Author Topic: ROE Online - Rule database interface  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 3
ROE Online - Rule database interface
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:50:13 AM »
Rule database interface. All actions and events have a ruleset. Most of these are based on a set of variables, it must be possible for Bjørn to enter this area and tweak the variables for the different game components. Actions, units, spells etc.
I would like to talk about this in some more depth in order to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Let's walk through an example: the Rule Holding action. Rule Holding action is an action, therefore the info for this in the database would include: Type (Regent, Realm), if type includes Realm, number of court actions (1 for each holding ruled beyond the first), Cost in GB (GBs equal to new holding level), Cost in RP (none), Domain DC (10 + new level), Difficulty Modifiers (Hardiness, Prosperity, Special: level must be vacant), Influence (yes), Results (holding level increases). So for any of these fields the GM could alter. Note: some action's results could not be implemented automatically.

Is this what you had in mind? Any thing additional?

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: ROE Online - Rule database interface
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
I think you are on the right track, there are certain pricing and effect variables that are used again and again in different actions.

You need someone to read through the rulebook and locate all the different pricing and effect elements, to get a complete listing for the code requirements. - If no one else beats me to it, I'll start on this.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
Thanks for the conditional volunteering.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »
Hehe, yeah. The next 9 days are going to be very busy for me. I have to do pretty much the same amount of work we need to do for this programming effort for my actual job, without taking any time from my other work projects, within the next 8 days.

Screen mock-ups, database references, requirements document and phasing plan. At least, if I survive, I'll have it fresh in memory for this! :-)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:35 PM »
Hehe, yeah. The next 9 days are going to be very busy for me. I have to do pretty much the same amount of work we need to do for this programming effort for my actual job, without taking any time from my other work projects, within the next 8 days.

Gee that sounds very familiar to my old job

Me: "So what project has the highest priority?"
Boss: "They all have the top priority."
Me:

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »
Too true!