Author Topic: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien  (Read 25339 times)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
I don't know if Bjørn want's to start us, but I thought what the heck, and posted a little introduction to Kaven and his men.
If it's out of place, just move it or delete it.  :)

- Thorsten

Edit:
Oh, and I just wan't to say:
"Birthright, how I've missed suckling at your imaginary teat!"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:21:26 PM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
Personally I think, having a hard time holding my horses allready, better not to start the ride before Bjørn gives us the signal  ;)

That said I have no problem with your post there

Selfcontroll failing I begin writing a prelude to The Wraiths of Ilien. As with Thorstens post feel free to move or delete and giving the length of mine modify it to suit your perception of the adventure
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:11:19 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »
You're quite welcome. Obviously you should focus towards an actual point where the adventure may commence and then write no more, while you await Bjørn's post.

F.ex. at the point when you actually enter the catacombs/sewers.

• Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
Yes entering the sewers we should stop for Bjørn to take charge.

Furthermore I am wondering if I could just include the Swordmage and Tristand Bellamie in our descriptions and so march to the entrance in a group
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Sure, adventures demand active players and won't wait for the tardy.

• Sovereign
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Whats the protocol for modifying forum posts in an adventure after a new post have been made? To be more precise missing words and grammar.

like chaning "man" to "men", deleting a "the" to many and such?

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
After reading Bjorn's post -- I am kinda happy I didn't go.

I personally would have been advocating falling back at the moment to get additional resources. 

Undead which use tactics are never good...
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
Whats the protocol for modifying forum posts in an adventure after a new post have been made? To be more precise missing words and grammar.

like chaning "man" to "men", deleting a "the" to many and such?

No problem with cosmetic changes, make an "edit" note if you change something that may have a game impact - and only if others haven't posted something afterwards that depended on what you said. (Like I wrote "I go left" but meant "I go right" :)

• Sovereign
Re: The Wraiths of Ilien
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
Now things become...difficult...so far you have faced enemies of flesh and blood (dead mind you, and suffused with dark power, but still) and no wraiths at all. That suddenly changes - and it is not a change for good.

Intellectually you know that the wraiths are incorporeal. But what does that really mean? Mean when you are fighting them down in the dark tunnels beneath the earth, fighting them on their own turf?

It means they can attack you as they please - suddenly appearing from nowhere, a wall or a ceiling, completely without sound, a barely-seen flicker of evil that rips the life from those that they touch.

I doesn't mean you are helpless before their onslaught; you have mages among your numbers, and clerics of great faith. But the creatures attack with so little warning that for you to survive you must gather closely together and be constantly alert. Which has the secondary effect of slowing you down to a crawl.

You've only lost a few more men, but moral is no longer good; and you're huddled together in a dense knot that can't more very quickly...and somewhere above you the sun is slowly descending to earth...

[OOC: A few questions of mine:
1) Have we killed one or more Wraiths? If we have do we have a number of how many we have killed?
2) Regarding warning; for the purpose of exactly not to be completely taken ofguard by the incorperal undeads we have brought a couple of caged rats. The point is that when the wraiths come within 30 feet as per "Unnatural Aura (Su)
Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a wraith at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.
". Bjørn does this apply in RoE and if it does will it help us.
3) Can a player (in this case Thorsten) decide to turn the direction - e.i. decide that the center of evil is not where we have been moving to all along, as per divination and as decided by bjørn?
4) Do we have any idea of wether or not we are getting closer to their lair]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:28:00 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »

[OOC: A few questions of mine:
1) Have we killed one or more Wraiths? If we have do we have a number of how many we have killed?
2) Regarding warning; for the purpose of exactly not to be completely taken ofguard by the incorperal undeads we have brought a couple of caged rats. The point is that when the wraiths come within 30 feet as per "Unnatural Aura (Su)
Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a wraith at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.
". Bjørn does this apply in RoE and if it does will it help us.
3) Can a player (in this case Thorsten) decide to turn the direction - e.i. decide that the center of evil is not where we have been moving to all along, as per divination and as decided by bjørn?
4) Do we have any idea of wether or not we are getting closer to their lair]

Ooc: 30 feet is less than 10 meters and the range of a charge move is 60 feet for a human, 120 for a flying wraith. Not much of a warning even if you know where they come from (ie. they aren't comming from the wall, floor and ceiling).
As to an idea, both Kaven and the Patriarch seem convinced of their words, the Baron clearly trusting the Patriarchs feelings on the matter.

• Sovereign
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
I assume it's Jon who moved the two posts above from the adventure thread and so Bjørn have not read my questions. Shall I write them specifically to him or assume he read this tread as well

• Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
Just wondering how the Wraiths incorporeal ability work. I have copypasted this from here http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype

Not sure if this is how our wraiths ability in RoE work though. Bjørn could you please enlight me? I am not trying to tell you how it should be but rather to ajust my own assumptions to match yours as to avoid misunderstandings on my part.

"An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. An incorporeal creature cannot pass through a force effect. "

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
I assume it's Jon who moved the two posts above from the adventure thread and so Bjørn have not read my questions. Shall I write them specifically to him or assume he read this tread as well

Always a good idea to write him directly. And it's always a good idea to take the vanilla rules as a basis, but expect the RoE version to be nastier.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »

Jon did so partially at my resquest, I believe. As you see already, there is more ooc chatter, than IC, and to have it mixed (in my oppinion) really disrupts the flow of the tale (which I think is a shame, as I really love when people post IC). And since there already was an ooc thread on the subject, why not use that (or mail).

- I don't see why not. Kaven can certainly try, and Kaven's player likewise. Anything else would be railroading (something, which good to speed up stories, but basically could just as well be one man writing the entire adventure and putting that out. That one man beeing Bjørn, and us missing out on all the fun and games.)
We get to make choices, and the manner in which we act upon them, reflects upon the story. For example, had the IHH and RCS not acted to appease the countess, we might never have gotten this far.

In this example I get the feeling that you see Wallac as the leader of this adventure, and thus feel his authority undermined by Kaven. But are you sure that others (Kaven for example) see it the same way IC?  ::)

- Thorsten

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »

Jon did so partially at my resquest, I believe. As you see already, there is more ooc chatter, than IC, and to have it mixed (in my oppinion) really disrupts the flow of the tale (which I think is a shame, as I really love when people post IC). And since there already was an ooc thread on the subject, why not use that (or mail).

That's partially true :) - mainly I'm doing it because I just love the power of move yall around as I DESIRE! muhahahahah! Ah... Gave my petty side all away didn't I. :-[

Anyway, keep long OoC chains out of IC matters. We have the Great Beyond for that.

And yeah, the nature of the game taken into consideration, any good ideas you have to turn the story in other directions, are welcome. Especially countermeasures.