Author Topic: New Structure: Printing Press  (Read 6161 times)

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
New Structure: Printing Press
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »
Here is an idea I have been thinking about lately:

Printing Press: [Sovereign only or Guild only?] You build a typesetting factory, capable of publishing newspapers.

DDC: 15

Build Cost: 50 GBs

Upkeep: 1 GB / turn

Benefits: You gain a +2 bonus to Agitate within your domain (provinces that you rule directly, or through vassals).
You can ignore up to 1 lvl of modifiers in prosperity levels in the province where the Printing Press is built (in addition to any modifiers ignored by law holdings).

Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: New Structure: Printing Press
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »
I think I prefer not to play with the printing press though its not a big issue to me
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
There will be no printing press in the game.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
Its a major social engine - and by its nature difficult to control as people can build smaller versions and go pamphleteering - no notices nailed to my door thankyou!

I would go for a theaterhouse or Arena if you want an agitate boost as its more in keeping with the setting - and easier for one person to control.  I think I suggesting something similar in the thread I did on potential new structures.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
Its the bane of feudal power, suddenly even a commoner can afford to spread his insurrectionist ideas beyond the corruption of his own circles.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
Its the bane of feudal power, suddenly even a commoner can afford to spread his insurrectionist ideas beyond the corruption of his own circles.

worse, they can do it anonymously.   Without a press they have to go out and rabble rouse  - where they can be grabbed and beaten to a pulp by the guards.  With a printing press they can just post notices in the dark and run - and no one the wiser.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
The idea of a grand theatre is lovely - just think of all those downtime submissions with a summary of the new plays that teh Realm lord has served as patron for....
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »

True, but unlike Earth, all regents physically manifest powers/abilities and have a very clear connection to the land, thus it is not neccessarily a valid arguement.  Most of our rabble rousing occured because the nature of power was in question; it is far more difficult to deny what has clear manifestations.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

True, but unlike Earth, all regents physically manifest powers/abilities and have a very clear connection to the land, thus it is not neccessarily a valid arguement.  Most of our rabble rousing occured because the nature of power was in question; it is far more difficult to deny what has clear manifestations.

Even if they are generally not strong, there are many small bloodlines out there. There are more blooded people, that do not hold power, than there are nobles. Failed houses etc.

But yes, to a degree you are correct. But it Would change the political landscape in massive ways.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

See, I would argue that. For instance in the period of the English Civil war, when pamphleting and the printing press were probably at the height of it's political power, then miracles and divine mandate were still commonly excepted amongst the populace. And that is not uncommon in European history - a King's touch is listed in a number of medical texts as a healing power In fact King Charles I courtiers pressed him to hold public meetings where he allowed such to occur as it would reinforce his following... In a period of faith and before the enlightenment such ideas were common and could easily be argued as the source of concept of bloodlines as presented in Birthright
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
This no longer has any place in THIS board; move it to the OOC forum.
DM Bjørn