Author Topic: Court  (Read 3236 times)

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
Court
« on: December 12, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
I'd think it rather common that all people of importance in a realm would naturally gravitate towards a ruler's court as the seat of power in the kingdom. That's more or less how a court functioned in the middle ages. It was also the source of knowledge, art, fashion, balls, dinners, tournaments...

Being at court means having access to the ruler, favors, privileges, influence, potential brides, husbands etc etc. Being back home in "Backwaterwille" would mean either self imposed isolation, semi-exile, not caring about politics, disfavor...

Is it safe to assume that this works somewhere along these lines in RoE? That, for example, powerful vassals leave the day to day administration of their domains to their seneshals/chamberlains/spouses while they pursue their interests at court?

I.E. I'd like some inner-realm intrigue (a level that doesn't overtax our DMs much) and having a larger court expenditure would probably ensure that my vassals do spend time there (or don't and then I'd want to know why) and that I can talk to them regularly (without a diplomacy action when its things like advice or general pleas, audiences etc).
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Court
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
This is a fair assumption. You can also get your vassals to do stuff by dispatch - unless its really big things, but then you could host a little court session once in a while.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
Oh, of course. I intend to host a court session (spend diplomacy and all) now and then for big and important occasions, but my point was just that most nobles would tend to spend a great deal of time at the center of things anyway if they want to know the latest rumor, gossip, fad... :)

thus a regent could reasonably expect to have any of his major vassals available for talk at least once every season if not nearly all of the time. After all, if one vassal is constantly around the king, the others wouldn't want to fall behind and let that "crazy bugger" fill the king's head with all kind of nonsense :D

But additionally, vassals were expected to be consulted on very major decisions and a liege was keen on learning what they thought about big matters (at least those he trusted and whose support he enjoyed)

hence the action: Advisor :) (not necessarily just mage for magical, herald for nobility in general).
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
The adviser action can be used even if you don't have any specific advisers listed under Able Assistance; any court will have the collections of characters you describe, and they are usually more than willing to offer their advice services.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »
Yes, but asking for advice from nobles with an overinflated ego makes them feel valued, cherished and important, and it makes the king popular since he appears democratic that way  8)