Author Topic: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...  (Read 31086 times)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »
”Let us not speak more about the latest killing of a vampire. Done is done and cannot be changed. Perhaps if I was to understand better the struggle against the Grey Duke your family has been fighting for generations I would have done as did Your Grace. Should we both survive Your Grace will find me a good listener and the full story I could hear.”

“Now why not do as suggested by Maester Khaleiman and bring the army or some of it down the valley? What are we to do if we meet an army of the Shadow on the other side?”
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
"If we bring an army, we will be located and confronted."

"If we do not, we can use stealth to sneak in and perhaps our number of foes will remain manageable, as the army will remain visible and openly challenge our enemy to focus there."

"I do not have the answers, but I believe we should be very cautious in our next part of the journey. Perhaps we should bring the most experienced scouts, but when we enter the lair itself, I truly believe their minds will be too weak to resist the call of the dark, or more mundanely, the claws and fangs of same."

"What say the rest of you? - Should we bring a unit or two until we are closer? - Or should we take our leave now, and cast our dice in the hands of the Gods?" Rashid turns to the other nobles for a reply.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
There is no ready answer here - opinions differ. Some think is suicide not to take the army with you, others think the opposite. Given the nature of the valley it will be impossible to bring the entire army. A few units. Five at most. And no horses.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »

IC:

Elamien, who has been sitting near Rashid, stands and addresses the assemblage:  "In this matter, I tend to agree with Maester Kaleiman and the high holy Pontiff of the Conclave of Temples.  For does the enemy not know already that we are drawing near? . . . But I am certainly no military expert; and my opinion is perhaps to be disregarded, for this reason.

"I do, however, know a thing or two about transactions.  And, as happy as we should, all, be, in an Aebrynis of mutual trust and goodwill, the reality is that information conveyed between domains of differing philosophies is not always viewed as the absolute truth . . . a reality, which is further complicated by the fact, that significant communication between such domains is practically impossible, on certain levels.  However, when communication becomes transaction, then the impossible and the doubtful can become the possible and the true, respectively."

She stops speaking at this point, although it appears that she may wish to add some thing more, in this vein; then continues, "Well, I suppose that there are more important topics to discuss, at the moment; and I shall therefore yield to others, at this time."

And she returns to her seated position.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
Marshal Balter speaks.

"It seems likely from the statement of Baron Bellamie that hundreds of men in the service of Baron Tashalen were turned - turned without ever entering the Shadow World most like, for what else would send men of Osoerde to pillage and burn their own certain to face the wrath of their ArchDuke?""

"We stand here now ready to enter not merely the Shadow World, but to enter the very heart of darkness where our foe waits prepared - with access to realm magic of might of power as proven when last troops of Anuire were sent after him - and of all those who entered only the greatest of heroes escaped unscathed."

"In the waking world our troops will - aside from those fortified by magic - be at a disadvantage, as seen by the attacks of recent nights and the experience of the north against the Eyeless One when the demons of the shadow world raged amongst our ranks without hindrance until the intervention of the Iron King.  In the Shadow World however troops are at far greater disadvantage, and everyone who falls is likely to rise as enemy, I can tell you now that only the most disciplined troops will not collapse at the sight of their brothers rising to seek their blood."

"I suggest then the following, a division of our force into not two but three."

"The bulk of the troops remain in the waking world and scour these hills of all shadow.  These should be led by the Swordmage and Pontiff, to defend the army, scour the hills of shadow, and stand against the Grey Duke should he win free of his tomb - for who other than the Pontiff could rally the men should all others fall and the Swordmage already stands as general."

"A second much smaller force made of only the most disciplined of troops armed with magic, fire, or silver.  If troops await within the valley then the smaller force will delay or divert it whilst the heroes pass by and penetrate fully into the Shadow World, if none then the smaller force will simply scout briefly and leave without hopefully ever entering the Shadow World.  Another easily identifiable lord of the light should guide the smaller force that it can appear as our true attack force if required - perhaps the High Hierophant, along with decoys of those who would obviously be part of any assault on the Shadow World such as the Patriarch.

The third is the true expression of our purpose.  A small band of heroes who will, hopefully pass without notice while our enemy looks at the greater numbers or is distracted by the small force of troops.

I mean no disrespect to any of these worthies, but they are all known, feared, and thus watched by our enemy - if I could persuade the Patriarch to remain I would do so for I truly believe that the Grey Duke will watch him more than any other.

While the others confer, the Marshal briefly speaks quietly to the Pontiff.  "Your holiness, Elenie has warned its neighbours often of the Shadow over the past two years , my apologies if you were not kept as informed as you should have been.  The theft of the Book of Law was however utterly unexpected by the east, and much ado has been done about determining his purpose in the brief time since it was taken which is why this warning comes so urgently."

"This also I note, the servants of the Grey Duke are creatures of chaos, to detect such foes Elenie has been stricter than ever regarding the rule of law, and none have taken the burden more severely than the Patriarch and High Hierophant, who have both had predecessors turned to Shadow and so must follow the law absolutely to prove themselves daily to their people.  This rigid pursuance of law has uncovered many spies of Shadow, bitter though its fruits have been to those of good heart who find themselves constrained where in happier times their good intent would have overcome petty regulations.  Haelyn judges all in time, likely he will render his verdict on us all in the next few days and praise you for forbearance and humility in this holy cause as he frowns upon those who have sought personal gain or to defend mere pride.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2010, 10:46:57 PM »

IC:

Without rising, Elamien states, "The Pontiff should entre the Shadow World, with as many of his servants as he wishes.  Without him, we are weak. . . . That is my sincere belief."

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
In the conference Baronetess Tilgentor tells that though the men from Ilien are not veteran soldiers they have all been blessed with protection from shadow. And though she would rather have her soldiers stay in this realm they will enter the shadow if so ordered. She also confer that she will aid in whatever way is deemed most needed by RiD.
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
Gaerred nods acknowledgment to Marshal Balter and Guildmaster Lamier before looking to the Patriarch.

"Follow as your heart and mind reason and whatever the consequence, you shall not be left to stand alone," he says.

He goes on to suggest that if a force is to be taken into the valley, then Baron Bellamie, the Swordmage/Auxiliary Patriarch Tanar, and the Pontiff, should choose the most capable men amongst their contingents (OOC: Each selects 1 unit and the accompanying entourage), and that the Patriarch shall select the remaining men.  He also suggests that Armsmen and dismounted Knights might serve best, though a unit of archers may be useful.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
(this is a key decision that will potentially have a great impact on the rest of the adventure; if no more input is coming I will assume that only a few brave heroes go forth, leaving the army to secure the surrounding area)
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
Main group
Maester Kaleiman, Evoker
Patriarch Rashid, Noble/Paladin
General Rashida, Paladin
Baron Tristan Bellamie
Marshal Edwin Balter, Cleric
Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, Cleric
Lannelah Lachlan, Sidhe superhero
High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén, Cleric
Aux. Pat. Drago Tanar, violent killer

Supporting Cast (To go with the adventurers)
3 Cleric/Paladins of Rashid's Bodyguard, min level 6 (With their average level of 5, the strongest three can be lvl 6)
A few, max 10 other NPC's, minimum lvl 6 (IHH may fill these ranks if it is to their satisfaction)

Supporting Units (Decoy Expeditionary Force - To be left when the adventurers make their final move)
1 Unit of Hellhounds, as summoned they are both magical and disappear when slain
1 Unit of Crack Armsmen, IHH
1 Unit of Crack Knights, South Hold
1 Unit of Veteran Scouts, Elinie
1 Unit of Archers, Tornilen
1 Unit of Irregulars, Ilien

Main Army, (Take control of area and set up a defensive position)
The rest of the units
Swordmage - Acting general (But she is offered to join the smaller force, does she agree?)
Remaining heroes
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:04:39 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
With a small nod Wallac replies to the Patriarchs suggestion.

"Patriarch I have grown wiser and thus I am satified with the choices Your Grace have made. The Archbishop, my personal assistant and my bodyguard will accompany the remaining units of IHH and stay in the Daylight World. For the sake of chain of command you may even want to have units for fewer domains. IHH are willing both to give up having a unit among the forward units, to fill up with all of our 4 units present or as allready suggested 1 units of armsmen. Both dont compromise chain of command because I was uncooperative or to satisfy diplomatic needs. Regardless let it be as Your Grace wish."

[OoC: Archbishop of Roesone Saraen Bellamie, Wallacs personal Assistant Rogal Destar & his 20 bodyguards all stay with the mainbody of the army (daylight world); Bellamie is commander for one of the units of Armsmen and thus it will be the other that go with the adventures. Should the Patriarch decide to send 4 IHH units the IHH AA's will follow those units.]

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:14:24 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
Having remained largely silent, the Swordmage finally steps forward and adds her voice before action is taken.

"Let us not fool ourselves. Manethander no doubt knows we are here and no doubt is making preperations right at this moment. Our best hope is that he does not know that the Patriarch can find his way through the Shadow Realm to him, but he might know... in which case this Valley is the entrance to a deadly trap."

"I think the division suggested by the Patriarch will suffice. The Supporting Units will go along with the Main Group, into the valley and possibly into the Shadow Realm. They will either delay the enemy, provide a distraction or guard your back. Meanwhile I will take the rest of the army and look for a good defensive position near here, one where I can make sure you have a way back to Elinie. We will keep searching for the enemy, if the opportunity represents itself we might engage them... though our primary task is to hold fast, not to exhaust ourselves hunting the enemy."

She hestitates, then shrugs. "Let us see what happens. I wish you the best of luck. That is all."

Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »
The Swordmage makes a few executive decision regarding the expedition forces, it will consist of the following, to be place under command of the heroes going with them... Bellamie has the ultimate command of those, to hand it off to anyone he likes. The Knights will of course be dismounted, but they still make excellent armsmen. Most of them have good experience fighting on foot.

The decoy/expeditionary force, under Bellamie's command, followed by the Pontiff and then the Patriarch:
1 Scouts (Veteran) - Elinie
1 Armsmen, dismounted (Crack) - IHH +2 weapons, Aid the Righteous, Vestment of the Gods
1 Knights (Elite), dismounted  - Roesone +2 weapons
1 Irregulars (?) - Ilien
1 Archers (Veteran) - Tornilen

That's five units. No room for that sixth unit of hellhounds and the swordmage is not certain how hard it would be for Manethander to take control over them, once they enter the shadow realm.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
Main group
Maester Kaleiman, Evoker
Patriarch Rashid, Noble/Paladin
General Rashida, Paladin
Baron Tristan Bellamie
Marshal Edwin Balter, Cleric
Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, Cleric
Lannelah Lachlan, Sidhe superhero
High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén, Cleric
Aux. Pat. Drago Tanar, violent killer
Guildmaster Elamien Lamier, Baronetess

Supporting Cast (To go with the adventurers)
3 Cleric/Paladins of Rashid's Bodyguard, min level 6 (With their average level of 5, the strongest three can be lvl 6)
A few, max 10 other NPC's, minimum lvl 6 (IHH may fill these ranks if it is to their satisfaction)

Supporting Units (Decoy Expeditionary Force - To be left when the adventurers make their final move)
The decoy/expeditionary force, under Bellamie's command, followed by the Pontiff and then the Patriarch:
1 Scouts (Veteran) - Elinie
1 Armsmen, dismounted (Crack) - IHH +2 weapons, Aid the Righteous, Vestment of the Gods
1 Dragoons, dismounted (Crack) - IHH +2 weapons, Aid the Righteous, Vestment of the Gods
1 Archers (Veteran) - Tornilen

Main Army, (Take control of area and set up a defensive position)
The rest of the units
Swordmage - Acting general
Remaining heroes

The Patriarch updates the plan with the latest decisions and declare. "Let it be so. May Avanalae and Haelyn lend us wisdom and strength to persevere."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:37:10 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
Somewhat later.

Part of the army has descended, part of it IS descending. It looks like they will make it before it becomes dark.

Rashid stands upon the bands of the stream. He has been here before. He remembers the cool waters and the strong current...cold and strong enough to carry a man to the other side...and to steal from him his memories. Yes. It finally makes sense. This was where you crossed over. And this was where your memories were stolen. Or most of them anyway; you suspect that your divine blood of Basaïa protected you. Lesser men would be more vulnerable.

DM Bjørn