Author Topic: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 43300 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Adventure #63 - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »
OOC: DM going to bed :)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
“Wallac I’m not sure if you know the extent of the difference between the men and the Sidhe. But you seem to be aware that I am even more exposed here in the Shadow World than the rest of you. I could use some protection”

Wallac slowly nods to himself.

“Will you permit me?”

Nodding his consent Lachlan bows his head just a little.

Wallac dip his fingers in holy water and invoke the All Father in a rather unorthodox ritual; a ritual to protect a sidhe without soul or perhaps just not having body and soul separate. Never the less the Pontiff goes through the ritual.

“All Father your humble servant ask you for yet a favor. Bless my friend Lachlan and protect him when the vile creature of Shadow returns. Lachlan is noble and just and has served your temple for more than a century for nothing but his own principles. Even now being himself in the gravest of dangers and far more vulnerable than the rest of us he serves to protect these people. Show him your mercy and lend him a fraction of your divine spirit to shine when the Shadow assault us. Lachlan may see no supernatural significance in this ritual and his view is that the most important function of ritual and tradition is not to achieve any effect in the outer world but create stability and balance in the inner world of the mind. My Lord prove him wrong”

[OoC: Bjørn can he be divinely blessed with something akin to protection from evil?]
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »
The Governor nods at Wallac, and looks about. 

He indicates to Oeberon to join him near Lady Faieme, who still lies injured.  Both stand ready to defend themselves, and Lady Faieme should the creature be looking for an easy kill.

Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2009, 07:34:23 AM »
OOC: RL took me away for two days...sorry guys...but now I'm back...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
You make some hurried preparations; you have several powerful priests that can bless the men and protect them from evil...and you also have a couple of arcane spellcasters.

The creature goes for the sidhe - with a singular focus and great ferocity. But Lannelah is ready, lashing out with his magic as it forms, binding its shape so that it cannot again turn to shadow and disappear. The thing then must contend with a wall of steel, and seems to reconsider its position. But by then it is too late, for it has lost the power of flight, and is hacked to pieces...but in the process every non-magical blade used to strike it turns black and rusted. As it 'dies' it turns into blackish goo that seeps into the ground and disappears.

"Beware, there are always more than one. Rearm and prepare!"
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
Five more of the things appear suddenly, killing any light but that conjured by magic, they lash out killing many men, but you ARE ready for them. Two of them you kill before the last three flee...leaving several men dead and half your remaining weapons useless.

Lannelah:

"This will not do. I know something of these creatures, and these were but scouts and assassins. They are here to pin us in place, make us afraid. If we remain here they will come in force and then we die. We must move, and quickly. Stay together in smaller groups and keep moving, preferably groups priests and mages with those unable to create light or fight back...if saving the commoners is of importance. Accept that they will strike us again as we flee, but there is no other alternative.

Follow me, or die."
DM Bjørn

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »
And so all run for their lives back to the coast, each faction in its own small group. Few celestial beings appear (hard to know who exactly called them) and fly over ready to engage any creature of shadow trying to interfere. Thank to this cover, "retreat" goes rather smoothly and it seems that party will be able to escape the danger.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
And so it is that you return to village by the sea...fewer in number, but richer in terrible memories. Of those that went into the woods, only half has returned. The rest were taken by half-glimpsed shapes...

Morale is, needles to say, completely broken...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
"Seems to me we cannot overcome most of the dangers here...I suggest we take the safest route and we avoid any more contacts with beings of this plane" so speaks Sarae

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
Clearly it is too dangerous to travel through all of Thenial to find an exit from this accursed place!

You must find another way.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
The Governor wipes some blood off his face and looks around.  Seeing the men demoralized he grabs a stool from the village and stands on it.

“LISTEN UP!” he calls out to get the men’s attention.

“My name is Arron Vaumel.  Arron Vaumel: Baron of Seaward, Count of Lathier, Viscount of Albiele, and Guardian of the Southern Wastes.  But more importantly, I am Arron Vaumel, Governor of Mieres.  I've survived gnolls. I have survived bandits. I have survived more assassins than you have fingers! 

I lived through the Diem invasion and I spit in the eye of Avan and survived his wraith.  And I swear by Belinik's Cock I am going to survive this damnable place.  I am bloodied, bruised, and more tired than I can remember.”  The Governor spits, “I can taste my own blood in my mouth.  All these things tell me one thing - I’m alive.  And I am going to stay that way.

If you want to stay alive, want it! If you want to give up - I’ll dig you your hole before we leave.  But know this, we are heading out soon and Gods help anything that tries to get between me and my way out of this place.”

He then smiles slightly, “And when I do get back to Seaward I am heading right to the Singing Ladies tavern and I am going to drink myself unconscious.  Anyone who joins me there - your drinks are on me.”

He then moves towards the other regents away from the men and speaks privately. "I've done what I can, I have no idea how in the hell to get out of here - do any of you?"
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »
If I recall correctly we cannot exit from the Obelisk since thenial's shadow-warded by ETN, right?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »
Well, you did get IN while it was warded, so maybe you could get out too. But then you'd have to contend with the gnolls (if they are still there).
DM Bjørn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »
"Governor, your little speech surely has brought a little of hope in our men heart but things aren't, in my opinion, easy. only two opportunities I see: first if our wizards have the Shadow Walk spell, to use it to walk very fast to the southern wastelands and there exits from the Shadow World. Second: try to exit through the Obelisk and face the gnoll, they may outnumber us but at least we should fight against enemies we can kill"

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
As the sad remains debate how to leave the Shadow World Wallac stops and address the survivors:

“I want you to consider something for a moment. You have been preyed upon by some of the most terrible and sinister creatures in existence and yet you prevailed. You have endured the soul tearing environment of the Shadow World for days and nights, a world forever shrouded in darkness and shadows. Yet, you are still here. You endured these things where others would have failed. The question I would ask you is simple. Why? Why did you pass this test where others will fail?”

The Pontiff looks from one man to another, waiting to see if any of them would answer the question.
At length, once Wallac has seen that none of the men will, he answers the question himself.

“It is because your minds were stronger. A man can be trained in the skills of killing; he can learn to use a blade or other weapons. Some can even learn to weave divine or arcane spells, but these things are nothing if the mind is not strong. It takes strength of mind for a man to face such terrible creatures. It takes strength for a man to know the environment of the Shadow World, to feel fear and yet refuse to break in the face of it. Always remember, the mind and will are as much weapons as the sword and magic.”

Pausing Wallac looks the men in their eyes, his commanding presence implying each that he looks into their soul and give each man the impression that he is directing his speech to him.

“Ultimately, the question of whether you will succeed or fail will be decided in the recesses of your own hearts. It takes mental strength and great fortitude of mind and will to walk the Shadow World and live. Yet you did. Take comfort in that fact and remember that while we were put to the most challenging of tests we who stand here passed”

As the words of the Pontiff take root in each man’s heart the mood change and suddenly thunderous applause and spontaneous cheering erupts as everyone is swept up in the infectious enthusiasm.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:22:32 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn