Author Topic: Construction/fortify - Action type  (Read 10991 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: Construction/fortify - Action type
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:42:15 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but one idea I like is to make the current Regent actions require both a Character action and a Court action. This allows it to represent the efforts of a combined domain, rather then the current system where a regent can perform three actions without any assistance.

Amusingly that is how I first read the existing rules...

Robhan would have vast numbers of unused court actions if not currently building various projects, so I see no reason not to cut the number of court actions - DC increases stop him doing 4 rules a round (or whatever), and I don't want him to to go silly with adviser actions (quick, find me a belt fed crossbow loaded with witchwood bolts chased in silver) so I'm left wondering what everyone else is pouring their court actions into.

I may even resort to using court actions to train troops instead of a wage war action to feed the agitate machine...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but one idea I like is to make the current Regent actions require both a Character action and a Court action. This allows it to represent the efforts of a combined domain, rather then the current system where a regent can perform three actions without any assistance.

This makes a reasonable court more of a requirement for even moderately sized domains. Perhaps more interesting is the possibility for character focused domains to not pay too much attention to their court. This would apply to Wizards and for Adventure eager domains such as the Wardens. Similarly Vassals with a limited (or non-existent) court would be limited to supporting their liege with character actions, rather than spamming with a huge number of regent actions.

This does of course change the actions system quite drastically, and the cost of court/domain upkeep will have to be balanced against action costs. Perhaps the standard 1GB action cost would be considered to be included in the continuing upkeep. It would also be possible to differentiate between actions requiring more effort, thus taking more than one action. Getting down the path of Action Points here, so I'll stop rambling before I get to carried away.

Interesting.  This could explain numerous vassalage scenarios. 

On a side note, it place smaller domains at a very distinct disadvantage when facing larger domains.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »
Interesting.  This could explain numerous vassalage scenarios. 

On a side note, it place smaller domains at a very distinct disadvantage when facing larger domains.

B/c they only have small courts?  The descriptions suggest a L3-4 court would be the minimum for most, although I'm not sure if smaller rulers can afford it.  If they do then they have a big advantage over largr domains who have too few actions to get everything done.

I'm wondering if vassals can piggy-back off a larger court - so a vassal would be able to use 1 action from the main court, rather than having to have a pitiful L1 court with significant action penalties.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »
Unlike Andy I'm in desperate need of court actions myself.. :)) I was thinking, seeing that a regent action is of a higher grade/step/level/value than a court action, would it be possible to let a player exchange a regent action for 2-3 court actions? A regent action already includes a lot of involvement from the court like in diplomacy or war actions.

I don't think this would happen too often as regent actions are incredibly valuable and always in lack of but sometimes, albeit rarely a court action is needed more and would justify this exchange
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »
Writing without thinking things through here, but Roberts suggestion could go both ways. As a guilder, I find that court actions are sometimes not really needed, so the only thing I really need them for is realm actions. Thus, exchanging 2-3 court actions for a regent actions would at some times be quite useful.

I dunno, this could just be silly, but it's early in the morning and I haven't had breakfast yet  ::)
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
What you are describing sounds like a Realm action. 1 Regent + 2-3 Court actions = Same action in 2-3 provinces. Yes, DDC goes up, but it's a modest price to pay for effectively doubling the number of regent actions you have access to.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »
I do not know... Allowing more than the standard number of regent actions sounds dangerous.

It is one thing to say, "ok 3 court actions are left, and I have nothing to do with them. Let's do a regent action", and another thing to deliberately prepare for that scenario (having a lvl 9 court for example, when you would just have a lvl 4 court in other circumstances, just to get more regent actions). After all court actions represent a measure of the efficiency and glamor of your court. They do not represent the whole government. 
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I do not know... Allowing more than the standard number of regent actions sounds dangerous.

It is one thing to say, "ok 3 court actions are left, and I have nothing to do with them. Let's do a regent action", and another thing to deliberately prepare for that scenario (having a lvl 9 court for example, when you would just have a lvl 4 court in other circumstances, just to get more regent actions). After all court actions represent a measure of the efficiency and glamor of your court. They do not represent the whole government.

That last paragraph is very true, I forgot that not everybody is having such a small court as I  ;D
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
Between this discussion and the Investiture discussion, Magnificent Court and the Palace of Splendor spell are looking better and better.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
There's an analogy for my suggestion. A wage war action turns all military action from court to free and lets you go crazy with them. As if a regent action, a more complex type of action, makes court actions much simpler to execute. What I'm suggesting is along the same line.. To replace a more complex action for a number of actions of lesser complexity.

This is mostly for landed regents who have so much to do with their courts when you take into account the commoners, the vassals, decrees etc. I can understand that non-landed regents don't see the need for more court actions but they're vital for their landed counterpart.

As for magnificent courts and grand palaces, they're cute in theory, but for the purposes of a game that operates in 20 turn chapters, they're impractical and, unfortunately, more of an epic feat for a generation than anything one could really use. The magnificent court alone takes 15 turns to make and robs you of 1 court action per turn for the whole duration as per the new construction rules.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
I can definitely understand the need for such a mechanism. I simply cannot see that making sense.

I good analogy is the following:

In D&D you can occupy a higher level spell slot with a lower level spell. However the analogy is just 1:1. You cannot gain any more lower level spells. Also you cannot do the opposite, which is quite similar to what you are suggesting. More specifically, you cannot substitute several lower level spell slots with a higher level spell slot. I.e. 3 3rd level spells cannot make 1 5th level.

The same for court and regent actions. Court actions are much less intricate in nature than regent actions. No number of court actions should be equivalent to a regent action, because it does not make sense (could make sense if the regent action was a diplomacy, but a rule has to apply on all situations).

[;edit] If you have several spare court actions you do not use, just modify your court level. Or not, if you do not want the penalty in the court modiier :) [;/edit]

Just my 2 coppers worth though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:53:12 PM by Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas) »
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »
Court actions won't be exchangeable to regent actions, that much is completely certain.
 I think it's possible to use a regent action as a court action - but at a 1:1 ratio.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
Court actions won't be exchangeable to regent actions, that much is completely certain.
 I think it's possible to use a regent action as a court action - but at a 1:1 ratio.

True; currently the exhange rate is 1:1.

But Robert has an interesting point; allowing you to turn 1 regent action into multiple court actions...should be at least 2...freeing up court time and regent time...possibly 3 to make it more appealing...for big court sessions and such...must be considered.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »

But Robert has an interesting point; allowing you to turn 1 regent action into multiple court actions...should be at least 2...freeing up court time and regent time...possibly 3 to make it more appealing...for big court sessions and such...must be considered.

OoC:  Perhaps two options:  2 court actions per regent action (without restriction) ~or~ 3 court actions per regent action (with restriction:  to wit, the 3 court actions must be employed on a court session)?

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »

OoC:

Bjørn,

Is "Extra Court Actions" now an official regent action?