Author Topic: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)  (Read 61182 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
"I'm in a spire of Kasr Hemshin, talking to you via an orbital communicator. A ship belonging to the Emperor's Children crashed near the Kasr, after being attacked by xenos fighters. Imperial and Renegade warbands are fighting inside and outside the ship. Xenos walkers are approaching..."

"We saw the ship go down Inquisitor and decide to investigate. We are currently fifteen minutes out from the crash site. Initiating reconnoitre mode upon approach. Preliminary engagement assessment to follow in eighteen minutes from...Mark. Ravenwing out."

On a whim you pull out the Tarot again. The query is the same as before.

The Daemon - Taking the shape of a black orb that shifts and pulses with inner light.
The Hulk - In the guise of a massive warship; barring the scale there is no denying its kinship to the Ner-gal fighters.
The Vile Serpent, the Six of Discordia - It replaces the Ten of Mandation. The image of an painfully handsome Space Marine. The name Xerxzes appears in stylized filigree upon his gorget. As you watch his visage turns dull and coarse.

With a start you realize that your time aestimate is off. The Ner'gal carrier-ship is either already here or not very far away.
DM Bjørn

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 6
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
The improvised bomb goes of with a satisfying bang. When the smoke dissipates a bit you can see that the servitor has been damaged, but not nearly as much as you had hoped. It spins on its auto-rotating spine, scanning for targets. Mercifully the spider-drone passes through the gauntlet, either undetected or outside the brute's engagement parameters.

Another explosion, of a different kind this time. The servitor's shielding is either damaged or incomplete to begin with, it freezes up and topples over. It won't last though; Azrael can feel it initiating a reboot. Before it can recover, however, the tech-priest is upon it, disabling it permanently without destroying it outright.

Usher and his three men are impressed.

"Well done, Magos !"

They move forward and shoot four crewmen coming behind the murder servitor.

"We gotta keep moving."

"We saw the ship go down Inquisitor and decide to investigate. We are currently fifteen minutes out from the crash site. Initiating reconnoitre mode upon approach. Preliminary engagement assessment to follow in eighteen minutes from...Mark. Ravenwing out."

"Good luck, Sergeant. Maegon out."

On a whim you pull out the Tarot again. The query is the same as before.

The Daemon - Taking the shape of a black orb that shifts and pulses with inner light.
The Hulk - In the guise of a massive warship; barring the scale there is no denying its kinship to the Ner-gal fighters.
The Vile Serpent, the Six of Discordia - It replaces the Ten of Mandation. The image of an painfully handsome Space Marine. The name Xerxzes appears in stylized filigree upon his gorget. As you watch his visage turns dull and coarse.

With a start you realize that your time aestimate is off. The Ner'gal carrier-ship is either already here or not very far away.

Maegon tries to contact Azrael, without success. Then he modifies the setting of the orbital communicator to broadcast a new loop on short range frequencies.

"To all survivors inside Kasr Hemshin. The Hive is condamned. Head to the Dalaman Gate. To all..."

There is a risk to attract hostiles together with Imperial citizens, but Maegon is ready to take it. If some people leave this planet under his leadership, rather keep the strong and lucky ones.

The Inquisitor leaves the communicator and hurries to join Nemus and the rest of the band.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:59:19 PM by LordPsycho »
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
"Well done, Magos !"

They move forward and shoot four crewmen coming behind the murder servitor.

"We gotta keep moving."

"Thank you.  It will take me a minute to extract the relevant codes from the servitor."

Azrael quickly got to work opening up the servitor to get at the circuits he needed.  The cavalier way in which he ripped its chest open may well have made some of the Spiders a little queasy.  While to Azrael, and indeed in the normally way to them too, the servitor is just a machine, it still looks largely human, and there is still blood as well as oil in such an operation.

Though he didn't have time to salvage anywhere near as much as he would like from the servitor Azrael extracted a few choice components while waiting for his cogitator unit to verify the identity codes as well as handing the Spiders a few of the undamaged armour plates to attach to Sam.

The codes verified he stood up again, "I have the identity codes I need, now we need to find a data shrine with a higher security level.  I suggest we go this way."

[OOC: Then I get have some fun with the Grid again!]

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Summary of current situation.

Enginarium

Xerxzes leaves the enginarium with two dead Relictors in tow. You do not think he means to return. He's either afraid of what the Grey Knights can do to him - a sobering thought indeed - or he's just being extra careful. Maybe both.

@Nouri & Cabal: Luliana and the rest of the Tenebrous Cabal - Worm included - hurries after him. Luliana puts on quite the sycophantic show, show the rest of you what happens to morals and personal integrity if you let yourself be seduces by chaos.

@Gaius: No sooner has Xerxzes left the building before Gaius' body reanimates. His face is drawn and gaunt, but otherwise he looks fine. Fine, if a little tense.

@Lexander & Marines: Xerxzes has pronounced Lexander his Champion and bid him defend the ship against any attack by the Grey Knights. To aid him he has his own warband of course, plus four squads of Xerzes mutant scum that are still left standing. The squads are a bit beat up and the men look confused and a bit demoralized.

Somewhere inside the ship

@Marine scouts: Looking for a way to the armoury, but not doing a great job about it.

@Azrael: Has scavenged some codes and an encrypted interface unit and is now looking for a suitable data shrine. He has a handful of people with him.

@Team 1: Has managed to secure a turret and has it working. Not enough firepower to damage shielded enemies. Under fire from titans.

@Team 2: Has gotten completely lost and is now conversion with a very small and old loremaster.

Outside the ship

Two of the enemy fighter craft have transformed into spider-like titans and are now marching against the ship. They are protected by powerful void shields when they are on the ground. They've fired on the ship, but not to destroy, only to disable - they are after something.

@Hrothgar: If preparing to assault one of the Ner'gal titans as it passes by some ruins that Azrael's men have rigged with explosives.

@Mixed units: There are some survivors hiding in the ruins along with some injured men. Plus Azrael still has his sniper/scout team out.

@The Scourge: Gaius' people are squatting down and trying hard to to be noticed by the approaching war-machines.

@Ravenwing: Spoke briefly to Azrael on the communicator. Claims to be an Imperial team inbound for the crash site. Truth or lie?

Kasr Hemshin

@Maegon: Has ordered his men to pack up and make ready to leave. Since they are in the middle of a scavenging operation this will take some time to arrange and it will be best to postpone the march until tomorrow.

Maegon has also set up an automatic transmission, calling for all survivors to get out of the hive.

@Grey Knights: Who knows.

OOC: Did I forget anything importnat?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:02:41 PM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
@Nouri & Cabal: Luliana follows the daemon out of the enginarium and towards a debarkation point. After a little while he stops and regards her.

"I appreciate you willingness to serve me little one, but I must decline your services. Where I go none of the living may follow - unless you're more powerful than I think you are?" He looks intently at Luliana. "Are you powerful enough to walk the Warp and remain of use to me? I think not. Go play with Lexander. Or take your Worm and flee before the Grey Knights come."

Somewhere not too far away you can feel the hull of the vessel shuddering as powerful energy pulses crash into the downed starship.

On a whim he adds: "If you wish to serve me, look for me on Bokiba-Bapas." A strange symbol appears on Luliana's chest.

OOC: The symbol grants a +1 bonus to Faith.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:56:30 PM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
@Gaius & Scourge: Gaius has come through the ordeal of possession reasonably intact. A combination of being a powerful psyker, inviting the daemon in and having it leave voluntarily after only a brief period. Gaius is not entirely untouched however, and his body feels weak and slow compared to before. Gaius' mind, however, has been beautifully illuminated.

Gaius can now rejoin the Scourge outside - or maybe invite them in. Organized resistance has more or less ended. And they can probably hurry inside without being seen by the Ner-gal fighter-titans. But maybe that's not such a great plan since the enemy is shooting at the ship...

OOC: -1 Prowess, +1 Cunning and +1 Faith.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
@Lexander & Relictors: The Xerxzes-daemon has announced that Lexander is his Champion and Proxy. Which probably means he's in charge of the ship (in so far as he's able or interested in asserting his right). Whatever he plans to do he probably should do something about the Ner'gal - otherwise there won't be anything left for the Grey Knights to carve up.

Of more immediate concern is 4 squads of good-quality troops; Xerxzes' remaining mutant warriors. They are poorly organized and not so well equipped, but they make up for it with bestial cunning and inhuman ferocity.

Elsewhere on the ship the scouts and their supporting troops have finally managed to make it to the main armoury. They haven't sustained any further losses, but of they are to assault and seize the armour it will cost them dearly as it is still well defended by multiple turrets, gun-servitors, and armsmen.

OOC: +1 Faith. The Tower of Silence now provides +1 Prowess and +2 Cunning (vs. mental effects) at all times. The bonus doubles if Lexander 'calls upon the darkness' (which is in essence a piece of the daemon possessing Xerxzes).
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
@Team anti-titans: For once the fates conspire to help, rather than hinder. One of the multi-legged war-machines walks practically just where you want it. No need to risk any men to draw its attention and lure it in.

Derryk's team fires - not at the shielded titan - but at the unstable ruins, causing them to collapse, just like you had hoped. There is rockrete dust everywhere, obscuring your vision of a moment, but you're pretty sure you saw the tell-tale signs of collapsing void shields before the dust cloud rose.

Hrothgar and his men are in position, as a Lukas' group. The snipers can do little good at the moment, so it's up to the Space Wolf and his men to close to melee range and try to plant explosives or force an entrance into the machines.

The second fighter-titan starts shooting at the only live target it can see; Derryck's turret.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
@Team Yelena: The elder nods and addresses Yelena in a surprisingly deep voice. "Apology accepted young one. I am Elder Andross, last of my clan's loremasters. This is our - or rather my - sanctuary. Where else would I be?"
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
@Team Azrael: Has managed to locate another data-shrine that he thinks will grant him access to the ship's grid again. Individual sub-systems will still have security, but at least you can access them now (as long as they are remotely accessible - not all systems are).
DM Bjørn

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
With Yelena
@Team Yelena: The elder nods and addresses Yelena in a surprisingly deep voice. "Apology accepted young one. I am Elder Andross, last of my clan's loremasters. This is our - or rather my - sanctuary. Where else would I be?"

"Greetings Elder Andross, I am Sergeant Yelena Calstis," Yelena replied, giving a slight curtsy as she did so, the Elder's voice had a certain air of authority about it, reminding her of her Grandfather.
"My phrasing was perhaps not quite accurate, what I meant rather is that we had not expected to find ourselves in your sanctuary.  If I am honest I must admit that we have become completely lost, we were looking for one of the turrets on the upper hull."

While Yelena and the Elder had been exchanging greetings the rest of the team had made their way into the room.  Olivar, who had quite a passion for books, was somewhat awestruck by the sight of the floor to ceiling bookshelves that covered most of the walls, it was by far the most books they had seen in the last few years.  He wandered slowly towards one of the walls and said, to no-one in particular, "You have quite a collection here."

With Derryck
Derryk's team fires - not at the shielded titan - but at the unstable ruins, causing them to collapse, just like you had hoped. There is rockrete dust everywhere, obscuring your vision of a moment, but you're pretty sure you saw the tell-tale signs of collapsing void shields before the dust cloud rose.

The atmosphere in the turret control room was tense as the ruins collapsed down on top of the titan, then Lukas's voice came over the vox and confirmed that the titan's shields were down.  A euphoric cheer went up from those assembled.
"Fantastic, but we can't get complacent, keep up fire on it, hit it while it's down," ordered Derryck, snapping everyone back to their duties.

The second fighter-titan starts shooting at the only live target it can see; Derryck's turret.

At that moment fire from the second construct slams into the hull of the ship around the turret.  Several of the power conduits and consoles explode and part of one of the walls buckles, the impact throwing everyone to the floor.

Derryck gets to his feet as quick as he can to survey the damage, he slammed into a pipe as he fell and it feels like he may have a broken rib.  Most of the lights have gone out and there are sparks sputtering across the control room.  One woman who was near one of the power conduits has serious burns down her right arm, and another man looks to have broken his.  That seemed to be the worst of it, but then he spotted a pair of boots sticking out from under a heavy piece of hull plating.  Derryck got down on the deck and flipped on his torch to take a look.  It confirmed the worst, dead.  At least it looked like the poor sod had died quickly.  Derryck did a quick run through of who had been in the control room, the boots belonged to Hal.  The analytic part of his mind said at least Hal hadn't been one of the best soldiers in the group, but he had been well liked and another death would hurt morale.  No time to think about that now though, not with fire still hitting the ship around them.

Derryck got up again and started shouting orders.
"Get those two out of here!", he gestured to the two with wounded arms.
"You three!," he yelled at another group, "Help me get this turret back round and locked into place on the downed construct, I want it firing to the end!"
"Everyone else clear the area, we'll join you as soon as the gun is firing."

They got the turret locked into position and firing and dashed out of the control room just as another salvo of fire started crashing into the hull.  They weren't going to be using this turret on the other construct, where in the hell was Yelena with the other one?

[OOC: I'll do Azrael later]

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
@Team Yelena: The elder, speaking to Olivar. "Yes, it's quite the collection. But then again the elders of this ship have spent quite a bit of time and effort to gather it. And Xerxzes has allowed us to continue with that after he took it upon himself to captain our vessel." So the old man has pretty good hearing. Turning to Yelena again and handing her several large printed charts showing the layout of the vessel. "These should help you immensely in that regard. I'll also deactivate my little maze device so you can actually leave my company. But I'm not so sure its the turrets you're after. Maybe you should go to the armoury instead? There are several weapons and devices there that could be of use against the enemy titans. But you must be quick, before they permanently cripple the ship." He pauses for a moment, then sighs heavily. "Or you could try to persuade Xerxzes to surrender to the aliens - it is him they are after, not the rest of us."
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
@Team Derryck: They manage to get the turret going again, but it is uncertain how long it will last against the enemy's energy barrage. The team shuts the door behind them, leaving their dead and retreat to the relative safety of the ship's interior. Where to now?
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
@Team anti-titans: Great success! With void shields down the enemy 'titan' proved to be a relatively fragile construct (compared to an Imperial titan of comparable size). Derrycks turret fire caused quite a bit of damage before the gun was shout out by the other enemy war-machine. The warriors under Hrothgar did the rest. At no small cost to themselves they swarmed the downed construct and destroyed or disabled several of its legs using explosive charges. The alien crew, about a dozen of them, tried to abandon their vessel, but were eliminated by the two Space Wolves supported with accurate sniper fire.

That leaves 'only' a single enemy titan. A titan that has taken up a superior position and eliminated all the functioning turrets facing it. The good news is that it has stopped firing at the ship. The bad news is that it is scanning the surrounding ruins and making ready to kill all of your left outside.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »
@Nouri & Cabal: "Replenish your cabal ad come find me witch," the daemons says. With a flash of reddish light the Xerxzes-thing is gone, taking its two dead Relictors with it.

With the daemon gone Kiltren studies the two leading sorcerers, Nouri and Luliana. Which is better suited to lead the warband? Nouri is the stronger sorcerer, but he is rash and might lead them all to their deaths. Luliana is weaker, but more cautious - and perhaps easier to control.

So which is it?
DM Bjørn