Author Topic: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)  (Read 59421 times)

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 6
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:04 AM »
The repairs to the ship are progressing well, once the parts arrive from the hive most of them will be able to be simply slotted into place.  Externally crews have been working at hacking away the ruins and rubble holding the ship to the ground.  Azrael is pleased, he would certainly rather do further checks on the ships systems before they try and activate them, but they should be able to take off not long after Maegon is on board.

Azrael has been probing the enginarium gently over the last few days in preparation for Maegon's arrival.  The warp taint that he detected initially seems to be gradually subsiding.  This somewhat implies that the daemon that was residing in the warp core may have moved.  While useful in the sense of making Azrael less concerned about the enginarium, this only reinforces his concerns about Lexander, even more so as his people seem to have lost sight of the space marine since yesterday.  Azrael has been maintaining tacit contact with Roldar and his scouts, who seem to have become somewhat distanced from Lexander and their brother marines, but he doesn't seem to know where the captain is either.

While he is musing as to where the Relictor captain might be he receives a call from Maegon
"Dear Magos, glad to hear you. I'm outside with Sergeant Kremiel of the Dark Angels and..."
"...Wulfen Hrothgar of the Space Wolves."
It seems that Maegon has met the leader of the Dark Angels, and if he is there with Hrothgar as well that implies the Dark Angels have friendly intentions for the time being at least.  Azrael isn't sure of the meaning of the 'wulfen' title Maegon used for Hrothgar, perhaps it is a specifically Space Wolf title and Maegon was having trouble remembering it.  Anyway that is unimportant.
"Inquisitor, it is good to hear from you, my people are predominantly centred around the infirmary, I suggest the three of you join us there."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:50:25 AM by Dragon Lord »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
Although you haven't seen him for a while, it is very likely that Lexander is on the ship's compact command deck.

Hrothgar and Kremiel aren't going to be best friends. Ever. But they haven't tired to kill one another either, which is a good sign. Unless they are just refraining from violence out of courtesy to Inq. Maegon.
DM Bjørn

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:06 AM »
Maegon, Hrothgar and Kremiel soon arrive in the infirmary area, along with a number of their followers.  There isn't really enough space for everyone, and the information Azrael is going to disclose is not really for general consumption in any case, Yelena and her group are under strict instructions not to spread the information.  As such Azrael leads the Inquisitor and the two marines to a side chamber where they can discuss in private.

Azrael considers the best way to approach the matter, and decides that, particularly given the presence of the two space marines, the direct approach is probably the best.

"The matter I wished to discuss with you is this:  I have strong reason to believe that there is, or perhaps more accurately there was, a daemonic entity residing in the warp core of this vessel."

As expected both of the space marines, who had been looking a little bored initially, both snapped to attention at that.

"Would you care to elaborate on that?" said Sergeant Kremiel, his tone indicating that elaborating wasn't really optional.  Hrothgar grunted his agreement, while Maegon merely watched intently.

Azrael related his initial detection of the warp taint while connected to the ship's systems, and then the confirmation of the presence of a daemon in the enginarium, specifically the warp core, by Elder Andross.
"The Elder has still not left his obfuscated sanctuary in the heart of the ship, probably a reasonable reaction if what he says is true.  What he said to Yelena matches with my own initial observations and my subsequent probings of the enginarium.  Furthermore, while I have not yet had the opportunity to speak with Andross personally, I have developed a good working relationship with the other squat crew and what I have gleaned from them is also in agreement."

Azrael pauses briefly before continuing.

"I have not directly inspected the warp core.  I do not have enough experience with daemonic entities to attempt such a thing, this is why I wanted the Inquisitor present.  I have however been gently probing peripheral systems around the enginarium, and while the warp taint is still strong, it is definitely ebbing.  This, combined with the apparent disappearance of the Emperor's Child known as Xerxes and the odd behaviour of Captain Lexander who is known to have been involved in fighting in the enginarium, leads me to believe that the daemon has left the warp core and may have possessed the captain."

With that Azrael stops to allow the space marines and the Inquisitor to respond.

[OOC: The assumption that the daemon is possessing Lexander seems reasonable.  Someone more experienced with daemonic entities might be able to guess from the strength of the taint in the enginarium that Lexander would be behaving a lot more oddly if he were actually under full possession, but Azrael isn't to know that]

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »
Maegon, Hrothgar and Kremiel soon arrive in the infirmary area, along with a number of their followers.

Despite being of the cold-hearted kind, Maegon is glad to meet Usher and his men again after those few long days.
Anyway, no time for rejoicing.
Tempus Fugit.

Azrael considers the best way to approach the matter, and decides that, particularly given the presence of the two space marines, the direct approach is probably the best.

"The matter I wished to discuss with you is this:  I have strong reason to believe that there is, or perhaps more accurately there was, a daemonic entity residing in the warp core of this vessel."

The Inquisitor blinks but stays silent.

Here we are.

He carefully listens to Azrael, with a strange feeling of déjà vu.
He saw fragments of all of that earlier, when he draw the Tarot. Not the whole picture, just piece of puzzles randomly flying in the Empyrean. 

"The Elder has still not left his obfuscated sanctuary in the heart of the ship, probably a reasonable reaction if what he says is true.  What he said to Yelena matches with my own initial observations and my subsequent probings of the enginarium.  Furthermore, while I have not yet had the opportunity to speak with Andross personally, I have developed a good working relationship with the other squat crew and what I have gleaned from them is also in agreement."

Azrael pauses briefly before continuing.

"I have not directly inspected the warp core.  I do not have enough experience with daemonic entities to attempt such a thing, this is why I wanted the Inquisitor present.  I have however been gently probing peripheral systems around the enginarium, and while the warp taint is still strong, it is definitely ebbing.  This, combined with the apparent disappearance of the Emperor's Child known as Xerxes and the odd behaviour of Captain Lexander who is known to have been involved in fighting in the enginarium, leads me to believe that the daemon has left the warp core and may have possessed the captain."

With that Azrael stops to allow the space marines and the Inquisitor to respond.

"A Daemon. Thank you for bringing this… matter… to our knowledge, Magos. You have been wise to avoid direction confrontation."

Maegon cannot give the excuse that he belonged to the Ordo Hereticus, not the Ordo Malleus, and has little experience of daemonic entities himself.

It would be wrong to bother his allies with such considerations. The situation is tense yet between both Space Marines. Even if their chapters are both bound to the Imperium, they are so different… But common threats and objectives can make them work hand in hand, with a deadly efficiency.

Furthermore, it would be wrong to tell that he is not familiar with creatures from the Warp. He knows some of them quite well. Anyway, more than most of the mortals know them. They whisper to him in his dreams and nightmares.

However, he does not know the specific entity on this ship and he is too weak for a direct confrontation, either physically or mentally.

"I am not surprised of such news, considering that we are on a voidship who belonged to Chaos Space Marines."

At these words, Maegon feels hate and anger grow in Hrothgar and Kremiel.

"But this voidship is ours now, or must become ours, if we want to leave this cursed planet, then travel with sufficient chances of survival. It would be insane to leave the atmosphere and join the void with a free Daemon on board. And I don’t speak of warp jumps."

The Inquisitor is sure that his interlocutors have already traveled through the Immaterium and know the inherent risks.

"The fact is… If the Daemon is bound to a mortal host, we have a chance to cut his link with the real world and send him back into the Warp."

Maegon is not entirely sure of that.
Both the ship and the planet are so tainted…

He looks at his allies.
Kremiel is frowning and stays silent, already considering tactical issues.
Hrothgar thinks slower but understands that a hard fight is likely to come. That pleases him.

"A daemon host ? I already fought possessed renegades in the past. I don’t care if it can’t bleed, I don’t care if it doesn’t feel pain. If my blade can tear it apart, pieces after pieces, it can be destroyed." says the Space Wolf with a fierce voice.

"Well said. Confidence is an essential quality to fight Daemons." Not overconfidence. "But first, we have to investigate."

Maegon turns toward Azrael.

"Magos, you know the ship better than us. What do you suggest ?"
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
"Magos, you know the ship better than us. What do you suggest?"

"Given my concerns regarding Captain Lexander I have had people watching him discreetly to keep me appraised of his whereabouts.  They have not had direct sight of him for a while, but it is likely he is on the command deck.  The small size of the command deck prevents them following him there without being detected, and he has not been observed elsewhere."

"When he entered the ship Lexander was accompanied by 8 further marines.  It is unclear how many of them survived whatever took place in the enginarium, but those that did are likely to still be with him.  In addition there is one further Relictor marine who suffered a jet pack failure during their assault on the ship and is still comatose in the infirmary, and a squad of scouts under the leadership of Roldar.  The scouts were outside with me during Lexander's assault on the ship, and since have become noticeably detached from the captain and somewhat withdrawn.  It is possible that, confronted with firm evidence that their captain has been possessed by a daemon, Roldar and the scouts may support us, but I cannot be certain."

Hrothgar makes a dismissive noise when Azrael mentions the scouts.  Clearly he either doesn't think the scouts can be trusted, doesn't care for them, or both.

Azrael has been pondering how they might use the ship to their advantage in dealing with Lexander.

"Presuming that Lexander is on the command deck that presents us with some difficulties.  The command deck is heavily fortified, and there are limits to my ability to override commands that originate there.  There is a way in which we might be able to use the command deck's fortification against it however.  In the event of an emergency the command deck has a dedicated backup circuit on the life-support system.  If we can mix a sufficiently potent toxin and introduce it to the command deck backup circuit, and then trigger an emergency lock-down of the ship, we might be able take out the Captain quickly and quietly, or at least render him insensate."

Sergeant Kremiel interjects, "That's fine in theory Magos, but if this Lexander and his marines have their helmets on the toxin wouldn't be able to get to them, and even if they don't it would have to be extremely fast acting to get them before they had a chance to react and put their helmets on if they didn't have them on already."

"That point had occurred to me, but given the high degree of damage sustained by their armour, I doubt that it is still effectively sealed to the external atmosphere.  Of course whatever entity is occupying the captain may make him resistant to such toxins as well, but it might at least incapacitate the other Relictor marines."

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
"That point had occurred to me, but given the high degree of damage sustained by their armour, I doubt that it is still effectively sealed to the external atmosphere.  Of course whatever entity is occupying the captain may make him resistant to such toxins as well, but it might at least incapacitate the other Relictor marines."

"You have a good point, Magos. Incapacitate the other Relictor marines would allow us focusing on Lexander and the Daemon. Dreadful opponents, for sure." intervenes Maegon. "However... do you know where to find such toxin ?"

"Sergeant Kremiel. How many plasma and melta weapons would you be able to deploy in this battle ? A storm of fire would be valued to weaken the Daemon and his host."

"Hrothgar. The more I consider the question, the more I think that you alone are strong and fierce enough to stand against Lexander in close combat. Do you feel ready for that ?"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:57:24 PM by LordPsycho »
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Kremiel: "If we take the weapons from the vehicles; quite a few. But firing anti-tank ordnance on such a cramped command deck? Not advisable."

Hrothgar: "I've yet to meat any man, beast, Astartes, xenos, or daemon-spawn that can stand against me in melee."
DM Bjørn

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »
"You have a good point, Magos. Incapacitate the other Relictor marines would allow us focusing on Lexander and the Daemon. Dreadful opponents, for sure." intervenes Maegon. "However... do you know where to find such toxin ?"

"You would be amazed at what one can do with the contents of a medicae facility," Azrael said with a slightly disturbing grin, "not to mention a few choice compounds from other areas of the ship."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »
Kremiel: "I would vehemently oppose any plot to poison a brother marine, even if their leader is under the influence of Chaos. For one it is dishonourable. And moreover you'd be surprised at the ability of the Astartes body to keep working, even if poisoned. Unless you're a fully versed Apothecary of the Legions?"
DM Bjørn

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #279 on: April 28, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
Are you with us or against us ?

"No melta guns, no poison... I understand your reluctance, Sergeant Kremiel. But please don't think of them as brother marines anymore. They are renegade now, like the World Eaters or Night Lords." drops Maegon.

The Inquisitor knows the old hatred between the Dark Angels and the Night Lords. He hopes that might help Kremiel to reconsider the present perspectives.

"But maybe have you thought of better tactics to take the bridge ?"

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
"No melta guns, no poison... I understand your reluctance, Sergeant Kremiel. But please don't think of them as brother marines anymore. They are renegade now, like the World Eaters or Night Lords." drops Maegon.

Azrael: "Quite so, I may not know much about daemons in comparison to the Inquisitor, but I do know they have no concept of honour.  While I may not be an Astartes Apothecary, I have face renegade marines before, and do know a few things about Astartes physiology, as does my Medicae, Irena.  In any case, I am open to alternatives if you have any suggestions."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:49 AM »
Hrothgar: "Honour is not a concept that applies to war. Only victory does. But the Dark Angel has a point - if we destroy the bridge, flying this thing will become difficult, if not impossible. We should try to lure the Marine to a position of our choosing, and then attack suddenly, and with overwhelming force."
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
Kremiel: "I object. Do we truly know what happened down in the enginarium? I've heard talk of a daemon, that is now gone. Could it not be that this Lexander was the one to banish it? Have you so little faith in the Astartes? Were there no witnesses, no one that can tall us what happened?"
DM Bjørn

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2014, 06:20:05 AM »
Hrothgar: "Honour is not a concept that applies to war. Only victory does. But the Dark Angel has a point - if we destroy the bridge, flying this thing will become difficult, if not impossible. We should try to lure the Marine to a position of our choosing, and then attack suddenly, and with overwhelming force."

Azrael: "I agree about the melta weapons, highly destructive weaponry on the bridge is not a particularly good idea."

Kremiel: "I object. Do we truly know what happened down in the enginarium? I've heard talk of a daemon, that is now gone. Could it not be that this Lexander was the one to banish it? Have you so little faith in the Astartes? Were there no witnesses, no one that can tall us what happened?"

Azrael looked slightly contemplative at that.

"Had Lexander banished the daemon that would not explain his current odd behaviour.  However I suppose it is not totally beyond the realms of possibility.  Maegon, would you be able to determine the whereabouts of the daemon or the level of warp presence on the bridge without us alerting Lexander?"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
Kremiel: "The Inquisitor has the authority to call him out of hiding. If he refuses, we'll know if he is a traitor or true."

Hrothgar: "Or I can call him out to a duel of champions. If he's a former captain of the Astartes, filled with daemonic rage, he'll come out of hiding."
DM Bjørn