Author Topic: OOC: The Gray Duke Manethander Elin (planning)  (Read 12327 times)

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
Re: OOC: The Gray Duke Manethander Elin (planning)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:10 AM »
Some comments and thoughts--

4) This is going to require a wizard, I think.  There are realm spells which create or possibly could be modified for entry/exit into the Shadow World. The most obvious is "Shadow Gate", but that is a 9th level realm spell.  Spells like "Arcane Transport" could have potential (though it would require some research, I suppose).  Alternatively, there are some considerably more dangerous ways to do this, I suppose.

5) With the oddity in this was the fallen Paladins, but then I realized that Rournil Paladins are the only paladins likely to traverse the Shadow World, and probably were directed against the Gray Duke.  They are a reminder of the price of failure, I suppose.

6) The Wardens are probably a good start for this.

9) I am not sure it really matters, per se.  If he didn't take the book, he will still need to be put down.

11) He has definitely infiltrated Elinie & possibly Diemed (though I doubt he had a need to keep them after the theft).  He is the Lord of Vampires though, so it is very plausible that his progeny are in many major cities (think level 5+).  Less likely in smaller places, I think, since missing people would be more likely to be noticed, AND people that work at night would be noticed and gossiped about.  ONe of the tragic flaws regarding Vampire: Dark Ages -- in midieval times, people don't go out at night...they just didn't.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
6) Why the Wardens?

1,3,7,11) One thing that occurs to me is that we might be able to get a lot of answers if we can capture some of his progeny and get information out of them one way or another.  I feel confident we could find some of them in Elinie - anywhere else strike people as a good place to look?

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
The Wardens have been instrumental against the Lost in the past. They lost a lot of heroes on that account and might not be too keen on helping out anytime soon... No harm in trying though.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
6) might actually solve 4).  Finding allies in the Shadow World might also give us access to a weak point we could ferry people through.

Offline X-Hermedhie (Ronny)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
Hermedhie can help if Arcane Transportation can be used to move through the veil.
And I am sure any kind of heavy research on the matter would help some too. Maybe the College has something more on this Duke?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
Is Hermedhie interested in hiring out for some mercenary work?  :D  You're more than welcome for OOC brainstorming, but I don't know that you've got a real stake in this IC, as awesome as your assistance would be.

Offline X-Hermedhie (Ronny)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »
Hermedhie is always interested in mercenary work... If the pay is right!  ;D

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »
RCS will also be quite an asset for traveling the Shadow World. Involving them IC would be beneficial. Besides Kaven have lots of bodyparts yet to loose  ::)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
I suggest that the priests do some research on holy artifacts / prayers / etc for use in the Shadow World / against it - the Celestiel Spell is the obvious front runner, but most of the temples should have 'smite evil and defend the just' somewhere on their 'to do' list.

Cutting down some of our foes attack methods (defences against charms, illusions, level drains) and coming up with weapons against them (sunlight, holy water, but on a 'less hurt more kill' design) should help even the odds.

I can obviously start trying research actions, advise people of any leads and arrange the necessary adventures...

Other questions:
1. What allies are the Red Wind, Maneatheander, etc likely to gather in Cerilia - can any be stomped before they get hovered up?
2. Do we have a list of known Shadow World weak spots - and are they all watched (rhetorical to both parts...)
3. Beyond killing/terrorising/escaping, do we have any idea on motivations for Shadow World denizens?
4. Wizards.  Although obviously tainted from the outset, some of these demon worshiping backstabbers may temporarily agree not to be on the side of our enemies and may know of magical means of attack/defense/transport.  The Imperial College or a trusted court mage (if their are any) are the obvious sources to speak to - but the ancient temple of Rilni in far of Khinasi might know of means to defend against the Shadow - albeit after something of a pilgrimage.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:42 PM »
RCS will also be quite an asset for traveling the Shadow World. Involving them IC would be beneficial. Besides Kaven have lots of bodyparts yet to loose  ::)

Baaah! :P

Yes, I am quite offended that you brainstom about the Shadowworld, yet leave out the party who should be the most knowledgable in the area :P

4. Instead of creating a way (why would you make more holes in the veil, you bastards... I'm trying to close enough already :D), why not use already know locations? Some of the priests of Ruornil are capable of penetrating the veil there, and open a way to the other side, though they are normally reluctant to do so. (this also means you won't have to chase down a 17th level wizard :P)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
1. What allies are the Red Wind, Maneatheander, etc likely to gather in Cerilia - can any be stomped before they get hovered up?

That is a damned good consideration in general, and probably something the CoT should discuss at length.  Assuming it can remain civil for ten minutes in order to consider a matter of universal importance.

Meanwhile - at the moment, we've got Osoerde and the OIT who know about this stuff.  Osoerde's already demonstrated we consider retrieving the book vital.  Obviously, Elinie has its own reasons to be part of acting against the Grey Duke, and I think we can generally assume all the Haelynic orders would find retrieving the BoL from someone that blasphemous to be a matter of moderate importance. :-P  Who else has a natural stake in this?  RCS?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »

That is a damned good consideration in general, and probably something the CoT should discuss at length.  Assuming it can remain civil for ten minutes in order to consider a matter of universal importance.

Meanwhile - at the moment, we've got Osoerde and the OIT who know about this stuff.  Osoerde's already demonstrated we consider retrieving the book vital.  Obviously, Elinie has its own reasons to be part of acting against the Grey Duke, and I think we can generally assume all the Haelynic orders would find retrieving the BoL from someone that blasphemous to be a matter of moderate importance. :-P  Who else has a natural stake in this?  RCS?

The fallen Ruornite Paladins alone, would warrant that, yes... Besides Kaven is a Haelynite Paladin, and the RCS is the vassal of the OIT.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »
Thorsten for what it is worth your Pontiff consider RCS a keyplayer in any planed venture involving the Shadow World.

If I remember correctly CoT has allready been working on indexing and locating weak spots of the Veil and Thorstens suggestion that we use an existing entry point seems to me a rather good advice.
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 07:17:36 AM »
Fallen paladins of Ruornil? That would be something, seeing as there are no Ruornil paladins to begin with...let's call them templars (church warriors).
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »
Fallen paladins of Ruornil? That would be something, seeing as there are no Ruornil paladins to begin with...let's call them templars (church warriors).

Oh ok... well, they'd still warrant the attention of the RCS.  ;)