Author Topic: Action Bonuses  (Read 3647 times)

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Action Bonuses
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
This question is about how the various bonuses we can arrange from AA and supporting actions and so forth combine.  As I understand it, it's not as simple as adding up a bonus from each support source.

Suppose I've decided I want to solve the mystery of Martin Royce's death forever, beyond any doubt or confusion (Hah!  Dream on, me!).  I perform an Espionage action to investigate.  I also spend an Adventure action to support it, going out and personally turning over rocks.  In addition, I have my AA who's best at spying stay home coordinating the effort (Ply Trade) and have two others Adventuring in support, same as me.  I ask my vassal to perform her own Espionage to support mine, since it's her province, and I even get the new Court Mage of Osoerde to cast a Realm Scry, allowing her to investigate certain people or places without them knowing anyone is doing so.

To summarize, then, I have an espionage action supported by 1 Regent Adventure, 1 Vassal Regent Espionage, 3 AA's, and 1 Realm Spell.  How would all this support affect the action?  Are there limits to how much support a single action can get?  Do some support types stack and others not?  Etc.  I realize that this may not operate under hard-and-fast rules, but I do want to have a better understanding of it than I do now.

Thanks!

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
Re: Action Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:47:01 AM by X-Points East »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
Thanks, Brandon.  Yeah, that bit I knew.  I'm more looking for how different sources of support interact with each other (PC actions with vassal actions with AA actions with spells).

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
Lots of DM handwaving in those waters...  ;D

I like rules. I love rules. But I live with whatever Bjørn can handle to make detailed rulings on. Complex actions and their resolution is one of the things I've personally just given up ever getting detailed.

Hm, sorry, not helping much am I?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
If more than one character goes on a single adventure its their combined classes/levels/abilities etc. that determines the total bonus.

If there is more than one adventure (i.e. 2 or more separate adventures) the highest bonus applies.

- the core 3E rule applies; bonuses of the same type do not stack.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
Here's a new question: province prosperity.  Positive prosperity helps actions by the ruling regent (since (s)he has popular support) and can give a negative modifier to enemy regents operating there (Espionage against a popular monarch is much harder).  What about less clear-cut situations?  Specifically, I'm thinking of Tristan operating in Calrie, where he has a Law holding and some followers, but has been publicly named "Evil Bastard of the Year" by the ruling queen.  Would I take negative modifiers to prosperity for hostile Espionage and Agitate, since they'd be considered hostile to the entire province?  What about Rule and Contest actions, which would be less "hostile" to anyone but the Queen's own opinions?  Etc.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
The application of prosperity modifiers to DACs is intentionally flexible.

To use Clarie as an example: The Queen has used diplomacy, decrees and other resources to brand you Vile Heretic. That means a good prosperity will make actions you take against the Queen more difficult. If an action was more neutral I might not apply the modifier since Tristan actually has a fairly good reputation in certain parts of the capital.
DM Bjørn