Author Topic: Updated Map for RoE III  (Read 10850 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Updated Map for RoE III
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
Food for thought; there is seldom any rhyme and reason between various sourcebooks. The main Rjurik book has ONE road detailed. But once you get to the Stjordvik book there are roads all over the place. IMO they are two very different things; the main road is a real Structure, whereas the minor roads are just fluff that's already part of the province levels. Same would apply for Talinie.

Once you depart from this concept you might as well call roads in every province. Which there almost certainly are - just not good enough to warrant SPECIAL MENTION.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Relatedly; my Roads/features map was trying to show a combination of left-over old Imperial highways (in bad repair for the most part) and major axes of travel and trade. Added on top of the organic roads rules it provided a simple and consistent framework for movement.

The white lines are 'impassable' only for major armies, not necessarily for groups or smaller warbands.
DM Bjørn

Offline Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde)

• **-Thuriene Donalls-** Bearer of the Rose Scepter.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
Food for thought; there is seldom any rhyme and reason between various sourcebooks. The main Rjurik book has ONE road detailed. But once you get to the Stjordvik book there are roads all over the place. IMO they are two very different things; the main road is a real Structure, whereas the minor roads are just fluff that's already part of the province levels. Same would apply for Talinie.

Once you depart from this concept you might as well call roads in every province. Which there almost certainly are - just not good enough to warrant SPECIAL MENTION.

By that logic none of the roads in Talinie warrant special mention, not even the roads currently on the map, and especially not the brown road.

Relatedly; my Roads/features map was trying to show a combination of left-over old Imperial highways (in bad repair for the most part) and major axes of travel and trade. Added on top of the organic roads rules it provided a simple and consistent framework for movement.

The white lines are 'impassable' only for major armies, not necessarily for groups or smaller warbands.
By that logic most of Talinie could be covered in roads that warrant mention as most of its provinces contain old imperial roads only suitable for troop movement.

I basically don't care if the roads are added or not, as long as roads are consistently added or omitted from the roads map.

In RoE3 the provinces in Talinie affected by the roads on the map are all primary plains provinces. As far as I read the rules, that make movement cost the same as movement without a road... Am I right?

I am also confused by the bridges added to Bob's map. Who maintain them?
As far as I could see on Bjørns original map, none of the major rivers were bridged.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.
Supreme Hierarch of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.
They will thrive, grow and be the most beautiful flowers in the garden of man."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »
White Bridges of Moere + one between Brosengae and Taeghas. Those were to only 2 survivors.

Common roads should only go onto local maps, not the big region ones. Common roads are part of the province level. The only roads that go on the region maps are those built as structures in very low-level provinces (rare) or true highways (also rare).
DM Bjørn

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »
OK Linde, I made all the roads on Bjorn's maps "highways" based on Brandon's information that the ones on the map are the remains of the old Imperial highway, and the other roads I found on various published maps, both official and unofficial. The only change to the roads from those two sources I made was to delete the roads in my domain. So the present road map has been approved by the only active DM (Andy)

As for the terrain for the islands (which Andy requested I put in), well I have not put any in because I have not received any RoE3 valid info from any of the DMs. I personally think all three of them should be "woods" at the very least, but so far the only feedback I have received from a DM is that they were good without any terrain.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »
I should make it clear that I am not adding these islands on a whim, I have been working with Andy to get things right (personally I majorly dislike the lay-out of Bjorn's ROE 2 southern coast, but I am but the map maker, not the world maker), so if you disagree with something on the map, take it up with Bjorn, Matt, and/or Andy (as appropriate), not me - I just do as I am told.

I'm just the piano player.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:40:04 AM by Thurazor Regained/OM (RP) »
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

Offline Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde)

• **-Thuriene Donalls-** Bearer of the Rose Scepter.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:26 AM »
I should make it clear that I am not adding these islands on a whim, I have been working with Andy to get things right (personally I majorly dislike the lay-out of Bjorn's ROE 2 southern coast, but I am but the map maker, not the world maker), so if you disagree with something on the map, take it up with Bjorn, Matt, and/or Andy (as appropriate), not me - I just do as I am told.

I personally like that there are more larger islands off the coast of Talinie, so you won't hear me complain. As for terrain: I doubt it will be relevant anytime soon as monsters likely roam them. I just tried to come with input.

I have a good relationship with Boer, so I wouldn't mind him having a bridge to Talinie. I can basically live with all the stuff on the map. Keeping in mind that I might let the highways decay as I gain nothing from having them, except added expenses.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.
Supreme Hierarch of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.
They will thrive, grow and be the most beautiful flowers in the garden of man."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

The South Coast? You're probably referring to the Maesil valley and the south-west coast, no?

That's very much RoE-specific and doesn't need to carry over in any other BR-game.
DM Bjørn

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
Yeah, the south-west coast, it's too smooth for my tastes, I'm a member of the Slatribartfast school of world design. :)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
Based off a hand-drawn sketch. The current digital versions has lots of fjords, islands etc.
DM Bjørn

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Sounds cool! Please send me a copy so I can integrate it into my map.

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
Hmm, islands.

The Talinie map (posted by Linde) suggests that Colonsay is woods - or possibly forest given that it is mostly uninhabited (except by a giant).

The Vulkan Islands are 1 volcano (several centuries since the last major eruption, so low mountains/light woods) and 3 islands that are a mix of woods and plains - they've been lightly settled for a while.  As you move further out into the Tael Firth they go from hills to almost sunken but surrounded by a fair amount of cold-water corals and at the far end a large inland lagoon.  The seas around the vulkan isles are very fertile due to the amount of volcanic road eroding into the water, if they were defensible they would probably have become a fairly robust realm.

Stjordvik's PS makes a thing of the roads being carefully designed to allow rapid troop movement, etc indicating "proper" roads - if I was writing the PS I'd probably remove them as they don't fit well, but having radically altered the great oak wall from canon I feel a little reluctant to remove the roads as well.

The lack of roads in Anuire is a map oddity btw - I can't remember where but am sure that Rich Baker mentioned it in an interview as an inconsistency between maps (the brecht and vos maps don't show roads either).
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »
OK, so do I make the Barrier Islands forest or woods?

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »
I'm trying to remember which island is which.  From recollection the order as they go out of the Tael Firth is:

Vulkan - med mount - volcanic - some life around the edge but mainly barren rock/lava flow.

Sangerens - forest/med mount - should be the next one out I think, quite lush although the forest is fairly "young" by Rjurik standards.

Fisk - hills/low mount - much of the woodland has been harvested so its clearer - it would be plains if it was flatter.

Stor - hills/woods.
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »
As you described them to me they are as follows:
The islands are Stor Isle (Big Island), Fisk Isle (Fish Island), Sangeren's Isle (Singer's Isle) and Vulkan Island (Active volcano).

The islands are like the Galapagos or Hawaii - all volcani, created as the fissure beneath shifted over time.

I envisaged Stor Isle as two volcanic cones that had worn down to mounds and merged together making a kind-of oval-kind of figure 8 island, it is well forested.

Fisk Isle was a nice volanic isle until is had a bad day, and it is now a cresent sort of shape - one side of the volcano crater is gone basically allowing water in, there is a lot of shallow water and islets around indicating that the land has shrunk.

Sangeran is still quite rocky, with a lot of jagged rocks in its waters (giving it its name from the sound of the breakers).  The mound has mostly collapsed so its more of a mound than a would-be mountain.

Vulkan Island is a very new, very rocky island that's a near perfect Volcanic cone surrounded by some lava fans.  It is quite inhospitable.
So made them an arc, starting with Fisk in the west, then Stor, then Sangeran to the south and Vulkan closest to the mainland.

And I have made the barrier Islands off Talinie "woods".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:13:41 AM by Thurazor Regained/OM (RP) »