Author Topic: DO #61 mirror  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Gwall

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
DO #61 mirror
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
If Ilien doesn't point out I'd gladly step my foot in the door for the evil combination of the free city with the PCE  ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:44:38 AM by DM Jon »

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
DO mirror
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »
Ilien, for the record, is a vassal of Diemed these days, Gwall.  But it's still a great place to play.

Offline Gwall

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
DO mirror
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:23 PM »
Hell yeah, and that's even more interesting. A case of puppet to turn upside down with the puppeteer  ;D. Kidding, kidding of course, good lord Diem  ::).

Offline Gwall

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
DO mirror
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:42:43 AM »
Yeah, definitely went through the whole domain description a couple of time and even tho I have a hard time getting why the hell does a Mesirian sits on the free city "throne" and that neutrality is a tremendeous challenge to roleplay it sounds more fun than anything. I wonder what might be the "behind the scenes" treaties and such that hold Illien and I have quite a number of sweet ideas here and there on what might be done.

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
Re: DO mirror
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
I was actually just about to ask for this, to be moved into another thread... and lo an behold, our omnipresent DM is way ahead of me.
I'm certain Bjørn has Ilien pegged down, but it might perhaps be prudent to discuss the actual nature of Ilien and its claim to a Free City (see above).
I don't know if this should rather be done IC or OOC (Bjørn?) but I would gladly hear other oppinions (since this isn't the only occation where different intepretations have come up), I just thought that people should be aware that not everyone have the same thoughts on that matter, before settling on Ilien as a realm.

- Thorsten
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:14:30 AM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: DO mirror
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
You're most welcome  ;D

I'm going to see if I can move some of these comments into the Atlas of Aebrynis forum chain. That's where you should take this most interesting discussion.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: DO #61 mirror
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
Though the city of Ilien still considers itself free (and possibly neutral, though I think that is more the thought of others, and not Ilien itself), Ilien has been on the loosing side of a couple of war, straining quite a bit on it's neutrality. That, alongside the whole "vassal of Diemed" thing, would make me stop and consider before I did anything I thought I could push under the whole "Switzerland" concept. It *is* a vassal of Diem, and both he, and the Orthodoxy hold a bit of sway if not directly, then through Medoere and the RCS (who is the state faith).

As such (personally) I would take the whole "free city" concept with a grain of salt. Yes, it is still free in most circumstances, but free in matters of trade (as free as a semi-monopoly can be). I'm not certain, that someone escaping Diemean laws would find any respite in Ilien. Sure, the Ilineese Countess might try, but I feel rather certain that Diemed would be able to force it's will in, short of starting a war. And the countess would be aware, that going against the grain would seriously threaten her, as there is no buffer zone to be found in Medoere anymore, it's part of Diemed, and destabilize her realm... not really something I think any guilder (in any shape or size) would want without serious gain in the end. 

Of course, that is on the surface... there could be many many layers underneath  ;)
Just my two-pence.

- Thorsten

For reference I quoted Thorsten's post from another thread
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »
Heh, yeah... The DM's just moved that post there. It belongs in the PCE & Ilien section. Still, a penny for your thoughts on the matter (in the other thread found here.)

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
If Ilien doesn't point out I'd gladly step my foot in the door for the evil combination of the free city with the PCE  ::)

That sounds like a great idea.
After reviewing the data I hope to get a chance to play Mhoried. It seems like a realm with lots of possibilities.

Now all we have to do is wait for turn 61 to end and hopefully we will be given a chance to play. ^_^

Regards Linde
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline Gwall

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:55 AM »
You know I think I might be turmoil-excitable, this whole situation of unclear status of Ilien is tickeling me from the inside. What to do what to do how to defend its status as a free city? And the claim of a foreigner on an Anuirean barony alongside this situation? And NOW an adventure with undeads set in the place probably going to set chaos and unrest all over the place? MAN, I so much wish I would get to be involved in all that mess!!!  :o

And I definitely can't wait to see what is going to happen either I get a chance to play it or not.