Author Topic: Servants of Haelyn  (Read 3340 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Servants of Haelyn
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:55 PM »
Eldried the dark; messenger of the High Marshal

The warrior stood still in the battlefield, blood dripping from his cloak and blade alike he gazed blindly into the distance ignoring even the crows that perched upon him as they ate their fill of the fallen.  Bodies surrounded him – soldiers of the Wyld, guardians of Mhoried, even some goblins likely scavenging the battlefield that must have come to close to the warrior's blades.  From the carnage about the battle must have been ferocious thought Robhan, yet now this warrior simply stood devoid of purpose – he made no move to bind his wounds, to clean his blade, or even shelter from the rain that grew fiercer by the moment.

Acolyte Paeghan, unnerved by the sight, stammered some excuse and left to search for wounded that might need aid elsewhere on the battlefield; so the High Marshal approached the warrior alone.  ‘Child of Haelyn’ spoke the Marshal.  ‘How came you here?  As friend or foe to Mhoried?  Your body bleeds – the wounded, aye even mercenaries of the Wyld should they swear peace – are tended in the camp over yonder by my brethren – there is no need to stand and die here as so many have already this bloody day’.  The man made no response nor gave sign he had heard the High Marshal’s words; the High Marshal narrowed his gaze and when he spoke again the blood of Anduiras was in his voice and none of mortal blood could hear and ignore ‘turn and face me child of Haelyn, stand before Haelyn’s voice and speak of your honour or beg repentance for your sins’.  The dark man stirred finally at the sound and turned to face the High Marshal, the hollowness of death heavy in his eyes.

‘Who am I?  I was rage, I was vengeance, I was purpose forged at birth and honed through childhood to singularity.  Now?  I am hollow, I am empty, I am done – and there is no longer purpose.’  He sighed slowly, as if finally recognizing the wounds that covered him and drowned any sign of which side he had fought for or lord he might have followed. ‘Your care is for the living priest and there is no living left in me – there is no redemption for those such as me and bleak nothingness alone can be my fate’.

The High Marshal frowned, ‘redemption is Haelyn’s to give, and His the decision to whom it shall be given - judge not for Him nor consider your life over ‘til it ends.  Your wounds are serious – but will heal cleanly given treatment. My care is for all those souls that yet wander Cerilia – aye and any beyond that have yet to face His judgment.  I see before me a man – a sinner as so many are most likely, but few are so depraved that they cannot seek some measure of redemption before they pass this life.  To stand yet in this field of dead you must have skill and courage – Haelyn ever has use for such man will they but serve a greater purpose than their own greed.  So know this, should you indeed die this day, lost and abandoned by whatever demons have driven you to this place, you die with salvation but a step before you, have you but the courage to lift your head and follow the path of light from this day forth.

And without words the dark haired man followed the golden priest from that moment forth and tended to the wounded and dying without pause or complaint until the field was cleared and was named Eldried by the acolytes in memory of the hound of that name that had long followed the High Marshal in battle.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:08:03 PM by Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy) »
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Former players
  • Regent
Re: Servants of Haelyn
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Daecon Raenwe ‘Hammer of the Goblins’

Some knights are clearly blessed by Haelyn;
Fools seeking battle see the knight and pass by;
Bandits choose some other victim on whom to prey;
They sail through battle without a scratch;
Daecon Raenwe is not such a knight.
The path of every battle he has fought can be read in his scars, and yet I choose him as our missionary to Markazor.
Why?  Because he may not be blessed with beauty, or luck, or wit to sway the brutal from violence, but he is blessed with victory in battle and no greater blessing can be needed in that benighted land!

High Marshal Robhan, Winter, 1534 HC.

'They need Raenwe like they need a hammer to the head
Precisely
Marshal Edwin Balter and High Marshal Robhan discussing appointments. Autumn, 1534 HC

Raenwe long served as a drill instructor in the Abbey of the Blazing Shield, to this day the sound of his voice can bring even hardened knights to a cold sweat with a word.  Raenwe led a troop of green infantry hastily pressed to service into the war of the Wyld, and led near every one of ‘his boys’ out as veterans at its end.  He fought in most of the major battles to liberate Markazor and has spent much of the last two years scourging the surviving goblins from the land and hunting down wandering bandits.

A blunt-spoken man, Raenwe has no loves other than great Haelyn, his daughter Shannon (a promising young paladin but still ‘sweetie’ to her devoted father), and the thrill of battle.  Raenwe is respected and feared in equal measure by his men and the first that others turn to when they need a wrathful hammer – if the last when they need a soft word or shoulder to cry on.  Raenwe cares little for softness , a man can rest when he is dead and be grateful for the respite in his view, life is for labour, battle and prayer – with the first two the latter in all but name, if done in Haelyn’s name.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:35:32 PM by Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy) »
Robhan Khaiarén

• Former players
  • Regent
Re: Servants of Haelyn
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »
Shannon Raenwe.

Daughter to Daecon Raenwe, Shannon was raised on a diet of tales of heroic knights of Haelyn and villainous goblins and conniving merchants.   Shannon is young, barely more than a year out of training, and is still very idealistic.  Shannon has the status of roving paladin, charged with defending the faithful and exemplifying the tenets of the faith, Shannon has spent much of her first year as an active knight-paladin in Markazor rooting out goblin and gnoll bands and become quite adept at such matters.
Robhan Khaiarén