Author Topic: Question on regents' death & dynasties  (Read 3426 times)

Offline X-Mhoired (Dan)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 5
  • Ex-Mhoried
Question on regents' death & dynasties
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
 I don't know if this ever happened in the first game, but given the emphasis on tough choices, what happens when a player does screw up (pardon the pun) royally?
Say my regent is assassinated, or out-manuevered, or falls in battle? Am I out of the game, or would there be laws of succession, heirs, etc.?
If so, would I need to spend in-game action designating said heirs, or would they be assumed to have been established before the game begins?
Mhor Droene Kavarra, the Red Colt
Ruler of Mhoried, Lord of Shieldhaven & Highrock
Riding Towards Duty

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Question on regents' death & dynasties
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
It varies, but basically the following is true: You won't get kicked out of the game, death is an intrinsic part of the game and it would be sad to let the death of your regent be the defining factor of player defeat or victory. Shortest game ever!  ;D

In case your regent dies there are a couple of possibilities. First and foremost is the prepared version. You get a temple to cast the investiture spell on your chosen heir and once your regent either decides to abdicate or dies, your bloodline and control of holdings and provinces pass to the heir.

Then there's "Land's Choice", this happens when a regent dies, no heir is apparent and no pretender attempts to win the throne by force. The land chooses someone, which is usually a member of your regents familly and almost allways someone who fits the alignment of the nation.

Third is the classic "disintegrate into chaos" version. Usually due to a massive conflict over who's to rule - like it happened in Mhoried. This happens whenever there is imbalance in your realm, conflict with the temples or the like.

In any case, I would definitely urge you to look at the http://www.ruinsofempire.twilightpeaks.net/ page. It has a link to the Yahoo group and various downloads, most importantly the rulebook, RoE Domain Rules. It's a long and complicated read, but absolutely worth it if you want to master the game.

Offline X-Mhoired (Dan)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 5
  • Ex-Mhoried
Re: Question on regents' death & dynasties
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
About a half hour after I posted this I found the guide and saw the clearly labeled section covering this very topic. Tie that in with what Bjorn has said about pre-established domains and four free ("non-war") turns and  it looks like I've got my answer. Thanks!
Mhor Droene Kavarra, the Red Colt
Ruler of Mhoried, Lord of Shieldhaven & Highrock
Riding Towards Duty