Author Topic: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 39528 times)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
A temple of Masela you said? The the dead goddess of the sea? Maire how do you suggest we proceed here? I mean can we simply waltz in or is there some strictures or dogmas you know of we would break by simply walking in?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:11:39 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »
A temple of Masela you said? The the dead goddess of the sea? Maire how do you suggest we proceed here? I mean can we simply waltz in or is there some strictures or dogmas you know of we would break by simply walking in?

"I don't know about any obstacle in dogma of Nesirie's ancestor, but the inhabitants might find it offensive if they return and find us sniffing around in the temple. I suggest we make a camp somewhere near the village and wait if they come back."

• Sovereign
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »
I am not sure they will ever return - this might just be the memory of a real place but lets make camp and wait a little while we scout the immediate surroundings including the village - but don't touch anything and dont enter the temple yet
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Captain Oeberon offers some insight...he knows of this place in the Daylight World...and it is similar, yet different...even the beach is different...the ocean does not reach so high here as it does on the other side...why he cannot say...things like that.

As night sets you become convinced that whomever lived here is not coming back...this place is just a memory of something that was, preserved in the dreams of the Shadow World.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
As the party prepared to rest and sleep, wind came up from the sea. And not long after, sentries rose alarm. A ship was approaching the beach with really big man standing on the prow. And behind this ship other boats appeared as if they were forming from wind, sea and starlight.

"They are like the ships of souls from sailors' tales" whispered Maire.

One by one, the ships quietly landed on the beach and their crews gathered and walked to the village. It was clearly visible now that there were basically 3 kinds of them. The big one with double size of a man, few of the normal size and the rest were small, about two thirds of norm. They entered the village and started to do their chores like it was the most casual thing. Some of the small people got to their houses and set small fires inside, while others under guidance of the middle sized started various works. One group set to clean the basin while another went to the temple. And the big one sat on the building, which turned out to be rather some kind of chair, and slowly turned his head left and right overseeing the whole settlement. They all paid little attention to party camped near their village. Only occasionaly some of them laid their eyes upon watching adventurers or pointed fingers at them.

"Tell me, Pontiff, can Shadow world preserve memories of people long gone as well as memories of things?"

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
The Governor then glances around for a moment,

"The Shadow World in not within my experience so I will leave the decisions on this to you three."

He looks at the High Pontiff for a moment and continues addressing the him and the High Priestesses.

"Other things are, however.  Sarae is correct, this rock is not a shard of the Obelisk but is the weapon of an assassin, of that I have been sure for quite some time now.  And I am also quite sure who the assassin is.

You may have noticed Lady Faieme has not been alone since we entered the shadow world, and that one of Oeberon's men has always been with her at all times or have been the only one's to prepare her food.  They have also been keeping an eye out on anyone trying to get close to Lady Faieme again or who have been peculiarly concerned about her recovery. 

Oeberon has identified one of her men as almost certainly the assassin.  I want to take him alive to question him.  I hear the three of you speak of illusions - I want to set a trap to give the assassin the appearance of another opportunity to strike.  Can this be done?  If we catch him in the act there should be rather little objection to questioning him rather harshly I would think."

At this last question he focuses his gaze on Marie and the High Pontiff.
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

• Sovereign
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »
"Maire i know it not. I've experienced the Shadow Plane to refect the surroundings of the past but never the people of the past.

But then again I'm not expert on the Shadow Plane so I can't give a better answer. Those people down there could be a memory of those people from the past which would then be my first experience with memory of actual people being preserved in the Shadow Plane. Or it could be somebody else living in the Shadow Plane"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »
Having completed their tasks the strangers gather at the short, board their ships and sail away into the darkness. You'll never know who they were or why they are doing what they do.

Shauna Nolan:

We should get going. This memory is delaying us...if I'm not much mistaken this is an old Masetian colony.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:18:38 PM by DM Bjørn »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »
You have to make a decision:

1. Try to make your way by sea. Unknown hazards.
2. Make your way north through the woods. Warned about spirits.
3. Head south into the wastelands. SHould be fewer hazards, but the trip might get awfully long.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »
The Governor shakes his head,

"At the risk of seeing to shirk my duties as Governor I will leave the decision making as to direction to the four of you," he states looking as Sarae, Marie, Wallace and Shauna.  "The shadow world and its dangers are not within my experience and so I concede to your greater knowledge."

The Governor grows colder,

"But dealing with assassins and the like is.  It is imperative that we take him before we set out again.  There is to great a chance that he will slip away as we travel further, and, if we are attacked, it is almost guaranteed that he will use the chaos to run.  I need your help in taking him, but after that I will handle the questioning myself, unless anyone objects.

What I need is to give him the opportunity, or at least the apparent opportunity to finish the job.  Is that possible through magic.  Can one of you create an illusion that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time? I want to move her without anyone knowing and make it look like she is still resting or sleeping.  My guard will depart to relieve himself.

If the assassin wants to finish the job - well he hasn't had a chance yet and he knows he will likely not get another one.  If he jumps at the bait we can seize him knowing for sure he is the guilty party."

Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

• Sovereign
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »
At the risk of seeing to shirk my duties as Governor I will leave the decision making as to direction to the four of you," he states looking as Sarae, Marie, Wallace and Shauna.  "The shadow world and its dangers are not within my experience and so I concede to your greater knowledge."

The Governor grows colder,

"But dealing with assassins and the like is.  It is imperative that we take him before we set out again.  There is to great a chance that he will slip away as we travel further, and, if we are attacked, it is almost guaranteed that he will use the chaos to run.  I need your help in taking him, but after that I will handle the questioning myself, unless anyone objects.

What I need is to give him the opportunity, or at least the apparent opportunity to finish the job.  Is that possible through magic.  Can one of you create an illusion that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time? I want to move her without anyone knowing and make it look like she is still resting or sleeping.  My guard will depart to relieve himself.

If the assassin wants to finish the job - well he hasn't had a chance yet and he knows he will likely not get another one.  If he jumps at the bait we can seize him knowing for sure he is the guilty party."

If we have an assassin in our midst dealing with that assassin should be our first task.

For a man desperately in need of our help you ask for a lot of confidence yet you show little confidence yourself. When this is over I want to know it all. I don’t ask you to reveal the sources of your information should you prefer to keep those to yourself, but I think I’m entitled to get filled in on the details but for the sources of the information; if not know then when we have caught him.

I will trust you to keep your word – do I have your word to fill in the blanks afterwards governor? 

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
The Governor nods,

"I assure you I will inform you of everything I learn from the assassin during his questioning, and everything else I know about what is going on.  Most of what I know comes not from any hidden source of information but from the context of what has been happening here these past seasons, and of my own experience.  Being Governor of Mieres your Holiness is anything but dull.

As for what I learn from the assassin, you can of course observe the questioning if you wish, and in fact it may be advisable as we may need the assistance of a healer...  I would only ask of course if anything should occur that may... offend your sensibilities, that you allow me to get the information we need from him."

• Sovereign
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »
Wallac nods and sometimes later instructs Lachlan to help the Governor and do as he ask regarding illusions gives the impression that Faieme is unguarded for a short period of time.

"Governor we may need some sort of reason as to why lady Faieme is unguarded - perhaps an illusion of more than simply her being unguarded? My friend, Lachlan, will do as you ask of him"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:54:47 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »
The Governor instructs Lachlan that they will require three separate illusions if such is possible.

Firstly they require to move Faieme away from her current location and secret her somewhere else without being seen while maintaining the illusion she is still there, "live bait" the Governor points out, is not something he believes Faieme would sign up for.

Second, they need to have some guards nearby to the illusion, not visible to the human eye who can grab the assassin as soon as he makes his move.

Thirdly, the Governor suggests an illusion of some grotesque monstrosity arising from the sea to attack the group.  This would give them the perfect  excuse to move the guards away from Faieme as the men would be ordered to line up near the village to defend leaving Faieme alone in the rear. 

Is Lachlan capable of these feats, does she require aid from Shauna or others?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »
All this planning has clearly spooked the assassin...he is reported as missing...probably left the group when you were in the village. Too bad.

Oeberon thinks he must have gone north. LL is inclined to agree.

So, once again, what are you going to do?
DM Bjørn