Author Topic: Net absence  (Read 10701 times)

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
Net absence
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm in Venice this month, doing research in the archives and even though I thought I'd have regular net access this isn't the case. Apparently, the mindset of the locals here is to strip the non-residents of all the money they have in their pockets by overcharging for food, lodging, booze (beer is 5 Euros!!), transportation (6.5 Euros single ticket for the bloody public transportation boats/1.1 for residents), and of course internet (2.5 Euros for 10 minutes, half for residents). I can access the net at the public library but since I'm spending 8-10 hours a day in the archives deciphering 16th century Venetian dialect scribbles I'm not all that keen on crossing half the city to get to the internet, especially since we're in the middle of the flood season in this stinking sinking city with half the streets covered in 3-4 inches of sewage water for several hours a day.

So, basically, until the end of the month I'll be living medievally :(
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
Re: Net absence
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
Venice, the pearl of the the Mediterranean...
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
When your bedroom is inch deep in salty sewage you don't really get to appreciate the "pearls."

Besides, everyone knows that our Croatian side of the Adriatic is immeasurably superior hehe.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »
They just don't get water like yours on the other side.

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Besides, everyone knows that our Croatian side of the Adriatic is immeasurably superior hehe.
Indeed, and not only the water quality. More the fool for leaving  ;D

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
  • Carilon Alam, Archduke of Alamie
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
Lucky man. Venice at this season must be great.

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
booze (beer is 5 Euros!!)

Beer is around 8 euros in Norway  ::)
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
booze (beer is 5 Euros!!)

Beer is around 8 euros in Norway  ::)

That's because you insist on going to posh places with overpriced drinks. There are always places where it is substantially cheaper. Join me in the grotty dungeon of a watering hole 8)

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
That's because you insist on going to posh places with overpriced drinks. There are always places where it is substantially cheaper. Join me in the grotty dungeon of a watering hole 8)

Pfff... I just want to be served proper beer, and not piss water! That said, just get your butt back here and I'll join you.
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
Rune IS posh...but a very nice chap nonetheless  ::)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
Pish... Everyone knows Norwegians can afford it... What with the oil you stole from Denmark.  ;)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »

Pfff... I just want to be served proper beer, and not piss water! That said, just get your butt back here and I'll join you.

Fair enough, considering almost all beer made in Norway is utter pish. No excuse for going to some swanky bar just to pay more for said pish.

How about you get your lazy ass over here and we can have some proper beer. A large portion of which would be from Belgium, but served in a suitably grotty atmosphere.

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »

Fair enough, considering almost all beer made in Norway is utter pish. No excuse for going to some swanky bar just to pay more for said pish.

How about you get your lazy ass over here and we can have some proper beer. A large portion of which would be from Belgium, but served in a suitably grotty atmosphere.

OK, I'll bite.  What specifically do you guys consider good beer?

Personally, I prefer Guinness, which costs about $1.50 US per pint to drink in my own comfortable dungeon, but might cost $4-$5 at a "reputable" drinking establishment.  I tell my wife that I am saving our family $3 every time I drink one at home, but for some reason she just looks at me funny...  ;)
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Hmm, a good beer to me is dark, sweet and with a bit of bubbles. The British ones are ok, but too flat.

A stout with a fuzz, that'd be good.

Newcastle Brown Ale is a sturdy good brew. - Easy to get too, so often my beer of choice.

Erdinger Dunkel is very good.

A number of dark, typically christmas inspired, beers are supreme.

I'm told that my taste in beer favors the traditional Czech beers, where one of the tests to see if it was ready, was to take on an apron backwards and sit in a chair where the beer had been poured over. If the beer was sticky enough that the chair lifted with the apron, then it was ready.  :)

If not really partial to the Danish pilsners like Tuborg and Carlsberg, although Carlsberg have, in recent years, made several other kinds of beer some of which are fairly good.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »

Newcastle Brown Ale is a sturdy good brew. - Easy to get too, so often my beer of choice.

I first had my first Newcastle Brown Ale when I visited England several years ago.  It was GREAT!  Tried several different ale's when I was there, but "Newkie" was my favorite draft beverage.

Then, to my astonishment, I found "Newcastle Brown Ale" at a local store (bottled) and snapped it right up!  However, I was somewhat disappointed when I got home - yes it was still good, but the distinctive taste and texture of the beverage somehow got seriously watered down traveling across the Atlantic (I live in California).  It's like a light beer compared to what I had in England - weird.  I still drink it from time to time, but I guess I'll never forget my first "Newkie", and look forward to enjoying it when I travel overseas! 
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight