Author Topic: Boeruine  (Read 8253 times)

Offline X-Aerenwe/TS (Miloš)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
    • timeKraft
Re: Boeruine
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
I've never liked the "Imperial Senate" style of forums the kind of bickering Robert is describing is inevitable and I try to stay away from such games in recent years. In one game we had a representative from Rhuobhe on "the senate", and in another one some temple of Haelyn (WIT if I recall correctly) brought a choir of goblin boys to "the senate" to demonstrate the success of their conversion efforts among the goblins. I mean no offence to guys who played Rhuobhe and the temple in question, but events like that really break the immersion for me.
Tasaenae Swordwraith,
By the Grace of Haelyn and Nesirie,
Queen of Aerenwe,
Countess of Calrie,
Protector and High Warden of the Erebannien

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
The Conclave performs the same function but so far we've avoided the sillyness of supporting each other that you note ;-)

Aye in CoT we have a long and proud tradition of not getting too involved with each other besides the usual partisan policies! ;-)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »
While I agree that the bickering will inevitably increase in intensity and uninvolved parties will inevitably be dragged into disputes (something that I see as positive incidentally) if a game has a central forum, the real issue is in my mind not the forum in itself, but the attitude of the players.

If players take a cartoon/board game approach then you will get problems regardless of whether there is a central forum of some sort - at least a forum offers an excuse for why regents at the opposite ends of Cerilia are talking to each other, etc.

Indeed.

Cerilia is a big place. And many players are incapable for envisioning that communications in a 16th century Europe-equivalent is not what they are used to.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
I've done loads of role-playing the last few decades (actually I have, scary), I connect this com time issue with the fog-of-war we have. IC it, IC it all and it works. Lack of knowledge is for me a key tension builder, the fun of predicting what is in short unpredictable for the overwhelming lack of info. The solution is initiative  :) Be the ruler, do not predict, decide  8)
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »
I try to keep the communications lag in mind, and the lack of knowledge about what's happening in other parts of the world, but it can be VERY hard sometimes.  A combination of the age old player-knowledge/character-knowledge issue, and the presence of ABILITIES the player has (instant communication) that the character doesn't.  I just do my best to keep from abusing things and make sure I don't bitch if I ever get called on something.  Apologize and accept.