Author Topic: Decree: Grant Promotion and Advisors  (Read 20197 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Decree: Grant Promotion and Advisors
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
Nice question.. Surprisingly in Regent's Guide there is no DDC specified...

I guess 10? (just like grant promotion?)

I have made that assumtion, and my action to promote succeeded last season, so yea.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
This season I've got
promote hireling to henchmen
assign title
assign title

We end up using a TON of actions to get those 10% discounts.......
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:05 PM »
This season I've got
assign title
assign title

We end up using a TON of actions to get those 10% discounts.......

Ahem, chance of a 10% discount.

But then, how much do you save on a good 'administrate:tin cans' per season?  Compare the cost in GB, RP and actions of appointing your administrator with ruling up 2-3 levels of a holding to get the equivalent income boost...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »
My Chamberlain is making a killing...  ;D

OOC: Jon, delete this post  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:39:36 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »

I thought that your sister was the one doing that?  Man, Elenie's a mean realm...
Robhan Khaiarén

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »

I thought that your sister was the one doing that?  Man, Elenie's a mean realm...

Indeed!

OOC: Kill this post too if you please. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:40:11 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
Keep the chatter in the OoC section please.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »
Hi guys, just to touch base and check if I got this right.

With the Current rules, these are the DDC's to Hire Help:

As Advisor:
NPC Class (Expert, Aristocrat or Warrior) = 5
 - With Magic (Adept) = 10
Expert Class (Nomad, Blademaster, Knight, Scout, Guilder) = 10
- With Magic (Skald, Mystic, Magician) = 15
Heroic Class (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Noble, Rogue) = 20
- With Magic (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard) = 25

As Hireling: - Add 5 to the DDC of above

Add +1 DDC/lvl.

Add further +5 to DDC if its a magic user that can cast Realm Magic.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
No...there are two 'categories' of classes;

NPC (Professional) classes: Expert, Aristocrat etc.

PC (Elite) class: Fighter, sorcerer, guilder, scout, magician etc.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
Ok, so its like this then?

With the Current rules, these are the DDC's to Hire Help:

As Advisor:
Professional (Expert, Aristocrat or Warrior) = 5
 - With Magic (Adept) = 10
PC (Elite) (Nomad, Blademaster, Knight, Scout, Guilder, Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Noble, Rogue) = 10
- With Magic (Skald, Mystic, Magician, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard) = 15

As Hireling: - Add 5 to the DDC of above

Add +1 DDC/lvl.

Add further +5 to DDC if its a magic user that can cast Realm Magic.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
Sadly your wizard/sorcerer will also need true magic (another +5), possibly your priests - I'm not sure if priestly magic is considered 'true' magic.  A human capable of casting true magic must, of course, also be blooded (at least +5).

Your spellcaster capable of casting realm spells will also need to be able to use ritual magic, I have no idea what that is, but its a prerequisite - and adds another +5.

So a wizard of your home culture:  DDC 10 (base) +5 elite +5 tainted bloodline +5 spell casting +5 true magic +level = DDC 30 + level

If they can cast realm spells (so level 5 minimum to get the skills at L8, ignore feats for now) add ritual and realm magic for DDC = 40 + level.

As has been said to me repeatedly, these characters are rare - so hire, say, a L3 character, train them up to L8 for the second extra feat, and hope that nobody pinches them.  Or try Alan's suggested route of hiring them with unspent feats and skill points and bump them just one level to clean up, if Bjorn/Jon can be bribed to let you get away with it.

I'm still hoping I'm wrong on the above, but figure that any DC over 25-30 is prohibitively expensive, particularly as you can't take 10 or 20 on the action. 
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »
DDC still needs to be looked upon; but here are some hints that could help:

- Diplomacy with CoS to gain a bonus to the Hire action
- Good court, good stability
- Supportive actions by AAs (when hiring)
- Good action description (when hiring)

Start looking for a human (anuirean) wizard recently graduated (lvl 3-5) with a weak bloodline and no realm magic. With a little influence and the above bonuses you should be able to get the character.

You're not supposed to be able to pick up a Kaleiman-like figure from the street; who can start ruling sources and casting realm spells of 5+ lvl.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
You're not supposed to be able to pick up a Kaleiman-like figure from the street; who can start ruling sources and casting realm spells of 5+ lvl.

Dang, I wanted to hire someone who can take on the magian for a few GB  ::)

The way I see it, anyone close in power to the main PC should be very hard to get hold of - why wouldn't they be running the domain?  Even as henchmen they are going to be rivals too.

That said at present level is almost irrelevant to the cost, which sounds wrong somehow.  Meh, at one hire per season without DC spirals I'm a way off hiring the Iron King anyway...
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
That IS an interesting point; the revised DDC will focus more on NPC lvl (low, medium, high).
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
That IS an interesting point; the revised DDC will focus more on NPC lvl (low, medium, high).

You could use an arithmetic progression for level - a L1 priest isn't easy to find (well, except for priest regents probably), but is surely easier to recruit than a L9 fighter who is happy to serve the regent - frankly at L9+ they should already have rank and position...

So for example costs might go:
L1: +1 DDC L2: +3 DDC, L3: +6 DDC, L4: +10 DDC, L5: +15 DDC, L6: +21, L7: +28 DDC, L8: +36 DDC...

To keep it simple you could reduce the number of steps - so a regent hires a low/med/high level Pc but doesn't know exactly what they will get

L1-3: DDC +5.  L4-6: DDC +15.  L7-9: DDC +25/30, diplomacy necessary, etc.

You can get someone at the start of their career under either progression method, but add mid level it starts getting expensive, at 'regent' sort of level it gets horrible.

The questions this poses are: 1) what should base DDC be?  Should a bog-standard L1 or 2 fighter be a take 10 sort of action, or a toughie?  Should magic be far ,far, rarer - and if so should that be reflected with a DDC modifier (as present), or just a 'the college/seminary produces 'x' candidates a year' DM-whim sort of modifier?

Should the current modifiers for magic, etc be subsumed into level barring realm spells?  Spells, True magic, and Ritual magic assume high level already to be effective so I'm not sure it isn't double counting with the level mod to pull them out; but only the shift from 'adventure level' to realm spells is a 'step change' in power at domain level - and a paragon capable of casting such spells must already have some senior rank in a temple or a wizard realm to have got the practice of casting realm spells, suggesting that an adventure should be required, or diplomacy, or some sort of major recognition for an internal promotion.

'Don't think you can ping a realm spell person' is very necessary - as a priest regent I 'am' the ruler's go-to for realm spells, if the ruler could ping a moderate cleric then suddenly I have major competition...  I'd rather it was a 'bribe the DM' sort of difficulty than a 'add 'x' to DDC' though - but obviously that puts more pressure on the DM team...

Personally I'd see different culture as a fluff thing - and likely a distinctly mixed blessing.  An elf or goblin looey would cause havok in many realms... So increasing the cost by 10 RP (i.e. +5 DDC) seems unnecessary from a balance viewpoint although I can see the point - most hirelings, etc should be Anuireans because they are the locals.

The issue is 'advisers' - they probably wind up quite cheap under the above system as they have no magic, are low level, etc - even though they probably have a greater effect on domain-level play than any other hireling other than a realm-spell capable wizard/priest.
Robhan Khaiarén