Author Topic: Realm spell update  (Read 17729 times)

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
Re: Realm spell update
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
OR perhaps...

For each season the RP cost is paid, the unit costs is reduced.

This has the nice effect of forcing choices...

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
Any update on the realm spells? I was looking at Crusade and Holy War, and found that neither was of great benefit. Especially Holy War has a very limited use due to the 4GB cost of preparing the spell. Assuming it is cast on something like 8 Armsmen, the saving will only be 8GB, against a cost of 4 GB, 16 RP and 1 Regent Action. While there is potential for some more savings if used on even higher cost units, it is not too frequent there are 8 units of knights gathered. If used on fewer units, the benefit becomes even less.

Edit: One thing that would make the spell slightly more versatile would be if it could be cast on units in more than one Province. This would make it much more likely that the spell could benefit a sufficient number of units for it to be economical.

I would never think that economics should be the main consern if one need to use spells like Crusade and Holy War. They can not be spells one use for the odd fight every other year.
Are really all spells to be about saving gold? Spells should just as much be about getting a dramatic effect, at a high cost in gold.
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
I disagree.

Magic should be able having a tangible effect, without shattering game balance.  Magic is suppose to supplement, not supplant, domain actions.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »
I disagree.

Magic should be able having a tangible effect, without shattering game balance.  Magic is suppose to supplement, not supplant, domain actions.

so Crusade and Holy War should be used to save gold?
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »
I disagree.

so Crusade and Holy War should be used to save gold?

If the primary function of the spell is to reduce upkeep (for Holy War) I would certainly hope it saved some gold bars rather than increase the amount of resources required.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
I was commenting more about magic in general and less about those two spells; they appear broken/ineffective as written.

The spell should either last a year, or be considerably cheaper in terms of GB/RP cost.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
A lot of spells have either their cost in RP lowered, affect more targets or last longer. There were many useless spells before. The intention is to make all of the spells useful in a least some circumstances.

But its like a collectible card game; some card seem useless by themselves, but used with other spells or in certain situations they become very powerful. Not easy to balance them.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
In terms of balance and cost effectiveness, the spells affecting mutplie targets that have either 'base' or 'base plus number of targets' are effected excessively by level - not only does high level give more area of effect, it also spreads the base cost out making each target cheaper.

So, for example, celestial blessing at 4 GB + 4 Gb per target province is very different from net outcome if you can cast it on 2 targets rather than just 1, and still have quite a difference (to those of us who count gold in decimals not tens anyway) between 2 and 3 provinces.

It would be easier to balance spells if the effect as 'x' per unit/province/target than base+'x'.

On the cost:benefit point I vary between hung up (it's just a different way of doing an action) and not fussed (some effects can have huge tactical effect in the right circumstances justifying excessive cost).

From a fluff view I'd rather that a wizard hurl fiery death or summon demons rather than hire mercenaries as otherwise they just stop casting spells and, well, become poor guilders.  So I'd look for a balance usually, possibly a slight advantage for magic use to reflect its limitations (need for local source, chance to dispel) or disadvantage for benefits (multiple spells for 1 action, some spells give unexpected tactical advantages or are hard to counter for a non-spellcaster). depending on the spell concerned.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded