Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 7715 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
It's been so long since the last book came out that I'd forgotten about Sam. Don't speak well for his quality as a memorable character!
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
He's always annoyed me immensely, for some reason. And yes, not the most remarkable figure.
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
I feel I am missing out having not read the books and not getting HBO
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
I haven't been watching them on HBO though, that's what the internets are for. Just googling "A game of thrones" and "torrent" should do it, or just check out torrentz.eu
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »
I haven't been watching them on HBO though, that's what the internets are for. Just googling "A game of thrones" and "torrent" should do it, or just check out torrentz.eu

ssshhhh dont tell!
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »

You're also missing out on:

1. Seeing a great series slowly (veeery slowly in fact) become watered down into piss...
2. Relatedly you'll also be annoyed when all the great established characters are killed of, only to be replaced with...Sam (this stuff happens when you suddenly feel an urge to write a gazillion more pages than initially intended).
3. Suffer through years and years of waiting for a book that never arrives...a book about the least-well-written female character this side of...Mary Sue (yeah Danerys, I'm looking at you, you actually work better in HBO than you ever did the in the books).

It's not that I don't like the series as a whole, cuz I like the first books and the non-Dothraki stuff...but lately...no.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »

You're also missing out on:

1. Seeing a great series slowly (veeery slowly in fact) become watered down into piss...
2. Relatedly you'll also be annoyed when all the great established characters are killed of, only to be replaced with...Sam (this stuff happens when you suddenly feel an urge to write a gazillion more pages than initially intended).
3. Suffer through years and years of waiting for a book that never arrives...a book about the least-well-written female character this side of...Mary Sue (yeah Danerys, I'm looking at you, you actually work better in HBO than you ever did the in the books).

It's not that I don't like the series as a whole, cuz I like the first books and the non-Dothraki stuff...but lately...no.

Aye - I'm skipping the Dothraki-chapters next time I read through it. I just don't care enough about what happens outside Westeros - and I wont will either, until Ol' George actually starts combining the timelines and stories.
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Amen. I'm also skipping Sam. And stuff having to do with the vikings.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
compared to other tv-series I'm all happy. My hope was that is was better then what I fund when I got a few episodes of that seeker story. A few years ago I started on the books but this tv-series got past that point by episode 2 or 3. I used to read more, and I still read a bit, but I never got going on these books.
So, yes I’m happy. I get a nice tv show every week. That’s all I expect.

I too like the Westeros part best so far. But the lure of Dragons and glimps of the eggs are good fun too :-)

Most actors are much better the I expected in this show, if the Imp go it will be a loss, but I still have hope for a nice series.
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
The Imp isn't going anytime soon...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
Yeah, we're talking end of... 3rd book I think? No worries and the actor who plays the imp is great. He does it pretty much perfectly.

I dunno about the whole length thing. I think it was always intended to be a long epic - he has mentioned going up to 10 volumes in total. I can't say I agree about the characters personally - the Imp and Jon Snow are still in the game :) A favorite character of mine suffered a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of book 4... or a hanger anyway. I'm excited to see what happens to her.

As for the dragon queen being poorly written and mary-sue... eh. That's highly subjective. George R. R. Martin is no Patrick Rothfuss, Richard Morgan or Joe Abercrombie in terms of good characterisation, so... meh. As for Mary-Sue... She makes mistakes. One noteably HUGE mistake. She has flaws and while her road is in many ways paved for her... still. There are struggles. There are mistakes. There are sacrifices. As long as those are kept, to a large enough degree, then she's ok with me.

Of course, Bjørn and my taste in books differ in some points. I find Tolkien to ber exasperatingly boring and repetitive, R. Scott Bakker to be entertaining and gritty in a good way, etc. So this is clearly veering into subjective territory.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Alamie/CA (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 5
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
It's been so long since the last book came out that I'd forgotten about Sam. Don't speak well for his quality as a memorable character!

Sam is awkward I know...but he's not so terrible. In "A Feast for Crows" he handles well a lot of troubles...

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
We are really enjoying this series so far... biggest complaint from my family so far is that they are not 2 hour episodes!

PS- Gotta love HBOGO!  You can preview next week's episode a week early!
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »
So... Someone gets crowned this weeks episode. Joy! :-)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Coronation is only temporary...only death is forever!

(maybe)
DM Bjørn