Author Topic: Turn #69 - Tribunal in Ilien  (Read 36600 times)

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
Re: Turn #69 - Tribunal in Ilien
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »
The Governor sighs, "I can take that as a yes then, you have never viewed this scum as a source of aid or comfort against your other foes?"
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
MC adds to governor's question looking at Geraldine: "You acknowleged recently, that Red Wind's followers fought on walls against attacking Diemans. Was that not helpful to you?"

Then as with an afterthought looking at other Tribunal members: "But I think we are a bit ahead here. While accepting help from heretics may be error and sin, it is not heresy itself, it is something far less grave. So I suggest we abandon that line for now to return to it another day."

OOC: I assume there are divinations employed that could let us know if Geraldine lies or is under influence of some spell. Am I right Bjorn?

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
The Governor shakes head, "I disagree and I will have an answer to my question.  With all due respect High Priestess I have a few more questions on this topic I will see answered, and I believe are quite germaine to the question at hand."
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
The Pontiff manages to look stern and bored and annoyed at the same time...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
"Governer, I was, and still am, faced with an enemy outside my walls who refuses to speak with me, who will only stop once he have broken me and my city. And you were under the impression that I would not hint to you a stronger defense than I had?"

Before the Governer can object to her question she continues:

"He have not been a comfort for me."

She pauses a little longer before she in a firm voice states:

"I deny any cooperation or alliance between me and the Red Wind or his church. I denounce his teachings as false. That he have tried to force his beliefs on my citizens is unforgivable.

And I pray that after this tribunal has ended, whatever the verdict, my citizens will be well protected from any further heretic influence. Be it from the Red Wind, his allies or his enemies."

She sighs.

"Your Holiness, it is bound to be a matter of great debate weather the unwished help of the greatest evil I have ever met is actually helpful to me.... I think any help given by such a vile creature is tainted by his desire for herecy. And as such it will never be as helpful as if he did not exist at all!"

"Now, Your Lordships and priests of the true Gods of Anuire.. Do you have any further questions that you wish for me to answer?"

(Crap I used wrong words.. I just corrected it)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:39:53 PM by Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde) »
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
Geraldine looks a bit tired after the long line of questioning

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
"I do."  The Governor replies.

"Countess, do you recall correspondence you sent to me, and in particular a missive you sent to me in reply to my direct question as to whether you were in league with the Red Wind?"  Pulling a sheet of paper out the Governor reads from it, "It begins,

"Governor, I am not in league with the Red Wind.- Do you recall it Countess?"

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Looking a bit puzzled: "Yes..."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
The Pontiff signals a halt.

Then proceeds to consult with a great book with charred covers.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:19 PM »
Wallac: "This leads nowhere. These lines of questioning have been covered already.

And Governor Vaumel - what is written in a letter to a foreign, and perhaps hostile power, does not in any way constitute proof of collusion with the Shadow.

Now, in case you have let your minds wander - to be guilt of the crime of corruption of the mind one must have aided or otherwise contributed to the cause of the Shadow, or engaged in other heretical behavior of sch severity as to be unforgivable.

This Tribunal should therefore ask itself two questions:

Question the first; did Geraldine here in any way aid or cooperate with the Shadow?

Question the second; if she did not, did she engage in other arch-heretical behavior.

Answering the first makes the second irrelevant, so let us focus on that first.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-WIT/Toreas Kharnmoin (Rune)

• the Nerdrager
  • Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 24
  • Archprelate Toreas Kharnmoin
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:40 PM »
The Archprelate rises, looking very displeased. With a stern look he waits until the room quiets down.

"I see that tribunals of faith are handled differently here on the South Coast, than what I am used to. Not only does the representative of the ETN and Governor Vaumel take the right to speak before a representative of a cardinal Haelynite temple, but the accused of such terrible crimes is allowed to retort in a most disrespectful way. I suggest you follow the advice of His Holiness the Pontiff, Countess, and answer your questions respectfully!"

"Now, I have several questions for you, Countess. As you seem unwilling to give a clear answer to the Governor, I will ask you this: Did you, or did you not, fight Archduke Diem, a known faithful Haelynite, and his allies, while at the same time not directly acting against the spread of the Red Wind in Ilien?"

"Also, I would like to know how it could be that Ser Estavan, who was captured by your men and placed under your guard and parole, was converted to the Red Wind's faith and fought by the side of your men, if you were not complicit in those actions?"
Toreas Kharnmoin
Pontiff of All Anuire
Archprelate of the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
"You, Toreas, will not speak when I have expresly asked for silence. Any further disrespect from you and we shall have the CJS reclaim its seat. Is that clear?"

Wallac continues:

Did Geraldine invite the Red Wind to Ilien? The evidence says no.

Did Geraldine invite the Satrap of Eusten here? The evidence says yes.

Did she know that the Satrap's Envoy would be the Red Wind? The evidence says no.

The list of evidence is long and we've already heard it read once. Must we hear it again? If you insist we will...

...but were it me I would look right to the end, and consider this:

Geraldine may have been guilty of suffering the Shadow to harbor under her rule...she could have spoken out or acted against the Red Wind. It would surely have cost her life and regency, but it could have been done. But then again it only holds true if one accepts that the Red Wind is an agent of the Shadow.

And I, for one, do not think he is. Deluded arch-heretic, yes, but not..."

The rest of the Pontiff's words are drowned out by a lot of human voices...
DM Bjørn

• the Nerdrager
  • Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
The Archprelate looks visibly stunned by the Pontiffs words. Disbelief shines in his eyes.
Toreas Kharnmoin
Pontiff of All Anuire

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
The Governor frowns, "With all due respect Your Holiness, I understand you do not get a vote as to guilt or innocence unless we six here are deadlocks.  As such I think each of us has the right to keep their counsel as to what is or is not relevant evidence."  Pausing for a moment, "I have agreed to sit for the Archduke and hold that duty in high regard.  I may owe you my life for what happened not a short time ago in Mieres, but it does not mean I will shirk my duty here."

• the Nerdrager
  • Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
The Archprelate, having recovered somewhat, rises again, and waits for the room to be silent. He faces the Pontiff:

"Did not His Holiness bring troops to Ilien, to bring down the weavings of the Red Wind, one of the Lost? Is His Holiness saying that the Lost are not agents of the Shadow?"
Toreas Kharnmoin
Pontiff of All Anuire