Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 8790 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
What are you playing right now?
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »
In the spirit of the "What are you reading right now?" thread - a thread for us to chat about our (current) games, roleplaying or otherwise.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: What are you playing right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »
A always, the Sword Mage will lead by example (cough...)

Right now I'm playing Burning Wheel, a fantasy roleplaying game. We are wrapping up the last stages of a campaign we have been playing for the last year or so.
The players have gone from returning to their home village from a turbulent civil war, to going after the last remnants of the false king's rebels and squash the rebellion for good. It's been a great run, one of the best campaigns I've ever run. It is set in a slightly Greyhawk inspired setting, in a very Britain-ish setting, with the semi-mythical conflict of Prince John vs. King Lionheart at it's heart.
While we are wrapping that campaing, we are setting up the next.
It's going to be in a post-apocalyptic world, but instead of a technologically advanced society, it was a magically advanced society that fell. The players are going to be the leaders of an expedition, sent out by a surviving enclave to find magical knowledge and artifacts and bring them back. Somewhat fallout inspired, trying to draw on all sorts of post apocalyptic inspirations. So far we have an elven scholar, a disenchanted knight/commander, a formar templar of an evil empire, and a human mage for players. It'll hopefully be a blast - the game will center around their mission, meeting isolated communities, overcoming the hostile environment, and their internat issues as a group.

On the board gaming front, I played Cuba for the second time last monday. Nice game, very much like Puerto Rico and somewhat like Junta. It's a fairly exciting game, centered mostly around resource acquisition, but it lacks a little in the ability to hinder or attack other players - sort of like Puerto Rico :P
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »
Though I'm a huge fan of the 3.5 rules, my son and I have been trying out D&D 4E. It's been pretty fun, but definitely takes some getting used to with different marks, curses, shifts, pulls & slides.  Unlike 3.5 (for better or worse), 4E feels a little bit like some of the card games out there.  Still, it's been fun so far, so we will probably continue to play that once in a while.  For sure over the upcoming holiday break.

Greg
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »
DnD v.3.5 - BIRTHRIGHT  ;D

Have looked long and hard at 4E, but I haven't played it yet. I probably will at some point, but well, I'm not THAT impressed. When 3E came it was a great boon, with 4E it didn't really awaken any strong emotions. It's a game, and it's probably OK, but it's not brilliant and it ain't DnD...so...

DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
Let's see....

I run an irregular Ars Magica game fondly nicknamed "Orkney CSI" for what should be obvious reasons.

I am involved in running/staffing a couple of LRP fest systems, namely Maelstrom and Curious Pastimes.

I am writing a freeform campaign based on a mythical period of the crusades (1185 onwards).

I play WOW for silly evening and weekend fun.

And my son is just getting into warhammer (almost 5 years old) so I seem to be going to be teaching him how to play.

Oh, and I recently bought 4th ed D&D. And yes, it seems lacking slightly and more like a TCG than a roleplaying one. reminds me of.... TORG i think it was where you had special moves on cards.

His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »
Alas not much. As far as roleplaying goes, RoE is my last connection to the hobby I once long ago dedicated my life and soul to. :)

I play a variety of board games from time to time, but primarily a table-top wargame called Battleground Fantasy Warfare (which we just obtained a campaign system for :)), like Warhammer but with card instead of lead soldiers.

In the computer department... Fallout 3, first game I've played in months.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
I am playing -- Eternal Poison right now on the PS2.  I have a thing for SRPG (ever since the original Ogre Battle on SNES).
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
Playing a Mage: The Ascension game over the phone with a gaming group I moved away from recently - a group of inexperienced mages that are having to collectively take over authority over the Chicago area from an archmage who's been struck down and put in a coma.  WE've got "allies" who disagreed with him that are trying to take over authority from us, some particularly nasty mages who've moved into the area and are trying to dig out some things he buried a long time ago, and a protective magical shield holding back some nasty spirits that is due to collapse in another 6 months that we have to prepare for.  Busy game.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:02:04 PM »
Mage is actually my favorite of the WW games. Also have some fond memories of Vampire: Dark Ages
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
Europa Universalis 3: IN
Warhammer Online (just cancelled)
D&D Classic rules (the one with 36 levels and elf is a class, not a race) campaign
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »
D&D Classic rules (the one with 36 levels and elf is a class, not a race) campaign

That sooo cool! You have the compendium so that your elf can advance to 36th lvl?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »

That sooo cool! You have the compendium so that your elf can advance to 36th lvl?

That was the weirdest rule ever... Elves got... What was it? Letters after level 10? Fighting rank? Combat rank?

I have just about everything for Mystara back home (played it before I knew it was called Mystara, dumb name :). Great campaign realm!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
It was just called the Known World when I started playing. I think elves stopped at lvl 10, dwarves at 12 and halflings at 8...sort of sucked when humans could go to lvl 36!!!
DM Bjørn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »
ODD&D and Mystara were so nice...

I had also developed some rules to play BR in mystara but I actually didn't play them

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »

That was the weirdest rule ever... Elves got... What was it? Letters after level 10? Fighting rank? Combat rank?

letters...combat ranks were called....they ranged from A worst to K (IIRC) best...

combat ranks improved thac0