Author Topic: Research action  (Read 3215 times)

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
Research action
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Few questions regarding Research action:

1) When researching new realm spell, am I confined to realm spells listed in Regent Guide or is it possible to negotiate new/modified spell with DM?

2) If modified spells are possible and Im researching only modification of a spell already known to my domain, will it be easier and/or faster than researching new spell completely?

3) Can be research action used to other purposes than information gathering, learning realm spells or creating magic items? Such us devising new technical features? For example I would like to create some new and unique technical feature for the Great Lighthouse making it truly famous and awesome. Is that possible? And would such research be regent action or character action of particular AA?

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Research action
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
1, 2 & 3) You can always try, good ideas are welcome.

2) Modified spells have never been used in the game before. The rules change however. In the end it really depends on the effect you're trying to achieve.

3) Research is always a regent action. An aa can support the research action. I believe non-landed  spellcasters can use the research action to learn realm spells, but that's really it.
 Adding abilities to an existing structure hasn't been done before, but as I said, good ideas are welcome. You might get a no, but then again you might get a yes. If you get the go-ahead, you'd probably need to research it first, then spend an unknown amount of GB on improving the structure.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: Research action
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
Do recognize, though, that the Great Lighthouse already is a stupendous structure.  I don't know that it's absolutely unique, but if there's more than one other like it, I'd be deeply surprised.  Improving it could be cool, but don't dismiss what it already is.