Author Topic: The Wraiths of Ilien  (Read 27261 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: The Wraiths of Ilien
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
The Sword Mage nods at Isilviere's words, then stretches out a hand. Usually when she channels her magic, she uses words and gestures, but for this only concentration is needed.

In front of the party, the path seems to change. Slowly at first, then faster. Small impeding terrain melts away while cover becomes more dense. A path is cleared, one that can be used to get to the harbour quickly without being seen and in time for an ambush. The path is covered with a spungy mold of sorts, absorbing all sound.

She simply whispers to the others: "This way." and then moves forward quickly, using the path to move quickly, easily, and silently.

[OOC: Woot, thought I never would get to use my good ol' Blood Spawn 2: Creatures of Light and Shadow. The Sword Mage definitely has a positive Seeming score - this is not her first time in the Shadow Realm.]
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
It's hard to tell in the poor light, but it appears to be five or six boats - of the kind used by larger vessels when sending men ashore - approaching the quay. You have good cover among the ruins of a low stone building, so there is little reason to fear being spotted ATM. Each boat could hold as many as twenty men. Soft voices carry across the water - they speak some foreign - but human - language that none of you are familiar with.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
"They move here, with too much ease for my liking!" Kaven comments, looking slightly at the Swordmage, as if his words included her as well."We will have to assume, that they are accustomed with the shadowrealm, and thus evil. Prepare the men. I will attempt to discern their nature, when they get closer. If they truly are as evil, as I suspect, we should strike as soon as the first boat lands, and disperse them quickly. Swordmage, could you target those further out, and leave the once already on ground to the swordsmen?"

(ooc: Detect Evil is only 60ft. are we close enough to do that, if they get ashore?)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
The High Prefect go down on his his knees hand folded

Praying to Haelyn for his divine guidance and inspiration Wallac Isilviere whispers:

All Father guide your children. I beseech you assist your servant and whisper to me – are these men evil? Are they in league with the Wraiths? If we are to have any chance at all we must strike first and hit them hard but I wish not to bring doom on good men on women. Strike first or wait?

[OOC waiting for 60 ft they get too close - the arcane arsenal of the word Mage should be used before they even reach the shore if at all possible]
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
"Take heed. The shadowrealm often plays tricks and doubles what the real world does. This might very well be a shadowparty to mimic our own, I have seen similar before."
He readies his sword.
"I say we strike when the first boat runs ashore, and press them against the shadowsea, with the mage targeting those boats further out, to delay or possibly sink them. Wet and tired men fight poorly, or not at all. See if we cannot take someone to question later. This will not be easy, but it can be done, Haelyn willing."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:46:30 AM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:58 AM »
Tristan nods in agreement, falling back to his position towards the rear and muttering what sound like curses under his breath as he counts the foe's numbers.  He continues to watch for any unexpected threats.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 07:07:13 AM »
OOC: Check this out

http://ruinsofempire.twilightpeaks.net/forums/index.php?topic=92.0

Detect evil detect true evil, the taint of shadow etc., not any evil alignment
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
[OOC: Bjørn realizing the short commings of Detect Evil I prayed to Haelyn for guideance as I did per above. Did that render any additional information or result in some sort of help?]
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:23 AM »
OOC: Check this out

http://ruinsofempire.twilightpeaks.net/forums/index.php?topic=92.0

Detect evil detect true evil, the taint of shadow etc., not any evil alignment

Another problem with using this spell in the SW is that the entire place reeks of evil (not everywhere, but enough to make things problematic most of the time - you definitely can't make out every little sinner).

Lastly there is the nature of the SW that it resists divination in general - illusions and spells that fool are enhanced, but divinations are more limited than usual.

Good SW spells: Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy
Bad SW spells: Conjuration, Divination, Evocation
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »
[OOC: Bjørn realizing the short commings of Detect Evil I prayed to Haelyn for guideance as I did per above. Did that render any additional information or result in some sort of help?]

The Allfather really doesn't say; he would never answer something as direct as attack first/not (that is for his mortal followers to decide - that's why they are there). That said you do get the impression that these men might be both evil, enemies of the Allfather in general and of Ilien in particular. That should make them YOUR enemies as well and perhaps an attack is warranted (but the Allfather isn't took keen on ambushes though - you should at least challenge them and give them the opportunity to explain/surrender; if you're going to be all LG and stuff).
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
Ooc: Kaven most certainly doesn't intend to stab them in the back during the dark, but will lift his voice in a cry to Haelyn and Ruornil both, as he approaches, to at least warn his foe of the direction of the attack. If he can press the tip of his sword against the foe, and subdue him, he will. But if they strike at him first, he won't just stand there.

Prisoners will be taken, if they surrender.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
It doesn't come to that anyway, for suddenly there is great commotion as the boats make ready to disembark the men - suddenly the water is being churned into spray, men are screaming, curses and commands are shouted and there are flashes of energy - it can only mean that there is at least one sorcerer among their number. Anyway, it is obvious that one or more spawn of shadow are attacking the boats (something from the water that you can't see).

A small group has made it onto the quay though, about 20 men. By the moonlight they appear to be buccaneers from some far-away land. A score heavily armed, but lightly armored men. Most are humans with very dark complexions, but there are a few large goblins among them. A trio in crimson robes stand out from the rest - two are busy aiding the men in the boats, terrible blue-white fire leap from their arms and into the dark below, earning them inhuman cries of main and rage in return. The last figure pulls down his hood, revealing a shaven and tooted head as his peers intently into the darkness (towards you).

The Sword Mage recognizes the robed men - disciples of the Red Wind.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
It is hard to tell who actually began the fight, but one moment everything is quiet, and the next crossbow bolts and arrows are flashing back and forth. The templars charge with the High Prefect and Baron Enlien in the van, cutting into the more lightly armored opponents. The enemy might outnumber you, but his attention is divide and he cannot bring his number to bear. In magic you are evenly matched - he might have three sorcerers, but you have several priests among your numbers.

In the end the enemy is defeated or taken captive - about half a dozen men and goblins are pulled from the water, bringing the total number of captives to ten. The enemy slain number about fourty, but more may have gone to the bottom of the harbor. You count four boats or the remains of four boats to be correct. There is no sign of the creatures that attacked the boats.

Some of the enemy might have gotten away - you can only account for two of the three disciples, and one or more boats might have gotten clear as well.

Your own dead number about a dozen, with an equal number of wounded. Lord Enlien has had three toes hacked of his left foot, but otherwise the named characters have done well (but you are low on magical resources now). 
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
"Be wary of the surroundings!" Kaven orders the survivors. "One of the tricksters got away, and he may lurk still."
He turns to Patriarch Baerelan and the High-Prefect. "I would ask that you tend to the wounded. If you cannot spare the divine aid, then at least aid with their bandages. Patriarch, do you sense that these are the souce you discovered?"

Limping, with a grimace on his face, Kaven walks in front of the line of prisoners, holding the tip of his bloodied sword in front of each in turn as he adresses them in a gruff voice.
"Do any of you speak our tongue? What where youre intentions here? What are your designs for Anuire?!"

ooc: Is there any sign of the ship that might have landed these boats?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:52:47 AM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

• Sovereign
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
"Lads those of you without serious wounds secure our perimeter. The rest please report to Archbishop Bellamie for healing. Do as Baron Kaven suggest and give some first aid to the prisoners as well”

Noting Kaven’s limp Wallac Isilviere turn his attention to him

“My good Kaven you seem to have suffered a grievous wound if not deadly. Do you want me to take a look at it?”

Rogal Destar, The High Prefect's personal assistance and a refugee from Kiergard, tries to repeat Kaven’s words in Low Brecht, High Brecht and then switch to a mix of the languages known to him from his long time on the run.

“Sprechen sie Brecht?”

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:27:11 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »