Author Topic: Modernity versus medievalism  (Read 6047 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Modernity versus medievalism
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
I'm noting a certain modern approach on most of your behalf.

Don't forget this is a pre-rennaissance world, the nobles generally aren't enlightened humanists and their subjects certainly aren't. Lean too much towards a modern "open" way of viewing things and you might be in danger of stability loss.

A guy like Kaleiman is a wizard and member of the CoS. He's practically a heretic... It's only by reputation he's able to make such claims - and note he stays well clear of any direct insult to the gods.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:42:56 PM by DM Jon »

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Modernity versus medievalism
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Yes he better continue avoid insulting the gods or he will get burned on the stake lol
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
That's the spirit!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
Join the OIT, burn the witches!
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
Yeah medieval thought patterns! Feudalism! Slavery! Oaths! GODS! Heretics! Racism!

Oh and if you go and watch a Knight's Tale the single thing that bugs me about that movie is the sense of social mobility that is achieveable by him - "change your stars"

Arggghhh! That is the very very model of an exception and not the rule...

And yes, I know how ironic this is :)

But then again William the Conquerer spent most of his reign known as William the bastard, so there are always flaws in the models and sometimes you just have to accept that a person holds the position because they do, whatever your opinion of them   ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:27:56 PM by Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt) »
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
Yeah, Kaven is indeed leaning.. but that's building on the PS of Medoere with the goblins already in place, and peacefully so.
I, as a person, am assuming that Kaven already had these goblins in his consideration previously... besides, it's fun to debate  ;D

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
Likewise, I inherit a province level 3 of goblins... so obviously my Father made the decision to rule the vily little bastards.

If we were going to torch it all, we would not have built law, manors, temples and guilds to the degree they are. Sutren Hills is acutally looking quite neat.

In addition, Rashid is a Paladin of Avanalae, the goddess of reason, philosophy etc. To compound matters, he is not a martial man first, first he is a brainy charismatic guy, second he can handle himself in a fight.

If anyone could reasonably lean toward an original theory of carrot and stick, then Rashid is a good candidate to spawn a few "modern" thoughts.

Not that he is all kind and soft inside... Lawful yes... Good... no.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »
The carrot and stick approach is fine - and with plenty of other people around waving sticks Rashid can sit back and play good cop to reap the rewards of their service.  If the goblins step out of line he has a line of volunteers waiting to stomp them for him...

That said Kaleiman is saying some things that are useful even if he gets several points wrong :P so Robbie doesn't mind, besides as the baby brother he knows he'll never win an argument with his brother (who is clearly bonkers to serve Brandon 'kill me as a heretic now now' Boer) and needs other people talking to distract fraternal ire until he can get the family round a table in a quiet pub to chat things through unencumbered by politics...

Besides, we may need Kaleiman when the Warlock inevitably betrays the conclave, I'm all for burning wizards at the stake (without bothering to join up to obsolete philosophies first) but catching them is pretty difficult without help from another mage.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
  • Carilon Alam, Archduke of Alamie
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »
Just waiting for Niels to muster humanoid armies, and become the new Gorgon! :)
He will come to that, I am sure, given time enough (at least I would Muahahaha).

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
He will come to that, I am sure, given time enough (at least I would Muahahaha).

It's a cost:benefit analysis - right now they are useful tax fodder, but raising lots of troops would cause diplomatic problems, now if he waits for chaos to erupt and then ante's up with a goblin horde of cannon fodder then who will be in a position to complain about goblins dying in the place of god-fearing men?
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »

Well he IS a darkey you know... I hear those Khinasi eat Anuirean young! They're practically worse than the Gorgon - I heard.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »

Well he IS a darkey you know... I hear those Khinasi eat Anuirean young! They're practically worse than the Gorgon - I heard.

Rowr! - Pass the sauce!
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
And they never wash - that's why their skin is so dark  ::)

Did I remind you that the Dhesoneans are half-rjurik?  Naked savages that run wild in the woods and mate with wolves?

Sigh, I'm not sure I can handle a game that gets too realistic...
Robhan Khaiarén