Author Topic: Hiring Establish NPCs  (Read 3992 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Hiring Establish NPCs
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:16:21 AM »
Is the DDC for the hire help action any different if you use it to hire established npcs?

For example there a few npcs described in the domain description for Tornilen. They are described as already being in the Sword Mage's employ, for example a 7th level ranger is the military commander of the province Toralinar.
The DDC to hire him is 22, + stability and court modifiers. That sounds high, but he is also a high level npc.

I understand that there is a difference between having someone work in the lower echelons of your hierachy and having them directly under your command and attatched to one's person.

Would an established relationship to a npc provide a bonus to the Hire Help action and how substantial would that bonus be? I realize that there is also a game balance aspect in this - high level npcs are strong assets on adventures and as commanders or spellcasters, elite characters make good lieutenants (some actions without GB cost), and so on.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:09:16 AM by Tornilen/SM (Alexander) »
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
Re: Hiring Establish NPCs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:27:52 AM »

OoC:

Assuming that he is an elite (not an heroic) character; assuming that an hireling (not an advisor) is desired; assuming no stability modifier and a 5 GB court; assuming that I have not made any mistakes . . .

DDC:  10 (base) + 7 (ECL) + 5 (elite) + 5 (spells) = 27.

Perhaps Bjørn can comment on the possibility of a reduction of the DDC (based upon an established relationship).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:19:18 AM by PETG/Elamien Lamier (Brandon) »

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »
How 'bout the college of sorcery? How large is it in RoE II, i.e. how many students does it have and would there be a possibility of hiring them as court mages? I would assume that some of them would hope for such an opportunity and welcome it.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Mhoried/Constantine Mhor (Wiktor)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »
How 'bout the college of sorcery? How large is it in RoE II, i.e. how many students does it have and would there be a possibility of hiring them as court mages? I would assume that some of them would hope for such an opportunity and welcome it.

Leave the college alone! There are enough of its alumni running free in the world already!
His Grace Constantine Mhor the Duke of Mhoried

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

Feel free to hire - using the Hire help action.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
Is the DDC for the hire help action any different if you use it to hire established npcs?

For example there a few npcs described in the domain description for Tornilen. They are described as already being in the Sword Mage's employ, for example a 7th level ranger is the military commander of the province Toralinar.
The DDC to hire him is 22, + stability and court modifiers. That sounds high, but he is also a high level npc.

I understand that there is a difference between having someone work in the lower echelons of your hierachy and having them directly under your command and attatched to one's person.

Would an established relationship to a npc provide a bonus to the Hire Help action and how substantial would that bonus be? I realize that there is also a game balance aspect in this - high level npcs are strong assets on adventures and as commanders or spellcasters, elite characters make good lieutenants (some actions without GB cost), and so on.

Besides above question I wonder if it makes any sense game mechanic wise to hire an advisor, then try to turn him into a henchman later on.
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

Besides above question I wonder if it makes any sense game mechanic wise to hire an advisor, then try to turn him into a henchman later on.

To Alexander's question: There's always the possibility that the DM adds modifiers to a roll, but they're always conditional and rarely revealed. So no definitive rule on that.
 Also "established NPC's" of high level or great importance are usually hired on a case by case basis. The Green Knight f.ex. won't provide his services to just anyone, others he may help for free. No definitive rule there either.

To Kasper: Since the only way to get a henchman is to hire an advisor and promote him/her, I would say it makes great sense (obviously special cases can occur). And if you want a new lieutenant, they cost a lot less if you create them from henchman status.