Author Topic: #69 Court in Elinie / Domineering Temple  (Read 12582 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: #68 Court in Elinie / Domineering Temple
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
Maester Kaleiman smoothly bows to the Patriarch.

High Hierophant al-Rasshad replies.

"Let it be so. We also ask that the Patriarch's wife attend, that the treaty may reflect the harmony of old."

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

"Let it be so. We also ask that the Patriarch's wife attend, that the treaty may reflect the harmony of old."

IC:

"That is an interesting request", replies the Amira-Zawja, apparently studying the face of Mohammad al-Rasshad, "particularly in light of the manner, in which the former treaty died."

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »

IC:

"That is an interesting request", replies the Amira-Zawja, apparently studying the face of Mohammad al-Rasshad, "particularly in light of the manner, in which the former treaty died."

IC:

Still directing her gaze upon the acting High Hierophant, Elamien continues, "But I will attend:  for I indicated, in winter, that Points East favours those, who eschew absurdity. . . ."

Turning her attention away from Mohammad, the Guildmaster looks, firstly, upon the Baron of Soilas; secondly, upon the Marquis of Chalse; lastly, upon the Count of Sendouras.  And says she, "I was under the impression, that other matter was also to be discussed, at this council.  So, I enquire:  is the nobility content?; or would any of its membres now speak?"

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »
The High Hierophant nods graciously at the Patriarch's wife.

"There has been decades, if not centuries, of peace between our domains. Strife will not change this. Elinie demands it.
It will be easy enough to rectify the damages done, if all work together in unison."

The nobles receive Elamien's words passively. Only Baron Khaiaren answers, a certain edge to his words.

"We do not believe there are other matters that need discussing. The nobility of Elinie stand united... Shoulder to shoulder behind the Patriarch."

The nobles all stand up, shoulder to shoulder, bowing slightly to the Patriarch. A picture of unison.
 The High Hierophant moves to stand with them.

"And the Life and Protection of Avanalae stand with all Elinie. We should not look at what was, but what will be. I urge the Patriarch to adjourn these proceedings, that we may continue in private with the details of a treaty."

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
Patriarch Rashid stand and gives a solemn nod to the nobles.

"Let it be so. Elinie is at peace. We are adjourned."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
And the crowd goes wild  :)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:58 AM »
The main actors retreat to the designated negotiation room, and for a time the many serfs, aides, bodyguards and other personnel have nothing to do but to wait upon the nobles of Elinie.

Then, after about an hour or two, High Hierophant al-Rasshad comes out of the negotiation room. His face white with rage.

Mere moments later, the Patriarch of Elinie comes into the hall and a veritable flurry of aides scatter to locate recipients of their verbal messages. The guards fall in and a dangerous tension is mounting as Rashid moves down the corridors with purposeful strides in search of his nobles, the High Marshal, Maester Kaleiman and the High Theurgist.

As either aides, sweating and worried, find their charges or they, the people sought, happen upon Rashid in his march, they are ushered quickly to the large stone minaret library of the Khaiarén mansion.

It is clear that the dealings have not gone well.

As they arrive in the large domed room, Rashid turns to those present and informs them flatly; "The LPA left the negotiations with the declaration that rebellion is next."

Then he waits, to see who shows up to hear the details. And whom it must be assumed, have joined the other wing wherever and however large it might be.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
The is quite a few surprised faces to see:

Marquis Rashid al-Rasshad: "What madness is this? My son assured me that he would do everything to find an amicable solution!"

Baron Blaede Khaiarén: "Be calm Marquis...but pray tell Patriarch, what has transpired that made this come to pass? It is as Rashid says - Mohammad was specifically instructed that he must reach an agreement with you. We were all in agreement - that past sins must be forgiven and forgotten if Elinie is again to stand strong. Yet clearly nothing of the sort has happened..."
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Rashid raises a hand to indicate he will speak when they lower their voices.

"The negotiations were going fine. We were reaching a point where we could sign a treaty beneficial for both LPA and Elinie, when one looks only at the numbers."

"However, I ask you now, in your instructions to Mohammad, did you tell him to answer 'no' to the question of LPA working to restore the prosperity of Elinie?"

"Did you ask him to say 'no' when I requested that the LPA work to restore Elinie to the stability her temperament will naturally gravitate towards?"

"Should I agree to commit Elinie to feed an entity that demands to paid excessively for services rendered, and feels no commitment to tend the garden we share? - If we are forced to write in a treaty what will be blessed and for what pay, then do we believe the LPA will go above base requirements of treaty, when we need them most?"

"Those worries led me to ask questions that were not meant for the treaty, and which were verily ignored until I spoke them with earnest anger."

"You gentlemen took to the LPA and bargained with the aggressor in a fight that was never just. You never once came to me to explain your view or plan for today."

"The Haelyn's Aegis demanded this hearing to be set up, yet when we begin, the LPA declares a solution and we go into yet more hidden talks."

"I ask now that we await the arrival of the High Marshal. Let this proceed in the open. I do not fear justice in these matters."

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
Marshal Riordian arrives, she wears her families colours discretely but proudly as is her habit.

"The High Marshal is currently in talks with the interim high hierophant.  The Aegis has previously discussed the terms that we would expect to be reached between state and faith with the Patriarch - he did not seem to be unreasonable, though such discussions were made before we brokered truce so that this meeting could be arranged in good faith and the LPA chose to instead break the truce and levy excommunication to seek to raise rebellion."

"The Aegis assures the nobles and Patriarch that we wish Elinie to be strong - to rebuild the damage caused by the Grey Duke, the rampaging nobles of Osoerde, to restore the realms spirits.  For this growth to occur a fair accord must be reached between Patriarch and LPA and such is our goal."

"It is most unfortunate that the discussions devolved into the most intricate and unnecessary of details and, it seems, faltered on triviality.  The nobles have done their part in convincing the LPA to step back from the precipice and we applaud them for their wisdom in doing so, understanding their need to explain certain facts to the LPA in private.  The Aegis will now do its part, and with luck matters will be resolved peaceably so that all can begin the rebuilding - if some petty details must be left until tempers cool later then so be it."

"Since we are now it seems fully involved in the negotiations, we would ask for the goodwill of all present in waiting while we talk to the LPA - which will hopefully not take long - and also in allowing any present to raise matter or grievance which could also be settled on other matters.  There has been much dispute and change in Elinie of late, and doubtless there are other matters beyond the dispute between LPA and the Patriarch which could well be settled whilst all are present."
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
"Thank you Marshal Riordian."

"Your words are exactly the kind of words I would have enjoyed to hear from the LPA."

"I cannot escape the fact that the LPA has betrayed Elinie on several occasions. Each time I have kept it private and endured the insults. This last time they unjustly excommunicated me!"

"And as freely the words of peaceful accord flow from your mouth, as freely does the LPA still require treaty and coin for even the slightest promise of service."

"You agreed the excommunication of I, the Patriarch, was unjust. I agree that creating the ArA was a mistake, yet it was born of desperation."

"I have no motivation to deal with the LPA at all. They can go upon their way but they will not be favored by my court. When the High Marshal arrives I will suggest that he take the ArA under his wing and the privileges of State Faith, for but one promise; That the ArA will be the primary temple within the borders of Elinie."

"I shall lift no hand to the LPA. I shall merely do nothing and time will do the rest."

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

IC:

“My husband”, says Elamien, “you must reconcile.

“Sign the accord, which I proposed.  It is simple; and its simplicity would allow you to observe the behaviour of the Life & Protection, during the recovery.  Would the temple go above and beyond the terms of treaty, toward the general prosperity?  Only time can tell; but I believe that the temple would:  for I refuse to believe that the Life & Protection, at core, be an evil organisation.

“However”, she adds, “there is evil in these lands.  And, in order to combat it, we need the support of the Life & Protection.  There is no escaping this reality; and time is not our ally.

“You know that I would never presume to command the Patriarch of Elinie.  Rather, I strongly urge you, now, to follow my advice:  cast away your pride,—howsoever righteous,—and reconcile.”

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »
"I will await the High Marshal and his talk with Mohammad to conclude."

The Patriarch visibly restrains himself from adding more.

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »

IC:

"Sadly, I lack your patience, on this day", replies Elamien.  "A great fault, I am sure."

She stands and leaves the library.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »
The High Marshal walks down in icy calm clearly furious.

"I have spoken with the interim high hierophant.  Sadly he was unwilling to reason.  He was absolutely unwilling to accept slightest fault, or any need to negotiate rather than demand.  He refused to discuss the terms offered by the Patriarch or others in detail, instead being adamant that I simply accept his statement that the terms were utterly unreasonable and swear to stand by him.  From the comments he did make, the requested terms made by the Patriarch did not seem unreasonable - surrender of a law holdings in exchange for the absorption of the ArA and forgiveness of all wrongs, sharing in the cost of rebuilding Elinie, such terms should have been expected by any entering negotiations - and should any terms have proved onerous in time they could have been corrected once the crisis had passed."

"I spoke, at length, to try to persuade him to reason.  To accept the hardships that the LPA had brought through its demands and refusal to negotiate fairly.  To understand the Patriarch's position and need for clarity that there would be future peace.  He refused to do so."

"I offered to aid him in agreeing fair terms if any that had been requested were overly harsh, my aid in supporting the LPA in its recovery while it was weak and unable to properly contribute, my aid in ensuring that Elinie was returned to prosperity and that the LPA stood proud beside the nobles in leading it there."

"He refused my aid.  He was utterly unwilling to discuss terms that accepted the nobility as a partners of the temples - only in accepting terms where the nobles must obey the orders given to them by the LPA and where the nobles must meet all the costs of the rebuilding with the LPA profiting from every transaction."

"So be it.  Haelyn demands that the temples advise and support, the nobles lead, such is the law and the way to prosperity.  The interim high hierophant has forfeited my aid."

Robhan pauses for a moment calming himself.

"The LPA has made many grievous errors of late."

"When Gerad sought to claim the Patriarch's crown and made claim against the Patriarch indicating he was tainted by Shadow, the LPA refused to settle matters with the simple step of testing the Patriarch's disputed purity.  I had the Patriarch tested, the rumours were false, he was pure, a simple task that any temple should have carried out with alacrity - why leave doubt?"

"When Osoerde sent troops to ravage and conquer the land that he might put Gerad as puppet on the throne and dominate you as Osoerde did before, the LPA refused to aid Elinie.  Its troops instead defended the former Marquis of Morcosoer, vassal to the invading Osoerde, and now revealed also as a puppet of Shadow in service to the Grey Duke.  Further the LPA denied Avani's blessing to the land in this time of trial, leaving her faithful to fight alone."

"Of the truth of these statements there is no doubt, all here felt the absence of the LPA in the war, all saw the savagery of Osoerde, Elinie bears the scars today.  All have seen how little the LPA has done to aid the land since, have seen how instead it has continued to assault the Patriarch.  These matters alone show that the LPA's claim to be wronged party in this dispute are false - no ruler could ignore such aid to their enemies and most would have reacted with far more than harsh words."

"I do not pretend to know all that has transpired or to deny that wrongs will have been committed on both sides, such is never the case.  But I do know that of the two only one has been proven false.  Last season I arranged truce between the Patriarch and LPA.  A truce in which they might discuss their differences and prepare for reconciliation this season as this meeting. The LPA broke the truce, the Patriarch held by his word."

Robhan pauses again, clearly unhappy, then resolute he speaks clearly.

* I hereby declare the alliance between Haelyn's Aegis and the LPA over.  We do not hold alliance with those who betray us and Haelyn's law, then demand from us that we accept their rightness and submit to their demands.

* I hereby declare the LPA heretic faith.  Banned from holding control of temples in the lands beholden to Haelyn through Haelyn's Aegis until they accept the right of nobility to rule in accordance with Haelyn's laws.

* I hereby declare the ArA the one true faith of Avani in these lands.  Let all those of Avani not enamoured of treason, treachery and deceit turn to them and away from the godless arrogance of the LPA.  May they turn swiftly that the damage is minimalised and the healing of Elinie can begin swiftly before its enemies gather against her.

"This was not the ending I had hoped for from this meeting, but it is the ending that the LPA has forced.  Should they relent from their refusal to negotiate an acceptable truce, and agree to work towards rebuilding not merely Avani's faith in the land, but also rebuilding the prosperity of her people, then I will speak to them warmly, not before."
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded