Author Topic: Construction  (Read 11359 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Construction
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
The buildings from the regent guide are just examples; other buildings are possible, even buildings that help guilds.

When building something major like a cathedral I would:

- have at least +1 stability
- build it in a province with at least +2 prosperity
- ensure I have guild advantage working for me
- have a good court, say 6GBs

That's 6 points right there

- I would also make a nice action description for when I start the cathedral, to make sure I get the +2 bonus (that would carry over to subsequent free actions - no need for a new description each turn)
- I'd also ask the DM to allow me to hire a high-level expert to act as my Architect; if the DM is nice he'll allow me to hire him as a hireling that can only contribute to the building of the cathedral; granting a +2 bonus or some such.

That's 10 points total, and I can start taking 10.

Perhaps a bit difficult, but possible. Still, the DDC should perhaps be reduced to only 18 or the effects of the cathedral improved somewhat. Just note that this is a GRAND cathedral - not just an ordinary one - not every temple has one.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
Besides reducing DDC to 18 I think doing as suggested by Andy "lower maintenance (the extra tithes and donations would one hopes even out - the nobles should pay more if in a fancy shop church) than lower initial cost to keep them rare"

DDC 18 & 0 upkeep
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
0 Upkeep's unrealistic. Any grand structure is a major drain on finances unless you plan to let it crumble in on itself within a generation. Just look at Gaudi's Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Construction was started in 1887 and its scheduled to be finished by 2026. When I was there the locals told me that they were spending more money on maintenance than on further construction. Each year another fresco or statue or a part of the facade had to be restored.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:23:51 PM »
Yea, the benefit of the cathedral comes from the extra bonuses it gives.

It can definately generate an "income" even while costing upkeep.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »
1 GB is probably the base cost - any more and the effects would need to be very significant (not that I'm strapped or anything)

I'd note however that ideally you'd build the cathedral as a fort as well which would increase the maintenance cost sharply - like Durham where it was designed to protect the people against barbarians not just prove that the city was a glorious outpost of civilisation.  Not sure what the rules are for a building which also acts as a fort / castle.

On the DDC - if the local law holder doesn't support you, don't build something that big in their land.  With support the DDC should drop a little.  Similarly throwing in a few RP to knock it down to a 'take 10' position doesn't sound unreasonable - unless you need to check every single action.

I'd rather the cathederal protected against contests, boosted local agitate actions, or provided a boost to the court itself (like a 2e palace) but otherwise the cost doesn't seem too out of whack - although it seems expensive compared to the halls of justice which protect more valuable law holdings.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-OIT/Narvelon Diem-Avan

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
If holdings are fortified I think it includes grand structures as well as the generic law, temple etc holdings.
Cardinal Narvelon Diem-Avan
Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
Similarly throwing in a few RP to knock it down to a 'take 10' position doesn't sound unreasonable - unless you need to check every single action.

Take 10 only works if no influence is spent.  The moment influence enters play, from you or someone opposing/supporting you, you have to roll the dice.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 05:17:39 AM »
Similarly throwing in a few RP to knock it down to a 'take 10' position doesn't sound unreasonable - unless you need to check every single action.

Take 10 only works if no influence is spent.  The moment influence enters play, from you or someone opposing/supporting you, you have to roll the dice.

Quite true

• Sovereign
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
Besides reducing DDC to 18 I think doing as suggested by Andy "lower maintenance (the extra tithes and donations would one hopes even out - the nobles should pay more if in a fancy shop church) than lower initial cost to keep them rare"

DDC 18 & 0 upkeep

Thats assuming you pay 75 GB and get only those +2 on temple ruleholding.

If it works defensively as well I guess I can understand the upkeep of 1 GB
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
Can a Small Palace be upgraded to a Royal Palace?  And if so, would that be a new Construction action with a total cost of 10GB, or something different?

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:58 AM »

Can a Small Palace be upgraded to a Royal Palace?  And if so, would that be a new Construction action with a total cost of 10GB, or something different?

OoC:  I think that a small palace can be upgraded to a royal palace and that the cost of the upgrade is 10 GB.  However, I assume that one has to maintain the existing structure during the upgrade.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
Brandon is correct.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
Grand Cathedral:

As per rules page 88:
DDC 20, Cost 75 GB, upkeep 1 GB, get a +2 asset bonus on all Create holding (temple) and Rule holding (temple) actions.

Are that finale? There have been some debate but Bjørn have not said it is about to get changed. DDC 20 with instability and court max at 6 (due to province size of court loacation) is a real tough one to finish

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
Grand Cathedral:

As per rules page 88:
DDC 20, Cost 75 GB, upkeep 1 GB, get a +2 asset bonus on all Create holding (temple) and Rule holding (temple) actions.

Are that finale? There have been some debate but Bjørn have not said it is about to get changed. DDC 20 with instability and court max at 6 (due to province size of court loacation) is a real tough one to finish

DDC set to 18. I will also look at the cost/effect ratio and make a ruling later.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
Great and thanks for the highspeed reply on this one  :)