Author Topic: Player presentation  (Read 30768 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Player presentation
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
Hi,

This thread is open for all members of this forum (players or otherwise) who want to introduce themselves to the group.

As for myself - my name is Bjørn, and I'm the creator-DM of this thing/monster/game. I work all day (at the Center of Federal something-or-the other) and I sleep all night (at home with the missus and the kids). A right strapping fellow...except for my dark secret - my gaming hobby.

Even, who will hopefully join as a player, is my little brother (only he's taller and has a beard, so I can pass as his younger brother if need be, something which is looking to be even better as I grow older...). Even was also the Co-DM of RoE and Co-Designer for this thing.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
Re: Player presentation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
I'm Robert. I'm 30 years old and I'm an assistant at the department of medieval history at the University of Pula, and also a PhD student at CEU (Budapest). Funny thing is that two of my colleagues and I all share a similar background: gaming, metal/gothic/punk music (metal is me, the rest is them), and a love for history. My professional fields are signs and symbols, law and legal order, and social history, mostly of nobility. I guess its only natural that I love Birthright :)

I've been DMing tabletop Birthright (and Dark Sun) in the nineties, but my group fell apart around the year 2000 which is when I switched to BR PBEMS. I must have played in 30 PBEMs at least, 95% of which lasted for 1d4-1 turns. I've been here with RoE for a while, not as long as some true veterans but long enough to be certain that this is the only PBEM I'll be playing in the foreseable future (read: till retirement :)).
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-IHH (Murphy)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »
I'm Mike Murphy.  I'm a theatre technician, which means I do a little bit of everything.  I make lights, speakers, and video work together, and sometimes I hammer sets together (less common these days, thankfully).  I've been an avid fan of Birthright since it was unveiled at Gencon however many years ago.  I watched the end of RoE I (everything I read from it was fantastic), and I'm hoping to be a part of RoE II.

At the moment, my gaming group is in our GURPS stage (we alternate GURPS and a heavily house modded version of whatever the current D&D is every campaign.  We're currently a group of good aligned celestials plumbing the depths of the sixth layer of Carceri for a god who was banished.)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
I'm Thorsten. 23 years of age and currently studying to become a journalist (which is darn hard, i can tell you!)
I've been in various Birthrights, with various DM's, and loved 'em all for their diversity.  Joined RoE I in it's "end phase", as Baron Kaven Enlien of the RCS.

I'm a big fan of Birthright, and found that it often works better as a Pbem than a round-the-table pen & paper, and i look forward to RoE II with all that it brings.
I'm better with words, than with numbers and statistics (way better!) so i'm still not completely sure about turn-mechanics and such, but it gets clearer to me each time  ::)

I like playing the underdog, and thus often opt for smaller sized realms, than big and brawny ones (as long as i'm not as strong with turn-mechanics, that seems like a wise choice as well.)

Looking forward to playing with all of you.

Offline X-Ilien & PCE

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 2
  • Ex-Ilien & PCE
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
Hi, I'm Adrian and I'm new to this game. I've played few PBEMs in my time, mostly ones run by Derek and his merry little gang. I consider myself to be a noob and not too good at the game. Also, my roleplaying trully sucks.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this Iron Rider character, not sure where to ask about him. Never played a mage, so he or Sword Mage would be my choices.

I'm working in a tourist company in Zagreb for too long hours and don't have too much free time, but I hope I'll find some time to dedicate to this game.
Formerly
Geraldine el-Mesir
Countess of Ilien
Guildmistress of the PCE

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
The Iron Rider is an Osoerdan nobleman thought killed when Jaison Raenech rose to power. His identity remained secret for long, but he revealed himself to William Osoer (ex-Moergen) when he became the Archduke of Osoerde. Now he's the Court Mage of Osoerde and also a province ruler in his own right (a vassal of Tristan Bellamie, who is in turn a vassal of Osoer).

The Iron Rider was once an optimistic and outgoing man, but events around the time of the last battle against the Eyeless One turned his heart dark and brooding...and he no longer has that magical iron steed that was his hallmark.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
I'm Bobby Holtzclaw, an engineer in the US and fairly serious gamer.  I played in the last quarter of RoE I as Count (then Baron) Tristan Bellamie of Bellam and the Berendor Coasters.  I play a very different BR game IRL as well, but I got very attached to the style of RoE very quickly (and borrowed bits of it frequently).  I'm a serious number-cruncher (our tabletop game is tracked off of a spreadsheet I developed to keep up with our provinces, income, and regency) and a strong believer in in-character role-playing - though Bjorn has advised me that there are limits to the amount of non-productive babble he's willing to put up with from me before I get to the point.

I'm still deciding what I want to play this round, whether to try to get one of the heavies, try a mage, or stick with Tristan - he was my guilty pleasure last game, and is still pretty dear to me.

Offline X-Mhoired (Dan)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 5
  • Ex-Mhoried
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
Hello, my name is Dan, and I've been a fan of Birthright since it was originally released. I think it's the best setting TSR ever published, but I imagine that I'm preaching to the choir here.
  I'm 27 and live in Buffalo, NY, where I work in the banking industry, doing a little bit of everything (what a great way to put that theatre degree to use, eh?). With my original gaming group scattered across the globe, this seems like an exciting way to "feed the beast" of epic role-playing.
  Mhoried and Aerenwe were always intriguing realms for me: Aerenwe as the guardians of the Erebannien and its ancient secrets, and the Mhor as the rugged sentry of the highlands. The description of each in the Available Domains entry both sound interesting..
  I'm sure this must all take  a lot of work to maintain, so thank you Bjorn and Even for all of your efforts!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:57:31 AM by Tighmaevril »
Mhor Droene Kavarra, the Red Colt
Ruler of Mhoried, Lord of Shieldhaven & Highrock
Riding Towards Duty

Offline potentialplayer

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
Hello all. The name's Martijn Buijs from the Netherlands. I briefly played the Blood Skull Barony in the Rjurik Winds game and am currently playing Aerenwe in the Shadows of Empire game.

It would be fun though to take on another game, if such be permitted. Something different, of course. Perhaps I could play that Geraldine el-Mesire of Ilien - a source regent would be a change. As it happens I know a smattering of Arabic as well. Or I could pontificate at length as the IHH, which would be good fun. Or something else altogether. Let's see how things go over here.

Offline Kurenai

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
My resume isn't as believable as yours, I feel honoured to be in the presence of so many learned people and hope to learn from you as well as this experience.

I'm visited and lived in many great places.  :D

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
The good thing about a PBEM like Birthright is that it draws people across continents together, and creates a varied and colorful group, which in turn leads to interesting regents, both allies and antagonists :)
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Mhoired (Dan)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 5
  • Ex-Mhoried
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »
You said it, Robert! Eliminating the issues of both space and time (schedules and time zones be damned!) is part of what makes this concept so appealing. I've been trying to get involved in a Birtright PBeM for a while now, but this is the first time the stars seem to be aligning to make that a possibility.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:57:56 AM by Tighmaevril »
Mhor Droene Kavarra, the Red Colt
Ruler of Mhoried, Lord of Shieldhaven & Highrock
Riding Towards Duty

Offline Kurenai

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
Have one fear, this is cultural difference, one side will say something wonderful ultimately aweful. Verdant meadows aren't as colorful as before.  :-[

On fallow fields we seeded a Harrow, how lustful we were for Azrai and his bubbly laughter. You must have enjoyed our youthful grays. My forehead should touch the floor, be humble, you can show your infancy after that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:35:35 PM by Kurenai »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
Hi all, took me a while, but I finally found my way in here  ;D

Name's Jon, 31, your friendly co-DM. I'm from Denmark, live in Copenhagen, work in all sorts of venues (right now I'm an assistant accountant). I study history and english and just generally make certain to enjoy life!

I've played the OIT in the last quarter of ROE I and engineered the creation of the Conclave of Temples led by a Pontiff of all Anuire (presently the IHH holds that honour), so all things religious be my primary area of expertise.

I'll be helping Bjørn out this time around, answering all questions I can on Anuirean politics and playing the many NPCs out there. Use me freely, but be warned! I'll write your ears off ::)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 06:44:46 PM »
Use me freely, but be warned! I'll write your ears off ::)

What Jon forgot to mention is that he's actually Stephen King in disguise. He'll swamp you with a novel sized email if you don't stop him, and it will be well written too. So, you've been warned  :D