by member of the Tuoren Outriders.  He takes a moment to remove the dagger from his stomach as the line of men charges forward, passing the fallen Knight, who is helped to his feet by one of his passing fellows, and moving right to the sides of the front line, which previously consisted of two men (well, an elf and a man) and now consists of 19 men.  They push forward, swiftly, these elite soldiers, some fighting for Haelyn, some fighting for Tuoren and the General they love, some fighting to keep their Grand-Maester alive, but all of them fighting with everything they have, for there can be no surrender and no retreat.

The line pushes forward a few feet every few seconds as the chamber widens, and Sir Guy joins the line.  Every man fighting within 10 feet of Sir Guy is filled with supernatural courage.  Dozens of Orogs lay dead, and not man is down, and a sense of imminent victory fills the hearts of all.

Suddenly, the situation changes.  A secret passage behind the line of men is revealed, and a group of 8 plate-armored Orogs emerges.  At the back of this group is an Orog wearing black robes and carrying a wand.  Sir Guy recalls studying the books about Orog tribal customs, and he knows that one of those Plate armored Orogs must be the chieftain, but which one.  And the wand-user is obviously about to do something terrible, but with 8 very tough Orogs protecting him, he will doubtlessly be able to get a few spells off. 

Sir Guy orders the Knights of Haelyn to form a line behind the other line.  With steel pressing on both sides, the men pray that those behind them will not fall, lest they be flanked.

"Brandoenal, we have to get that caster!" Guy declares just as the beast activates his wand and..........................
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 24, 2009, 06:24:52 pm
OOC:
Taking the liberty to connect the posts I conclude that it is after the last post above that "a rock-slide seals the entrance ", as it is described by DM.

IC :
In the chaotic brawl that ensued outside the cave Duchess Laera Flaertes was above all else tending to the wounded (cure light/medium wounds) and aiding them back in to the fray around Her.

The orog ambush had been a clear success, at least in the beginning. All of the Duchess party had been dismounted, and was waiting for an additional patrol of outriders to take over the care of the horses when the orogs struck.
Camouflaged orogs came charging up from hidden pits among the few surrounding patches of trees. Slaying and panicking several horses in the first moments and for all purposes surrounding the Duschess and Her party. The forces of the first charge was so that it took an considerable effort to get order in the battle lines so as to enable Ducal knights to mount up and charge the Orog line.

The warning shout “Orog Warlock at the back!” was heard from the cave during that chaotic brawl, shortly thereafter a rock-slide had barred the cave entrance and probably been the death of the guards that had been standing there shouting.

With sad eyes Duchess Laera Flaertes had witnessed some of Her proud knights valiantly continue their charge to drive the orogs back towards a larger group of trees just to be ambushed again by additional orogs emerging from the pits. So even if in their death those guards had ended the current orog treat the cost in blood was now getting very high.

As the Erin Hunter and Regan Pechalime quickly rallied the force outside the cave, Duchess Laera Flaertes started Her song of Heroes of past Honor and present Courage (Inspire Courage - Bardic Music)

Then three shadows fell over the Duchess and Her rallying party.
Above them, on the very top above the cave entrance, three hill giants stepped forward.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 24, 2009, 06:44:42 pm

Erin Hunter and Regan Pechalime lifted their heads and burst out in succession,

“Bastards!” , “Damn their fat asses!”

The more recent acquaintances of these two rather unruly young ladies of nobility, if not of womanly tact and femininity, was still not fully familiar with this trait of character. But there was scant time for pleasantries.

The warrior girls had split the various knights between them as they rallied the force and now set out to flank, each with their group of knights in tow, up the small hill on each side of the cave mouth.   

As their very life revolve around a constant struggle of who can shock the most number of hansom men Erin Hunter yelled out, “Come on my boys! If you want a better look at my shapely ass you all better join me on top!”

Not to be, gods forbid, out-done by Erin, Regan Pechalime followed with her battle cry, “Follow me men and I promise you will lay next to me tonight! Slain or breeding!”

Duchess Laera Flaertes mounted her horse and barked out at the remaining group now consisting of Herself, Drago and outriders.

“Auxiliary-Patriarch mount up and stay with Us! Outriders mount and employ crossbows at distance!”
 
The Duchess continues Her song with far more power and volume then Her slight frame could suggest possible (Inspire Courage - Bardic Music).

 
Title: Inside the Cave
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 24, 2009, 07:23:21 pm
......(continuing from before, the wand of Grease(enlarged) activates)
and a 20 foot square, right where the humans were standing, is covered in a thin, slick subtstance.   A dozen men fall to the ground, leaving only 8 standing, including Sir Guy and General Braedonnal.  Many Orogs also fall, but the bulk of them stand back and ready Javelins and begin throwing them at the prone men.  The plate-armored Orogs form a wall of steel in front of their caster.  Sir Guy notices one of them wearing a glowing necklace.  It must be the chieftain.  He scrambles forward, narrowly avoiding tripping as he and two other men, one a Knight and the other an outrider face off against the armored Orogs.

The sounds of dying men behind them motivating them to greater urgency, they are forced to split off, the other Knight moving left and Guy and the outrider to the right to avoid being in the grease any longer.  The Orogs fight calmly, with great deliberation, taking care to not expose themselves to any attack. (Defensive Fighting, perhaps with combat expertise)

The outrider lunges forward and an Orog blocks his blow easily, raising his right arm to parry with with his sword, then looks very surprised as the man's offhand suddenly thrusts a blade deep into the Orog's exposed armpit.  It shakes its head, then crumbles under the weight of its armor, muttering something in Orog about poison.

The other Knight, seeing that time is not on his side here, shouts a battlecry and charges towards the shaman with his shield presented.  One Orog moves left and the other right, and both swing at the back of the Knight as he moves forward.  One blow strikes true, and he staggers but continues toward his target, raising his longsword to strike the creature down just as it turns, with a glowing hand and touches the Knight, electricity flowing through him.  As his vision clouds into darkness, the Knight strikes true, plunging his blade deep into the shaman.  Both tumble to the ground.

Sir Guy fights aggressively, trying to force the Orogs out of his way.  He slashes one across the leg, and hits another in the shoulder, forcing it to drop its sword and withdraw.  Stepping forward, the wounded one steps in behind him as another Orog steps in front of him, flanking him perfectly.  Despite their excellent set-up, and the fact that both attacks connect with his armor, neither blow is more then glancing.

Seeing his fellow Knight fall, Guy shield-bashes the one ahead of him and brings his axe down on the head of another who had advanced to coup de grace the fallen Knight.  That Orog falls to the ground, dead, as the shaman reaches out and tries to push the heavy Knight off of him.

On the other side of the battle in the cave, Braedonnal is doing very well.  When the Orog's decided to play missile-combat with him, he took the opportunity to teach them why one doesn't do that to elves.  One, Two, Three, Four arrows fliy from his bow, each hitting the same Orog in the chest as it falls to to the ground, its javelin falling from its grasp.  Repeating this a few times, the Orogs attempt to melee, but are much less able to stand in the grease then is Braedonnal, and as the first one falls before him, he slices it in two, before moving to the next one.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 24, 2009, 08:15:13 pm
Suddenly you have the cave under control, and whatever orogs there might be deeper down the tunnel have lost the will to come out and fight.

Unfortunately there is now way back out the way you came; the cave is shut. So the only way out would be deeper into the ground - presumably the orogs have other exits.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 24, 2009, 08:21:31 pm
Outside a patrol of twenty outriders have appeared at the orogs' rear, taking a lot of pressure of the defenders outside the collapse cave entrance. And that is really in the nick of time, because the trio of giants are pelting the defenders with largish rocks and logs, causing several fatalities and numerous injuries, large and small.

Regan Pechalime takes an orog spear through the neck as she blocks an attempt at the Duchess life; the orog, a hardened warrior, then proceeds to put his spear through the Duchess' thigh before he can be killed by knights racing to the rescue. You're winning all right, but its going to be a hollow victory.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 24, 2009, 08:41:44 pm
Suddenly you have the cave under control, and whatever orogs there might be deeper down the tunnel have lost the will to come out and fight.

Unfortunately there is now way back out the way you came; the cave is shut. So the only way out would be deeper into the ground - presumably the orogs have other exits.

Push onward quickly (Bradonnal's suggestion) or regroup?
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 24, 2009, 08:42:07 pm
Outside a patrol of twenty outriders have appeared at the orogs' rear, taking a lot of pressure of the defenders outside the collapse cave entrance. And that is really in the nick of time, because the trio of giants are pelting the defenders with largish rocks and logs, causing several fatalities and numerous injuries, large and small.

Regan Pechalime takes an orog spear through the neck as she blocks an attempt at the Duchess life; the orog, a hardened warrior, then proceeds to put his spear through the Duchess' thigh before he can be killed by knights racing to the rescue. You're winning all right, but its going to be a hollow victory.

Continue fighting defensively or go on the offense?
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 24, 2009, 09:37:27 pm
Taking a few moments to distribute healing potions and revive the fallen, the men quickly move around the grease and further down the corridor. 

Guy declares "We'll find an exit soon, don't worry Brandoenel, we'll find your Duchess safe and sound outside with a virtual army guarding her soon enough.  We just might have to slay a few dozen more Orogs first."
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 24, 2009, 10:44:02 pm

Auxiliary-Patriarch Tanar of the Militant Order of Cuiraécen and Duchess Laela Flaertes do what they can with magic and skill to save the life of Regan Pechalime.

Also they continue the tending of the wounded as more and more patrols of outriders arrive to join the battle.
The Duchess knows that quick riders have been dispatched to bring more outriders and even Marquis Braedonnal Tuares legendary knights to this field but that may be too late for any inside the cave so She calls for one of the officers of the outriders.

“Good rider of the Marquis, it is Our will that every stone is turned and every bush parted to find a second entrance to the cave!”

The Duchess points around Her at what is now more a gathering point for wounded then a still contended battleground.

“Secure this area first, and then scourge the surrounding lands for any orogs still alive!”

After the outrider officers depart the Duchess looks down at her blood splattered clothes and say, not only to herself but to the good Auxiliary-Patriarch too,

“We did go looking for this did We not? And find it We sure did, did We not? Now We must show that it was a deliberate move, and indeed War was what We wanted against this evil spawn!”
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 25, 2009, 08:47:14 am

Auxiliary-Patriarch Tanar of the Militant Order of Cuiraécen and Duchess Laela Flaertes do what they can with magic and skill to save the life of Regan Pechalime.

Also they continue the tending of the wounded as more and more patrols of outriders arrive to join the battle.
The Duchess knows that quick riders have been dispatched to bring more outriders and even Marquis Braedonnal Tuares legendary knights to this field but that may be too late for any inside the cave so She calls for one of the officers of the outriders.

“Good rider of the Marquis, it is Our will that every stone is turned and every bush parted to find a second entrance to the cave!”

The Duchess points around Her at what is now more a gathering point for wounded then a still contended battleground.

“Secure this area first, and then scourge the surrounding lands for any orogs still alive!”

After the outrider officers depart the Duchess looks down at her blood splattered clothes and say, not only to herself but to the good Auxiliary-Patriarch too,

“We did go looking for this did We not? And find it We sure did, did We not? Now We must show that it was a deliberate move, and indeed War was what We wanted against this evil spawn!”

The orogs are put to flight, and the outriders chase the giants away with a hail of arrows. For Regan there is no hope; half her neck is gone. Only a divine miracle could save her...or judging from her cold and still face even that might be too late.

OK, you've broken the orogs outside; what do you do now?
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 25, 2009, 08:49:56 am
Taking a few moments to distribute healing potions and revive the fallen, the men quickly move around the grease and further down the corridor. 

Guy declares "We'll find an exit soon, don't worry Brandoenel, we'll find your Duchess safe and sound outside with a virtual army guarding her soon enough.  We just might have to slay a few dozen more Orogs first."

Soon you find out that fighting orogs below ground is no easy task; three times Braedonnal tries to lead the knights to break through their defensive line inside the tunnel. But locked shields, heavy spears and crossbow fire makes it nigh impossible to gain any ground. Even Braedonnal shows signs of exhaustion, and is bleeding from several minor wounds.

You have only 7 knights still standing, the rest are either dead or too wounded to be of any use.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 25, 2009, 03:15:24 pm
Guy takes a moment to fight behind his shield as he tries to boost the morale of his men.

"Don't worry men, Haelyn is with us!  By fighting now, with courage and skill, we shall earn our place at Haelyn's side in the afterlife!  Do not despair, for Haelyn is with is.  These minions of the shadow can not defeat us, for our spirits are stronger then the steel we wear about our bodies.  They can not kill us, for Haelyn isn't done with us yet.  Push on men, push on!"

Guy swings his axe viciously against the shield in front him.  Once, Twice, Three times he strikes the shield, hard.  The Orog, believe itself to have found a foe content to futily batter its shield puts its weight on its back leg and takes a second to breath.  Guy takes that opportunity to squat low, thrusting the tip of his axe into the back leg of the Orog.  It cries out and crumples as Guy steps onto its place.  Now flanked from either side, and with a fresh Orog in front of him, and an injured one at his feet, Guy tries to advance again, to provide flanking to men on the front line, but will the be able to advance as he had, or is this a futile gesture.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 25, 2009, 04:57:53 pm
Guy takes a moment to fight behind his shield as he tries to boost the morale of his men.

"Don't worry men, Haelyn is with us!  By fighting now, with courage and skill, we shall earn our place at Haelyn's side in the afterlife!  Do not despair, for Haelyn is with is.  These minions of the shadow can not defeat us, for our spirits are stronger then the steel we wear about our bodies.  They can not kill us, for Haelyn isn't done with us yet.  Push on men, push on!"

Guy swings his axe viciously against the shield in front him.  Once, Twice, Three times he strikes the shield, hard.  The Orog, believe itself to have found a foe content to futily batter its shield puts its weight on its back leg and takes a second to breath.  Guy takes that opportunity to squat low, thrusting the tip of his axe into the back leg of the Orog.  It cries out and crumples as Guy steps onto its place.  Now flanked from either side, and with a fresh Orog in front of him, and an injured one at his feet, Guy tries to advance again, to provide flanking to men on the front line, but will the be able to advance as he had, or is this a futile gesture.

Guy is stabbed repeatedly by orogs spears, tripped, almost dragged onto the waiting daggers of waiting orogs, but barely manages to break free. He taks two crossbow bolts in the back as he scrambles away, but they fail to do more than cause superficial wounds. Its hopeless.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 25, 2009, 08:56:00 pm
Guy suddenly sees the old crone, standing alone to one side of the cave; she's smiling at him.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 25, 2009, 09:03:43 pm
Guy quickly drinks his last healing potion before calling out to the hag "What are you doing here?"
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 26, 2009, 02:52:09 am

As the outriders keeps a strong guard with the Duchess at the bloody field before the cave entrance the rest of the outriders search the surrounding land carefully. Every one of the pits is thoroughly checked. Every stone is turned and every bush parted to find any sign of a second entrance to the cave…..

The remaining knights of Tuornen, Tuare, KoH and the MOC are sett to try to remove the rockslide covering the cave mouth.   
First the knights have high hopes to quickly remove the rubble, but they soon find that the rockslide was more extensive the first imagined. And hope lift again as a clearing is made high under the cave ceiling the knight take as moments to listen for sounds….. 


Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 26, 2009, 08:11:39 am
Guy quickly drinks his last healing potion before calling out to the hag "What are you doing here?"

She laughs little, then turn to face the tunnel where the orogs are waiting. She opens her mouth, and a thick, hideous mist ours forth, racing down the tunnel to embrace the orogs. There are hideous screams and then there is silence. You could not help but be distracted - the crone is gone again.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 26, 2009, 08:12:23 am

As the outriders keeps a strong guard with the Duchess at the bloody field before the cave entrance the rest of the outriders search the surrounding land carefully. Every one of the pits is thoroughly checked. Every stone is turned and every bush parted to find any sign of a second entrance to the cave…..

The remaining knights of Tuornen, Tuare, KoH and the MOC are sett to try to remove the rockslide covering the cave mouth.   
First the knights have high hopes to quickly remove the rubble, but they soon find that the rockslide was more extensive the first imagined. And hope lift again as a clearing is made high under the cave ceiling the knight take as moments to listen for sounds…..

There is no way in. Clearing the rocks would take days, if not more. But you've taken control of the surface, and there are no more attacks.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 26, 2009, 10:29:23 am
The Duchess mounts up with the knights to join in the search for a back-door or other hiden way into the cave.
 "Do We have any prisoners?"
There is the tone of winters cold steel in Her voice....
Title: In the Cave
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 26, 2009, 11:01:30 am
"I hesitate to call the hag's actions the blessings of Haelyn, but look at the results.  Praise Haelyn, we're going to get out of here yet!"

Guy leads the men over the bodies of the Orogs through the winding passages.  He sees a light ahead.

"Look there, that could be our way out, onward men, onward!"

The men rush forward, hoping that ahead is an exit to this mountain of death.  As they get closer they see...........

Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 26, 2009, 11:20:40 am
The Duchess mounts up with the knights to join in the search for a back-door or other hiden way into the cave.
 "Do We have any prisoners?"
There is the tone of winters cold steel in Her voice....

There are probably a few severely injured orogs to be had; but they are notoriously difficult to get anything out of.
Title: Re: In the Cave
Post by: DM B on March 26, 2009, 11:23:04 am
"I hesitate to call the hag's actions the blessings of Haelyn, but look at the results.  Praise Haelyn, we're going to get out of here yet!"

Guy leads the men over the bodies of the Orogs through the winding passages.  He sees a light ahead.

"Look there, that could be our way out, onward men, onward!"

The men rush forward, hoping that ahead is an exit to this mountain of death.  As they get closer they see...........

The men, save Braedonnal, looks completely confused, but follow your lead. Twenty orog warriors lie dead in the tunnel, chocked and burned by the hag's magic. You press on, initially unsure as to what direction to take through the tunnels, but Braedonnal's keen senses soon leads to a camouflaged exit below a high cliff overlooking a swift stream. You are outside!

In the distance you hear outriders chasing down orogs
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 27, 2009, 12:07:28 pm
The Knights gather their dead, and perform the appropriate rituals, aiding in that act for the other factions if necessary.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: DM B on March 27, 2009, 12:14:17 pm
You are eventually reunited with the Duchess and her force; although there are still groups of orogs loose above and below ground, their power in the province has been broken for the foreseeable future. A strong local garrison and/or periodic patrols should the keep the situation that way - indefinitely.

The guild(s) can now start looking gold in earnest.

Feel free to continue talking, but the main part of the adventure has ended.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe) on March 27, 2009, 04:01:15 pm
Your Grace,

There is considerable lawlessness in Tuoren.  I'm glad I was able to help you put these Orogs down.  I must return to Endier now.  I'll leave a couple of Knights here to oversee the training.
Title: Re: Below the high mountains.
Post by: X-Tuornen/LF (Geir) on March 29, 2009, 06:25:21 am
The Duchess gathers the forces and assign tasks to secure the land and chase down the orogs.

As soon as Tuar is back in command the Duchess formally welcomes the General and publicly state her priorities to him.
"Our General must Secure Our lands, and see to the Decimation of any orog chiefs,
and their magicians and clergy.

It is Our will that all the lands of Tuornen are brought under the control of law,
justices and good. All for the prosperity, and freedom of the nobility and people of Turonene."