Author Topic: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 43106 times)

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
The Governor's eyebrow raises,

"The Red Wind in Ilien?  If we do make it out of here I would like to know more about that..."

"If we stay here to long we risk being boxed in and unable to leave.  A brief rest will do us good, but we shouldn't become to comfortable.  If we can peek through the Obelisk we should do so - but I doubt we could outrun hundreds of Gnolls through the forests if they are still about the Obelisk.

They are mongrels and barbaric, but they are also creatures of the wilderness and more apt at moving through it quickly than heavily armed soldiers.  If they are still about, the south might be our best option."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
"Dont forget we have mighty users of magic. If we are hidden by illusions as we leave through the Obelisk we may even get away without being noticed or at least getting a headstart when making the run for it"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2009, 05:29:24 PM »
The DM recaps:

Staying in the village is safe. Staying long in the village will mean the spirits are ready in force when/if you decide to leave. Of course, resting would be VERY good at this point...as would taking some supplies from the village if you're going to be traveling for a while.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:47 PM »
Having done all that she could for others, Maire tries to get some rest and consolation herself. She goes to the sea and Masela's temple trying to commune with sea and draw an inspiration from it as she is used to do. To calm her mind and clear it from anger and frustration like the sea calms and sky above it clears after storm. Maybe if she clears her mind she will be able to come up with a solution to this mess. Or will even sea answer the call of Masela's blood in Maire's veins?

Something happens all right. But not what you had...expected, if you had any expectations at all.

First one appears. Then one more. Then a few more at a time. Faster and faster. What say you? The bloated corpses of lost Masetian sailors...hundreds, nay thousands, slowly drifting to the surface, chocking the beach and the ocean beyond. It is an eerie sight to say the least. Nothing works the way it is supposed to here, and all that you do turn into something dark and distorted.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »
The Governor turns a shade pale and looks like he might vomit but says nothing.

Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
Something happens all right. But not what you had...expected, if you had any expectations at all.

First one appears. Then one more. Then a few more at a time. Faster and faster. What say you? The bloated corpses of lost Masetian sailors...hundreds, nay thousands, slowly drifting to the surface, chocking the beach and the ocean beyond. It is an eerie sight to say the least. Nothing works the way it is supposed to here, and all that you do turn into something dark and distorted.

Maire pales too but nonetheles tries to pick up her wits and concentrate. And then calls for great leader among the Masetians. (OOC: When everything turns into something dark and distorted then it is time to get dark and distorted oneself)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »
The Governor reaches for Marie quickly attempting to cover her mouth and stifle her call.

"Are you Insane!!!" He whispers sharply, as if he is afraid he might wake the dead - literally.  "I have been accused of a number of dark deeds in my days, and had a number of unkind words addressed as to my character - and even I know this sort of thing should not be done!"

• Sovereign
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
“Dear Maire what have you done?”

Acknowledging the sound reaction from the Governor Wallac instruct the men to break up, gather what provisions can be found and head out of the village.

“If Sarae thinks she can peek through the Obelisk without being spotted from the other side we head for the Obelisk. If not I suggest we travel south”
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
"If we can peek through the Obelisk sending scouts through it would be a mistake as they risk warn about our coming. I suspect someone had warded the Obelisk and that ward set off by the stone thrown at it by the Governor. If someone has warded the Obelisk I think approaching it, even here in the Shadow World should best be done under the cover of powerful illusions hiding our presence - and even more so when we, or should I say if, we return to the Daylight World through the Obelisk."

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
The Governor reaches for Marie quickly attempting to cover her mouth and stifle her call.

"Are you Insane!!!" He whispers sharply, as if he is afraid he might wake the dead - literally.  "I have been accused of a number of dark deeds in my days, and had a number of unkind words addressed as to my character - and even I know this sort of thing should not be done!"

Maire turns to governor with a blank expression in her face. "Don't you remember who destroyed gnolls south of Mieres? Ghosts! Ghosts of 13th legion. Believe me governor, I know well what I have to do. Anyway thank you for interrupting me. There is even better way than I knew first. Now leave me alone."

Then she turns back to the sea and cries loudly "Do you remember how it was when you died? When water filled your lungs? When you knew for sure you are going to die? Do you remember the pain when soul ripped from your body? I know you do. You remember it very well. Dont hold it! Let it all go out of you now. That is why you get here! Free yourself prom pain and release it!"

Then as aura of suffering emanating from dead Masetians grow stronger and weakens the Veil, Maire strives to find a proper place where she can lead the party trough her own Ward back to the world of living.

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »
The Governor backs off without a word, the priestess knowing more about the dead and what she is doing than he, his eyes however never leave the floating sea of the dead.

He whispers to Oeberon, "Get the men ready to run... I've got a bad feeling about this."

• Sovereign
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
“Dear Maire what have you done?”

Acknowledging the sound reaction from the Governor Wallac instruct the men to break up, gather what provisions can be found and head out of the village.

“If Sarae thinks she can peek through the Obelisk without being spotted from the other side we head for the Obelisk. If not I suggest we travel south”

While the Governor tried to make Maire change her mind Wallac prepared to set out and as Captain Oberon come to prepare for a quick departure he find all ready to go though the people from ETN look for where their High Priestess is, clearly not going to leave without her.

“Captain Oberon no need to run, the men are already fully prepared to leave. We just wait for the Governor and the High Priestess”

Little do Wallac know that Maire has gone even further than before and is now actively trying to use the dead sailors
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:39:25 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
To those that know the story of the 13th legion - that was different. They abandoned their posts in life, and were cursed not to find rest by a dying Emperor. They found salvation in dealing with another gnoll army, earning them their rest.

What Maire is doing is just plain wrong...calling upon the dead to serve her. Perhaps old Pontiff Aurlien was right, and she has been consorting with dark powers? Be that as it may...Maire calls, and the dead rise to the occasion...literally speaking.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »
Now, if this is to have any effect, you need to let the undead pass you by, otherwise you'll just be wedged between the dead and the embodiment of malice (a variant of the rock and the hard place, only much worse). Yes, they may leave Maire in peace, but the rest of you...you're fair game!

The only pace that does come to mind is the Masela temple - it might still be hallowed ground to these monsters.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
[OoC: The party is ready for departure - provisions gathered. All they need is realizing what is happening]

Wallac soon realizes he is waiting for the High Priest in vain
"The dead sailors are rising. Pick up your stuff and run to the temple now!"

Quickly for such a large group of men the party run to the temple; the discipline once again save the day. Upon reaching it the men start barricading all openings including all but a few tiny holes to peek through well above ground
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:07:31 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »