Author Topic: Decree: Grant Promotion and Advisors  (Read 19883 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Decree: Grant Promotion and Advisors
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »
This thread has generated a LOT of interest, so I'd say that is another indication that AAs (perhaps unfortunately) will continue to garner more attention then they really deserve.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
But it could be interesting to separate the two. Remove the admin aa's, expand on the court rules as you suggest and have aa's be solely concentrated on high fantasy matters, like adventuring with the regent, becoming lieutenants, leading armies, jockeying for position within the domain and becoming the new regent.

That's my thought, you still have named aa's for the intrigue, but mostly they are just furniture.  The only people you actually then track are the high fantasy tyes.

(By the way, you can only have 1 +2 competence bonus pr. action, so no stacking advisor bonuses.)

I was thinking of changing the method totally - so you don't get court actions and +2 on any action from aa, just a choice of whether they carry out a court action (probably at a minus to reflect the fact that they aren't the regent) and then stackable bonus's if they don't do their own action.  Whether making the bonus's stackable would work is something Im not sure of - it would greatly expand take 10 opportunities for example, so at +2 it wouldn't just be 4 RP saved, but possibly 14.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
This thread has generated a LOT of interest, so I'd say that is another indication that AAs (perhaps unfortunately) will continue to garner more attention then they really deserve.

I would much rather call this a qualified attempt at changing the rule on aa's into something more manageable.

Ruleswise the aa's are currently able to boost your actions for nothing, reduce your costs, supply you with information and help you on adventures. Just looking at the rules they are thé single most flexible entity in all of the game. Now add to it the possibility of personification, which you can't do with a court number, and yeah, I understand the attention.

But let's change the direction of this, what we're discussing is a possible change to the rules:

Split aa's between courtiersand heroes.
 Let the courtiers have skills useful for admin and advice, while the heroes have levels, bloodlines etc. and are useful for adventure, boosting your actions, being commanders & commodores, becoming lieutenants and being the pool where you could draw your heir from.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
Courtiers:

Your court expense defines the max number of courtiers (so a 5GB court could have 5 courtiers, enough to cover most admin posts). You use hire help to acquire them and grant actions to give them titles.
 They are either master within one field, expert within two or skilled within three. Each admin is it's own field, each area of knowledge is it's own field. They can learn new fields or increase an existing one through the use of training actions (with increasing DDC's as the levels go higher).

Suggested:
 Master = +15
 Expert = +10
 Skilled = +5

Courtiers may die: If stability drops below zero, due to random events, old age or the effects of war.

Heroes
Uses current character rules.

Heroes are divided between hirelings and henchmen.
The domain expense defines how many hirelings you can have.
Henchmen are limited by the regent's leadership score.

Sometimes heroes serve a domain, not a regent directly and will stay in the service of the domain as long as the domain's alignment doesn't change. They are special cases and do not count against anything.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
That could work Jon. I like the part about Courtiers, and it also curbs the urge to have your Master administrator cover 2-3 bases.

Dunno if the DDC modifiers have to be so high though, if their useability has been limited to just 1 area from birth, then their value is much less too.

And for Sages many areas of knowledge are less valuable than Administration.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
I think keep the current hire help rules for heroes, but make it fairly easy to hire courtiers. There should after all be enough of them to go around.

I also think the training action should make it possible to "upgrade" your courtiers. Scholars learn more fields, admins become more competent at what they do. Etc.
 It could even be a simple +1 pt. per training action...

What I do not believe in is making it easier for people to hire heavy duty hitters, because RoE is not about things getting done in a jiffy, but about slow meticulous progress and swift setbacks. You want a real hero, you hire him young and train the brains out of him.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:37 AM »
No you hire a dozen and hope at least one of them will survive the extensive training program needed to gain those levels  ;D
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn