Author Topic: Helpful Hints for New Players from Old Players  (Read 5836 times)

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
Helpful Hints for New Players from Old Players
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
I am starting this thread for Old Players to add some words of wisdom for the new players,  or as some of us like to call them 'Virgins for the Sacrificial Altar that is Ruins of Empire'.

• Former players
  • Noble
Think Big -- Think Small -- Stay Focused
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »
As a new player, you will be tested in numerous ways.  Bjorn & Jon will put agendas in front of you, players will throw wrenches into your plans, and moreover all of us will be constantly competing and helping each other at every turn.

You must think big -- this is a game about domains, and as such the large picture is utterly critical.

You must think small -- in order to achieve the big goals, you will have to achieve numerous small goals.  Note a single agenda will be completable with a single action, normally they could take anywhere from 5+ actions.

Stay Focused -- you will get distracted and distractions will surely cost you some of your agendas -- but somethings those distractions can also give way to opportunities to fulfill other agendas.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:09:32 AM by Coeranys/Willam Deaulen (Gray) »

• Former players
  • Noble
Consequences
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »
The Laws of Physic are in play:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Make no doubt, that this is true in RoE -- but additionally -- sometimes you will get away with it.

• Former players
  • Noble
NPCs
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »
Ignore NPCs at your own risk.

Forget NPCs at your own risk.

Mistreat NPCs at your own risk.

They all know the same.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
Re: Helpful Hints for New Players from Old Players
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
Don't forget the importance of influence (RP/GB) which works a bit different from regular birthright. I won't get into mechanics as this will all be (is) in the regent guide, but its important not to forget to use it.

In regular PBEMs players tend to NOT use RPs for diplomacy between players ("Why bother if we agree"). Such behavior in RoE will cause the negotiations to end up in disaster. A regent who doesn't bother to convince his own followers of the necessity of a diplomatic initiative and lobby/bribe the other side's followers/advisors (i.e. spends GB/RP) can't expect it to succeed.

Same goes for decrees. Usually I would spend a reasonable amount of RP/GB on these actions according to how important the action was to me. The trick is that there's never a "set formula" for how much one should spend, so you should assess the situation and act accordingly.

As I mentioned in another thread, don't even daydream about huge stockpiles of regency and gold with which you shall trample your poorer neighbors. The bigger you are the more you'll have to spend on "insignificant actions" like diplomacy, intrigue etc. :)
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
Realm actions are much much different than regular BR.

Whereas in a regular setting Diemed could bring down Medoere in 2 turns by

1. create law, 2. create law, 3. create law, 1 realm contest, 2 realm contest.... BOOM

such a thing isn't possible in RoE. First of all, you don't get a +1/1RP ratio, which creates balance between an AN, major 50 and an An, minor 20, and secondly, for realm actions the basic difficulty increases by +1 for each other holding affected (in addition to having to spend a court action for each additional holding).

Thus, said Diem, having 3 law(0) against Medoere's Law (1)/(2)/3), would have a starting difficulty of 14/15/16 and he'd have to spend GB/RP for each one separately which would be very expensive :)

Therefore: take it slow and plan for your moves. If you can get other regents in the province (temples, guilds...) to support you you'll have a better chance of success than expecting to overwhelm your opponent with huge amounts of GB/RP

Oh, and I forgot... Contesting a holding doesn't neutralize it like in vanilla, it reduces it by one level only!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:36:33 PM by Roesone/ARR (Robert) »
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Great idea. Let me chip in with a few of my experiences.

1. Get that lieutenant up and running first thing. An extra action is an extra action.

2. Get that economy on tracks. First: Create those henchmen that'll run your administrator posts. Every time you spent GBs you get some of it back. Make certain that you spend two court actions each turn hiring and promoting your aa's, followers and henchmen. They're worth it!

Second: A penny saved is a penny earnt, each and every GB you could spend on boosting your success chances in f.ex. a rule holding action, can be reduced by your regent spending diplomacy, adventure or the like to make the other regents of your area happy and cooperative (the OIT used agitate alot to keep Diemed happy and Diem's juggernaut running unimpeded).
 If another regent supports you - basically a situation you can create through the rigorous use of diplomacy - you can net a +2 bonus to alot of actions.
 Furthermore, your able assistants, henchmen and followers can in some cases add a +2 bonus to certain actions as well. Just send them on an adventure to support whatever action you're taking - but be ready to take the consequences though, your NPCs aren't immortal.

Third: Castles, forts and military. Remember to place them on reserve or garrison whenever you have the chance. They're still able to defend when on garrison duty and if you believe your rear protected, you can place your castle on reserve. This all saves GBs.

Fourth: Spend your RPs liberally if you can. They aren't nearly worth as much as vanilla RoE, but you need the GB more than the RP (unless you're a priest or a wiz, then you probably won't be spending them for much else) Only reserve them to prepare an upgrade in bloodline (forget it... In three years of RoE I raised my RP by three points. Once per three turns is average I guess.)

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
From my experience

1) Roleplay - it will get you into some trouble, but get you out of more. RP your socks off, both towards NPC's and other PC's, even if it ois just being rude.

2) Roleplay - no really.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
Seriously, Role-play.

Many of the veteren RoE players, often are 'forced' to actions that they know probably are not the 'best' action, but they do it, because it is fitting for the domain & regent.

With the focus turning away from regent-heros, the character, style and alignment of the domain will be critical to you.  Remember what may be acceptable to a regent, is not neccessarily palpable to the domain.

Very Important to remember this.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

• Former players
  • Noble
Get Acquainted to Your History...
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »
Returning New Players -- and -- Newbies -- it is very wise to get acquainted with the history of your realm because Bjorn has a very good memory.

The actions, alliances, harsh words, subtle kiss and the things other players spent their time and efforts on, WILL SURELY have an effect and affect on your domain.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Get Acquainted to Your History...
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »
Returning New Players -- and -- Newbies -- it is very wise to get acquainted with the history of your realm because Bjorn has a very good memory.

The actions, alliances, harsh words, subtle kiss and the things other players spent their time and efforts on, WILL SURELY have an effect and affect on your domain.

This is true - to a cerrtain extent. But this is a NEW game, not a coninuation of the old, so it neither expected nor wanted for players to get too hung up on the  details of the previous game. The campaign background and the domain descriptions are sufficient. No old status reports, domain orders or e-mails will be sent out.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
Also... Events have a way of cascading, because no regent idley stands by.  news and gossip of your deeds spread far and wide, and nobody carries a neutral opinion about them.  ;)
--Archduke Diemed

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Also... Events have a way of cascading, because no regent idley stands by.  news and gossip of your deeds spread far and wide, and nobody carries a neutral opinion about them.  ;)

Especially the Status Report  ;D
 I don't think there's a document in existence that I've been more angry at...