Author Topic: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...  (Read 30528 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »
Lastly I would discuss the other powers - and weakness of vampires. Here I have spent long hours ponder over tomes in various libraries...and the primary conclusion is that not all vampire are alike. I know not WHY they are not alike, only that they are. So one vampire might have a certain ability - such as turning into various animals of the night - while others do not. And one where one vampire must be invited into a household another can freely step across the threshold...they are very individual. And moreover - older and more powerful vampire seem to have rather more powers. And perhaps fewer weaknesses.

As creatures of the night many vampires seem to have an affinity for animals of the night...bats, rats, worgs...that sort of thing. Some can even take take their shape. And we've even seen one vampire turn to mist. Other vampires can climb on walls and ceilings. Or even fly. Some have great power over the weak-willed, able to charm them or dominate them completely. Other vampires seem even more resistant to injures than normal, or are faster or stronger than the norm. Perhaps some of you have uncovered other powers as well?

Weaknesses seem to include the presence of holy symbols, but I would not put too much stock in that. Same with garlic. Holy water should do them damage, but I'm not sure it's overly effective. Magical weapons should do the same as silver. Some need to be invited into an above or they will be wracked with pain or start to bleed. Others can't cross running water or are harmed by immersion on water. The stake has been mentioned...I do not think it needs to be wooden. But there are tales of wooden weapon being generally very effective against vampires. Perhaps there is something to it. Perhaps a wooden stake will slay, not just immobilize? Lack of reflection and lack of shadow has been mentioned. Disfigurement. You might have others?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »

IC:

"A vampire, who was a scion before undeath, may yet possess the powers of his bloodline", adds Elamien.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »
"Baron Tshalen spoke of his 'master' with absolute devotion," Bellamie points out, having returned eventually.  "He retained his mind, his skill and personality, but was given over wholly to the beast; what he had been told to do, he embraced, even justified as his own desires.  This was a man of towering pride and stubborn independence, of fire and anger and mighty will - and he did not even feel shame at what he had become.  He gloried in it."  His gaze is cast down, his eyes seeing something else altogether.  "It may be possible to free those less strongly taken, or to appeal to the goals and loyalties they once held.  But those Manethander has taken fully have nothing left to reach out to, nothing that does not willingly serve him with every fiber of their being."

He looks to the Patriarch.  "As to discovering the souls so afflicted, I can add little to Master Kaleiman's words.  Baron Tshalen used the Shadow World as his passage throughout my keep, dismissing walls and bars from his notice.  As he strode through it, dark bonds could be seen sunk into his flesh; I believe them to have been the power that made him a ghoul, revealed there by the nature of that place, but I cannot say how else they might be discovered.  And as Master Kaleiman says, those taken less fully may show no signs at all."

"Master Kaleiman has told us of what the creatures we face may be.  Have we knowledge of their numbers or their lairs as well?  If we are to make plans, we must at least know to where we must march.

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »

IC:

"The Patriarch will lead us to the tomb", replies Elamien.  "But I am not hopeful that we will encountre many lesser ghouls.  According to my information, beings were forced to feed upon Manethander's blood, alone, prior to becoming ghouls.  And my reason tells me that the Grey Duke would not waste his corrupting substance upon myriad lesser men.  Rather, I believe that he has probably bound a relatively small group of powerful individuals closely to him:  the Ogre, Baron Landen,—formerly, of course,—and perhaps a few other prominent figures, along with their immediate inferiors . . . which, as a matter of course, is the potential basis of a formidable army.  But I am not qualified to guess at troop numbers or types:  such is a task for military men."

And she glances at her husband, before leaning back in her chair, in indication that she has no thing more to say, at least for the moment.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
"There is a mystical connection between members of the Daouta bloodline and the Tomb. I will be able to find it."

"Beyond that, our enemy is able to use the Shadow to hide his camp and units."

"Does anyone have knowledge that can assist in piercing the Veil, if it becomes required? - And I mean for exiting as likely as entering."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Regents and AA's present for the adventure. If any is leftout or should have information added or changed please pm me and I will update them ASAP

Elinie:
Rashid ibn Daouta, Light of Reason (ahem)
Rashida bint Daouta, Paladin of Avanalae, General of Elinie (blooded half-sister of Rashid)

South Hold
Baron Tristan Bellamie

Tornilen
The Swordmage aka Marya Tanar of Tornilen Tornilen
Commander Gaerik Bellerran of Tornilen

Haelyn's Aegis
Marshal Edwin Balter

IHH
Wallac Isilviere (Regent/Cleric)
Saraen Bellamie (Lieutenant/Cleric/noble) (May not enter the tomb depending on what happens army wise)
Lannelah Lachlan (Henchman/Fighter/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight (and Sidhe btw))
Rogal Destar (Henchman Cleric/Rogue) (Not sure an unblooded human is smart to bring along. Ask Maester Kaleiman for advice as well as consult the material from Tuornens Silversleep (the halfling advisor with shadow world mastery(?))

From Life & Protection
Khaiarén Gaerred (as he is posting in adventure thread. Note Gray has not replied to the OoC mail thread concerning what characters participate in adventure)

MoC
Drago Tanar

Points East
Elamien Lamier

Ilien:
Baronettess Tilgentor (Fighter/Cleric)

Indepedent NPC:
Maester Kaleiman

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:19:16 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
"There is a mystical connection between members of the Daouta bloodline and the Tomb. I will be able to find it."

"Beyond that, our enemy is able to use the Shadow to hide his camp and units."

"Does anyone have knowledge that can assist in piercing the Veil, if it becomes required? - And I mean for exiting as likely as entering."

I have traveled through the Shadow World on occasion or two. It is to be considered exstreemly dangours and best avoided. As long as Ansien or it neighbouring provinces are not Shadow Warded we should however stand a small chance to survive and make it through. Silversleeps compilation have a few vague examples as of how to attempt travel between the two worlds. I think he mentioned as weakspot Ansien but I may be wrong. Master Kaleiman if you could confirm? [Wallac hand the compilation of Silversleep to Kaleiman]

In this we are assisted by the Eve of the Death as passage between the two worlds become easier as the Veil is at its weakest. The Sidhe Eldritch Knight Lachlan have traveled the Shadow World as well and he seemed to be familar with some of the spirits that assaulted us. Likely I had been dead where it not for his knowledge as well as his bravery. Looking around I see many a hero gathered so the regular denizens of the Shadow World is perhaps not to pose as big a problem as it did to us..
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
Kaleiman:

"It is here that I think our plans have yet to be laid out...if I understand the Patriarch correctly then we use those armies assemble to take control over the Grey Hills, while keeping the men protected from the magic of the Grey Duke. The Patriarch then leads us to the tomb...and we destroy the beast. Correct?

Will this at all involve the Shadow World? No? But what if something goes wrong? What if we are drawn into a dreamworld again? What if we MUST somehow traverse the shadow world to reach our target?"

DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
OOC: It's time to conclude the planning part of the adventure and move to resolution. The Patriarch of Elinie should take the lead and tell how it's going to go down.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
Gaerred nods.

"I believe, though I am by no means certain--that I can at least prevent the Grey Duke from drawing us into the Seeming, by reinforcing the Veil.  It will require a day or so, but I will not be able to shroud the full expanse of the Grey Hills; I must know where to focus the effort."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
Kaleiman:

"We must avoid the Shadow World for as long as we can - in the light of the sun we may hold the advantage, but on the other side..."
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 09:23:05 PM »
"Agreed.  We do not know how powerful Manethander may be on this side of the Veil, but should we cross into his domain, we grant him every advantage possible."  Baron Bellamie speaks with adamant conviction.  "Archduke Osoer and I followed the OIT into the Shadow World when the Book was first stolen.  Even within our own kingdom, much further from the heart of his power, his might was enormous.  Barely a tithe of our forces survived his magic.  At the very least, we must draw out as much of his strength as possible into battle within the Daylight World and see it defeated before we ever consider a crossing."

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »
Kaleiman:

"We must avoid the Shadow World for as long as we can - in the light of the sun we may hold the advantage, but on the other side..."
"Agreed.  We do not know how powerful Manethander may be on this side of the Veil, but should we cross into his domain, we grant him every advantage possible."  Baron Bellamie speaks with adamant conviction.  "Archduke Osoer and I followed the OIT into the Shadow World when the Book was first stolen.  Even within our own kingdom, much further from the heart of his power, his might was enormous.  Barely a tithe of our forces survived his magic.  At the very least, we must draw out as much of his strength as possible into battle within the Daylight World and see it defeated before we ever consider a crossing."

Gaerred nods.

"If it becomes necessary to remove the barrier - I believe I can do so from the tomb.  But barring that necessity, I will enact the rite as soon as I know where to cast the protection." He says, looking to the Patriarch to confirm the location.

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »

IC:

"That is the difficulty, though", says Elamien.  "For Rashid can find the tomb; and Rashid can lead us to the tomb.  But—"

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
"...but he does not know where it is?" Gaerred finishes.