Author Topic: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien  (Read 25295 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 09:01:30 AM »
A thought: We have several clerics with us of high level.

Why no use "Hide from Undead" level 1 spel? 10 minuttes/level and the cleric can affect 1 person/level. Combine it with Death Ward lvl 4 for the major show down and I say our party have a rather good chance to succeed.

I mean IHH have 3 clerics present & RCS at the very least 1. The Swordmage and her magic missiles plus force spells combined with Baron Bellamie and I think we have an ok chance. Ok one or more of our characters can die but so it should be or the excitement would decrease a lot and without risk what honor can be won? (IHH is however not here for the honor)

Hide from undead is only certain to work against lesser undead and breaks as soon as you conduct some sort of hostile activity. Against higher undead, the intelligent kind, they at least get a saving throw. So hide from undead may protect you from skeletons, zombies and ghouls, but not easily from wraiths.

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
(though not as strong as some, I very much respect the RCS' experience with the shadow. They where a though bunch when I took them over (thanks, Rune?) and I nurtured that toughness. :P

That toughness and their determined goal to stay independant was exactly why I enjoyed playing the RCS even though I knew that it was only a matter of time before Diemed would swallow Medoere. To this day Suris Enlien is still my favorite character, and I have many times wished she could come back to the game. It's probably for the best that she hasn't though, since I consider her to be "my" character, and it would be sad to se her played by another player (and probably differently from me ;D).

While RoE has been fun after I played Medoere, I still have to admit that those turns were the best in the game for me.

Such fond memories ^^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:08:10 AM by SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune) »
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
(though not as strong as some, I very much respect the RCS' experience with the shadow. They where a though bunch when I took them over (thanks, Rune?) and I nurtured that toughness. :P

That toughness and their determined goal to stay independant was exactly why I enjoyed playing the RCS even though I knew that it was only a matter of time before Diemed would swallow Medoere. To this day Suris Enlien is still my favorite character, and I have many times wished she could come back to the game. It's probably for the best that she hasn't though, since I consider her to be "my" character, and it would be sad to se her played by another player (and probably differently from me ;D).

While RoE has been fun after I played Medoere, I still have to admit that those turns were the best in the game for me.

Such fond memories ^^

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that among the good guys of Anuire, those who may actually give that wartorn place a chance for survival, the Ruornites of Medoere count highest. They haven't wasted their time and precious resources trying to break free of Diemed, but spent it growing stronger and more capable in fighting the shadow. It was good to have them as allies in RoE I.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
On the matter of William Osoer being held back against his will by the Countess

OOC:
Assuming Wallac Isilviere survives the adventure he hopes the Countess seriously consider to set the Archduke free. Wallac Isilviere intends to walk directly to her Excellency once we are done and ask her politely one more time.

Should she refuse once again the High Prefect will be honor bound by his word given Osoer. His word to protect him while he was doing the work of Haelyns on by helping the Pontiff defeating the Wraiths. While Osoer never got the chance to actively pursue that task he never the less is in Ilien on behalf of the Pontiff to assist him defeating the Wraiths.

Upon hearing one more refusal from the Countess and especially if she again sets her own pride and need to teach Osoer humility before the need of the Innocent; before Wallac Isilviere’s word of honor, Before the interest of IHH and lastly before Divine Haelyn - should the Countess indeed persist Wallac Isilviere is to blow his horn signal; a signal that will be received at the Grand Cathedral and where the tolling Bells will sound carrying the order of Wallac Isilviere’s. Upon hearing that the Justicars of Haelyn's 5 lieutenants will open their sealed orders and Wallac Isilviere will keep his word of Honor or die trying.

Alan what’s your perception of this? If we decide Wallac Isilviere did not give his word of Honor above obviously will not happen but for the lack of shared assumptions between players, DM's and possible more important the MIA of Ilien player.

But Isilviere is one that take his word rather serious and especially when it comes to something like this
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:27:51 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
Looking in the directions of the screams, Kavens grips his sword tightly.
"I will have retribution for the souls of those that have been lost."

His jaw firmly set, Kaven studies the guides map, then lightly clasps his shoulder with a mailed fist.
"Your services are valued comrade. Now, please stop me, if I head in the wrong direction, but stay behind me... All of you, gather up and follow. We will find the source of this before long!" With those words, the Baron of Medoere takes point, and heads in the direction stated by the guide, back the way they came, peering into the darkness and offering up a prayer for the souls of the lost.The rest of the RCS men follow closely after their leader, emboldened by his apparent aura of determination

Sure thing we will follow the patriarch but do you mean that the RCS now form their own group and take the role of vanguard?
I thought that was why we had brought along the Knights of the Sun (ei. the bodyguards)

Regardless take us to the conclusion Bjørn - will we succeed or will we fail? Will one or more of us get killed in the process or horrible mutilated?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Hide from undead is only certain to work against lesser undead and breaks as soon as you conduct some sort of hostile activity. Against higher undead, the intelligent kind, they at least get a saving throw. So hide from undead may protect you from skeletons, zombies and ghouls, but not easily from wraiths.

If the Wraiths use the lesser undeads to scout/inform it help in that regard. Else the wraiths that fail their save can not see us and those that do will get dealt with accordingly. I may not meen complete hiding but it should help us a little

• Sovereign
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
My last post before Bjørn let us decide between seaharbor or Wraiths lair do not match very well. Am I allowed to change it a little?

Like from:
“Down there we must go. There we can hide no more. The time of reckoning has come. If we go down there no turning back will be possible; either we fail and succumb to the hordes or we succeed and crush the black heart of shadow”

Some deletion of last part and a small change
To:
“Down there we must go. There we can hide no more. The time of reckoning has come. If we go down there we will have to make a choice

a simple "yes/no" will do. If I hear nothing I just go a long and change as per above
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:56:39 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

• Sovereign
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
[OOC: Concerning the Red Wind I have a newbie question or two; what is the red Wind? Azrai of some sort, a terrible sorcerer-general?
Those men here are in league with that Azrai so assuming I am right they will be the Arch-Enemy of all good yes? - and still Haelyn Frowns upon ambush/first strike? If that is so my LG will not permit Wallac Isilviere an attack outright without propper challenge etc. Too bad but I for one am prepared to suffer the ultimate consequences for that]

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:18 AM »
Haelyn is many things - but in general a LG paladin/cleric of the Allfather will strive to be honorable; and that doesn't include ambushes. A priest of any other alignment wouldn't have such qualms.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
The Red Wind - One of the Lost, a sorcerer-general of Azrai.

Look in the old forum:

http://ruinsofempire.twilightpeaks.net/forums/index.php?topic=616.0
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Thanks for the concise reply and the link.

Concerning LG, perhaps I interpret the generally more lax alignment in RoE II a tad too far; giving a challenge and/or a fighting chance for the arch enemies was not how I thought it to be but I have taken note and will try to navigate with that in mind.

How about undead and monsters? If they are perceived as evil do I still hold back or is an ambush in that regard perceived as all right? I want to take the LG serious and would be glad if actions that contradict with that are promptly stopped when it slips

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Undead are to be smitten in any way possible, same goes for truly heinous monsters (but not 'bad people').

Clerics and paladins are supposed to be examples to other men, so for them alignment tends to be more extreme than for the common folk.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
The group's magic is depleted, you said - what do we have left that can harm the Wraiths if they attack?  Presumably the Swordmage's cloak, and maybe her weapon.  Any magic left to enchant weapons, any other magic weapons carried by PCs or Lieutenants?

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 03:53:11 PM »
The group's magic is depleted, you said - what do we have left that can harm the Wraiths if they attack?  Presumably the Swordmage's cloak, and maybe her weapon.  Any magic left to enchant weapons, any other magic weapons carried by PCs or Lieutenants?

And what holy water is left.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
Hmm, Ambushes on honourable foes are certainly out - but what about foes deemed 'beyond the pale' or 'beneath honour'.

So, for example, is trapping/ambushing 'mindless' creatures ok, is ambushing undead/demons ok?  Neither is even remotely going to come under the honourable enemy condition and both are generally considered destroyed/exterminated rather than murdered or even killed.

As a paladin I figure Robhan is at the ultimate extreme - if the enemy can think and talk he'll be openly challenging it like death-wishes are in fashion again, however historically once a crusade had been declared, excommunication levied, person was declared outlaw, then the usual civilised defenses they had against 'dishonourable combat' simply vanished.

A bit like the Geneva convention - if your enemy wears a uniform then they had numerous rights, if the enemy went mufti as spies then the gloves come off.  Similarly for armies which refused to wear uniforms - the protections their civilians had under the convention are seriously weakened.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded