Author Topic: Regarding Goblins  (Read 9880 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Regarding Goblins
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta has reserved a chamber to discuss the topic "Goblins as citizens, challenges of modern realms." Rashid is the Duke of Elinie, and along with Mhoried, Osoerde and several other regents, he has holdings in the goblin realm of Markazor - As the meeting begins, he starts with the following;

"By the Grace of Haelyn, the human race have expanded everywhere, across the surface of Cerilia. We have had dealings with dwarves, elves and halflings and these races have integrated into our realms and live peacefully in mutual understanding.

The orogs are beasts with a culture steeped in violence, too far gone for peaceful relations. The goblins have historically been treated as pests, vermin to be driven out or destroyed.

However, with the taming of Markazor, goblins now swear fealthy to human masters and present us with a conundrum aswell as an opportunity.

This is the reason for this meeting here today. A noble is obliged to protect his people from the predations of monsters, but when the "people" are what passed for monsters, mere years ago, what then, does the good regent do?"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:49:00 AM by DM Bjørn »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Regarding Goblins
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
OoC: Turn 62 & the S&C hasn't started yet. Do this as a dispatch or use the Courts of Anuire.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »
My apologies!  :)

I will withdraw my post until the S&C is officially opened.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:11 PM »
Super, no harm in preparing the way eh. But there is actually a forum wherein you nobles are welcome to mingle. Just send a rep to speak for you.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
IC thread reopened.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »
The Sword Mage is the first to speak up. In this meeting, and for most of the S&C, she is not wearing her mask or robe of blades. A young man is also accompanying her, constantly by her side and talking with her in-between sessions.

She speaks, her voice clear and easily carried across the room.

"I know this matter has been discussed earlier, I do not usually interfere in other's realms unless asked to... so I have remained silent. However, since you ask, I will give my opinion."

She glances around, perhaps seeing if anyone will challenge her right?

"Goblins are hardly monsters. They are often harmful and barbaric, yes, but nothing indicates that they do not have some potential for living in other ways. There has been peaceful relations with goblin realms in Anuirea's past, no reason to think it cannot happen again. What I think is important, is that you show that you can control them. Currently the Goblins of your province have acquired a reputation as raiders of nearby provinces. Control them and make them respect their neighbour's borders - that will be a huge step."

She falls silent, awaiting comments or responses from others.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
Sir Guy de Nichalier nods in agreement at the words of the Sword Mage, then rises to speak.

"I know for some this is an emotional issue.  I have lost friends to goblins.  But rather then try with our mortal wisdom to decipher the answer to this most excellent question raised by the Noble Patriarch, I propose the answer lies in the "Book of Laws."  Surely there are scholars of that most holy book in our presence here today?"
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
The baron of Roesone, Arvour Raemel joins in on the conversation. The baron's mercenary past is well known among the peers of Anuire as is his dedication to Cuiraecen after having taken the mantle of paladinhood.

"Ladies and lords of Anuire. I will be the first to say that never have I met a goblin that wasn't trying to end my life. As you can see, they haven't succeeded..." with a slight grin he adds "yet."

"And I've killed more than my fair share of their ilk and I expect to kill many more in the days to come, defending the borders of Roesone from the minions of the Spider. Why, just last season I was chasing after a particularly cunning group that managed to get past my guards by employing a ruse much more sophisticated than we usually consider the goblins capable of."

"What I mean is that I've had plenty of chances to see with my own eyes that they are an intelligent breed of pests."

He looks at the duchess of Tornilen and offers a polite nod

"But the fair lady of Tornilen is not wrong in assuming that they might be capable of something bigger. Cuiraecen teaches us that a show of strength, albeit tempered by wisdom and restraint, can curb an opponent's ambition. I see no reason why this wouldn't work with goblins."

"I am not wise enough myself to judge whether goblins have a soul or whether their evil is inherent or merely thrust upon them, but I would not judge a regent for trying to contain the goblins with methods other than butchery, as long as that regent accepts the responsibility for the safety of his human subjects and ensures that they do not come to harm from these... civilized and obedient goblins"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:01:49 PM by Roesone/ARR (Robert) »
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:12:59 AM »
Duchess Laela Flaertes of Tuornen takes a small step closer to the debaters, greet each silently and discreetly wait for each to acknowledge Her gesture that She would wish to speak.

“An truly impressively balanced statement from the Baron of Roesone. Your words speak of the hope for real peace and security through Justice. Strength guided by equal wisdom and vision. 

We will do well to not involve Ourselves between such titans as are present for the deliberation on this matter. Goblins bother Us little for We suffer worse dangers. But We follow these deliberation closely just the same as the principles at stake may influence fare and wide.

We fully admit, and claim the right for personal pride in that We are not solely of human decent. But Our realm is human, and thus are We on the side of humankind in any and all matters.

Thus in the deliberation on this matter of goblins We see with joy and some admiration that even the good Baron, as One that has faced the evil of goblins, and their danger, and still do, even the Baron can keep such tempered and balanced a view.

We are in some measure humbled by Your wisdom Baron.”

The baron of Roesone, Arvour Raemel joins in on the conversation. The baron's mercenary past is well known among the peers of Anuire as is his dedication to Cuiraecen after having taken the mantle of paladinhood.

"Ladies and lords of Anuire. I will be the first to say that never have I met a goblin that wasn't trying to end my life. As you can see, they haven't succeeded..." with a slight grin he adds "yet."

"And I've killed more than my fair share of their ilk and I expect to kill many more in the days to come, defending the borders of Roesone from the minions of the Spider. Why, just last season I was chasing after a particularly cunning group that managed to get past my guards by employing a ruse much more sophisticated than we usually consider the goblins capable of."

"What I mean is that I've had plenty of chances to see with my own eyes that they are an intelligent breed of pests."

He looks at the duchess of Tornilen and offers a polite nod

"But the fair lady of Tornilen is not wrong in assuming that they might be capable of something bigger. Cuiraecen teaches us that a show of strength, albeit tempered by wisdom and restraint, can curb an opponent's ambition. I see no reason why this wouldn't work with goblins."

"I am no wise enough myself to judge whether goblins have a soul or whether their evil is inherent or merely thrust upon them, but I would not judge a regent for trying to contain the goblins with methods other than butchery, as long as that regent accepts the responsibility for the safety of his human subjects and ensures that they do not come to harm from these... civilized and obedient goblins"
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
  • Carilon Alam, Archduke of Alamie
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »
The declaration of Lady Flaertes draws shocked looks from the Alamien delegation. Lady Alam exchanges a look with some grim-looking knights of the Alamien household, before looking at her husband, raising with two spots of anger burning on his otherwise pale face. The Archduke takes the floor with a voice carefully checked:

"Ladies and Lords of the Empire, I would second Lord Arvour and Lord Guy in requesting further information on the subject at hand before taking a firm stance. It is nevertheless my duty to point out that, as a knight of Haelyn and lord of Alamie, my lands and my vassals have constantly suffered from and battled the hordes of Goblins stemming endlessly from the Fivea Peaks. As have been doing my neighbours, from Endier and Ghieste, in their struggle against the Spider's minions.

My heart tells me that it is difficult to ever consider Goblins as something else than vile and mean raiders, cowards on their own when faced with naked steel and always prone to kill, maim and plunder our lands. As far as I recall, those creatures have outlived most Empires they have been part of, as arrow-fodder and slaves, be it the mighty realm of the twisted Sidhelien, and seemingly the late one of the Black Prince Raesene. Why should we open our arms to those who have been mistrusted and despised by the Shadow itself? Shall we forget who they sided with at Desimaar?"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:45:32 AM »
Seeing the situation turning to a point, Patriarch Rashid interjects; "There are noone present, who are not aware of the dreadful past relations humans have had with goblins."

"I have personally battled goblins, and Elinie has a long history of suffering raids from Markazor"

"I am inclined to remind the Archduke, that the elves also joined Azrai at mount Deismaar. Is it not true, that we have come to forgive them, and even integrate them into our civilizations?"

Rashid indicate Duchess Flaertes; "Or perhaps the Archduke of Alamier is more willing condemn those who are not blessed with looks as appealing as the present company?"

"Indeed, in other parts of Anuire, goblins are living in relative peace, as suppressed poor on the fringes of our realms."

"But to the matter at hand. I have some twenty thousand goblins who has sworn loyalty to the Duchy of Elinie"

"I am a Paladin of Avanalae. I cannot, should not, and will not, deny them the chance to redeem what can be redeemed."

"I ask of you, kindhearted, bright, and brave nobles, how do you advice me to handle them. Indeed, you have a unique opportunity to set a fingerprint on future policy regarding our greenskinned neighbors."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »
Why should we open our arms to those who have been mistrusted and despised by the Shadow itself? Shall we forget who they sided with at Desimaar?"

"Archduke Alam, if Desimaar should be our sole guide, then some peers in this room should befall the same fate we would grant upon the goblins."  His hand seems to point out the Duchess of Tornilien and the Militant Order of Cuiraecen.

"What would you propose be done with them?" The question is rhetorical because he immediately continues.

"Patriarch, deal with them as your conscience directs you.  Is this not the answer you are looking for?" He says curiously.

Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:02 AM »
Rashid simply shrugs at Williams question. "It would be a poor debate if the answers were given in advance. Certainly I have hopes and dreams, but truly, I am seeking inspiration on the manner of approach to a complicated issue."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
"I do not think it complicated, Patriarch." William says.

"But I do not desire to needlessly offend, either."
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Alamie (Alex)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
  • Carilon Alam, Archduke of Alamie
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:53:45 AM »
"I am afraid Patriarch, that Elves have refused to ackowledge ever since, their decline and our grasp of Anuire and beyond. I would not say that the Manslayer and the Emerald Queen are vibrant parts of our Empire. At least, House Alam does not trust them, as of now. And I would like to remind you, Patriarch, that at the end of the day, I am very afraid that your good intentions might lead some of the present members to raise humanoid troops under their banners and use them against Anuireans.

Twenty thousands Goblins, Patriach, who had been minions of the Black Prince not so long ago. How many hundred thousansd of tainted fangs and claws does it make?"

Turning to Lord Osoer, he continues:

"Your Grace, I hear you, nevertheless, in the case at hand, Deismaar has been followed by way too many infamous examples."