Author Topic: CHARACTER RULES  (Read 23866 times)

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
Re: CHARACTER RULES
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
That's how Bjørn (kinda) did it and what seems intuitive to me.
In that case, Bjørn was (kinda) doing it right. I'm not surprised, as Bjørn generally does get things right.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
Telling Linde that he is "of the video game mentality" is not conductive to a good discussion. You clearly do not mean that as a compliment and you are making yourself look like an ass.

Fiction (IC text and descriptions) and rules interact in many ways. You can have freeform rules with lots of roleplay and you can have more bound rules and lots of roleplay, those things do not exclude each other.

Realism is also a tricky word, as this takes place in a magical world with god-blooded rulers. What is "realistic" is also highly subjective. Having clear rules, that explicitly leave room for interpretation and bonuses, is the ideal IMO.

In RoE 2 you had a bonus to actions based on your classes and on your level, with possible extra bonuses to that based on descriptions/narratives and possibly penalties based on the lack of the same. It is my impression that this is what Linde has written he prefers as well... and it is also the system that Brandon suggests.

Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde)

• **-Thuriene Donalls-** Bearer of the Rose Scepter.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »
Welcome to role playing.

Well. RoE has ever been a strategy game with a role playing element. To discuss that fact is just as pointless.

To write you have 2 in rule manor so your total goes up by two is not a description.  I haven't said or implied that. So for you to write it make no sense.

The problem with a skill as perfom is that it can be used for any and all domain actions and as such grant arbitrary bonuses.

The description might be of the bard performing.  And that might warrant a role play bonus.  But a skill bonus should only be granted if he has the skill of ruling manor.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.
Supreme Hierarch of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.
They will thrive, grow and be the most beautiful flowers in the garden of man."

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
Alternatively RoE has always been a roleplaying game with strategic elements and that is equally pointless to discuss :)

Players have very different priorities for playing this. We do need to make room for those mostly in it for the narrative as well as those in it for the strategy.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »
Yes Alex,
There should be room for every different play style. But for a person who has yet to play to say "Welcome to role playing" when in fact the rules state that role playing is optional is IMO arrogant and/or ignorant.

I am not saying that role playing shouldn't be an important part of the game! IMO it has always been and continue to be one of the most important parts of the game. But to quote the regent guide: "Ruins of Empire is a strategy game."

I think it should be encouraged that players write nice and good descriptions for their actions so the DMs have something to work with. And I think the current rules do that nicely!

I don't think that more bonuses are needed for role playing and descriptions than the ones ALREADY in the game.

The characters personality is the basis for role playing bonus, not his skills.
Description bonus is awarded for nice descriptions of the attempt to solve the action or some underlying plot behind the action, or something else, but not by telling what skills or ability score the character is going to use!
A characters skills are the basis for action bonuses and as soon as everyone accepts that or the DMs decide to rewrite the rules the better.

To clarify:
Description bonus: Applies to any action. Awarded for kewl descriptions, you are limited by your imagination and the DMs sense of what you can do.

Action bonus:(Or Skill bonus)Applies to specific actions, you get this bonus based on your characters abilities and not based on your ability to convey that ability in a kewl way! In other words, just because you are incompetent doesn't mean your character is, and just because you are the greatest genius since Einstein doesn't mean your character is!

Role playing bonus: Applies to any action or your BS/RP pool or extra VP. You get that for acting in character in a SUPER kewl and fun way as defined by the DMs.

For reference:
Quote from: Regent Guide
Play style
It has already been pointed out, but here it is again; Ruins of Empire is a strategy game. It is about kingdoms and dynasties, not about single characters, their equipment and their round-to-round affairs.
However, the game is also about role-playing, and for that characters are more suitable than kingdoms! Simply put; it is much easier for both players and the DM to relate to a character and his personality, than to something as abstract as a kingdom or organization. So if you envision your regent (and his primary assistants) as the vessels through which you convey the nature of your domain, you should do very well.
You can also decide to go lighter on the role-playing part of the game if you don’t feel you have the time, interest, or insight required. But you may not neglect the strategic part of the game, and only rely on role-playing.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »
Telling Linde that he is "of the video game mentality" is not conductive to a good discussion. You clearly do not mean that as a compliment and you are making yourself look like an ass.
An ass? Oh dear, the insults start already, how shocking! I suggest that the next time you decide to try read my mind and tell me what I mean as a compliment or not, you should make the effort to be right. While it is possible that I did in fact mean it as an insult, it is also possible that I meant it exactly the way it was said: there is a certain philosophical approach to gaming among many younger gamers (and yes, Linde counts as "younger" to me, I was playing D&D years before either of you were even born) that wants things to be far more quantifiable and equitable, where nobody gets "shafted" for not being as creative or as descriptive, where the players' and DM's personalities are removed from the equation as much as possible - which is pretty much the opposite of how role-playing works, and I attribute this approach to the influence of video games - thus the "video game mentality.

Now, whether or not I think that is a good thing (I don't) has no bearing on whether I meant it as an insult (I didn't). The fact of the matter here is that you took it as an insult, and decided to project that onto my motives. This almost always an error, especially in an online interaction, something you will learn when you have been interacting online as long as I have (and no, you haven't been, I have been interacting online since you were in diapers). I will also let you know here and now that it almost guaranteed to be an error when interacting with me online. You will have to take my word for it  - I do not think like you at all, and any attempt on your part to figure that out is pretty much certain to be wrong. In the future, you should just take my words at face value, I do not pussyfoot or shilly shaly around, I say exactly what I mean - nothing more and nothing less, and I haven't the slightest interest in playing passive-aggressive forum games. Nor do i really care what a bunch of complete strangers online think of me. I do not waste my time trying to be cute or cryptic, if I think somebody is being a twit I will tell them outright - oh BTW Alexander, you are at the moment.

Now assuming you are done being so, we can get on with the discussion, and if not? Oh well, I can always get a chuckle out of your posturing.

The problem is that the whole idea of "being skilled in ruling manor" is silly. What exactly does that skill consist of and how does it differ fro being skilled in ruling law or temple? Is it agricultural expertise? Bookkeeping? or perhaps it is the ability to force people into serfdom? See what i mean? it is purely game mechanic oriented and has no actual correlation to anything real world and does not in any way take into account what the action itself actually represents.

It is a simplification that detracts from the game, it basically changes the game from a free-flowing open-ended intellectual exercise into a video game where you can purchase certain specific bonuses and that is it, you do not have the freedom to be creative and find bonuses elsewhere, you do not have the ability to find ways to use seemingly unrelated skills in an original manner to affect an action.

And that freedom, that lack of hard structural limit is what distinguishes role playing from boardgames and video games, even the so-called online role playing games, and is what makes them a superior for of gaming. And that sort of freedom is what is being progressively removed from RoE with the latest revisions.

Now, if I am a dinosaur whose time has past, so be it, I will continue play the game the way I feel it should be played, and I will continue to grumble about the direction that you young whippersnappers are taking the game. You can all ignore me, or engage me, or perhaps even heed me, it really doesn't matter to me, I am really here to play a game, not to make friends with anybody.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2013, 10:08:44 PM »
But for a person who has yet to play to say "Welcome to role playing" when in fact the rules state that role playing is optional is IMO arrogant and/or ignorant.
What is actually ignorant and arrogant is for somebody to claim that participation in one specific flavour of Birthright PBEM that he is claiming isn't really a role-playing game at all in any way disqualifies anybody from stating what role-playing is or isn't, especially when the second person has been into this particular brand of role-playing game longer than the first person has even been alive.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
But for a person who has yet to play to say "Welcome to role playing" when in fact the rules state that role playing is optional is IMO arrogant and/or ignorant.
What is actually ignorant and arrogant is for somebody to claim that participation in one specific flavour of Birthright PBEM that he is claiming isn't really a role-playing game at all in any way disqualifies anybody from stating what role-playing is or isn't, especially when the second person has been into this particular brand of role-playing game longer than the first person has even been alive.
Well, RoE is based on birthright, but you haven't played RoE yet.

And your aggressive behavior when confronted with your ignorance, arrogance and general inability to communicate without ambiguity online is not excused by years of experience.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:23:25 PM by Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde) »
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
And your aggressive behavior when confronted with your ignorance, arrogance and general inability to communicate without ambiguity online is not excused by years of experience of being an ass.
LOL. My but you do provide comedic relief there Linde. How you equate anything I have said to being aggressive is beyond me, perhaps the word no longer has the same meaning it used to.

You see, to my mind, it is you and Alexander who are being aggressive by trying to insult me for expressing my opinion. as to the direction the game should take. Obviously, you don't like the way I express myself, oh well - suck it up Buttercup, I don't care if you do or don't.

Now, unless you intend to grow up and start behaving like the adult you claim to be, I think I am just going to slot you into the "not worth my time" category.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
I think the discussion has pretty much run its course...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 03:41:49 AM »
OoC:

Edit:  Feel free to delete this post.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:47:47 AM by X-Points East »

Offline X-Points East