Author Topic: New Spell Proposal: Divine Purpose  (Read 6204 times)

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
New Spell Proposal: Divine Purpose
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:57:57 PM »
Divine Purpose
Enchantment (Charm) [mind-affecting]
Level: Arcane 3, Divine 2, Primordial 3
Components: 2 GB
Regency: 2 RP/province + special
Casting Time: One free action (1 day)
Range: Medium
Target: 1 Province
Duration: 1 Year
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Description:
By the power of this spell, entire masses are put toward a single purpose in an orderly fashion.   Projects within the province progress in a highly efficient and orderly method, making even the most daunting tasks proceed with speed.

Spell Effect: Any Construction, Commission, or Fortify action within the progress at 6 GB + 1 GB per 3 casting temple level.  The total GB added to the structure is still limited by the GB expenditure by the project originator (in other words, this spell does not build for you, it just allow you to spend more GB on the project per turn).

The caster must pay an additional number of RPs per province equal to the difference in target province level and his holding level. Example: Casting Divine Purpose in a province (6), where the caster has a temple (4), costs an additional 6-4 = 2 RPs

Character Caster level Equivalent: None. There is no discernible benefit for individual characters.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
Re: New Spell Proposal: Divine Purpose
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »
Alan, I like this spell proposal, but did you intend the casting temple holding level or the caster level to determine how many GBs can be built each turn?
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
caster level

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »
It's nice, if Robhan wasn't broke he might consider building something big  ;)  It looks possibly a little too good though - might you get some sort of negative effect to reflect the unusual singularity of purpose?  Or is that only going to happen if you nark Bjorn with doing it too often?  I'm thinking mainly of any other regent's building works in the province being slowed or something like that - or maybe a drag on guild/manor income to reflect the diversion of the workforce.

I note that the spell at least doubles construction time - and may even triple it.   That's good from a 'get it done before the chapter ends' but detracts a little from the 'big stuff is rare' approach now - would a +1 GB / 2 levels spread the effect out over levels a little more?  That way only the high level spellcasters can really steamroller through, and low-mid casters like Robhan are only moderately better.

One other possibility is a bonus to the build action attempt - less corruption, idleness, etc could be reflected in +2 to the action.

How does the spell cost compare to the cost of hurrying production?  I can't see the rule in the rulebook...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:20:04 AM »

The spell is considerably easier than doing 'Hurried Construction'.  Notice that the spell does not aboslve the construction project from making its normal seasonal DAC, the spell only allows you to use 'Hurried Construction' + a little extra without the +5 DDC modifier that Hurried Construction normally brings.

Concievably, a rule like no other construction efforts may be done in the province, or something similar could be added, but I don't think it is neccessary. 

The spell isn't overpowered IMO.  It has an extraordinary effect to a very limited action set.  In this regard, it is comparable to Bless the Sacred Holding, which can immediately make any contest action, regardless of the influence expended on it, to fail.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »
I have a few comments:

It should specify what happens if you Both hurry and use this spell. - Perhaps make the effect a multiplier used on the amount of GB allowed to be spent building/turn? As in, normal building is 3GB/turn use this to x2 the value.

If hurried, add +3GB, and do Not multiply this?

Or simply describe it as: This spell allows the target to build at a pace of +3GB pr. turn, in addition to other modifers. The target must still spend the extra GB's to make use of the spell effect.

I'm a little worried by how wide the area of effect is. Its multiple provinces and covers all building within. That can cover say a whole fleet of commissioned ships, a couple of buildings regardless of their owner, as long as its inside the provinces affected.

Putting a "cap" on the total amount of extra GB's granted might be a better way to restrict it? - So the target becomes: 1 Domain within one or more provinces covered by the spell.

And effect becomes:  This spell allows the target to build at a pace of +3GB pr. turn, in addition to other modifers. The target must still spend the extra GB's to make use of the spell effect. The spell has a limit of extra GB's spent pr. turn of 3GB's+1GB/caster level.

My suggestion still allows huge amounts of extra construction... Might need a lower +GB/caster level factor.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
The spell is intended to be cast is a single province. 
The RP cost was intended to be comparable to Bless the Sacred Holding

The spell is not meant to allow Hurried Construction on top of it.

In short, the only thing this spell effects is the Maximum # of GB you can spend on construction/comission projects in a particular province -- AND -- remove the increased difficulty for Hurried construction.

It doesn't neccessarily mean that you will be able to utilize the increase in production.

Remember that the equalizer in this particular action is that you still need to expend the GB in order to recieve any benefit from this realm spell.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
I take it that the extra gold possible is then total for the province - not per construction?  So if the caster level allows +8 GB spend, you could pile all 8 into 1 structure, or put an extra 4 into two of them?

The other benefit over hurried construction is that the project cost doesn't increase.  Hurried spends 6 GB not the usual 3, but increases the cost by 20%, so a net increase of only 2 GB at a cost of 3.  That wastage probably evens out mostly with the 2 GB base cost (except at fairly high level).
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »
My original thought was to allow it to all construction projects in a province.  Since this action is saving 20%, but not increasing the DDC of the construction action, this is probably too overpowered.

Restricting it to 1 project or making the 20% cost increase neccessary.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
This went off-boards for some reason but a synopsis of various emails - correct any edits as required chaps...

Brandon quoth:
Suggestions:

1.  Components: 3 GB per season [duration determined at the time of casting, max 1 year]

2.  Regency: (1 RP + special) per season [duration determined at the time of casting, max 1 year]

3.  Replace "Any Construction, Commission, or Fortify action within the progress at 6 GB + 1 GB per 3 casting temple level" with "Any standard Construction or Fortify action within the province may progress as rapidly as 3 GB + 1 GB per 3 caster levels; any standard Commission Ship action within the province may progress as rapidly as 3 GB + 1/2 GB (rounded up) per 3 caster levels".

4.  Maybe increase the spell level (+1 for each type {arcane/divine/primordial})?

Regarding Commission Ship:

Is there some thing along the lines of Muster Army in Commission Ship (at least in part)?  If so, perhaps the spell could apply to Commission Ship at a lesser rate (for example, as suggested in #3, above)?

Harvey quoth:
Building something fast, comes at the expense of something which those resources could have been allocated towards. In some cases, it is a neccessity, hence why I thought of this spell (building pyramids came to mind for some reason).
With these particular changes, the spell has lost any tangible benefit -- if you need to case this spell and pay 8 GB to add 5 GB to a particular project (even knowing that you still need succeed at the action check), I don't think this spell is remotely useful anymore.

Divine Purpose
Components: 3 GB
Range: Medium
Taget: One Province
Regency: (1 RP + special) per season
Description: Any standard Construction, Commission or Fortify action within the province may progress as rapidly as 6 GB + 1 GB per 3 caster levels per season (to a maximum of 10 GB/season).  This spell only allows a domain to expend additional GB towards a projects completion.

Brandon quoth:
 1.  The spell is intended to allow magical accelerated construction without the +20% GB cost associated with mundane accelerated construction, no?  So, for every 1 GB spent on actual construction, there is a savings of 0.2 GB, no?  (This might not apply to failures, as failed accelerated construction may only cost 1 GB, not 1.2 GB:  but perhaps failed accelerated construction does cost 1.2 GB?) . . . Assuming the answer to the first two questions to be affirmative and assuming 5 GB worth of construction in a given season, the total savings would be 1 GB per project (and this could last for up to four seasons), no?

2.  Furthermore, the spell is intended to allow magical accelerated construction without the +5 DDC penalty associated with mundane accelerated construction, no?  Assuming the answer to that question to be affirmative, how much is that worth in GB?  Employing 5 points of influence could cost 5 GB; and this would necessarily force a die roll, no?  So, could this benefit of the spell (which does not necessarily force a die roll) not be considered *potentially* to be worth more than 5 GB per season per project (for up to four seasons)?

I quoth:
My view.

Benefits:
1.1. Rapid construction.
1.2. More efficient construction (no +20%).
1.3. No +5 DDC in the first turn through hasty construction - my understanding is that you only check once for a building, then it is automatic. So the benefit is far less (agitate&bless before you start, bribe guild advantage, chuck in an AA, good description, and get a +10 bonus in the first round - +5 DDC is not a problem)
1.4. Reduced number of court actions necessary for the building (a biggie going forward).

Drawbacks:
2.1. Cost of spell in GB to memorise.
2.2. Cost of spell in GB to cast.
2.3. Cost of spell in RP.
2.4. Cost of spell: action to memorise/cast (unless also casting/memorising another realm spell anyway).
2.5. Spell benefit may be usurped through use by non-friendly domains.

How about.
3.1. Any regent in good standing can spend additional court actions on the building works.
3.2. Maximum of 1 extra action applied to any construction project by any regent in the province per 3 levels of the caster - up to 3 extra actions spent.
3.3. No 1 GB increase in the cost for each action.  (+20% cost if you build+hurry each turn means 6 GB spend gives 5 GB construction, i.e. 1 GB cost of the standard hurry action).
3.4. L2 - i.e. 2 GB cost to memorise.
3.5. Casting cost 2 GB.
3.6. RP cost 2 per action.  (so more actions used means more need for the priest to exert influence)
3.7. Duration 1 season.  This makes it easier to balance costs, is no hardship to a temple on the BTHL grind every season, although it does cut the scope for betrayal of the temple.

This would seem to keep the court action cost the same, keep the base cost of the project the same, and simply:
a) substitute the spell for the hurry action i.e. swap the spell cost in GB for the hurry cost of 1 GB [cost evening out at 4 extra actions which is unlikely to be reached, so an increase overall in the cost] and

b) let large constructions be built over a 2-3 year span not a 5-10 year span.

The latter presumably being a benefit to the player (I can build it before my wife/etc says its the game or her) but less so to the realm (since the benefits are balanced by the build/maint cost not by the delay).

Even quoth:
1.2 At an additional cost of 4GB + RP per season, this seems to
account for a lot more than the +20% of hurried construction. Even
assuming 4 bonus actions with this spell, this amount (in GB) to the
same increase of 1GB extra spent per action.
1.3 No, a action check is required for each turn/action. So increasing
the number of actions per turn could increase the chance of failure.
1.4 This seems to be the only benefit. A reduced DDC, in exchange for
a large increase in action checks. THis could work assuming one gets
the DDC down to a level where on can Take 10.

3.2 How do you determine who gets the extra actions?
3.7 For spending a regent action to cast the spell each season, there
should surely be a more tangible benefit. Even a simple spell that
gives +5 on a construction action (to counter hurried construction)
would be of greater benefit.
Robhan Khaiarén

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »
1.2. Hmm, 4 actions indicates a L9 caster, which is at the high end.  cutting it by a GB makes it more balanced?  The RP spend is going to be fairly small, at 4 actions equivalent to 1 GB...

1.3. Rats, I'm building such small stuff it made no difference, but with a big assets, DC's above 14-15 could require regular spend.  Failure just means that no progress is made - perhaps the spell could improve efficiency so a failure just means you ignore the court action - so the extra 3 GB isn't lost, just the acceleration.

1.4. A very big benefit for a big building.  I was working on the view that building the asset quickly was supposed to be the main benefit, so I tried to keep the costs the same as far as possible in GB and action terms - but arguably it should indeed add something.  Would the failure=no gain / no loss provision above be good enough?

3.2. I figure it would be for set projects - any domain in the province could then use build actions on that project - they'd have to decide who did what, who owns it, and who pays for it that's all.

3.7. I was looking at the spell as a conversion rather than an enhancement, the benefit then primarily being speed.
Robhan Khaiarén