Author Topic: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)  (Read 59514 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
@Team Lexander: The Lector is still empowered by Chaos, as described previously.

Adorus is pretty much back to normal. A little worse for wear perhaps, having called upon the Orb several times.

Two of Lexander's marines are dead, but the one with the missing leg still lives, despite numerous additional injuries. The five combat-worthy marines are not in great shape either, injuries, low on ammo and with compromised suits.

You haven't heard from Roldar in a while, but is aware he's on the ship.

DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
@Team Xerxzes-daemon: The daemon moves to stand over the fallen Relictors. It clenches its power-armoured firsts and the two marines rise to fight once more. Xerxzes smiles as he pulls his obsidian blade from the eye-socket of one of the dead marines. "You shall have the honour of being the first members of my new bodyguard." The other dead marine fumbles a bit before finding his decapitated head. He picks it up and tucks it under his arm before retrieving his chainsword. It is as unsettling as it is bizarre.

He's about to leave with his warriors when he turns to Luliana: "That signal you sent. Who was it for? More allies?"
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
@Team Lukas: Through his scope Lukas can see the faint but tell-tale signs of active void shields protecting the walkers. Lukas has a bad feeling; those shields are probably a lot stronger than when the things are airborne...

As he watches one of the walkers fires a couple of short bursts of lascannon fire at the ship. Many of the shots go wide, but a fair number hit the hull. They do only superficial damage - the hull is too tough to penetrate with weapons like that. Surface fixtures - defensive turrets included - are not so well protected...

The other walker also opens fire. It becomes very clear to Lukas that the xenos are not out to destroy the Sensibilious, but mean to take her largely intact. That begs the question - what is on board that is so important they would risk destruction to get to it whole?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:12:19 AM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »
@Team Yelena: The group (about two squads worth of warriors?) has finally arrived in what they hope is the correct location. The final access portal is pried open and...half a dozen rifles are pointed at an old and wizened scribe that sits alone in a largish chamber filled with all manner of books, tomes, scrolls, datapads, and so forth. He's no taller than 1.5 Imperial metres and looks terribly frail beneath his robes.

He looks up at you and quickly dismisses a trio of autoqills. "Visitors? Do come in. Pardon me for not getting up - my legs are not what used to be." When he speaks he looks at you - you can clearly see he's go no eyeballs. Could he be some sort of astropath?
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
@Team Azrael: "Magos, we have movement in access-way 23-14." Azrael nods. He already knew of the approaching servitor. Not because he had seen or heard, but because he could feel the minute disturbances it made within the techno-matrix of the vessel as it moved. Its feet might be padded and its joints well oiled, but its other cybernetic parts were poorly shielded at best.

It's big and ugly. Possibly based on an ogryn frame. Heavily plated and armed with a rotating shot-cannon and a vicious looking chain-axe. Not something you wanted to tangle with in close quarters. A quick calculation reveals that the explosive charge may be too small to have the desired effect; additional measures may need to be taken to pacify the servitor.

(not 100% sure who's with Azrael or the other teams ATM, please list OOC in next post)
DM Bjørn

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
@Team Xerxzes-daemon: The daemon moves to stand over the fallen Relictors. It clenches its power-armoured firsts and the two marines rise to fight once more. Xerxzes smiles as he pulls his obsidian blade from the eye-socket of one of the dead marines. "You shall have the honour of being the first members of my new bodyguard." The other dead marine fumbles a bit before finding his decapitated head. He picks it up and tucks it under his arm before retrieving his chainsword. It is as unsettling as it is bizarre.

He's about to leave with his warriors when he turns to Luliana: "That signal you sent. Who was it for? More allies?"

Luliana bows deeply. "My Lord,  the gifts you bestow upon me are most benevolent for such a humble servant. I shall do everything to ensure your time here is fruitful for your cause, which I would gladly make my own, if you would deem my skills of further use to you," she says.

"With your blessing, I shall rob this heretic of his knowledge and once he is bleed dry, I shall, feast upon his essence," she says.  "Until then, he shall be known as the thrall, Worm - a fitting name for this creature that has been laid so low."

She turns to direct the other thralls in the binding ritual upon Nouri, now named Worm. A ritual made difficult my his might.

"No, my Lord, Worm help direct a beacon into the immaterium, with the intention of drawing the attention of the Grey Knight who assaulted the cabal here that now serves you," she says.

"When he interfered with it, I do not not know if they detected it," she concludes.  As silence lingers after her remarks, ominous series of clanging clunks in quick succession can be heard ringing through the ship from the roof.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:27:10 PM by DM B »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
The Xerxzes-daemon doesn't quite move as much as reality shifts to accommodate its new position. Now quite a teleportarium effect, but more akin to a warping of the local space-time. One moment he's a good distance away from Luliana - the next he's standing right next to her. "Grey Knights?" it says, sounding incredulous. "A Chaos sorcerer would call Grey Knights?" what kind of foolishness is this!?" He puts his jagged black dagger to Luliana's chest. "You lie, sorceress. Tell me the truth and I won't make you suffer."

Luliana, defiantly: "It is the truth lord. I know not what his plan was. He never told his thralls of his plans."

Xerxzes: "But it is immaterial; there are no Grey Knights on Cadia."

Luliana, more meekly: "But there is. When we used the Ritual of Passage to get out of the hive and come here...they sensed it and they attacked us. Half out number...dead in moments."

Xerxzes: "You do speak the truth woman. Insane though it may sound. I guess Worm is even more insane that most sorcerers." He looks like he would have liked to talk to Worm, but the former master of the Tenebrous Cabal is blissfully unconscious. "This changes things. I'll not have Grey Knights ruin my favourite host. Not after so many years of wanting to get it back. Lexander, attend me!"

The captain of the Relictors steps forward.

Xerxzes: "I leave you in charge here Lector. You are my champion and I fully expect you to stand up to the Grey Knights for as along as possible. When you have done so you have my permission to die; I shall watch for your soul in the Immaterium and we shall be reunited then. I will find you a suitable host so that you may continue to serve me."

He gestures to two unliving space marines. "Come my Death Knights. The Grey Knights are coming and I've a mind to be some place else when they arrive."

And with that the Xerxzes-daemon turns about face and leaves you, followed and flanked by two dead Relictors, one of them carrying his own head tucked under his arm.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »

After a few minutes, Maegon receives a half scrambled signal:

"grzzgzggzgzz...geant Kremiel of the Ravenw...zzvvggvrr....identi...grrzzzzvvrr...xenos vehi...zvnnnrrzzz"

As far as Maegon can tell the communicator is picking up an encrypted identification signal. Unfortunately it cannot process it properly because of the missing encryption/decryption module. Could it real loyalist marines out there, trying to verify your identity? Where are all the tech-priests when you really need them. Damnation!
DM Bjørn

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 6
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

After a few minutes, Maegon receives a half scrambled signal:

"grzzgzggzgzz...geant Kremiel of the Ravenw...zzvvggvrr....identi...grrzzzzvvrr...xenos vehi...zvnnnrrzzz"

As far as Maegon can tell the communicator is picking up an encrypted identification signal. Unfortunately it cannot process it properly because of the missing encryption/decryption module. Could it real loyalist marines out there, trying to verify your identity? Where are all the tech-priests when you really need them. Damnation!

"Fraaaaaak..."

The Inquisitor is tired. He tries to improve the transmission quality, without success.

"What a day..."

Suddenly, Maegon notices a drawer that he hadn't notice so far in the orbital communicator. The drawer opens with a simple push. Inside, he sees a soft black surface pierced with a silver central compartment.

"May it be ?..."

Driven by instinct, Maegon introduces his inquisitoral Rosette inside the compartment.
A new screen lights up.

"Oh, God-Emperor and all Powers That Be..."  :o

When his hands stop trembling nervously, the Inquisitor pulls his tarot to know what to do of this discovery...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:59:29 PM by LordPsycho »
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »
With Lukas/Derryck

Through his scope Lukas can see the faint but tell-tale signs of active void shields protecting the walkers. Lukas has a bad feeling; those shields are probably a lot stronger than when the things are airborne...

"Hrothgar, the Xenos have void shields!" warned Lukas.

Lukas was about to say more, but Uri, one of the snipers, spoke first, "Those ruins just to the West of the Western-most Xeno are very unstable.  You see that high wall jutting up out of the rubble?  It's on the verge of collapse, we planted a small explosive there earlier that should bring the whole thing down.  If we can lure the Xeno close to it then we should be able to crush it underneath the ruin."

"Well done Uri," congratulated Lukas, grateful for a bit of good news, "Did you get that Hrothgar?  We'll hit it with a few pot shots, try and draw it's attention, but you're better placed than us to lure it that way.  Derryck, when the explosive goes off hit the ruin as hard as you can, make sure we finish it off before it can get out and get it's void shield back up."

"I read you Lukas," replied Derryck, "but that last salvo was very close to our turret.  We're more protected down here below it at the controls, nothing more than a few minor cuts and bruises so far, but the turret itself is more vulnerable and I have no idea what the feth has happened to Yelena's team heading for the second one."

"Save your fire until we get the Xeno in position, there's no point risking the turret until we know it'll do some good," said Lukas.
"And then we'll have to think about what to do about the second one," he added quietly to himself.

With Yelena

He looks up at you and quickly dismisses a trio of autoqills. "Visitors? Do come in. Pardon me for not getting up - my legs are not what used to be." When he speaks he looks at you - you can clearly see he's go no eyeballs. Could he be some sort of astropath?
For a moment everyone just blinks and stares at the old man, then people begin to find their voices again.

"I swear this place just gets weirder and weirder," muttered Simon under his breath.
"Maybe next we'll find a pool," Ivan said quietly next to him.
"Who the feth is the short, grey bundle of twigs?" said Samael a little louder.
Yelena fixed Samael with a glare before speaking herself, "I apologise for the rudeness of my colleague, Elder, some people were clearly not brought up with proper respect.  He is surprised that is all, as I must admit are all of us, we were not expecting to find you here."

With Azrael

"Magos, we have movement in access-way 23-14."
Azrael nods, "It's a big one.  I'm surprised to find such a large murder servitor on a ship like this, but then the whole of the last few days have been full of unpleasant experiences.  I am slightly concerned that the grenades we set up may not be enough to kill it.  They should certainly take out it's legs, but we may need to finish it off.  Aim for the base of the neck, that will be a weak point, but stay well clear of it, until we put it completely out of action its weapons may still be dangerous."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:12:15 AM by Dragon Lord »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »

When his hands stop trembling nervously, the Inquisitor pulls his tarot to know what to do of this discovery...

A simple Imperator spread.

The Daemon. The forces of Chaos are involved, that's for sure. But the deeper signs elude you.

The Hulk. Signifying the voidship no doubt, but also that physical hardship - combat - awaits whomever wants to claim the vessel.

The Consul - the Ten of Mandatio. You require aid to be successful. The encryption unit in your hand will lead you to that aid. But you must be careful, for the path forward is narrow and fraught with danger.

Maegon slots the unit into the vacant slot and watches as the operating lights realign themselves. Second pass and the machine starts processing the incoming signal, it halts and queries for clearances codes. Again you present your Rosette. The machine resumes working.

Finally a voice can be heard, loud and clear: "This is Sergeant Kremiel of the Ravenwing. Do you read me Inquisitor Maegon?"
DM Bjørn

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
With Azrael

"Magos, we have movement in access-way 23-14."
Azrael nods, "It's a big one.  I'm surprised to find such a large murder servitor on a ship like this, but then the whole of the last few days have been full of unpleasant experiences.  I am slightly concerned that the grenades we set up may not be enough to kill it.  They should certainly take out it's legs, but we may need to finish it off.  Aim for the base of the neck, that will be a weak point, but stay well clear of it, until we put it completely out of action its weapons may still be dangerous."

"Alright." answers Usher darkly, while taking cover with his men, along the corridor.

Lasguns and grenades against such a monster ?... They are doomed, for sure.

"Magos, if you have plasma or melta weapons, it's time to use them..."

Driven by instinct, Maegon introduces his inquisitoral Rosette inside the compartment.
A new screen lights up.

"Oh, God-Emperor and all Powers That Be..."  :o

A simple Imperator spread.

The Daemon. The forces of Chaos are involved, that's for sure. But the deeper signs elude you.

The Hulk. Signifying the voidship no doubt, but also that physical hardship - combat - awaits whomever wants to claim the vessel.

The Consul - the Ten of Mandatio. You require aid to be successful. The encryption unit in your hand will lead you to that aid. But you must be careful, for the path forward is narrow and fraught with danger.

Maegon slots the unit into the vacant slot and watches as the operating lights realign themselves. Second pass and the machine starts processing the incoming signal, it halts and queries for clearances codes. Again you present your Rosette. The machine resumes working.

Finally a voice can be heard, loud and clear: "This is Sergeant Kremiel of the Ravenwing. Do you read me Inquisitor Maegon?"

"Sergeant Kremiel ! Glad to hear you. What are your force and position ?"

Kremiel gives his coordinates.

"Two Land Speeders, Tempest and Vengeance pattern. Five bikes. One Stormraven, two missiles left out of four. Position and situation, Inquisitor ?"

"I'm in a spire of Kasr Hemshin, talking to you via an orbital communicator. A ship belonging to the Emperor's Children crashed near the Kasr, after being attacked by xenos fighters. Imperial and Renegade warbands are fighting inside and outside the ship. Xenos walkers are approaching..."

And…

Maegon uses a relaxation technique to calm down. On the screen of the orbital communicator, he just saw a text message, a transcrypted Astropathic message from unknown origin. The message said that a giant vessel was currently traveling through the Immaterium and will reach Cadia in three days.

Good or bad omen, Maegon cannot tell. Since his arrival on Cadia in 995.M41, he studied the composition of Fleets fighting in the Gothic area. Imperial Fleets, then Chaos Fleets, then Xenos Fleets…

Blackstone Fortress ? The Planet Killer ? The Rock ? The Phalanx ? Necron Tomb Ship ? Eldar Craftworld ?

Something else ?

The Daemon.
The Hulk.
The Consul - the Ten of Mandatio.

Maegon restablishes a communication with his Interrogator, Nemus, to give and take some news.

"Reorganize the teams to stop building a base, but gather more resources. We leave the Hive as soon as possible."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:28:17 PM by LordPsycho »
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2013, 02:04:17 AM »
Luliana is no fool.

"Brave Lector, I look forward to news of your victory. We shall attend our Lords," she says and directs the Cabal to also make their exit, quickly behind Xerxzes-daemon. Kiltren grabs Worm for his mistress.

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
"Alright." answers Usher darkly, while taking cover with his men, along the corridor.

Lasguns and grenades against such a monster ?... They are doomed, for sure.

"Magos, if you have plasma or melta weapons, it's time to use them..."

"No such luck I'm afraid, I've never found any ammunition for this thing," Azrael says pulling out his plasma pistol.  He tosses the pistol slightly in his hand thoughtfully and then mutters quietly to himself, "Although, hmm...  It would be a shame to lose it, but under the circumstances..."

Still slightly lost in thought Azrael pulls out one of his little robotic spiders and turns it over in his hand before muttering to himself again, "Hmm.  Yes, that would work."

Turning back to Usher he says, "I may not have any ammunition for this pistol, but I can extract the projector unit and incorporate it into this cyber-spider.  The projector unit from a plasma weapon is designed to deliver an enormous electrical charge and it would be more than enough to overload the circuits of the servitor.  It may not actually destroy it, but it would certainly render it insensate for long enough for us to finish it off.  Unfortunately given the rather limited time we have the only way to do it is to detonate the projector, which will render the pistol completely useless, but then without ammunition it's pretty useless anyway."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »

Turning back to Usher he says, "I may not have any ammunition for this pistol, but I can extract the projector unit and incorporate it into this cyber-spider.  The projector unit from a plasma weapon is designed to deliver an enormous electrical charge and it would be more than enough to overload the circuits of the servitor.  It may not actually destroy it, but it would certainly render it insensate for long enough for us to finish it off.  Unfortunately given the rather limited time we have the only way to do it is to detonate the projector, which will render the pistol completely useless, but then without ammunition it's pretty useless anyway."

The group falls silent as the hulking servitor approaches the data-shrine. Azrael works as quickly as he can, turning the plasma pistol and cyber-spider into a device that will hopefully deal with the servitor.

The improvised bomb goes of with a satisfying bang. When the smoke dissipates a bit you can see that the servitor has been damaged, but not nearly as much as you had hoped. It spins on its auto-rotating spine, scanning for targets. Mercifully the spider-drone passes through the gauntlet, either undetected or outside the brute's engagement parameters.

Another explosion, of a different kind this time. The servitor's shielding is either damaged or incomplete to begin with, it freezes up and topples over. It won't last though; Azrael can feel it initiating a reboot. Before it can recover, however, the tech-priest is upon it, disabling it permanently without destroying it outright.
DM Bjørn