Author Topic: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)  (Read 40719 times)

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 03:33:02 AM »
"Wait."  Bellamie catches Gaerred's shoulder, pulling the line to a momentary halt.  Elamien turns to glare at him, but sees his face turned towards the skies.  Looking up, the party sees what he has seen - a cloud bank creeping towards the bright moon.  Bellamie looks back to the others, murmuring "The darkness here may hold dangers, but at least it will help us move unseen.  If we are quick."

As the clouds slowly cover the moon, the valley darkens... but not as it should.  The light does not fade - instead, the shadows seem to grow and deepen, until every stone, hill, and tree casts waves of impenetrable blackness across a still-dimly-lit landscape, turning a quiet rolling valley into a nightmare of half-imagined shapes and pits.  The air becomes heavy and thick, difficult to breath, and even the sounds of the river and the heroes' passage seem muted and swallowed. 

Finally, Elamien takes a deep breath and nods, stepping forward with great care.  The heroes begin to slowly pick their way through the now-unfriendly landscape, carefully watching the ground to avoid missteps... and perhaps to avoid gazing around them into the beckoning darkness.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
Indeed. Clouds ARE gathering. Perhaps in response to the Pontiff's desperate attempt to impose his will on his surroundings. His intent was to hid you...even if the details were different. A few minutes later the moon is almost covered - and it starts to drizzle. You move forward and - despite Gaerred's attempts to the contrary - manage to make it past the enemy army.

(am I correct in that you're leaving the IHH templars AND sending the poor Marshal over to them, after dragging him in here?)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
(am I correct in that you're leaving the IHH templars AND sending the poor Marshal over to them, after dragging him in here?)

"Marshal, you better come with us."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
At the Patriarchs words Wallac nods his consent
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »
With the old man in tow you proceed. You pass by the enemy army and come into the far end of the valley...only to find that things are not like they are in the Daylight. Majestic portals lead into the hillsides and everywhere are the mammoth constructions build my the giants of ages past. Before the ice scoured it clean. Elamien is leading your forward, between towering columns, past great temples. On the far side her path leads to series of steps cut into the walls of the steep gorge into which the river flows white and foaming.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »
Lachlan, the Siddhe, turns to Gaerred, quickly look for the Pontiffs consent and whispers in his ear

"I believe thou are not really making an effort moving unnoticed. If one is seen likely all meet doom. Thou will make an effort with or possible without my help. If not I suggest you wait for the rest to be safe before moving further."

[If Gaerred want his help LL will cast a minor spell to make Gaerred harder to spot. If Gaerred refuse help and persist making noise LL will insist and possible use magic to detain Gaerred untill the others are far far away and safe]

His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
Lachlan, the Siddhe, turns to Gaerred, quickly look for the Pontiffs consent and whispers in his ear

"I believe thou are not really making an effort moving unnoticed. If one is seen likely all meet doom. Thou will make an effort with or possible without my help. If not I suggest you wait for the rest to be safe before moving further."

[If Gaerred want his help LL will cast a minor spell to make Gaerred harder to spot. If Gaerred refuse help and persist making noise LL will insist and possible use magic to detain Gaerred untill the others are far far away and safe]

Gaerred will accept any help. It isn't that he isn't trying to sneak, it is just that he is not very good at sneaking about.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »
It soon becomes a moot point - the honeymoon is over. Following the path you face repeated attacks by vampire spawn - from here in it will be a tough fight!

---

Weathering the attacks you arrive at the entrance of the tomb of Manethander - you can tell because although it is grand in every sense of the word its scale is human, not gargantuan. It might strike you as odd through, that a awnshegh like the Grey Duke, said to lie entombed, has found someone to build him such a fine mausoleum. But matters of architecture are probably not foremost in your minds as you ascend the stairs, pass through the colonnade, defeat another three spawn - these ones arrayed in the gear of temple knights - and pass into the mountain...
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
"We enter now into the heart of the Duke's power," Bellamie warns.  "This is no tomb - it is a temple to his own pride and power, raised from the Seeming by his very will.  It will obey his commands still; trust nothing you see, take nothing for granted.  Keep your eyes open and your wits sharp, and fix what is around you firmly in your mind.  It will not stop his power from changing things, but it may at least impede it.  Patriarch, have you any knowledge now of where we go?  Or perhaps the Pontiff can seek the Book of Law by Haelyn's power."

• Sovereign
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »
“Baron Bellamie your words give reason to the greatest caution and I can certainly confirm the wisdom in trying to fix what is around you in your mind. Not only will that impede his power it will likely also give you warning that he is trying to influence you or your surroundings.”

“I will pray for guidance from Haelyn about the location of his holy Book of Law. Please give me a moment to open myself to his celestial influence “

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
"The book is with the Maetheander and from here the way points to him," he says drawing the Scimitar of the High Hierophant while ditching his spear, now made useless in the confines of the mausoleum.  He puts his hand upon the shoulder of the Patriarch and smiles.

"Have faith, fedayeen," he says.

“When you have come to the edge of all Light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing One of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly," he squeezes gently and steps into the unknown.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Rashid gives a small sigh and his face remains unreadable.

"We will likely need to use the Book against Manethander. Much like he has used its power to try and break free, so its power must be possible to use against him. It may in fact be the missing piece that my forefather did not have, when he imprisoned instead of destroying him."

He then brandish the Sunsword, lettings its energy light the way.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
Divinations are notoriously fickle in the Shadow World...and so it must be now...for Haelyn reveals that the Book is far and away from here.

Then you continue into the structure...Tristan is right, this is more palace and temple than it is a tomb. Nor is it dark and gloomy - it is rich and brightly lit. So richly appointed it would be fitting for an Emperor.

DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
Gaerred makes note of the direction of the Great Hall and begins to press forward with the group.  "I assume we are expected."

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
"Patriarch, must the ritual to release Manethander be done here?  If we are in the wrong place entirely, all these sacrifices will be wasted!"