Author Topic: A New Start  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Aeric (DM Matt)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 11
  • Bringing the evil into your lives
A New Start
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
So... We have a lot to do it seems. The aim of the development phase of the project is to put in place a game that is ready to run - with domains, players, rules and tools that will make the running of the game itself intuitive, accessible and fun for all. I think we all want a game that we love dearly to keep running, based on all of Bjorn's hard work previously, and reducing burn out rates for DMs and players alike is vital to RoE3 being successful I think.

This may mean we try some new things - like asking some people to act as a DM to run adventures for other players and similar things, though they are not set in stone yet at all.

Currently the Poll seems to suggest that people would like a reset and I'll be looking at where and how in the next few days. That will of course lead onto domain documents, applications for realms and so on and so forth. In an ideal world the rules development would be ongoing at the same time with hopefully a finish date ready for launch of about the same.

So... dates. ATM I ain't going to be setting anything in stone because the amount of work and the number of people willing to help on it is widely variant. What I would like to do is try to organise a Skype call or similar sometime in the next couple of weeks to try to assess tasks and get some people volunteering for actions. I will also try to set up a project plan this week with as many of the requirements and milestones we need as possible listed.

Thoughts, comments and even the odd bit of sarcasm invited (though I am marking your card Rune, for certain :) )

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: A New Start
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »
Skype calls, check, I'll dig out my microphone...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline Aeric (DM Matt)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Well, we can always drop to normal calls Andy, but internationally that might be a tad expensive ;)

Offline Aeric (DM Matt)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
The nature of change and the platonic ideal of game.

Change is terrifying. When someone changes the nature of something you love then it strikes straight into your core and unsettles you.

Change is good. Without change there is no evolution, no rise or fall, no love or loss. There would not have been RoE2, Bjorn would not have started the RoE project at all. Life without change would be no life at all.

One of the risks when developing a game is that everyone thinks they know what it will look like; or rather they have a "perfect" shape of the game in their head, much like the Platonic Idealism from philosophy and Plato's Theory of Shapes. In short what it means is that we all know what a tree looks like in our head - it is only when we encounter them in the real world, day to day that we match the imperfect form of reality to the perfect form in our mind. The danger in game development is that people will have that perfect form in their head before you even have a framework in place for your game as they make assumptions based on early conversations or just what they convince themselves will be the right game. It means game design in public, or through community development can be highly risky andeven upsetting...

Ultimately some people will not be happy with RoE3 - there will be decisions made that some people wish were made differently. Perhaps a choice of date or location of setting, an agreement about a house rule or a choice of personnel will erk some people. But that is the nature of development and in the end I hope we wil in fact make something awesome, that people will feel engaged, involved and part of and that they will want to play for years to come. But if someone decides they don't like what we do, that they don't want to play? That is fine, really fine. No insult will be taken - from previous experience I know how important it is to say this now.

Im summary? We are building on the shoulders of giants; let us reach for the stars! ;)