Author Topic: Unforeseen consequences  (Read 4555 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Unforeseen consequences
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »
Hello

I'm sure many of you have set some actions into motion, that when completed had a friendly comment from an advisor along the lines of "I think this is a really bad idea, but since you want it..."

And then have to suffer the consequences, as their comment arrives back with the DO, not during the process of making it.

Remembering also, that actual interaction with ones NPC court is very heavy in its pull on the DM's time, I wonder how to avoid such situations. Fx. I scouted my own lands for brigands and others that might have enemy units around. - Incidentially, this affronts my vassals. Huh.

But having sent a letter to each vassal explaining what the units task were, or asking them to report in, would have been a drain on the DM's.

So, how do you manage such situations?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Unforeseen consequences
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Sometime the DM just makes things difficult; instead of just coming up with new events out of the blue, I prefer to spin on something that already exists. It is better for me, at least, to make an event based on grumpy vassals because of something the player did (however innocent) then just make something up.

So, in effect its not so much something you could have avoided as a way for me to insert new event into the game.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »
LOL!  ;D

Well, I shall roll with the punches and like the sand rat I shall remain undaunted by any hardship.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
There is a lot of "s**t happens" sometimes in this.  Some of it is actual problems that stem from the limitations of the game. I've had actions misinterpreted because I didn't communicate well enough, and the timing didn't permit us to go back and revisit the error, so I had to eat the consequences.  I've had adventures where what the GMs needed to happen wasn't quite what I'd wanted to do, and I've had to accept the difference in order to keep things moving.  They're issues, but they're not ones that can be fixed in any kind of efficient way, so I try to accept them as the price of fun. 

And some of it is the DMs screwing with you, like Bjorn said, which you just have to take.  Remember that things that are hard are often more satisfying in the long run.  Swearing violently and throwing things often helps, too, and I get some catharsis through having my character act out my frustration sometimes.  ;) Remember, your regent is under no requirement to be so understanding.  Ranting and bitching and making people's lives miserable until you feel better is a noble's inherent privilege, after all!

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Yah, I mean... my nobles don't jump and applaud at my marriage to Swordmage. Of course, Herny VIII's nobles didn't applaud either, until a sufficient number of them tried to dull an axe with their necks... silly fools for not learning the laws of physics at a young age. Those that were educated enough, finally realized that the king is always right. :)

Now where did I put that crazed psychopath annihilator Green Knight... I'm sure some of my grumbling nobles would love to have him for dinner.... or is it the other way around, I wonder.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen