Author Topic: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 44604 times)

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »
The Governor shakes his head.

"The Obelisk is one possibility but we have no idea what lies on the other side.  You are the only one who seems to know what uses it can be put to.  I would ask again whether it is only a door or if it can be used as a window as well.  Can we see what is on the other side before we pass through?

Also, how tied is the Obelisk to its mirror self here?  If we were to trigger a storm like before here - would it set off in our world? If there are but a few gnolls around it, this may give us the surprise needed to run through quickly and escape.

If not we can we can do little at this point but head south into the wastelands I would think."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
”The Governor yet again astonishes me with his pose as a brute soldier yet commanding the insight of the subtle differences between the different applications of magic. Come to think of it the will to succeed is perhaps what makes you stand out from the stock of many a noble. Baron Arron Vaumel making your acquaintance has made the quest with all its hardship worthwhile.”
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:41:03 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »
"I believe the Obelisk does not necessarily explode simultaneously in the Shadow World and the Daylight World. High Priestess Sarae Somellin has already showed extraordinary skill in manipulating the Obelisk.”

Turning inquiringly to Sarae he looks her in the eyes.

“High Priestess can you do as Baron Arron Vaumel ask?”

Addressing High Priestess Maire

“And can Your Holiness help her in doing so; help her bypass the Shadow Ward made by your Temple?”

"Shauna and Lachlan when we erupt through the Obelisk can you make our first appearance in the Daylight World invissible or at least masked by illusions? Come to think of it also ward us from any scrying done as we approach the Obelisk in the Shadow World?"

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:51:48 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2009, 04:06:25 PM »
"Nice speeches and plans. But perhaps we should allow few days of rest before we drive ourselves and others into yet another mortal peril."

Slight hint of disgustion is in Maire's face as she turns from the discussion and goes to tend to battered and exhausted people.

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
Addressing High Priestess Maire

“And can Your Holiness help her in doing so; help her bypass the Shadow Ward made by your Temple?”

"We have seen that the Shadow Ward has no effect on Obelisk."

• Sovereign
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
"Excuse me Your Holiness but what we have seen is the Shadow Ward did not hinder the Obelisk to open the way to the Shadow World - we know not how much it took to overcome said ward. What we want Sarae to do it not just to open the way but also give us a glimpse of the surroundings around the Obelisk but in the Daylight World, make it go boom and then open a gate. This would be no simple feat and everything that would lighten the burden can be used. At least that is how I perceive it"

Looking to Lachlan Wallac continues

"regarding taking a few days rest I warn against it. I concur we escaped the beast but only for know. They may be hunting us as we speak and speed may be essential to our survival. Those where the scouts - we don't, I repeat, we don't want to meet the army"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:18:01 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
"Dear Maire, your thoughts are good and beautiful but I think if we spent any more time here we're going to risk to increase dramatically th number of dead and wounded

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »
The Governor smiles at Wallac's complement,

"Thank you, your Holiness, I would say the same of you.  Let us just hope that we can say it a few days from now- eh?"

Looking after Maire as she leaves he sighs,

"She's not wrong that the men can use some brief rest.  But we need to keep them moving towards some definite goal.  If we don't at the very least seem to have a plan for getting out of here, and end to focus their thoughts on, despair will take them right quick. 

If we could but get a message to those in Serien Kirr and Vandross are there with the bulk of my forces and I'm sure the Baron could send some troops to meet us as we escape - if this is even a plausible solution."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

• Sovereign
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Speaking softly Lachlan address the gathered regents:

“Resting but for a short while put us all in danger. Please don’t underestimate our adversaries. Once spotted by those beast one need to find a safe haven or face destruction. They found us and while we did kill most of these scouts some escaped. Take heed of this warning and make great haste to the Obelisk; taking the long trail south will mean they catch up on us as they don’t need rest or sleep. Either we find a way to cross the sea, and we need to be real quick which is problematic seeing there are no boats, or we make the best use of the Obelisk as we can.”

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
Sarae knows that the shards of obsidian were not her doing; the Governor did something to trigger a spell someone had emplaced upon it. That much should be obvious. She can't duplicate that.

Sarae can most likely open the gateway once more and possibly even peer out; she doesn't know. She has never tried it before.

If, and that is a big if, you can surprise the gnolls (assuming there are any guarding the Obelisk) you might be able to break through. And perhaps you might escape and survive. Perhaps. It is a long shot, but it is POSSIBLE.

Shauna also has one interesting piece of information; the spirits won't leave the forests of Mieres. So should you go south, you would be safe from them.

As for a ship...that is a big unknown. Perhaps the strange visitors will return, perhaps not. And what does the SW sea hold of dangers? Even Marie does not know.

What Maire does know, is that as long as you remain in the village you have refuge. The spirits will not come here. But that doesn't prevent them from gathering outside...so the longer you linger, the more dangerous it will be to leave.

Morale is recovering - the Governor and the Pontiff has seen to that.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
Having done all that she could for others, Maire tries to get some rest and consolation herself. She goes to the sea and Masela's temple trying to commune with sea and draw an inspiration from it as she is used to do. To calm her mind and clear it from anger and frustration like the sea calms and sky above it clears after storm. Maybe if she clears her mind she will be able to come up with a solution to this mess. Or will even sea answer the call of Masela's blood in Maire's veins?

• Sovereign
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »
"Hmm intriguing thing you told there Shauna. Combined with Maire's most convincingly statement that the village is a safe refuge that makes for some other options"

• Sovereign
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
I suggest we rest in the village for a while and return through the Obelisk unless Maire's seaward meditation has rendered her divine insight

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
I'm also for reach the Obelisk

• Sovereign
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »
In the part of the Shadow World corresponding to Ilien the sea held some gruesome beast preying on those unfortunate souls that came near them. I saw a party of the Red Wind, 100 or so strong and with at least three sorcerers being attacked from beneath the waves. They even had boats. During the attack of the beasts attack they saw my party on the beach and fighting came about. At least 40 of them disappeared under the waves and only a score or so escaped, including one of the sorcerers.
Personally I must confess I much prefer going through the Obelisk even if facing the Gnolls than the unknown of the sea.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:19:09 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »