Author Topic: The Chamberlain and the duel  (Read 13123 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: The Chamberlain and the duel
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
The Chamberlain looks somewhat nonplussed by the religious sermon he was just on the receiving end of.

"Yes... Well done. I expect the Pontiff to investigate this matter and send Our person any report on your findings regarding new and old threats to all of Anuire.

But pertaining to the matter at hand. I have heard all testimonials relevant and thank you for your time. The Green Knight will not be defending himself or receive defense from anyone, as he has already given a sworn statement and I do not wish to expend anymore time on this sad matter.

Justice will now be served."

He waves his page to his side, who serves him a glass of chilled water with some strange fruit in it. He drinks, slowly.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
"Your Imperial Excellency I will do as you ask. These matters will be discused further during the Conclave of Temples session during S&C. I note you have accepted to honor us with your presence there so feel free to ask questions there as well"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
The Chamberlain finishes his drink, waves at his page once again who springs into action and barks orders at a horde of servants who begin to pass out cool drinks. While this is done the Chamberlain looks deep in thought.
 In the meantime, Estevan Daulton is brought before the court, manacled. He looks unkempt and savage, haggard from a week's worth of dungeon time. But no remorse or sign of great emotion shows on his visage.

"The verdict is a harsh and unforgiving one, but law must be consequence, not prone to emotion or fleeting opinion."

Then he begins to recite the preamble of the ancient Book of Laws.

"With law shall land be built. And if all men would be content with what is theirs, and let others enjoy the same rights, there would be no need of law. For law is lesser than the truth, but where the truth is in doubt, the law must show the truth.
 If the land had no law, then he would have the most who could grab the most.

The law, must be honest, just, reasonable, and according to the ways of the people. It must meet their needs, and speak plainly so that all men may know and understand what the law is. It is not to be made in any man's favor, but for the needs of all them who live in the land.
 No man shall judge the law which the Emperor has given and the country chosen; neither shall he take it back without the will of the people."

He sighs.

"In this matter of the duel between Baron Tshalen and the Swordmage there are many guilty:

The Swordmage cast magic unlawfully, within city limits and thus posed a great and present danger to the people. For this she is banished from the Imperial City."

Gasps all around, but the Chamberlain forestalls any protest with a raised hand.

"... Untill such a time when she has received the proper training and sanction of a member of the College of Sorcery. Indeed until such a time when she herself is a member of the College of Sorcery. As any TRUE user of the arcana should be."

He continues.

"Estevan Daulton, the Green Knight did ignore a plea for surrender, he drew steel against the Imperial Legion. For this, Estevan Daulton is banished from the Imperial City. Where you go from here, I care not, away from this city, into shame!"

All color drains from Daulton's face, this is a huge loss of prestige and a permanent dent in his honor.
 The Chamberlain continues.

"Furthermore, the acts that led directly to the bloody carnage that ensued, must be punished. Any man that broke the sacred covenant of the duel must seek penance with the gods.
 Each will also be fined 1GB to pay for reparations.

This includes Patriarch Daouta, Baron Roesone, Baron Medoere and Guilder Ghoried, Lord of Ghieste.

Those who are banished have till morning to leave the city. Those who are judged should look to the gods for guidance.

This court is adjourned."

The Chamberlain rises and leaves.

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
As the verdict falls upon her the Swordmage face turns icy and she bares her teeth... with a great effort, she controls herself and remains silent until the Chamberlain is done speaking. Her expression becomes more calm and she raises her voice.

"Your Excellency, a question if I may. How am I to be trained at the College of Magic if I cannot enter the City? I do not dispute your right to mete out justice, but it seems a conondrum to me."
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Kaven bows his head in acceptance of the penance, and rises slowly, resting one hand on his sore ribs. As he turns to leave, he stops in front of the Green Knight, attempting a weak smile in his direction even as he presents the man with a folded piece of parchment. Then he nods once to the gathered regents and leaves.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
Patriarch Rashid seems to take the verdict in stride. Standing, to bow to the Chamberlain, he says; "In Avanalae's Light shall I be judged."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
The Chamberlain turns and looks at you, with a genuine smile he responds.

"Why, that is but to ask them. There are College of Sorcery members all over Anuire."

He is about to leave, then turns to face you one last time.

"Next time we meet, Marya Tanar, I shall bring you a better wedding gift than banishment."

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
Then the Chamberlain looks to Patriarch Daouta.

"I trust you shall Patriarch. Haelyn go with you."

Then he turns to Archduke Osoer and Baron Tshalen.

"Archduke, I have judged righteously, but not according to honor. I trust your man Tshalen will seek a penance of his own. We are all well served by bowing our heads to the gods once in a while."

Then he looks to the Green Knight and Baron Medoere. He smiles.

"Some moreso than others. Good Baron Medoere, you will carry the greatest burden I am sure."

Then he nods slowly and leaves.

The Green Knight for his part has a glazed over look. It is as if he sees, but does not see.

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »
Silently steaming, the Swordmage watches the Chamberlain leave. Then with an angry wave she rises and calls her retinue to their feet with her. She strides towards the exit from the chamber with long, fast steps.

As she passes the Green Knight she turns towards him for a moment.
"Drago sends his greetings. Next time will be different."

Then she leaves.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
Arvour stands there unmoving , leaning on the crutch, throughout the chamberlain's pronouncement. With coldness in his voice he responds

"You are the regent of this city and I respect any earthly sentence you reach, based on laws valid within these wally, Your Imperial Excellency."

"I have already stated that I feel responsible for what happened and it was my action that caused harm to my peers that came to my aid. Therefore I will cover all the financial costs of this sentence."
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
As she passes the Green Knight she turns towards him for a moment.
"Drago sends his greetings. Next time will be different."

Robhan briefly smiles, rapt by the thought, now that would be a worthy duel... with appropriate formalities of course...

Passing the Green Knight on his way out he pauses briefly and speaks softly, So long as Haelyn holds faith with you, then any burden can be borne, and any honour won through proven valour.  There are a multitude of foes that threaten the empire - and you stand free now to strike them without drawing revenge against it...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
The Green Knight looks at you with empty eyes. It's like he's someplace else right now. Not hearing or seeing things you see.
 He's holding the parchment Baron Medoere gave him in limp hands.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:12:26 PM by DM Jon »

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
Arvour walks over slowly to he Green Knight. He looks at him directly in the eyes, then inhales deeply.
Leaning with one hand on the crutch, he puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Come, ser Estevan. You are still in my service and until that changes I am still responsible for you. Walk with me to my residence and we shall see what to do from this day on."
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »
The Green Knight doesn't say as much as a word, but nevertheless does as asked and leaves with the Baron.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »
Robhan looks worried as the Baron and Green Knight leave, excessive pride humbled is a good thing, but pride shattered leaves a void - and all of us saw how poisoned such a void can become these past few days...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded