Author Topic: Coats of Arms  (Read 5256 times)

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
Coats of Arms
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
So, I sort of put together a nice coat of arms for KoH, but I was thinking about Endier.

Would Endier even have a coat of arms?

Medieval rulers had a banner for themselves, and that was their banner, was it not?

So, Endier would have no banner, but as a member of the Nichaleir clan, I might have a banner (closely related to that of other Nichaleirs) that would be the banner of Endier.  Does that sound right to everyone?

The "City" of endier would probably have its own banner, however, wouldn't it?
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Coats of Arms
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
The province of Endier does have a coat of arms. But you could of course have your own personal set of arms; unifying you Nichaleir anscestry, Dieman overloardship, ruelrship of Endier and mastery of the KoH...
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
From BR.net
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
I don't get it.  endeir was carved from the goblin-infested spiderfell.  It is now a trader-haven, why the sun?

I mean, 3 coins on a forest background would make more sense.

But domains do have flags, seperate from their rulers.  The lord of Avanil uses the same flag, be he of Avan stock or Daulton stock?
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »
Not really no, but I found these province/realm shields on BR. net, and they were easy to steal.

In reality every noble with a right to bear arms should have his own - though I suppose we could keep the idea that each province also has an associated symbol - so for Guy I could suggest a quartered shield that combines Endier (you can make your own, don't need to keep the one I found), the KoH, Diemed and Nichaleir. Something like that.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »
I don't get it.  endeir was carved from the goblin-infested spiderfell.  It is now a trader-haven, why the sun?

I mean, 3 coins on a forest background would make more sense.

But domains do have flags, seperate from their rulers.  The lord of Avanil uses the same flag, be he of Avan stock or Daulton stock?

Kalien has only been ruler briefly in the standard timeline, the shield thus probably refers to the original arms which have yet to be replaced - as an upstart brecht Kalien is presumably having trouble getting the heralds to accept new stitchwork, if they make it up expect a prominent allusion to treachery...

As for why the Endier family had a sun, using a spider would have the wrong image - they are a joyous realm of sun and light, not a spider infested hell-hole, no sir, no spiders here....

Alternatively Ken was shuffling stuff randomly when he made the shield and the sun landed on endier - it could I suppose have an offshoot from the diemen arms but I'd expect them to want to be differenced.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded