Author Topic: Editor wanted  (Read 4498 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Editor wanted
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
Hi,

As you may have noticed - I'm (once again) making an effort to finish the Regent Guide - in effect updating the completed chapters and finishing up the missing pieces. It's like wrestling with an ogre covered in warm chicken grease...you need certain dedication and a fair amount of hubris to think that you can go in a come out still in one piece. But I'm finally nearing the end of the work...make no mistake - there are still dozens of work-hours left working on streamlining the war rules, the ship stuff and the spell descriptions...but for the first time there is light in the end of the tunnel!

Anyway I'm in need of someone to take on the role of 'Chief Editor' - to take the monster once I'm done with it and read through it and...well, edit stuff, fix layout issues, check with me if rules works as intended etc. We could also use some 'Assistant Editors' that provide feedback to the chief so feel free to volunteer for that too.

I'm not going to list any needed qualification or such - just note that it's going to be laborious and bloody boring!
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
Re: Editor wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »
Hep...

I won't mind looking through stuff, fix possible typos, complain/whine about rules etc.
It's more or less what I do at work anyways (except the complaining, they don't like that here) - only difference here would be that it's something I actually care about  ;)

EDIT:

P.S. I learned a new Norwegian word today. "Pupper!"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:18:12 AM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »
At your service.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
Well, I kinda already volunteered for this duty, so I am in.

I think I'll be taking a role as assistant editor, looking through realm action / advantage / influence rules and crafting a bunch of illustrative examples. I will also be able to edit other stuff, so just hit me with that as well.

I do have a little editing experience, but it sounds like Thorsten is way ahead of me in that department, so it sounds like he could safely pick up the role of chief editor :P
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
The Chief editor would be expected to not only weed out typos, but actually help clear up rules and present things in a coherent fashion.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
... And we all know how coherent and fashionable Thorsten is? :P

But seriously though, if by clearing up rules you mean "make them more understandable to the general populace", I believe I can be of some assistance.  Especially if others would like to help. My studies in journalism would finally pay of then and my life would have meaning once more :P

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
I have about the next four to six weeks free of any erstwhile employment it seems and have done lots of copy production, editing and final presentation work in web, document, exhibition and broad brand formats. Yeah, I am a marketing professional for my sins :)

Happy to help as and how you want me.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Alamie/CA (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »
I volunteer as Assistant

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »
I would offer the suggestion that with the number of people volunteering already, it would be "easy" to break things down into the individual chapters, and hand those out for the individual to review/give feedback. It would also increase the amount of work they would be able to do without getting tired/bored, and severely lessen the amount needed to be done by any "chief ed."

Ie. one person could look through Chapter 5 (Domain Actions) and comment on the stuff that was confusing, needed clarification or just felt downright odd, while another had a go at Chapter 6 (armies/warfare), and so on and so forth. If any of the persons finished quickly, and felt like doing more, they could then continue with another chapter as need be, or even be assigned a chapter already under scrutiny by someone else, to put another set of eyes on the matter.

It is really just a matter of coordination, combined with how much the individual feels like contributing.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
I can help do some editting for coherence, logic and whatnot.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »
There can be only One.

Meaning I want one person to be in charge...but that person is free to get as many assistants as he wants; and breaking down by chapters sounds logical (as long as you also keep in mind that we're trying for a coherent whole).

So...who among you has the strength to face the Covenant...to be the Master Chief...sorry, wrong game...who has the time and dedication to be Chief Editor?

(and yes this earns VPs as well as a big pile of brownie points)
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:38:02 PM »
I think your getting a bit too carried away with this whole "One" theme, dear DM :P

I guess my question would be, would the assistant(s) get VP/Brownie points as well? Anything else would seem a bit unfair to me and probably resort to my standing aside to allow others a go... Just because I'm a post-berserker (trying to outscore Kasper is a hassle) and call dibs, shouldn't mean I get something others don't.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:40:17 PM by Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten) »

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
I'm quite sure that everyone involved will get 'amply' compensated...assistants included.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Unless others want to play rock-paper-scissor with me about it, I would then offer body and soul to this project (Hehe  ::)).

Matt? Niels?

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
Not sure what its worth if anything but the editor(s) will surely earn some goodwill from the other players as well as whatever compensation offered by the GM. Besides praise we may even be nice towards your domain(s)!

:) :) :)

His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn