Author Topic: Discussion on the proper use of "The Courts of Anuire" IC forum  (Read 4515 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Discussion on the proper use of "The Courts of Anuire" IC forum
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
Personally, I refrain from "galaxy wide" debates that I got sort of fed up with in other PBEMs so I choose not to participate in such things unless my regent is physically present. It sort of messes up my suspension of disbelief when our regents are engaging in a dispute with people across the continent. In other PBEMs the only result were enmities that had little to no actual rationale, like Medoere meddling in a Dhoesone/Stjordvik issue or Taeghas telling Coeranys how to handle this or that which isn't all that realistic and tends to send armies on ludicrous wars a gazillion miles away :)

It also makes the S&C and other similar gatherings that much more special.

Now, if somone asks Arvour personally what he thinks on the goblin issue he might be inclined to share his thoughts, but not via a letter sent out to "everyone in Anuire"

Thanks Robert, you sum up exactly what I dislike about global chat in PBeMs. In a previous game I tried to participate, the whole game decended into an acrimonious debate with people leaving the game before turn 1 had even started.

I quite agree.

I think we could go with a rule stating that the "Courts of Anuire" is to be used for stuff that happens at your own court that you don't mind spread around to the rest of Anuire by word of mouth and rumour. Other players can participate if:
a) They're your neighbours with at least neutral relationship (enemies don't like talking to each other).
b) They are conducting an action or have an able assistant within your domain.
c) Your allies always have people at your court.

You may not use the "Courts of Anuire" forum to conduct discussions that would be the equivalent of diplomacy (unless it's actually a diplomacy action that you don't mind being public) or any other regent or court action (Decree f.ex.) - unless you're actually doing an action of that kind this turn.

You may not use the "Courts of Anuire" as a dispatch substitute. It takes place at your court and anyone who wishes to participate, needs a good reason to be present.

All information that is submitted in the "Courts of Anuire" is public. However, players should generally take reason into account. Example: Why would Tuornen know or care what goes on in the court of Coeranys?

Obviously this reduces the usefulness of the "Courts of Anuire" forum, but sharpens the realism. Focus that energy into dispatching those you have not spoken to yet.

Later edit: I decided to split this into a topic of it's own. Fire away with suggestions and opinions.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:53:39 PM by DM Jon »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
Re: Discussion on the proper use of "The Courts of Anuire" IC forum
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
For the purposes of the discussion here's what Bjørn entered as the descriptor field:

"Here you can post any IC chatter you'd like to share with the community. Feel free to have your envoy to another court engage in conversation with some other dignitaries for example."

There are a few useful pointers as to what Bjørn may have intended with this forum:

1. IC chatter you'd like to share.
2. Envoys to another court.

I think both of these point to an actual presence of characters at the court. Not discussions via dispatches. A diplomacy or adventuring aa is required.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
Re: Discussion on the proper use of "The Courts of Anuire" IC forum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:59:16 PM »
Now I'm thinking... You could use the forum to send out a general dispatch to others, but that is a rather costly endeavour demanding the expenditure of at least 1GB paying for the large amount of people needed to get the message around.

The Chamberlains message f.ex.