Author Topic: Supporting diplomacy with adventure  (Read 5093 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Supporting diplomacy with adventure
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
Just to clarify:

1 diplomacy (regent) action taken this turn is enough to give you any number of Free diplo actions to be taken in conjunction with the S&C.

This 1 diplomacy action includes your regent going to the City of Anuire - IF YOU WANT TO. He could also stay at home and send his servants to do the diplomacy. Doesn't matter.

You could, however, use 1 adventure action for your regent to represent extraordinary effort and involvement (i.e. supportive action giving a bonus to your diplo actions). This does mean that you regent goes to the S&C. If you do a lot of diplomacy action and are heavy on IC writing, this might be a good idea; could give significant bonuses to several diplo efforts.

This also applies to AAs of course, but their effect is more limited.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
Re: Supporting diplomacy with adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »

This also applies to AAs of course, but their effect is more limited.

If you use your bonus lt action for a supportive adventure, the effect could cover more than one diplo effort.

Standard AA supportive actions apply only to ONE diplo effort.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »
Would I then have to do both adventuring action AND diplomacy action?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
You do not HAVE to; you CAN do, IF you think the possible diplo bonuses worth spending an action on.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Meaning I wont get a bonus from doing adventure action unless I also do a diplomacy action
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
You won't be able to do any diplomacy in the first place if you don't use a diplomacy action...not sure what you're asking here?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »
Does each agreement require a separate roll and a separate investment of GB/RP?
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
I'll add two questions;

1. Does Able Assistance help with just 1 diplomacy roll, or since he is there for all, for them all?

In my instance, I have Kifari the Second Vizier with me to the S&C. I have oh, maybe, uh, 9 diplomacy actions. Will he be able to try and give AA to all 9, or just to 1 pr. action I spend with him.

2. Can you have more than 1 AA assisting the same roll? - I know you cannot for Administration, but you Can on Adventure, so what about diplomacy and rule actions and so forth. Just to hammer it out once and for all.

3. What DDC should we be working with? - Holding alliance starts at 10+Stability+Court+Accord modifier.

The accord modifier is described as +10 to -10, can we assume we are at -10 if the rulers are in full accord?
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
1. They might be able to help with 1 roll, but really needs good cause to be able to do so. A priest of Haelyn would help you with dealmaking with Haelynites, etc. etc. Diplomacy is generally not a place where generic aa's are useful. As always, creativity is rewarded.

2. I saw it done once in this game. So it's possible, yes.

3. No details now and there never will be it seems... Diplomacy will always be a difficult area to deal with. You can expect to be able to reach easy deals with those outlined as allies in your DS, you can expect to be able to reach easy deals if the deal is simple. That's the simple version of it.
 In the end the dice roll decides, though I have seen cases where no dice roll could bridge the gap that the players had ignored.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
Does each agreement require a separate roll and a separate investment of GB/RP?

YES!

That follows from each deal being a separate Free diplomacy action.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
I'll add two questions;

1. Does Able Assistance help with just 1 diplomacy roll, or since he is there for all, for them all?

In my instance, I have Kifari the Second Vizier with me to the S&C. I have oh, maybe, uh, 9 diplomacy actions. Will he be able to try and give AA to all 9, or just to 1 pr. action I spend with him.

2. Can you have more than 1 AA assisting the same roll? - I know you cannot for Administration, but you Can on Adventure, so what about diplomacy and rule actions and so forth. Just to hammer it out once and for all.

3. What DDC should we be working with? - Holding alliance starts at 10+Stability+Court+Accord modifier.

The accord modifier is described as +10 to -10, can we assume we are at -10 if the rulers are in full accord?

That's more than 2 questions you know :)

1. Only one.

The regent or lt could conceivably give a bonus to several diplo actions; at least if they are somehow related (say the Pontiff speaking to the temples, making deals with several of them).

2. Yes. But their bonuses don't stack; instead you get one bonus based on the total ability of all those participating.

3. It will be a -10 if both PLAYER agree AND your domains are on good terms AND the DMs think the deals has been made iC AND that the domains in question would find such a deal to be acceptable and beneficial.

So you cold, even if the PLAYER agree, end up with a much higher DDC mod.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »
Hehe, yes I came up with one more as I wrote.  ::)

On 1. I should just read above, I see not that it was already answered. :)

On 2. Ok! - So you refer to the successes, "success = +2" "success by 10 or more = +4" "Natural 20 = +6" or something like that?

And if there is more than one AA, one with +6 to his roll and another with +8 to his roll, their assist roll will be One roll of +14, making certain that a +2 is achieved, and maybe a +4 or better?

On 3. And this is why Jon refers to the DS, because in there are listed the status between our realm and its most likely allies and enemies, I see.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.